2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First and foremost, congratulations on your interview!

Do you guys mind sharing your [vague] stats? You can remain give general ranges if you'd like.

MCAT 518, GPA >3.9, IS

Members don't see this ad.

For those getting interviews, what dates were available still? Or what months are you interviewing in?

does anyone know the difference between the a 'complete' email (content: wait for decision/II) and an 'application received' email (content: wait for the application and payment to get process)?

I received a 'complete' email on 7/20, but a few minutes ago I received 'application received' email...it seems like I'm going backwards in the process

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the difference between the a 'complete' email (content: wait for decision/II) and an 'application received' email (content: wait for the application and payment to get process)?

I received a 'complete' email on 7/20, but a few minutes ago I received 'application received' email...it seems like I'm going backwards in the process

Was just gonna ask about this. Pretty sure the second email is an error on their part?

Just got the same email. Was wondering that as well. Had a complete email three weeks ago and now the application received email.

I just got the same email but I already have an interview scheduled lmao

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely an error then XD

alright good, because I was starting to make stories in my head thinking they tried to reject but pressed the wrong button. But since you have an II already, I feel better lol

Secondary Completed on 7/22. Got a confirmation email and everything

Got another email today..
Suny said:
Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University. Your application has been received!

Please allow two business days for your application and payment to process and register in your checklist as having been received.

Office of Admissions & Financial Aid

alrighty then.

I also received this email and an II a few days ago. I called the office, and the person I spoke with said to ignore it. It was probably generated in error.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Received II today too! Secondary confirmed complete on 7/27/16
MCAT: 34
cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.68

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning as well.

OOS, complete 7/13

Last edited:
II via email today! Secondary submitted 7/22.
LizzyM 71. IS
So, I heard this interview is an MMI. Any advice for this kind of interview?

Good luck everyone!

Do they consider LORs after the interview? They just received mine last week and got a II this week. I feel like that's a fast turn around.

Do they consider LORs after the interview? They just received mine last week and got a II this week. I feel like that's a fast turn around.

Personally, I don't think any school would expend an interview slot to a candidate without reading what others have to say about them first. More likely they just have an efficient adcom. Congratz on the II, just enjoy it haha

Also, got the II! Very excited as this is one of my favorite schools! I also received the "application received" email after I scheduled my interview, funny stuff.

On the secondary, where you have to fill out your course requirements, it asks to list course HOURS, but based on their hour examples, it seems as though they want course CREDITS. What should I put there?

Also, congrats to everyone who received a II!

EDIT: NVM, i just decided to put sem hours and grades from my amcas.

Last edited:
Is there any way to see our answers to the secondary questions? I like to look it over for each school before my interview, but I don't think SUNY upstate lets you see after you submit. I should of saved them haha.

Hmm... I'm seeing some mid-to-later July stuff and I was marked complete on 7/29, so hopefully there will be some news for us end-July folks in a couple of weeks.

Did anyone else get a "SUNY Upstate - Application Status" email yesterday? Thought it was a decision email (rejection/hold/interview) when I saw the subject haha.

Got this a few weeks after I had already received the "Complete" email, and it said "Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University. Your application has been received!"

Did anyone else get a "SUNY Upstate - Application Status" email yesterday? Thought it was a decision email (rejection/hold/interview) when I saw the subject haha.

Got this a few weeks after I had already received the "Complete" email, and it said "Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University. Your application has been received!"
Please refer to the posts from yesterday on this thread. In summary, you can ignore the email.

Anyone have any insight on the post-interview acceptance rates for OOS students? According to msar, 7/130 matriculate, so maybe they accept like 30-40?

Anyone have any insight on the post-interview acceptance rates for OOS students? According to msar, 7/130 matriculate, so maybe they accept like 30-40?

I think this was also mentioned above. Rather than a low acceptance rate, it's suspected that it is because OOS students CHOICE plays a factor in that statistic. As in, they mostly choose other schools / their own state schools because they are already competitive over Upstate.

