2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know the size of the waitlist? I've read 90 somewhere (maybe this forum or last year's) but don't have any real sources for that

Do we know the size of the waitlist? I've read 90 but don't have any sources for that
MSAR says approximately 90. And between 25-35 accepted from it. (If we are to trust the 160 acceptances --> 125 class size thing)

MSAR says approximately 90. And between 25-35 accepted from it. (If we are to trust the 160 acceptances --> 125 class size thing)
Cool thank you! Just looked through the interview packet and last year there were 39 accepted off the waitlist so that's good

Cool thank you! Just looked through the interview packet and last year there were 39 accepted off the waitlist so that's good
Huh. Didn't know the packet gave that specific number; thank you! Thoughts on whether we should fill out the financial aid thing if we're on the WL? I assume we should...

Huh. Didn't know the packet gave that specific number; thank you! Thoughts on whether we should fill out the financial aid thing if we're on the WL? I assume we should...
How do you access it?

How many Idaho applicants make it off of the wait list? I'm assuming none.

How do you access it?
There is a link to go to in the packet, though I tried to go to it and it wouldn't let me log in... Maybe waitlist people aren't entitled to supplemental aid if they get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a link to go to in the packet, though I tried to go to it and it wouldn't let me log in... Maybe waitlist people aren't entitled to supplemental aid if they get in?
I think you have to be a currently accepted student to access the application. I vaguely remember them saying that during the financial aid portion of the interview day.

Idaho Applicant, Dr Chan just called and I am in.

Reactions: 1 users
Idaho Applicant, Dr Chan just called and I am in.
Congrats, did you get an alternate email yesterday and then get off of it? Or no email and then the call?

Did you choose between utah and Washington?
I have not chosen, a lot of that depends my wife and what she wants to be involved in for the next several years. She has tentatively been offered a spot as adjunct faculty at the U of Idaho in Moscow if we go to UW, but there are a lot more opportunities in SLC.. So to be determined. I think either school will provide an excellent education.

Literally up all night thinking about how God-awful my interview must have gone that I hadn't gotten an email yet, then got the call from Dr. Chan this morning. Never give up hope, ladies and gentlemen.

Reactions: 1 user
Also got the call this morning at around 8:15. So excited right now!

To everybody who got waitlisted or rejected, good luck with everything. And don't give up hope, your time will come!

I think you have to be a currently accepted student to access the application. I vaguely remember them saying that during the financial aid portion of the interview day.
Well that's fair...... I mean, I'd be thrilled just to get in, but I don't think there should be a difference between a waitlist acceptance and a straight-up acceptance when it comes to financial aid.

Dr. Chan just posted this on the FB group. Sorry to all those who have been rejected. To everyone who is waitlisted, good luck. I hope you make it in. On interview day, they said that you can't apply for scholarships the first year if you are accepted off the waitlist. You should probably fill out your fafsa though.

Good morning everyone,

As you may have heard, we have notified all applicants about if they were not accepted or made the alternate list (all allopathic medical schools have agreed to notify everyone where they stand by tonight).

It was an extremely competitive process this year, perhaps the strongest in years. We have so many highly qualified people applying and not enough available positions.

I realize some of you have friends and family who received difficult news in the past 24 hours. I also know that some of you finally were accepted after years of improving and strengthening your application.

My thoughts are with those that are struggling hearing the bad news. I take no joy in this part of the process; I hope people realize that we, and other medical schools, try to make the process as fair as possible to everyone. And that, hearing that one is "not accepted" for now is no indication if someone can and will be a great physician one day.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Take care,
Dr. Chan

Reactions: 4 users
Dr. Chan just posted this on the FB group. Sorry to all those who have been rejected. To everyone who is waitlisted, good luck. I hope you make it in. On interview day, they said that you can't apply for scholarships the first year if you are accepted off the waitlist. You should probably fill out your fafsa though.

Good morning everyone,

As you may have heard, we have notified all applicants about if they were not accepted or made the alternate list (all allopathic medical schools have agreed to notify everyone where they stand by tonight).

It was an extremely competitive process this year, perhaps the strongest in years. We have so many highly qualified people applying and not enough available positions.

I realize some of you have friends and family who received difficult news in the past 24 hours. I also know that some of you finally were accepted after years of improving and strengthening your application.

