2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that one of the schools I've been accepted to has offered a spot to 145 students but they're only planning on a class size of 125.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I did a little digging, (sorry your anectodal data didn't convince me outright, that's the scientist in me) and found this:

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

It says that on March 15 all AMCAS schools have to have issued acceptance to at least the number of seats in the class. So it is possible that they accept more than they have seats for.

I highly doubt that they do this since the numbers from MSAR--and the assessment day--don't support it, however, let's be rational here: we know that they pull people off of the alternate list through June regardless of whether or not they extend 160 acceptances from day one per the last several years of SDN reports and current student responses.

Maybe they've changed things or maybe that physician was trolling. Either way if you're on the alternate list you have a chance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, from what I understand it is very common to offer more seats than you have available. I am sure that they are still conservative knowing what the historical percent of students that choose other schools is. I talked with a med student from Stanford University who said his year fewer students took other offers then the school anticipated and they ended up asking a couple students to differ for the year and start in the next class. I think these types of situations are rare, but offering more spots than you have seems normal (unless you are USUHS)

Do you guys think its possible to find stats (or if current students know) how many students out of those that were interviewed in previous cycles were offered acceptances, and how many declined their offer? That might give some us some insights, although it might be highly variable year to year.

I did a little digging, (sorry your anectodal data didn't convince me outright, that's the scientist in me) and found this:

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

It says that on March 15 all AMCAS schools have to have issued acceptance to at least the number of seats in the class. So it is possible that they accept more than they have seats for.

I usually get along very well with scientifically-minded folks
And I have been placed on the alternate list, hence the perhaps somewhat extreme curiosity ha

WARNING: INSANELY LONG POST!! Hey everyone! I have been rejected here twice in a row. While at first I was definitly frustrated, given that I have reasonably strong ties to the university and the medical school (for someone who did not graduate from the U for undergrad-- I'm IS though), I have accepted the fact that there are simply too many great candidates for the number of seats available. I really do believe that there were a huge number of applicants (myself included) that would make excellent physicians, but there were not enough seats to share with everyone. That being said, a friend and I were having a discussion after we both were rejected by the U, and we discussed the perceived struggle that the U has with sifting through the sea of premeds from Utah with seemingly very similar ethnic demographics (read: the white Mormon male). My friend expressed his frustration at the U for feeling discriminated against for fitting the previously-mentioned demographic. From what I have gathered by talking to other premeds from around Utah, I think that he isn't alone in feeling this way. This got me curious, so I looked at the available data from AAMC and UUSOM, and I found some interesting data:

The U received 3,871 applications total this year: 3,368 were OOS (~87%), 503 were IS (~13%). In total, 2,323 were male (~60%) and 1,548 were female (~40%). Nationally, the applicant pool is about 52.5% male on average. That being said, I estimated that the OOS applicant pool could be roughly 56% male (1,886 applicants-- a generous figure definitely on the higher end of what most med schools receive). In order to balance the male applicant pool to the previously-mentioned 60% (it's 60.4% to be precise), this would mean that roughly 87% of all IS applicants were male (437 applicants out of 503 total). Also, for what it's worth, AAMC reported that of all med school applicants with Utah residency (total: 583), nearly 82% (478) were white-- I didn't use that information further though. The 2016-2017 application cycle data shows that there were 125 matriculants, with 70% (88 students) coming from IS and 30% (37 students) coming from OOS. 56% of the class (70 students) were men, 44% (55 students) were women. Given the previous information, that means that women have a roughly 3.6% chance of acceptance if they apply, and men have right around a 3% chance of acceptance. Also, according to the U, "approximately 500 interviews are extended each year."

