2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted today after interviewing the end of October. OOS
End of October?! You don't mean end of September? That's a lot faster than expected if you just interviewed a couple weeks ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Essay question? There are no essays after you get an interview... o_O
I think you misunderstood my question. I never said i interviewed, i applied late and just received a secondary application.

can anyone weigh in on the non P/F curriculum? Students from every medical school I've visited so far have warned me not to go to any school that isn't entirely P/F.

Hey guys, is there an official place where I can withdraw my application. I got the II, but I decided to not go so should I just email the lady who does scheduling and tell her that I would like to withdraw my application?

Hey guys, is there an official place where I can withdraw my application. I got the II, but I decided to not go so should I just email the lady who does scheduling and tell her that I would like to withdraw my application?
Emailing Ms. Acevedo would do

Do you guys know what the chances are of getting off of the wait list here?

If you look at MSAR they say their waitlist has about 300 people and 65 were extended offers ... so about a 21-22% chance of getting off the waitlist (not sure how old the numbers are and how consistent this data is from year to year)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think you misunderstood my question. I never said i interviewed, i applied late and just received a secondary application.

You said:
Just received a II, I applied in my senior year, does that mean I should answer the 2nd part of the first essay question?

Now I see the issue is you don't understand that "II" = "Interview Invite." I'm assuming you thought II meant "secondary" since it looks like the roman numeral for two. Simple miscommunication!

To answer your question, yes. Since you are applying your senior year you will have a gap year and should answer the question.

can anyone weigh in on the non P/F curriculum? Students from every medical school I've visited so far have warned me not to go to any school that isn't entirely P/F.

You can take what I have to say with a big grain of salt since I am also still just an applicant but... After visiting a number of schools and talking to friends and family who have been or are currently in Dental/ Med school, I would say, although a P/F curriculum is a positive factor in schools that have it, I personally wouldn't put TOO much weight on P/F versus H/P/F for the first couple of years when deciding on which medical school to attend. Things more important IMO are cost, quality of clinical education/ experiences/ opportunities during third and fourth year, how students perform on the STEP exams, and the general "culture" of the school, students and area (as in, how "comfortable" you think you will be living there and how well will you get along with your classmates.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that ALL schools will rank you during your first couple of years, regardless of the grading type.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! LM 70-73 complete August 2nd. Good Luck all!

Also only available int dates were after January 12th

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted today, interviewed 10/21. SB is my top choice and I thought my chances were good so this one definitely stung.

Waitlisted today, interviewed 10/21. SB is my top choice and I thought my chances were good so this one definitely stung.
Interviewed 10/25 so they're getting to me. I'm super nervous because it's my top choice too! Show an in-stater some love!!

Wow, that was fast. Waitlisted just now. That really hurt :(

Interviewed 10/25 so they're getting to me. I'm super nervous because it's my top choice too! Show an in-stater some love!!
Yep, as an in-stater who interviewed relatively early in the season and seeing SB's over 50% post interview acceptance rate, plus the fact I thought my interviews went well, I really thought I would get an acceptance here :/

Oh damn, sorry to hear that. At least for some of us it is simply a delayed acceptance! Just gotta stay positive.
I was already impatient waiting to hear back, but now it's even worse because we can be notified anytime from tomorrow until the start of orientation. But good luck!!! I'm rooting for you.

I was already impatient waiting to hear back, but now it's even worse because we can be notified anytime from tomorrow until the start of orientation. But good luck!!! I'm rooting for you.
Thanks! Good luck to you too! At least you can take comfort in knowing you have an acceptance somewhere! I envy you, I'm really just holding my breath for that first acceptance so that this stress can be taken off of me.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! At least you can take comfort in knowing you have an acceptance somewhere! I envy you, I'm really just holding my breath for that first acceptance so that this stress can be taken off of me.
Once you get your first acceptance you will definitely feel relieved. For me, I was just becoming comfortable with the idea that the application process "isn't so bad" then I got a post-interview rejection from another school and now this waitlist within the last 3 days. Don't give up yet, I know you'll get in somewhere and do amazing things!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, as an in-stater who interviewed relatively early in the season and seeing SB's over 50% post interview acceptance rate, plus the fact I thought my interviews went well, I really thought I would get an acceptance here :/
There that number may include acceptances off the waitlist though! Don't lose hope.