My thoughts are with those that are struggling hearing the bad news. I take no joy in this part of the process; I hope people realize that we, and other medical schools, try to make the process as fair as possible to everyone. And that, hearing that one is "not accepted" for now is no indication if someone can and will be a great physician one day.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Take care,
Dr. Chan
Thanks for that, LadyinSpain! That answers all of my questions.

I don't think anybody has been rejected yet. All waitlists and rejections should be coming out on the 15th. I thought we would see some more acceptances on Friday or today, but it's been silent (at least on SDN anyways).
I got a rejection email yesterday afternoon. Good luck everyone!

Dr. Chan just posted this on the FB group...

(all allopathic medical schools have agreed to notify everyone where they stand by tonight).

Can anyone confirm that this is accurate for all allopathic schools? I received the waitlist e-mail from Utah last night but I am still waiting to hear back about acceptance/rejection/waitlist decisions from 6 different schools either pre or post interview.

So I applied MD/PhD and interviewed in November. I didn't get an email or a phone call... Anyone MD/PhD get a rejection or waitlist?

Can anyone confirm that this is accurate for all allopathic schools? I received the waitlist e-mail from Utah last night but I am still waiting to hear back about acceptance/rejection/waitlist decisions from 6 different schools either pre or post interview.

I have a few schools that still haven't gotten back to me pre-interview, and sometimes you'll never hear back from those schools because it's assumed you understand no interview invite = rejection. But for schools you're waiting for post-interview, March 15th should be the day you hear something back. Per AMCAS:

By March 15 of the matriculation year, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).

Edit: I guess they don't necessarily need to tell you about where you're at, they just need to have accepted at least their class size. That's pretty crappy of a school to wait until after March 15th before they tell you anything post-interview though imo.

Last edited:
Sh

I was a reapplicant this year, so I went through the whole wait list process last year. I was actually offered an interview invite on March 17th for an interview at EVMS. They don't have to tell you your status. They just have to have offered acceptance to at least fill their max number of seats.

Just logged into my application portal. No change since interview day...
I was accepted MD/PhD in January, I know the 6 spots were initially filled but yesterday was our deadline to officially accept, so maybe some people did not officially accept so Utah is waiting to send out waitlist reqs....

So I asked about northern suburbs before, but can anyone speak to what North Salt Lake is like? We're looking to buy and seem to be priced out Of Capitol Hill, and Sugarhouse/Liberty Park is a super long commute for my SO (Ogden).

So I asked about northern suburbs before, but can anyone speak to what North Salt Lake is like? We're looking to buy and seem to be priced out Of Capitol Hill, and Sugarhouse/Liberty Park is a super long commute for my SO (Ogden).
I've only ever driven through it but it seems fine. Maybe a little more industrial than other neighbor hoods? Marmalade district/Rosepark is just below capitol hill, its an up and coming neighborhood. Easy to get on the highway going north and still close to downtown.

If you are buying definitely look in Sugarhouse/SLC proper. You can jump on the freeway super easily from Sugarhouse, it might add 5-10 minutes to your SO's commute depending on where you are. I'd suggest renting if you want to try anywhere else, it would be a bummer to buy a house and hate the area later. Have you looked at the Avenues or the Marmalade district? Both are decently close to the freeway. The Aves would let you take the bus to school easily, and your SO would only have to drive down a pretty quick moving street to get to the freeway. Marmalade is just east of Rose Park. It is definitely colorful. The houses are nice but old, it's close to the freeway and downtown, and you're just minutes away from SLC's hottest gay club. They also just put in a new library which looks really nice.

As an aside, if you are LDS you'd probably love Bountiful. That would be a nice middle ground between your two commutes.

If you are buying definitely look in Sugarhouse/SLC proper. You can jump on the freeway super easily from Sugarhouse, it might add 5-10 minutes to your SO's commute depending on where you are. I'd suggest renting if you want to try anywhere else, it would be a bummer to buy a house and hate the area later. Have you looked at the Avenues or the Marmalade district? Both are decently close to the freeway. The Aves would let you take the bus to school easily, and your SO would only have to drive down a pretty quick moving street to get to the freeway. Marmalade is just east of Rose Park. It is definitely colorful. The houses are nice but old, it's close to the freeway and downtown, and you're just minutes away from SLC's hottest gay club. They also just put in a new library which looks really nice.

