2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview in a couple weeks! Any interview advice? It would be greatly appreciated :)

Something I've seen only at the Utah interview was a writing station during MMI. I would practice timing myself on written responses to various prompts. Other than that I would just say to stay relaxed and be true to yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Something I've seen only at the Utah interview was a writing station during MMI. I would practice timing myself on written responses to various prompts. Other than that I would just say to stay relaxed and be true to yourself!

I second that. Most important is to be relaxed and honest. Faculty interviews are quite laid-back, but definitely be prepared to talk about what you learned from your experiences, and definitely your weaknesses. My impression is they want to know that you have thought a lot about this decision and are committed to this life path. Also, it has been mentioned previously on this board, but Utah is very heavy on ethical questions (MMI and MEPE). It was critical for me to have read through scenarios and understand the issues at play in difficult medical decisions. This UW site seems to be the best: https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Utah why don't you love me +pity+

When I interviewed, I was told they interview all sections proportionally. Basically, for IS Utah ppl, they interview 4 ppl for every seat; same for OOS and Idaho. So everyone at interview day has an equal chance. Which I liked. Also, you can definitely be considered IS for admissions but OOS for tuition. I think that has to do with the main UU campus. I know a few unfortunate people in that situation.

I am an MS2 at Utah if anyone has questions about the curriculum.

I found information on the website about global health opportunities and outreach but am wondering if the U has any student run clinics for early med students to provide care or screening to the homeless or needy population around Salt Lake. I am also interviewing on Monday so any advice would be neat :)

Thank you!

I found information on the website about global health opportunities and outreach but am wondering if the U has any student run clinics for early med students to provide care or screening to the homeless or needy population around Salt Lake. I am also interviewing on Monday so any advice would be neat :)

Thank you!

There are four local clinics that are available for students to work at, including homeless, refugee, and immigrant populations.

Any thoughts here on the WWAMI versus Utah conflict for Idaho residents? My heart says the U for the lifestyle (skiing, not moving around so much, etc.), and I really enjoyed my experience while interviewing there, but it's tough to look past the whole "#1 in US news" thing that UW has going for it. Word on the street is that **** matters when applying to residency. Plus, I plan to practice rural medicine, and WWAMI rural experience is an unparalleled training program. I guess I'm having trouble weighing the lifestyle/happiness factors against the potentially better training/reputation factors, especially when I'm not shooting for a competitive residency so they both get to the same place in the end. I know, first-world problem here, but would be really grateful for any insight on this issue. Thanks!

Any thoughts here on the WWAMI versus Utah conflict for Idaho residents? My heart says the U for the lifestyle (skiing, not moving around so much, etc.), and I really enjoyed my experience while interviewing there, but it's tough to look past the whole "#1 in US news" thing that UW has going for it. Word on the street is that **** matters when applying to residency. Plus, I plan to practice rural medicine, and WWAMI rural experience is an unparalleled training program. I guess I'm having trouble weighing the lifestyle/happiness factors against the potentially better training/reputation factors, especially when I'm not shooting for a competitive residency so they both get to the same place in the end. I know, first-world problem here, but would be really grateful for any insight on this issue. Thanks!
I'm an Idahoan but no longer have my residency there so I didn't count as WWAMI, but if I were to be accepted at U I would heavily weigh scholarships and how close to my family in Idaho I could be. As far as residency goes I'm thinking of radiology which UW is well known for and so I would choose them over the U in that regards. Alas I was rejected though from UW.

I would go where you can receive the best training for your future goals. Medical school, after all, will only be 4 years. You don't want to be miserable for sure, but it doesn't sound like you're choosing between misery and bliss, just a few perks. If I were in that position with acceptances to both, I would definitely go to the school with the best educational opportunities for me (residency placements etc.) Even though your residency isn't competitive overall, there will certainly be competition for the top spots! Go outside of your comfort zone and I'm sure you would find plenty of lifestyle things to love anywhere you go. I think you can be happy wherever you live and going to a school that fits your goals will only add to your long term happiness. That's my opinion anyways.

