2016-2017 Stony Brook University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, I am a first year student at SBM. For those interviewing in the future, I have a gift certificate to the Holiday Inn Express on campus, it's worth $175, it's a free night and breakfast in bed. I am trying to get rid of it, since I don't think I will ever use it. If anyone is interested in taking it for $100 inbox me.

PS: if you have any question about, I can answer it.
 
guys, what is the best way to get from manhattan to stony brook? do I take a train/metro? if so, what train can I take? how do I get tickets?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, I am a first year student at SBM. For those interviewing in the future, I have a gift certificate to the Holiday Inn Express on campus, it's worth $175, it's a free night and breakfast in bed. I am trying to get rid of it, since I don't think I will ever use it. If anyone is interested in taking it for $100 inbox me.

PS: if you have any question about, I can answer it.

Is this still available? I inboxed you


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
II as well. looks like a batch went out. is anyone else international/canadian? msar stats from last year say they interviewed only 12 international students and accepted 9 which is a surprisingly high number.
 
II as well. looks like a batch went out. is anyone else international/canadian? msar stats from last year say they interviewed only 12 international students and accepted 9 which is a surprisingly high number.
****tt!! Those numbers look impressive! Congratz!! I'm Canadian as well but I'm still waiting for an ii (complete since August) 🙁
 
****tt!! Those numbers look impressive! Congratz!! I'm Canadian as well but I'm still waiting for an ii (complete since August) 🙁

i'm sure you'll get an invite. this is actually my only invite from the states so far. i have decent stats and 2 degrees so i'm not sure what other schools aren't responding to. wayne u was a backup for me and i haven't heard anything from them.
 
II as well. looks like a batch went out. is anyone else international/canadian? msar stats from last year say they interviewed only 12 international students and accepted 9 which is a surprisingly high number.
Non-Canadian international applicant here! Interviewed 12/20 and LOVED this school.

And I know right? The stats from last year was so exciting!
 
Non-Canadian international applicant here! Interviewed 12/20 and LOVED this school.

And I know right? The stats from last year was so exciting!

the tuition has be worried a bit. 376k usd + housing. that's well over half a million cad which would mean near a million when you factor interest into the student loan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your lizzyM?

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile
Mid 60s but I had tons of research and my interviewers practically blew so much wind up my ass during the interview day I almost feel out of my chair so I guess there was something about me which they thought fits with the school which surpassed just numbers.. Hopefully you hear good news soon friend
 
Mid 60s but I had tons of research and my interviewers practically blew so much wind up my ass during the interview day I almost feel out of my chair so I guess there was something about me which they thought fits with the school which surpassed just numbers.. Hopefully you hear good news soon friend
are you OOS or NY resident? congrats!
 
what makes stony brook special? any current med students want to share SBU's opportunities in research, volunteering etc?

I'm not a student but when I interviewed there, the curriculum is what was most attractive to me:

Very abbreviated preclinical phase (16 months- closest I've seen was 18 at other schools I've visited) followed by "third year" rotations that include more than just the standard 6 (eg EM and anesthesia as required rotations) with step 1 AFTER "third year"
 
I'm not a student but when I interviewed there, the curriculum is what was most attractive to me:

Very abbreviated preclinical phase (16 months- closest I've seen was 18 at other schools I've visited) followed by "third year" rotations that include more than just the standard 6 (eg EM and anesthesia as required rotations) with step 1 AFTER "third year"

Thanks so much for the helpful info!!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone sent a pre-II update? Couldn't find anything on here. Their website says they welcome updates, but it's under the contact information category, as in feel free to email them any changes in emails or addresses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The email I got said that historically ~30% of matriculants are from the waitlist.

Edit: didn't see the reply above haha
I was told ~30% by the office. I'll opt to believe that.

Well there can be a pretty big difference between the % of the matriculating class that came from the waitlist and the % on the waitlist that get admitted, those are two different things. The fact that 30% of the matriculating class come from the waitlist doesn't tell you what your chances are of getting admitted from the waitlist. That 30% of the matriculating class could make up 5% of the waitlist..
 
Well there can be a pretty big difference between the % of the matriculating class that came from the waitlist and the % on the waitlist that get admitted, those are two different things. The fact that 30% of the matriculating class come from the waitlist doesn't tell you what your chances are of getting admitted from the waitlist. That 30% of the matriculating class could make up 5% of the waitlist..
True. According to the MSAR, the WL pull off rate is closer to ~22%.