2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am oos as well. From previous years, the wait-list should at least move, so the fact that it hasn't at all probably means they could still be processing everything. Also, since they over-accept, the influx of accepts and declines must be quite a mess to go through which is why it might take a while. I'm still hoping... best of luck to you :)

right, i'm hoping for the best as well... good luck to you too! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey all :) I'm pretty far down on the OOS waitlist (50s, not much hope) and saw I moved up one spot!

hey all :) I'm pretty far down on the OOS waitlist (50s, not much hope) and saw I moved up one spot!

i moved one as well but it was either on friday/over the weekend when I checked yesterday. there wasn't any movement for me today though. don't give up hope, anything could happen :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS hasn't moved since Thursday.. I suppose that's a bad sign :/

lol, all we can do is be patient. we can't predict when people will drop/withdraw

Reactions: 1 users
I've lost all patience at this point

you have to think positively my friend. the oos waitlist moves different # every year so anything can happen. in the meantime, continue improving your application in case you have to reapply and/or send letters of interests if you are on other waitlists :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted off oos wait list... trying to make decision now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone called to ask what they expect OOS waitlist movement to be like? I remember they told us to ask about 2 weeks after April 30th :)

Congrats to all the waitlist people, hope you choose to attend.

M1 ended for us today!

Reactions: 2 users
Just dropped acceptance offer at Carver. I was OOS. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all the waitlist people, hope you choose to attend.

M1 ended for us today!
Hi Cawolf, congrats on finishing up M1! Now that it's finished, do you have any retrospective advice for preM1s?

Hi Cawolf, congrats on finishing up M1! Now that it's finished, do you have any retrospective advice for preM1s?

I think in retrospect, I would make sure to take advantage of all the awesome resources available to you sooner rather than later. Clubs, groups, lunches, volunteering, tutoring, etc. They do a good job of sharing things with you early, but if you pass on the mailing lists, you might miss out on things you would really enjoy!

Reactions: 3 users
any current medical students can share the M1 schedule and what textbooks will be used? I could not find that information.

thanks so much for the information @ Cawolf

Hey cawolf, do all students usually buy the entire required equipment (like otoscope etc.)? There was a note that some exam rooms have the equipment, but it seems like being able to practice off campus would be awesome.

I don't personally know anyone who bought an otoscope/ophthalmoscope. If you really want to practice, there is open access to the exam rooms when they are not being used. Every room has all needed equipment aside from a stethoscope. It seems like everyone bought a stethoscope and depending on interest, the other items (penlight, hammer, tape, etc) are really cheap.

Also, those units (HEENT) are not until second semester, so you can wait and see if you think you want them.

do students do research during the school year or just during the summer?

do students do research during the school year or just during the summer?

The bulk of it is definitely during pre-M1 or post-M1 summer, as that is where the free time is. Many students also choose to do research electives during the advanced clerkships. As far as during the semester, I can't speak for the later years, but it appears to be mostly continuations of prior projects (as opposed to new research).

so do students still have time to do research during M1 semester besides handling all the course work and tests? thanks

so do students still have time to do research during M1 semester besides handling all the course work and tests? thanks

I was not personally involved in research during M1, so I may not be the best resource. From my small sample size, I knew of a few people continuing to work on their pre-M1 summer projects. There are also the MSTP students, but I think they even don't do that much during the year.

any current medical students can share the M1 schedule and what textbooks will be used? I could not find that information.
As far as textbooks go, I would hold off on buying anything because the counseling office has a huge selection of books that are free to check out for the year. I'd recommend going early and taking a look before some of the more popular texts are taken. Fwiw I checked out like 4 and never used them haha. The only thing I (and @Cawolf too, I believe) found really helpful was BRS Anatomy. I purchased my own copy on Amazon.

As far as textbooks go, I would hold off on buying anything because the counseling office has a huge selection of books that are free to check out for the year. I'd recommend going early and taking a look before some of the more popular texts are taken. Fwiw I checked out like 4 and never used them haha. The only thing I (and @Cawolf too, I believe) found really helpful was BRS Anatomy. I purchased my own copy on Amazon.
Did you use any other books or resources
I think the book list is being released June 15th, but are there any other resources you found useful?

I agree with @EleanorAbernathyMD about not buying any books yet. I was able to get any book I wanted for for no additional cost; either through the counseling center (large library of books you can rent for the semester) or digitally through the health sciences library.

@GoCubsGo20 There really aren't any additional resources necessary for first semester aside from the lecture notes. The textbooks I liked were an anatomy atlas and BRS anatomy. Second semester you get more into pathology, for which I bought Pathoma. I know some people bought an anatomy app (essential anatomy?) but I preferred the atlas and a cadaver. The lecture notes are quite comprehensive and professors always provide recommended readings, but rarely (ever?) did I do one.

Did you use any other books or resources

I think the book list is being released June 15th, but are there any other resources you found useful?

I bought the Essential Anatomy app and used it early on, but much preferred hands-on in the lab with my Netter's Atlas. I didn't find the app useful enough for the money I spent. Buying Netter's is kind of a rite of passage (but again, not a requirement). You will be required to purchase one with your lab group for use solely in the anatomy lab. Color Atlas is also really good, but you can access it online via the Hardin Library site.

Like @Cawolf, I got Pathoma second semester and it was the best decision ever. You won't need it until then, so save your money. Someone in our class also got them to offer a discount code late in the semester, so if someone in your class arranged it earlier, you'd save a pretty penny.

what is the counseling center? and where to get the lecture notes? thanks to both of you for providing very helpful info.

what is the counseling center? and where to get the lecture notes? thanks to both of you for providing very helpful info.

The counseling center is down the hall in MERF and contains a room where you can borrow all sorts of books. Details here: Student Counseling | MD Program

The lecture notes are provided for each course in the ICON site (course website). These vary in timeliness from being uploaded at the start of the semester to the morning of class. Course directors seem to have their lectures organized at the start, but as you get more specialized, guest lecturers who are experts present individual lectures or lecture sets. They are usually pretty good about getting their materials to the course managers to upload, but each one is different. For example, biochem is taught by one professor, and all materials were uploaded at the start. Compare that to our reproductive pathology series, where a different pathologist covered each part, so the materials were more variable in when they were uploaded.

Thanks so much. Are the students ranked by GPAs?

thanks. I heard all medical schools rank students somewhere. not sure if it is true. If no ranking, how students will be nominated to things like alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society?

thanks. I heard all medical schools rank students somewhere. not sure if it is true. If no ranking, how students will be nominated to things like alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society?

The pre-clinical science courses and most rotations are graded H/H-/P/F. Students in the top 25% of the class based on honors hours fill out an application that covers service, leadership, and research. Then they induct 1/12 of the class, twice, for a maximum of 1/6 of the class being AOA.

Do any current Iowa students have recommendations on ECE placements? Is it best to stay on campus or is there a benefit to traveling off campus to visit practices (some sites are 1 hour away)? Is an ECE ED visit a good experience?

Thank you!

Do any current Iowa students have recommendations on ECE placements? Is it best to stay on campus or is there a benefit to traveling off campus to visit practices (some sites are 1 hour away)? Is an ECE ED visit a good experience?

Thank you!

You don't really get to choose where your ECE will be, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I selected that I could drive and got every ECE scheduled in the hospital. So again, wouldn't put too much stock in that choice. It is mostly just random placement. I would not willingly do it an hour away if I could choose.

You don't really get to choose where your ECE will be, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I selected that I could drive and got every ECE scheduled in the hospital. So again, wouldn't put too much stock in that choice. It is mostly just random placement. I would not willingly do it an hour away if I could choose.

Thanks for your advice!

Just pulled off of the OOS waitlist, and I started at #39! I will be declining, so get ready #40!

as an incoming M1, do we need to buy the medical instruments?

it seems that everyone buys the Anatomy book, which one to buy?

I got my acceptance! OOS #46. There is hope for people with higher waitlist numbers :)