I would go where you can receive the best training for your future goals. Medical school, after all, will only be 4 years. You don't want to be miserable for sure, but it doesn't sound like you're choosing between misery and bliss, just a few perks. If I were in that position with acceptances to both, I would definitely go to the school with the best educational opportunities for me (residency placements etc.) Even though your residency isn't competitive overall, there will certainly be competition for the top spots! Go outside of your comfort zone and I'm sure you would find plenty of lifestyle things to love anywhere you go. I think you can be happy wherever you live and going to a school that fits your goals will only add to your long term happiness. That's my opinion anyways.

Thanks for the reply and great advice! So I assume you would head to Mayo over the U given this reasoning? (did some snooping on your posts)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply and great advice! So I assume you would head to Mayo over the U given this reasoning? (did some snooping on your posts)
I dont know about gert but I would. I'm waiting to hear from both the U and Mayo. But Mayo is more likely to give a better scholarship among other factors

Last edited:
Speaking
Speaking completely from heresay so for whatever it is worth, but word is that the Idaho students don't have the same access as the instate UW students even to the extent of having off campus classes and rotations which may not provide the benefits of the UW name but would potentially still be a positive with your interest in rural medicine to begin with. Something worth checking into I believe to help with your decision in my book.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! It's not about the school in particular but I thought I would add a little input as someone soon to be applying to residency. It was mentioned previously that where you go to school matters a bit for residency (at least ranking) but to tell you the truth I don't find that to be particularly true except in specific circumstances. It can matter for the following: 1. If there are particular well known people that you could do research with or work with for letters... although most schools have these to some degree. 2. If you really want to go to residency in a high ranked place it may be advantageous to do med school nearby for networking. The pattern I'm sure you're starting to see is networking and research opportunities. Now honestly I find this to be big if you are looking to get into a big name program. If you are looking at a competitive specialty I personally have not found school to matter all that much. Step score, research, letters, 3rd year grades, personality and how you do with interviews all these things are going to be worth quite a bit more than where you went to school. All of the things previously listed can be had here at the U (and virtually anywhere else IMO) and in large part are completely up to you as the applicant. Your quality of clinical training, while there is some variation from school to school, is in large part standardized. FWIW I think the clinical training here is stellar and talking with program directors and physicians our students here are well enough known for their great clinical skills going into residency, I certainly have not heard any complaints of it being subpar. Not saying it's better than xyz program but I wouldn't worry about the level of clinical training, it's there and if you are willing to work harder, you'll get more out of it just like any other part of medical school/training.

Now something I do strongly believe is that when choosing a medical school once a basic ability to offer good competitive training and provide the basics you want out of your medical education has been established the biggest factors are lifestyle and price. It is absolutely key IMO if you have the opportunity to strongly consider where you feel you best fit, where you think you would have the most fun outside of school, and where your significant other (if applicable) would also enjoy living. While how you deal with it largely comes down to attitude, the rigors of medical school are real and if you don't have a good outlet or at least a good experience to leave the school to, or you don't feel you fit in with the culture of the school it really makes things more difficult. You'll have much less opportunity to choose where you go for residency (though there isn't much for most with medical school either! ha) so having 4 years somewhere where you enjoy can really meaningful, whether that is here or elsewhere! Hope that is somewhat helpful/makes sense, feel free to respond here or message me with further questions!

FWIW I'm applying to a competitive specialty myself so I can say that it is certainly possible with the U and I have in no way found it to be a hinderance, (if anything a bonus in many ways).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
FYI, the Facebook page for the incoming class is now live. There are currently 30 members of the group so that gives you an idea of how many have been accepted up to this point. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you!
Absolutely. There are loads of volunteer opportunities for MS1s. TBH, theres way more than you have time or desire to do. The first two years are a lot of work, and when you're not studying, you're not necessarily gonna want to volunteer. At least that was me. I enjoy it, but you don't need to do it nearly as much as you did for pre-med. And really, it's not your focus. Your focus is only doing well and getting ready for boards--volunteering should only happen after you are in a good standing academically. Med school is just so different than premed, in terms of volunteering, shadowing, building your resume etc.