This is where my calculations become fuzzy, but this is based off of my two interview experiences only. My interview last year and this year both had 12 interviewees, and both had 10 male applicants and 2 female applicants (roughly 83% male). If you apply that ratio to the rest of the interview days (which is admittedly dicey and probably fairly inaccurate), 417 of the 500 interviewees would be male, while 83 were female. Given that 55 females were accepted, and assuming that my numbers are even close to a ballpark estimate, you have about a 66% chance of being accepted as a male (16.8%), nearly 4x more likely to be accepted based on the fact that you showed up for your interview. Also, assuming that the above 87% IS male applicant ratio is true, then that means that only 66 IS females applied. If the ratio of IS females accepted to OOS females accepted holds even at 70%/30%, then the U accepted 39 IS females-- meaning if you are an IS female in Utah, you have a ~59% chance of getting accepted. I have a feeling that this can't be accurate; let me know what you guys think about my calculations and/or let me know if I am full of complete crap.

That is only one parameter (gender) that I decided to explore before I got bored. But even so, it is interesting to think about. Honestly, to me, this little exercise just showed me, if anything, the difficult job that the admissions staff has to do in order to get through the surprisingly homogeneous in-state applicant pool. There were plenty of other interesting facts too (like the fact that BYU applicants constituted roughly 75% of all of the med school applicants from the state of Utah, and more than 95% of those applicants were white, meaning that, with some more fuzzy math, that possibly more than half of the IS applications came from white BYU undergrads-- assuming that a decent majority applied to the U and that a decent majority had IS status. You could also interpret this as saying that a HUGE portion of the IS applicant pool this year consisted of white Mormon males from BYU.). It's really disappointing to not be able to study at a good school like the U, but the more I looked into it, given the information available, the odds of getting in as a white male are slim-- and that is coming from a reapplicant who took the admission committee's "list of improvements I could make" very seriously and improved in every single parameter that they recommended I improve in. At this point, I am ready to move on. I apologize again for the length of this post. Best wishes to all who got sad news/are waiting for good news from the waitlist, and good luck to all incoming matriculants. You are a special breed of people, and don't EVER take for granted your acceptance to medical school-- there are many more who would be very very grateful to receive that call from Dr. Chan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
WARNING: INSANELY LONG POST!! Hey everyone! I have been rejected here twice in a row. While at first I was definitly frustrated, given that I have reasonably strong ties to the university and the medical school (for someone who did not graduate from the U for undergrad-- I'm IS though), I have accepted the fact that there are simply too many great candidates for the number of seats available. I really do believe that there were a huge number of applicants (myself included) that would make excellent physicians, but there were not enough seats to share with everyone. That being said, a friend and I were having a discussion after we both were rejected by the U, and we discussed the perceived struggle that the U has with sifting through the sea of premeds from Utah with seemingly very similar ethnic demographics (read: the white Mormon male). My friend expressed his frustration at the U for feeling discriminated against for fitting the previously-mentioned demographic. From what I have gathered by talking to other premeds from around Utah, I think that he isn't alone in feeling this way. This got me curious, so I looked at the available data from AAMC and UUSOM, and I found some interesting data:

The U received 3,871 applications total this year: 3,368 were OOS (~87%), 503 were IS (~13%). In total, 2,323 were male (~60%) and 1,548 were female (~40%). Nationally, the applicant pool is about 52.5% male on average. That being said, I estimated that the OOS applicant pool could be roughly 56% male (1,886 applicants-- a generous figure definitely on the higher end of what most med schools receive). In order to balance the male applicant pool to the previously-mentioned 60% (it's 60.4% to be precise), this would mean that roughly 87% of all IS applicants were male (437 applicants out of 503 total). Also, for what it's worth, AAMC reported that of all med school applicants with Utah residency (total: 583), nearly 82% (478) were white-- I didn't use that information further though. The 2016-2017 application cycle data shows that there were 125 matriculants, with 70% (88 students) coming from IS and 30% (37 students) coming from OOS. 56% of the class (70 students) were men, 44% (55 students) were women. Given the previous information, that means that women have a roughly 3.6% chance of acceptance if they apply, and men have right around a 3% chance of acceptance. Also, according to the U, "approximately 500 interviews are extended each year."

This is where my calculations become fuzzy, but this is based off of my two interview experiences only. My interview last year and this year both had 12 interviewees, and both had 10 male applicants and 2 female applicants (roughly 83% male). If you apply that ratio to the rest of the interview days (which is admittedly dicey and probably fairly inaccurate), 417 of the 500 interviewees would be male, while 83 were female. Given that 55 females were accepted, and assuming that my numbers are even close to a ballpark estimate, you have about a 66% chance of being accepted as a male (16.8%), nearly 4x more likely to be accepted based on the fact that you showed up for your interview. Also, assuming that the above 87% IS male applicant ratio is true, then that means that only 66 IS females applied. If the ratio of IS females accepted to OOS females accepted holds even at 70%/30%, then the U accepted 39 IS females-- meaning if you are an IS female in Utah, you have a ~59% chance of getting accepted. I have a feeling that this can't be accurate; let me know what you guys think about my calculations and/or let me know if I am full of complete crap.

That is only one parameter (gender) that I decided to explore before I got bored. But even so, it is interesting to think about. Honestly, to me, this little exercise just showed me, if anything, the difficult job that the admissions staff has to do in order to get through the surprisingly homogeneous in-state applicant pool. There were plenty of other interesting facts too (like the fact that BYU applicants constituted roughly 75% of all of the med school applicants from the state of Utah, and more than 95% of those applicants were white, meaning that, with some more fuzzy math, that possibly more than half of the IS applications came from white BYU undergrads-- assuming that a decent majority applied to the U and that a decent majority had IS status. You could also interpret this as saying that a HUGE portion of the IS applicant pool this year consisted of white Mormon males from BYU.). It's really disappointing to not be able to study at a good school like the U, but the more I looked into it, given the information available, the odds of getting in as a white male are slim-- and that is coming from a reapplicant who took the admission committee's "list of improvements I could make" very seriously and improved in every single parameter that they recommended I improve in. At this point, I am ready to move on. I apologize again for the length of this post. Best wishes to all who got sad news/are waiting for good news from the waitlist, and good luck to all incoming matriculants. You are a special breed of people, and don't EVER take for granted your acceptance to medical school-- there are many more who would be very very grateful to receive that call from Dr. Chan.
Good thing I fit that demographic like a tight nitrile glove. But I did get on the alternate list at least.

If the ratio of IS females accepted to OOS females accepted holds even at 70%/30%, then the U accepted 39 IS females-- meaning if you are an IS female in Utah, you have a ~59% chance of getting accepted. I have a feeling that this can't be accurate; let me know what you guys think about my calculations and/or let me know if I am full of complete crap.

Hmm...while I have no doubt that the trend you recognize may be accurate (namely, white males being over-represented in the applicant pool at the U) I would strongly caution against reading too much into that information when it comes to interpreting individual outcomes. I think, as you stated at the beginning of your post, there are just more well qualified applicants who would make excellent physicians than there are spots. Personally, I am an IS female nixed pre-interview at the U, and I'd like to think I'm no slouch (interviews at 2 top 10 medical schools). A friend is an IS black woman, who despite being an "attractive demographic" (as well as brilliant btw) was waitlisted by the U, which was her top choice. Another friend, who is a white male and all-around nice guy, similarly is sitting on the waitlist at the U hoping for good news. Basically, getting into medical school anywhere is a privilege not to be taken for granted. Believe it or not, we are each evaluated independently and there is no demographic that guarantees acceptance. It's definitely no fun to be left disappointed at the end of a medical school application cycle (I was a reapplicant too this year, so I know the feeling), try to remember that the process is as fair as they know how to make it and that the only thing within our control is our own self-improvement (eventually persistence pays off). Wishing you every success in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Has anyone following this thread already decided to withdraw their application and/or accept a position elsewhere?
I think that information would be really helpful for those who are waiting on the alternate list. Really appreciate it!:woot:
(and if you guys can specify if you were accepted or waitlisted)

Hey everyone! Has anyone following this thread already decided to withdraw their application and/or accept a position elsewhere?
I think that information would be really helpful for those who are waiting on the alternate list. Really appreciate it!:woot:
(and if you guys can specify if you were accepted or waitlisted)
I am on the waitlist, but I know 4 accepted people that won't be attending. 3 will withdraw and go to other schools, and 1 is deferring until next year.

I am on the waitlist, but I know 4 accepted people that won't be attending. 3 will withdraw and go to other schools, and 1 is deferring until next year.
Will they wait until May to withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)

I can understand your frustration of consistently not getting in, but please spare us of how difficult it is to be a white, male, LDS, BYU grad in Utah. It's not. You guys run the state. You guys wrote a law that the med school calls the "BYU law" because it specifically opened up more in state spots to BYU graduates from ANY state (not just Utah). Also, medicine is one of the few fields that is enhanced by diversity.

Also, Utah accepts ANY BYU grads as in state. No need to have grown up there, or have any other ties. Most states are not that generous.

Maybe move out of the happy valley and do something that 500 other BYU kids didn't also do. I have lots of friends who are LDS and BYU grads and they will make great doctors. But I also gave ~10 interview tours, all of them were from BYU, and all of them were the exact same person--a nice, polite person, who will make a decent doctor, but when hundreds of people fit that description, they all kind of become the same.

Last edited:
I can understand your frustration of consistently not getting in, but please spare us of how difficult it is to be a white, male, LDS, BYU grad in Utah. It's not. You guys run the state. You guys wrote a law that the med school calls the "BYU law" because it specifically opened up more in state spots to BYU graduates from ANY state (not just Utah). Also, medicine is one of the few fields that is enhanced by diversity.

Also, Utah accepts ANY BYU grads as in state. No need to have grown up there, or have any other ties. Most states are not that generous.

Maybe move out of the happy valley and do something that 500 other BYU kids didn't also do. I have lots of friends who are LDS and BYU grads and they will make great doctors. But I also gave ~10 interview tours, all of them were from BYU, and all of them were the exact same person--a nice, polite person, who will make a decent doctor, but when hundreds of people fit that description, they all kind of become the same.

I know I'm just cherry-picking a small portion of your quote, and I'm not disagreeing with you on the majority of your post, but do you think giving a 30 minute tour around a medical campus to a prospective student is enough time to determine whether that student will be a poor, decent, good, or great doctor?

Thanks for your input, as well as everyone else's. For what it's worth, I did not attend BYU, nor did I ever desire to attend school there. I am not from Utah (though I am now a Utah resident), and I have lived in several different states around the US. I can't speak for the "BYU law," but given that they are by far the largest pre-med institution in Utah, it would make sense that there would be a higher percentage of BYU grads at the U's medical school than other institutions.

I also got a sense from your tone that you don't have a particularly positive view of Mormons, or at least white Mormon premeds from BYU that apply to the U. Don't know what to tell you on that one; this is Utah, and Mormons did settle here and play a major role in the formation of the state. I would be happy to take a look at the BYU law; without an official name, a quick google search didn't turn up any results. If you know where to find info on that, I would be interested to read about it.

I totally agree with you when it comes to diversity; I have learned that I learn best in a group with multiple perspectives. Assuming that you are not a member of the LDS community, I would think it is easier to not have empathy for the situation of the white Mormon male premed in Utah, but it really is a real thing. The numbers are available. I think that the best type of diversity is experiential diversity, which doesn't always go hand-in-hand with ethnic diversity-- especially in Utah. Many Mormons take a two-year break to serve missions in foreign countries and learn languages and see how the world operates from a different perspective. In my mind, I can't think of a lot of different people that take an entire two years and leave their families to go to a country that they have never been to, learned a language they have little to no familiarity with, to serve and live with the people there. Unfortunately, even that experience is not considered unique by Utah standards.

