2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed here a few days ago and it was a super laid-back process. They sit you in a lounge room with the other applicants and your interviewer just comes to pick you up and then brings you back after. It was two interviews: 1 student, 1 faculty, open file. Definitely felt more conversational than anything, no grilling questions. After the interviews, they gave you lunch in the lounge room where MS2s and MS3s let us ask questions. Then, the medical students took us on a tour, we watched a short video about Stony Brook and if you didn't have any scheduled interviews for the afternoon session you were free to go!
 
Last edited:
interviewed here a few days ago and it was a super laid-back process. they sit you in a lounge room with all other students interviewing and your interviewer just comes to pick you up and then brings you back after. it was two interviews: 1 student, 1 faculty, open file. definitely felt more conversational than anything, no grilling questions. after the 2 they gave you lunch in the lounge room where MS2s and MS3s let us ask questions. Then went on a tour and watched a video about Stony Brook. Then if you didn't have any scheduled interviews for the afternoon session you were free to go!
What time did you have to get there? I'm planning on staying with my girlfriend who commutes to Stony who lives about 30-45 minutes away but if I need to get there by 8am I might change my plans.. the email said that they will give times in a confirmation email a week before which is kind of short notice imo. Good to hear that it's a laid back interview though! 60% acceptance is amazing! SB is likely my top choice as a LI native so I can't wait to interview here!
 
What time did you have to get there? I'm planning on staying with my girlfriend who commutes to Stony who lives about 30-45 minutes away but if I need to get there by 8am I might change my plans.. the email said that they will give times in a confirmation email a week before which is kind of short notice imo. Good to hear that it's a laid back interview though! 60% acceptance is amazing! SB is likely my top choice as a LI native so I can't wait to interview here!

Depends what time your interviews are, which they didn't say until a week before. I didn't have to be there until 10:30am but a majority of people were there before me and had earlier interviews. I'm not sure when the earliest one was though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What time did you have to get there? I'm planning on staying with my girlfriend who commutes to Stony who lives about 30-45 minutes away but if I need to get there by 8am I might change my plans.. the email said that they will give times in a confirmation email a week before which is kind of short notice imo. Good to hear that it's a laid back interview though! 60% acceptance is amazing! SB is likely my top choice as a LI native so I can't wait to interview here!
The earliest person in our group had to be there at 9:15 for a 9:30 interview. Hope this helps 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, for those who have already interviewed, would you know what the latest interview slot would be in the afternoon and around what time the latest everything would wrap up? I'm trying to make travel plans now, because I didn't want to wait til I got my schedule since it would be more expensive to buy things last minute. Thanks!
 
This might sound like a dumb question but how are people going about getting a "passport sized" picture of yourself like they ask for? I've been trying to print one at home but it comes out all pixelated and/or not the right size. Anyone who has already interviewed know what it's even for? Is it alright if it's not super clear/ not exactly the dimensions of a passport photo?
 
This might sound like a dumb question but how are people going about getting a "passport sized" picture of yourself like they ask for? I've been trying to print one at home but it comes out all pixelated and/or not the right size. Anyone who has already interviewed know what it's even for? Is it alright if it's not super clear/ not exactly the dimensions of a passport photo?
They probably just stick it on a cork board and throw darts at it to decide who to reject post interview
 
This might sound like a dumb question but how are people going about getting a "passport sized" picture of yourself like they ask for? I've been trying to print one at home but it comes out all pixelated and/or not the right size. Anyone who has already interviewed know what it's even for? Is it alright if it's not super clear/ not exactly the dimensions of a passport photo?
Go to a FedOx Office store (or something similar) and they will take your picture for you there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad