2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys, I am a first year student at SBM. For those interviewing in the future, I have a gift certificate to the Holiday Inn Express on campus, it's worth $175, it's a free night and breakfast in bed. I am trying to get rid of it, since I don't think I will ever use it. If anyone is interested in taking it for $100 inbox me.

PS: if you have any question about, I can answer it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
guys, what is the best way to get from manhattan to stony brook? do I take a train/metro? if so, what train can I take? how do I get tickets?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, I am a first year student at SBM. For those interviewing in the future, I have a gift certificate to the Holiday Inn Express on campus, it's worth $175, it's a free night and breakfast in bed. I am trying to get rid of it, since I don't think I will ever use it. If anyone is interested in taking it for $100 inbox me.

PS: if you have any question about, I can answer it.

Is this still available? I inboxed you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II as well. looks like a batch went out. is anyone else international/canadian? msar stats from last year say they interviewed only 12 international students and accepted 9 which is a surprisingly high number.

II as well. looks like a batch went out. is anyone else international/canadian? msar stats from last year say they interviewed only 12 international students and accepted 9 which is a surprisingly high number.
****tt!! Those numbers look impressive! Congratz!! I'm Canadian as well but I'm still waiting for an ii (complete since August) :(

****tt!! Those numbers look impressive! Congratz!! I'm Canadian as well but I'm still waiting for an ii (complete since August) :(

i'm sure you'll get an invite. this is actually my only invite from the states so far. i have decent stats and 2 degrees so i'm not sure what other schools aren't responding to. wayne u was a backup for me and i haven't heard anything from them.

Non-Canadian international applicant here! Interviewed 12/20 and LOVED this school.

And I know right? The stats from last year was so exciting!

Non-Canadian international applicant here! Interviewed 12/20 and LOVED this school.

And I know right? The stats from last year was so exciting!

the tuition has be worried a bit. 376k usd + housing. that's well over half a million cad which would mean near a million when you factor interest into the student loan.

Pre-II rejection just now, OOS LizzyM 72, complete since early August. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today, interviewed early December.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your LizzyM?

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile
Mid 60s but I had tons of research and my interviewers practically blew so much wind up my ass during the interview day I almost feel out of my chair so I guess there was something about me which they thought fits with the school which surpassed just numbers.. Hopefully you hear good news soon friend

Mid 60s but I had tons of research and my interviewers practically blew so much wind up my ass during the interview day I almost feel out of my chair so I guess there was something about me which they thought fits with the school which surpassed just numbers.. Hopefully you hear good news soon friend
are you OOS or NY resident? congrats!

what makes stony brook special? any current med students want to share SBU's opportunities in research, volunteering etc?

what makes stony brook special? any current med students want to share SBU's opportunities in research, volunteering etc?

I'm not a student but when I interviewed there, the curriculum is what was most attractive to me:

Very abbreviated preclinical phase (16 months- closest I've seen was 18 at other schools I've visited) followed by "third year" rotations that include more than just the standard 6 (eg EM and anesthesia as required rotations) with step 1 AFTER "third year"

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not a student but when I interviewed there, the curriculum is what was most attractive to me:

Very abbreviated preclinical phase (16 months- closest I've seen was 18 at other schools I've visited) followed by "third year" rotations that include more than just the standard 6 (eg EM and anesthesia as required rotations) with step 1 AFTER "third year"

Thanks so much for the helpful info!!

dont be discouraged! I got accepted last week and I am Canadian!

Waitlisted! But planning on removing myself from the list.

Can anyone give the people waitlisted some advice or past experience of being on the waitlist?

Yikes! Waitlisted.

Not sure how to feel about it, is it completely hopeless or...?

waitlisted after interviewing in September..... 16 weeks later....:eyebrow:

Received an II yesterday! OOS LizzyM 70-73. Complete sometime in August. Will not be attending the interview tho so hopefully one of y'all will take my spot!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone sent a pre-II update? Couldn't find anything on here. Their website says they welcome updates, but it's under the contact information category, as in feel free to email them any changes in emails or addresses.

Is there usually much waitlist movement here?

The email I got said that historically ~30% of matriculants are from the waitlist.

Edit: didn't see the reply above haha

The email I got said that historically ~30% of matriculants are from the waitlist.

What email are you referring to? Is it something they sent to everyone or just a reply to your question? Thanks

Accepted today via email, beyond excited!!! Interviewed mid December. See y'all in August!

Reactions: 7 users

I was told ~30% by the office. I'll opt to believe that.

Well there can be a pretty big difference between the % of the matriculating class that came from the waitlist and the % on the waitlist that get admitted, those are two different things. The fact that 30% of the matriculating class come from the waitlist doesn't tell you what your chances are of getting admitted from the waitlist. That 30% of the matriculating class could make up 5% of the waitlist..

Well there can be a pretty big difference between the % of the matriculating class that came from the waitlist and the % on the waitlist that get admitted, those are two different things. The fact that 30% of the matriculating class come from the waitlist doesn't tell you what your chances are of getting admitted from the waitlist. That 30% of the matriculating class could make up 5% of the waitlist..
True. According to the MSAR, the WL pull off rate is closer to ~22%.

Sorry if this has asked, but is there an admitted students FB group? Thanks!