I think this was also mentioned above. Rather than a low acceptance rate, it's suspected that it is because OOS students CHOICE plays a factor in that statistic. As in, they mostly choose other schools / their own state schools because they are already competitive over Upstate.

Yep that makes sense, I'm just hoping the OOS acceptance rate is similar to the in-state rate since I'm going to invest a lot of time preparing for MMIs now.

Yep that makes sense, I'm just hoping the OOS acceptance rate is similar to the in-state rate since I'm going to invest a lot of time preparing for MMIs now.

I'm not so sure about similarity to IS, but it sure is a lot better than 7/130 XD
Good luck!!

Thanks!! Feeling a little under qualified with everyone else here. LizzyM 68. But I'm excited! :happy:

Do you think it is necessary to explain my first MCAT score as a potential weakness? It wasn't super low in the first place but on my retake I did substantially better then the first time.

Just chekced the portal for the first time in over a week and I have an II! Never got an email, damn I should have been more crazy about checking more frequently!

Reactions: 3 users
Just chekced the portal for the first time in over a week and I have an II! Never got an email, damn I should have been more crazy about checking more frequently!
Haha thats an awesome surprise! When were you complete?

Same thing happened to me, now I've been manually checking all my apps in case it happens elsewhere haha

Just a heads up - I never got the complete email, but I called in because the portal said they had received all of my materials over a week prior. So they checked and told me that my file was actually complete!

I would suggest everyone to check their upstate application to see if their application is complete.

Last edited:
Haha thats an awesome surprise! When were you complete?
I received the complete email July 13.
I also got a weird "application status" email on August 8th that said my application was received. IDK what's up with that.

Congratulations to everyone who has received an II, and to those of you who have not heard yet, relax! The cycle is looong and your time will come.

Just to touch on a few things I've seen in the thread:

If you have received an II, and you're OOS, you've made it past the IS/OOS filter. From this point your application is considered the same as everyone else's, OOS, IS, or international.

For anyone who is worried or stressing about the MMI, relax! The MMI experience is actually quite fun and most applicants say they enjoyed it. Just go in, be yourself, and be professional. Like any other interview, make sure you know about some of the school-specific things happening, and show that you have an interest in the school and the population served.

Good luck, and hope to see you guys on campus soon!

ALSO:

I wanted to mention to anyone in the future who is reading this looking back. In September some applicants will likely be put on pre-interview hold. Although demoralizing, this is not a rejection. While I don't have any numbers, I can say anecdotally I was put on pre-interview hold in Sept and was later invited to interview, then accepted a few weeks later.

Remember, if you're applying from NY and have decent stats, there is a very good chance you'll receive an II at some point.

Congratulations to everyone who has received an II, and to those of you who have not heard yet, relax! The cycle is looong and your time will come.

If you have received an II, and you're OOS, you've made it past the IS/OOS filter. From this point your application is considered the same as everyone else's, OOS, IS, or international.

For anyone who is worried or stressing about the MMI, relax! The MMI experience is actually quite fun and most applicants say they enjoyed it. Just go in, be yourself, and be professional. Like any other interview, make sure you know about some of the school-specific things happening, and show that you have an interest in the school and the population served.

ALSO:

I wanted to mention to anyone in the future who is reading this looking back. In September some applicants will likely be put on pre-interview hold. Although demoralizing, this is not a rejection. While I don't have any numbers, I can say anecdotally I was put on pre-interview hold in Sept and was later invited to interview, then accepted a few weeks later.

Remember, if you're applying from NY and have decent stats, there is a very good chance you'll receive an II at some point.

Thanks for this, Monophasic. Hope to see you in early September :)

ALSO:

Do you know the percentage of interviewees that are extended acceptances?

Do you know the percentage of interviewees that are extended acceptances?

I don't, but the general rule of thumb is multiply the number of matriculated seats by 3 or 4 and you'll have the number of interviews offered.

ALSO:

Thank you so much for your insight! Would you mind sharing if you were IS or OOS?

II on 8/8, complete 7/15, LizzyM ~70-72, re-app but not to SUNY upstate, date of interview 10/3, OOS