I don't know why I didn't get accepted or even waitlisted, but I did feel like I had enough experiential diversity-- I too served a mission, speak three languages fluently, have worked as a teacher for the MCAT exam as well as for other non-science subjects, founded and grew an international service organization, I am an accomplished pianist having performed for large audiences, and conducted free volunteer research at the U's medical school for 10 months on my dime (as I lose a day of work to travel the almost ~2 hour drive to and from SLC every week), to name a few of the things I have done. I had a terrible interview experience due to no fault of my own-- for my traditional interview, they paired me with an individual I had stated I knew (after just having heard Dr. Chan say that they made sure that we wouldn't be paired with people we knew) and so they had to give me an impromptu interview with someone else, who then asked me inappropriate questions in my interview, thus prompting a FOURTH one-on-one interview (conducted at a later date, after they found someone who could actually review my application before interviewing me). It was definitely unfortunate. I believe I interview well, and I don't get too nervous; but either way, that was a crappy situation all around.

I worked hard to get to the U this year, and it would have been really great to go there. The U is a great institution. I don't know what else I could have done to stand out, especially given my circumstances of living in relatively small-town Utah. I don't mean to start a fight, but it isn't just as easy as "move out of Happy Valley and see how the world is really like." Especially when you have a family, and a wife who has a career. And when you've never lived in Happy Valley. And when you never attended BYU. Either way, I appreciate the thoughts, and I posted originally intending to start a dialogue. Hope this lends some additional perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your input, as well as everyone else's. For what it's worth, I did not attend BYU, nor did I ever desire to attend school there. I am not from Utah (though I am now a Utah resident), and I have lived in several different states around the US. I can't speak for the "BYU law," but given that they are by far the largest pre-med institution in Utah, it would make sense that there would be a higher percentage of BYU grads at the U's medical school than other institutions.

I also got a sense from your tone that you don't have a particularly positive view of Mormons, or at least white Mormon premeds from BYU that apply to the U. Don't know what to tell you on that one; this is Utah, and Mormons did settle here and play a major role in the formation of the state. I would be happy to take a look at the BYU law; without an official name, a quick google search didn't turn up any results. If you know where to find info on that, I would be interested to read about it.

I totally agree with you when it comes to diversity; I have learned that I learn best in a group with multiple perspectives. Assuming that you are not a member of the LDS community, I would think it is easier to not have empathy for the situation of the white Mormon male premed in Utah, but it really is a real thing. The numbers are available. I think that the best type of diversity is experiential diversity, which doesn't always go hand-in-hand with ethnic diversity-- especially in Utah. Many Mormons take a two-year break to serve missions in foreign countries and learn languages and see how the world operates from a different perspective. In my mind, I can't think of a lot of different people that take an entire two years and leave their families to go to a country that they have never been to, learned a language they have little to no familiarity with, to serve and live with the people there. Unfortunately, even that experience is not considered unique by Utah standards.

I don't know why I didn't get accepted or even waitlisted, but I did feel like I had enough experiential diversity-- I too served a mission, speak three languages fluently, have worked as a teacher for the MCAT exam as well as for other non-science subjects, founded and grew an international service organization, I am an accomplished pianist having performed for large audiences, and conducted free volunteer research at the U's medical school for 10 months on my dime (as I lose a day of work to travel the almost ~2 hour drive to and from SLC every week), to name a few of the things I have done. I had a terrible interview experience due to no fault of my own-- for my traditional interview, they paired me with an individual I had stated I knew (after just having heard Dr. Chan say that they made sure that we wouldn't be paired with people we knew) and so they had to give me an impromptu interview with someone else, who then asked me inappropriate questions in my interview, thus prompting a FOURTH one-on-one interview (conducted at a later date, after they found someone who could actually review my application before interviewing me). It was definitely unfortunate. I believe I interview well, and I don't get too nervous; but either way, that was a crappy situation all around.

I worked hard to get to the U this year, and it would have been really great to go there. The U is a great institution. I don't know what else I could have done to stand out, especially given my circumstances of living in relatively small-town Utah. I don't mean to start a fight, but it isn't just as easy as "move out of Happy Valley and see how the world is really like." Especially when you have a family, and a wife who has a career. And when you've never lived in Happy Valley. And when you never attended BYU. Either way, I appreciate the thoughts, and I posted originally intending to start a dialogue. Hope this lends some additional perspective.

Hey dude, sorry about your interview situation... That's really crappy. I was also interviewed by a student I knew in my MMI interviews. I don't think it had any affect on my overall performance, but it was definitely jarring to see them in the room! Have you volunteered with underserved populations? This is something that I think the U values highly.

It's really a crapshoot, I know plenty of qualified people who simply just aren't picked from the pool. If you read what Dr. Chan said he explain this a little better from his stand point.

Honestly, I don't think being mormon, or a BYU student, or any race in particular has a huge stock on whether you get in or not, so I don't think it's worth your time to focus on this. I'm a non white, non mormon reapplicant, but I did not talk about my race or nonmormonism in my interview or essays at all. So you could say that I got accepted based solely on my experiences and accomplishments, and this is what I wanted, even though I could have emphasized my diverse background. Its all about your experiences and world view, you are responsible for making this happen! Fortunately this is easy to change and build upon.

Last edited:
Hi all, I was recently accepted off the waitlist but can't find any info on second look day, which I think is really soon? Could any accepted students message me a copy of the schedule or something like that? Hoping to book a flight soon and am guessing its already going to be crazy expensive. Thank you in advance! I did also try posting in the FB group.

Hi all, I was recently accepted off the waitlist but can't find any info on second look day, which I think is really soon? Could any accepted students message me a copy of the schedule or something like that? Hoping to book a flight soon and am guessing its already going to be crazy expensive. Thank you in advance! I did also try posting in the FB group.
I would call them, second look is this Friday morning starting around 8AM, and we had to RSVP by March 21st. My portal updated with the second look details so maybe check to see if yours did.

You should also note that second look day is not mandatory. It will definitely be a good experience but dr. Chan said it's okay if you are from out of town and can't make it.

You should also note that second look day is not mandatory. It will definitely be a good experience but dr. Chan said it's okay if you are from out of town and can't make it.

Thanks! Got it all figured out. I'm deciding between here and another school so wanted to try to make it work. Thanks all!

Hi all, on the wait list. Finishing my last pre-req and grades will be posted may 15th. Does anyone know if I should sent them over or only if I get accepted? Will my new grades good or bad move my ranking on the wait list?
Thanks

Thanks! Got it all figured out. I'm deciding between here and another school so wanted to try to make it work. Thanks all!

You should totally go to that other school, everyone says so. ;) Congrats on getting off the WL!

Hi all, on the wait list. Finishing my last pre-req and grades will be posted may 15th. Does anyone know if I should sent them over or only if I get accepted? Will my new grades good or bad move my ranking on the wait list?
Thanks

Your rank is set at this point, time to play the waiting game. April 30th can't come soon enough! Good luck to everyone in limbo.

You should totally go to that other school, everyone says so. ;) Congrats on getting off the WL!

Your rank is set at this point, time to play the waiting game. April 30th can't come soon enough! Good luck to everyone in limbo.
Why April 30th? Last day to hold multiple acceptances is May 15th?

I just received an email from the U saying that I received a small scholarship! Yay for a little less debt!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone get in off the waitlist in the last couple weeks? It's been awfully quiet on here..

Judging by the older threads I think it will be pretty quiet until around traffic day.

For those who may not have gotten in this year, here is an update for the next cycle. Huge news!
"Update on UUSOM application process for 2017-2018

Letters of Recommendation
For the 2017-2018 application cycle, we will require 3 letters of recommendation, but will not accept more than 4. Applicants can provide 3 or 4 letters from individuals of their choice; however, the following letters are recommended. We do not accept premedical committee letters.
We recommend that applicants provide at least one ACADEMIC letter where the letter writer can speak to the applicant’s academic ability and/or intellectual curiosity. This letter does not necessarily need to be from someone who directly taught the applicant. It can be from a professor the applicant did research with or a professor that supervised them as a teaching assistant.
We recommend that applicants provide at least one MENTORING letter where the letter writer can speak to the applicant’s commitment to service, leadership ability, growth as an individual, interpersonal and/or teamwork skills.

