2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else interviewing on 12/6?

12/6? I wasn't able to schedule one till 1/24. What day did you email to schedule yours if I may ask?

Members don't see this ad.

What do they reply with when you email them about an interview? Do they tell you the available dates ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody give a run down of interview day ?

I feel like they ran their interviews very efficiently. They give you a time to arrive -- if it's later in the morning, others will already have been interviewing by the time you arrive. They put you in a common room where applicants/interviewers will be coming in and out the whole time. Only during lunch will everyone be seated together and while eating, med students will give a short talk and then give the applicants a tour of the school. After lunch, several deans will come in to talk about the admissions process and financial aid. You may have another interview after these talks but if your interviews were scheduled in the morning, you're free to go!

It was definitely not a fluffy day and they got straight to business given how respectful they were of our time.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay sounds awesome I just got a II this past week, OOS LM 70-71, how far out does everybody think interview scheduling be ?

I was accepted to Stony Brook! Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 5 users
Rejected yesterday, pre-II. It's a shame, but what are you going to do? Just keep pushing forward. I hope you all do well!

27-->510 MCAT, 3.35-->3.88 GPA, non-trad student.

Rejected yesterday, pre-II. It's a shame, but what are you going to do? Just keep pushing forward. I hope you all do well!

27-->510 MCAT, 3.35-->3.88 GPA, non-trad student.

I'm sure you'll have luck elsewhere! When were you complete at Stony?

Just rejected, not terribly surprised given the incredible competition but slightly surprised since the other SUNYs showed me love.

Best of luck to the rest of you!

Just rejected, not terribly surprised given the incredible competition but slightly surprised since the other SUNYs showed me love.

Best of luck to the rest of you!
I'm sorry :( would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected. Complete 6/28 LM67-69 OOS non-URM.

so i just checked my portal and it says

" A final decision on your candidacy was emailed to you on 12/08/16."

for some context I was complete in July and have heard nothing since. I also have no email, nothing in spam, trash or junk.

what does mean?

so i just checked my portal and it says

" A final decision on your candidacy was emailed to you on 12/08/16."

for some context I was complete in July and have heard nothing since. I also have no email, nothing in spam, trash or junk.

what does mean?
If you interviewed I would email them to state the concern. If you are pre-II, the final decision would be a rejection unfortunately as they interview all candidates before accepting.

I'm sorry :( would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Finished secondary early August, marked complete first week of September

If you interviewed I would email them to state the concern. If you are pre-II, the final decision would be a rejection unfortunately as they interview all candidates before accepting.

Finished secondary early August, marked complete first week of September

yea, sorry, I didn't make it clear enough, I did not interview. Im a little confused being that I'm a NYS resident, with stats in range, the majority of my experiences are in that community, where I live, and also have significant clinical experience with SBUH (their hospital). I haven't even actually received an email, and I thought that emails were instant.

I am aware you have to interview to be accepted. I was curious if anyone else had been in this situation before? is there any chance that "final decision" means final "pre-ii" decision, as in they have finally decided to interview me, I hope.

Can someone please post the secondary login page where you can check your status? I cant seem to find it. Thanks!

Accepted today, interviewed first week of November! First one :D

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today as well! certainly an exciting email to receive!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone happen to know if Stony Brook does a second look/accepted students day? I didn't have much time to look around on my interview day and would love to have a better opportunity to get to know the school!

Does anyone happen to know if Stony Brook does a second look/accepted students day? I didn't have much time to look around on my interview day and would love to have a better opportunity to get to know the school!
There is a second look day. I think they send more info about it after being accepted.

I loved this school. Def. high up my list ... Just wished it was Pass/fail. But the interview day was amazing

Reactions: 1 users
Sometime in July? I can't remember the the exact week, but I've been holding on a while now. Hopefully there are better things for me in store :)

Best wishes to you. You've got this! :)

I loved this school. Def. high up my list ... Just wished it was Pass/fail. But the interview day was amazing

Unless they are changing things, Stony Brook is Pass/Fail/Honors. Which is essentially Pass/Fail for almost all of the class.

Unless they are changing things, Stony Brook is Pass/Fail/Honors. Which is essentially Pass/Fail for almost all of the class.
The honors part is what messes things up. SO its not a true pass fail school . Still love this school.

does anyone know how late in the cycle they interview/ offer II?

hey guys what time does interview day end exactly? I need to know so I can buy an airplane ticket home that same day

hey guys what time does interview day end exactly? I need to know so I can buy an airplane ticket home that same day
Depends on the schedule they give you when you arrive. Some people have both interviews in the morning and are done by 130. Others stay until 2-230.

I was the last one to arrive and the last one to leave on my interview day. I arrived at 10:45 and left around 4pm. My interviewer was stuck on the LIE so he was late by a good half an hour. If everything goes well, you can probably catch the 4:19 LIRR back to Jamaica, then air train to JFK (assuming you are flying here). The train ride will take about 2.5-3 hours to get from Stony Brook to the airport.

I was the last one to arrive and the last one to leave on my interview day. I arrived at 10:45 and left around 4pm. My interviewer was stuck on the LIE so he was late by a good half an hour. If everything goes well, you can probably catch the 4:19 LIRR back to Jamaica, then air train to JFK (assuming you are flying here). The train ride will take about 2.5-3 hours to get from Stony Brook to the airport.
did you rent a car for your interview there? do you think one is necessary/convenient?

did you rent a car for your interview there? do you think one is necessary/convenient?
Totally unnecessary. The train drops you off on campus and there is a bus (Outer Loop) you can take outside the train station that takes you right by the Hospital. The bus is free too.

Hey guys, I just want to remind you that, while SBU does not advertise it like some other schools do, they do have student hosts who are willing to host interviewees. If you are worried about transportation or would love to have a student perspective before your interview, you should definitely email Nancy to see if she can connect you with a student host.