As an aside, if you are LDS you'd probably love Bountiful. That would be a nice middle ground between your two commutes.

side note, Avenues houses will probably be the most expensive out of those neighborhoods

side note, Avenues houses will probably be the most expensive out of those neighborhoods

Yeah it definitely would be, but if they were looking in Sugarhouse they could swing something in the lower Aves. Definitely not the mansions at the top, but I think those skew the price range when you do a bulk search. I work in Marmalade and live in the Avenues. Definitely prefer the Avenues to either Rose Park or Marmalade. I grew up in Sugarhouse though and it's absolutely my favorite, but I'm admittedly biased.

Yeah it definitely would be, but if they were looking in Sugarhouse they could swing something in the lower Aves. Definitely not the mansions at the top, but I think those skew the price range when you do a bulk search. I work in Marmalade and live in the Avenues. Definitely prefer the Avenues to either Rose Park or Marmalade. I grew up in Sugarhouse though and it's absolutely my favorite, but I'm admittedly biased.

How do you like Rosepark and Marmalade? What's it like living there?

How do you like Rosepark and Marmalade? What's it like living there?
I don't live in either of those neighborhoods, I'm currently in the Avenues and I grew up in Sugarhouse. Sugarhouse has great access to the mountains, trail networks, great shopping/dining, close to the U, easy freeway access etc. The Aves have less commercial infrastructure, but the trails are still in your backyard and getting to the U is a breeze. The freeway access is pretty good as well, although you have to go through downtown to get there.

I work in the Marmalade district. The homes are a bit older, but they seem pretty nice. Shopping choices are limited, but it's very close to downtown. I don't spend any time in Rose Park so I can't comment on that, but it used to have a shady reputation. Recently it's seen a lot of younger families move in and that reputation is turning around. I wouldn't live in either area personally, but it's only because I love the Aves and Sugarhouse so much.

Honestly, if you could come out and take a look at the areas it might be best. I'd be happy to show you around if you can make it. It's hard to describe in words but pretty easy to see with your own eyes. If you are thinking about buying you should definitely plan a trip to see what the areas are like before pulling the trigger on anything.

Does anyone know if there is a deadline, or set amount of time that accepted students need to answer by?

For current students, are most of the students here LDS? Trying to get a feel for the amount of diversity (religious and otherwise) at Utah Medicine.

For current students, are most of the students here LDS? Trying to get a feel for the amount of diversity (religious and otherwise) at Utah Medicine.

Probably depends on the class, I think ours is probably 20ish percent?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just spoke with a physician who used to be on the admissions committee and he said they accept 160 students up front and then that number dwindles down to 122 from people deciding to go elsewhere. They start pulling from the alternate list once the number of accepted students dips below the 122 mark. Anybody know for sure how accurate that is? Seems like an awful lot of students would have to decline the acceptance in order for very many people on the wait list to gain acceptance.

Just spoke with a physician who used to be on the admissions committee and he said they accept 160 students up front and then that number dwindles down to 122 from people deciding to go elsewhere. They start pulling from the alternate list once the number of accepted students dips below the 122 mark. Anybody know for sure how accurate that is? Seems like an awful lot of students would have to decline the acceptance in order for very many people on the wait list to gain acceptance.

There is no way this could be true. What would they do if all 160 people decide to go to the U? Plus MSAR breaks it down as Acceptances and Matriculants. If they really offered 160 acceptances and then started going off the waitlist, that number would eventually rise above 160. They cannot offer acceptance to more students than they can accommodate in the class.

There is no way this could be true. What would they do if all 160 people decide to go to the U? Plus MSAR breaks it down as Acceptances and Matriculants. If they really offered 160 acceptances and then started going off the waitlist, that number would eventually rise above 160. They cannot offer acceptance to more students than they can accommodate in the class.
Actually, from what I understand it is very common to offer more seats than you have available. I am sure that they are still conservative knowing what the historical percent of students that choose other schools is. I talked with a med student from Stanford University who said his year fewer students took other offers then the school anticipated and they ended up asking a couple students to differ for the year and start in the next class. I think these types of situations are rare, but offering more spots than you have seems normal (unless you are USUHS)