Once you get your first acceptance you will definitely feel relieved. For me, I was just becoming comfortable with the idea that the application process "isn't so bad" then I got a post-interview rejection from another school and now this waitlist within the last 3 days. Don't give up yet, I know you'll get in somewhere and do amazing things!
So happy to see the support on this page! i also got waitlisted, wishing us all the best this spring!

@partypantss @SirCardiac I interviewed a few days before you guys, and I haven't heard anything yet... I fear the worst.
It could also have to do with the specific people you interviewed with though. I don't think decisions go out in a timeline that precisely follows the interview days because some interviewers may take longer to submit their stuff to the committee. At least I know that's the case at some other schools.

No way of knowing one way or another though.

Just got accepted!! My first one, the feeling is truly euphoric, I will be Dr.Breezy :) Don't give up ya'll cause when you finally get that one, it will make all your hard work worth it. I interviewed Nov 1st.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! interviewed 10/28

Just received an acceptance from another school, and sent my withdrawal here. I hope that opens up space for one of the people currently waiting to hear about an interview, best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted! Was very surprised about this one because I thought my interview went really well. Congratulations to all those with acceptances! :clap:

Is stony brook now pass/fail or still honors/pass/fail in the first two years?

If you look at MSAR they say their waitlist has about 300 people and 65 were extended offers ... so about a 21-22% chance of getting off the waitlist (not sure how old the numbers are and how consistent this data is from year to year)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is this true for this year ? Why so many ppl off the wl? I feel like that's a really high number of WL to acceptance

Is this true for this year ? Why so many ppl off the wl? I feel like that's a really high number of WL to acceptance
That doesn't seem that high to me, I mean look at Albany's WL for example, where around 50% are given an acceptance. If you think about it, they only immediately give acceptances to the BEST candidates. Chances are, a lot of the very best candidates that they have are also going to eventually be getting acceptances at other, perhaps more prestigious schools. Some of those people are going to choose to go to one of these big name schools and withdraw their acceptance from SB.

That doesn't seem that high to me, I mean look at Albany's WL for example, where around 50% are given an acceptance. If you think about it, they only immediately give acceptances to the BEST candidates. Chances are, a lot of the very best candidates that they have are also going to eventually be getting acceptances at other, perhaps more prestigious schools. Some of those people are going to choose to go to one of these big name schools and withdraw their acceptance from SB.
That makes a ton of sense, thank you for the explanation. I am hopeful after reading your comment and will begin sending updates and what not to try to get off that WL. Do you happen to know if stony brook waits until April to accept off the WL or do they pull off WL during the interview cycle ?

That makes a ton of sense, thank you for the explanation. I am hopeful after reading your comment and will begin sending updates and what not to try to get off that WL. Do you happen to know if stony brook waits until April to accept off the WL or do they pull off WL during the interview cycle ?
SB waits until Spring unfortunately for us :/ Make sure that you only send updates if you actually have something significantly new to report. It's better to wait a while and send in one beefy update than 2 or 3 flimsy updates throughout the cycle.

SB waits until Spring unfortunately for us :/ Make sure that you only send updates if you actually have something significantly new to report. It's better to wait a while and send in one beefy update than 2 or 3 flimsy updates throughout the cycle.
I see, ok thank you very much! I will carefully consider my updates then....

To those who replied to the waitlist email saying they're interested in being on the waitlist, did you get a response from them?

Anyone still waiting to hear news from this school...? I was complete in June, Lizzy 74

they only send the essays to people who they want to accept. The rest of the people who interview without essay is interviewing for the waitlist.
Is this really true?
EDIT: Just saw the other SDN posts saying it's not true, never mind

Where do students live around here? I've heard most live off campus. Any particular nice areas for students?

Just got an II! LizzyM score of 66.7, IS, MCAT 511, Completed 10/19.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew today. Hopefully one of you gets my II slot!