Letters from employers, military supervisors, athletic coaches, and/or religious leaders can also be part of the collection of 3 to 4 recommendations.

Recommended Activities
In an effort to discourage applicants from simply “checking off boxes,” we have made changes to our activities. Applicants will no longer be required to meet specific requirements; however, we recommend that they participate in the following activities.

Community/Volunteer Service
We recommend that you complete at least 36 total hours within the last 4 years. To be a competitive applicant, we recommend that you endeavor to complete at least 100 hours within last 4 years.

Leadership
We recommend that you have at least 1 leadership experience lasting 3 months within the last 4 years. Competitive applicants will have 3 different leadership experiences each lasting 3 months within the last four years.

Research (Hypothesis Based)
We recommend that you participate in hypothesis-based research. This may be part of a class where you answered or tested a hypothesis and received a grade. Examples: A writing project, laboratory work, etc.

Applicants with a stronger research experience will have completed hypothesis-based research outside of the classroom that is supervised by an individual with verifiable research credentials. This may include independent research or senior thesis.

Physician Shadowing/Observing

We recommend that you shadow a physician for at least 8 hours. Competitive applicants will have shadowed a variety of physicians for at least 24 hours.

Patient Exposure/Experience
We recommend that you complete at least 32 hours of direct patient care. Competitive applicants will have completed at least 48 hours.

GPA
All grades received for college credit are in included in the AMCAS GPA calculation. If a course is repeated, both grades for that course are included in the GPA. Applicants should strive to have a science, non-science and overall GPA above 3.20.

MCAT
All applicants are required to take the MCAT within 3 years of their application. Only the most recent MCAT score is considered. Applicants should strive to have an MCAT score at or above 492 with a score of at least 123 in each section of the MCAT.

Superior performance in MCAT and GPA are one factor, among many, that determine whether an application will be eligible for further consideration."

Speaking of Dr Lee, are there any current medical students on here that could comment on how the Dr Lee news is affecting life on campus? Is there uncertainty among the medical students or are you guys far enough removed from it all that it isn't really making a significant impact?

Just got the call! IS. Interviewed in Feb. Extremely grateful.

Reactions: 3 users
I got called up from the waitlist this morning. Interviewed January.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume if we don't get the call today we're probably not getting taken off the waitlist?

Is it safe to assume if we don't get the call today we're probably not getting taken off the waitlist?

Not at all. People currently accepted are getting pulled off of wait lists for other schools, which opens up more spots at the U so you just need to wait to see how the dominoes fall. Last year they accepted ~30 off the wait-list and a couple of those got the call the first week of June.

Not at all. People currently accepted are getting pulled off of wait lists for other schools, which opens up more spots at the U so you just need to wait to see how the dominoes fall. Last year they accepted ~30 off the wait-list and a couple of those got the call the first week of June.
Good point. Thanks for the head check haha

At least you have an acceptance! I feel like the Clippers right now.

The month of May is your game 7.

Except you already played the actual game a few months ago and you just don't know how it actually turned out. Lol

Accepted off the waitlist this morning as well! So excited to be joining some of you guys in Salt Lake!

Congrats to everyone accepted! I still get to play the over-analysis waiting game. Were all of you lucky people IS or OOS? I think if I have that information along with what color suits you wore to your interviews I might be able to pinpoint the minute I'll get a call from Dr. Chan.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I still get to play the over-analysis waiting game. Were all of you lucky people IS or OOS? I think if I have that information along with what color suits you wore to your interviews I might be able to pinpoint the minute I'll get a call from Dr. Chan.
OOS! Blue suit ;)