Sorry I just saw this, so I can't help with your interview. Hope it went well.

FYI, the Facebook page for the incoming class is now live. There are currently 30 members of the group so that gives you an idea of how many have been accepted up to this point. Best of luck everyone!!

Ahhh... It's up to 38 members. This is seriously stressing me out. The anxiety has officially kicked in. Dr. Chan call me pleeeeeease.

Ahhh... It's up to 38 members. This is seriously stressing me out. The anxiety has officially kicked in. Dr. Chan call me pleeeeeease.

Some of those members are staff though. Still right around that sweet spot of 25% accepted before March. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Also, as long as we're asking for calls, put me down for one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted this morning. Interviewed late September. FWIW LizzyM is 69 and I am in state, and I didn't think there was anyway I was gonna get in here so this has been quite a surprise. Good luck everyone else. I thought I was gonna be waiting till march for sure.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted this morning. Interviewed late September. FWIW LizzyM is 69 and I am in state, and I didn't think there was anyway I was gonna get in here so this has been quite a surprise. Good luck everyone else. I thought I was gonna be waiting till march for sure.

Well you sure gave me more hope. I interviewed in late September and thought I probably already got passed up.

Last edited:
Congrats! Were you added to the facebook group already?

I think they accept more than half of their class by March. I noticed this last year too. Good deal for those that are accepted but its utterly demoralizing for the rest of us.

Hey Everyone,

I called the admissions office this afternoon and was told their last interview date is February 28th. I was also informed that they have sent out most invitations for that date. She said a few more are being sent today. She told me the rest of us would receive a rejection sometime before March 15th.

Hey Everyone,

I called the admissions office this afternoon and was told their last interview date is February 28th. I was also informed that they have sent out most invitations for that date. She said a few more are being sent today. She told me the rest of us would receive a rejection sometime before March 15th.

This is good info. Thanks for calling them and sharing this. At least I can cross Utah off my silence list now!y

Last edited:
Some of those members are staff though. Still right around that sweet spot of 25% accepted before March. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Also, as long as we're asking for calls, put me down for one as well.

Only two of the members are staff. The total is up to 41 not counting the staff.

Only two of the members are staff. The total is up to 41 not counting the staff.

Is the class size 122? 81 spots left isn't so bad. Gotta keep positive. They really need to drop that 25% accepted by March stat if they consistently don't follow it though, it does no good.

Is the class size 122? 81 spots left isn't so bad. Gotta keep positive. They really need to drop that 25% accepted by March stat if they consistently don't follow it though, it does no good.

Agreed. There's no point in needlessly keeping hope for applicants only to dash them later in the cycle.

Accepted!!!! Just got the call from Dr. Chan. Cried ugly tears the whole time I talked to him. Reapplicant. It's been a looooooong road.

Reactions: 9 users
IS. Accepted this week. Very excited! Interviewed mid-November.

Ahhh I really want that phone call please Dr. Chan!! IS interviewed 12/09, not so patiently waiting...

Class size is 125. Three more than you were anticipating!

And suddenly the Facebook group for Class of 2021 has disappeared. :eek:

And suddenly the Facebook group for Class of 2021 has disappeared. :eek:

They changed it to secret this morning. I suppose to prevent the speculation on here. There are just over 50 students currently.

Y'all are making me neurotic with the count updates >_<

*shrug* Just a guess.
Sorry I realize sarcasm doesn't really work on forums. It was a jab at the whole process rather than at your reasoning which may be 100% accurate, but therein lies the problem haha

Was just rejected from my top choice. Now this is my #1.

Reactions: 1 users
Any apartment suggestions for incoming students?? Places to look for/stay away from?

I've been a big fan of sugar house as well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Any apartment suggestions for incoming students?? Places to look for/stay away from?
I'd recommend north of I-80 and east of State Street. Lots of good places near campus.

Most trendy places are downtown, 9th and 9th, the Avenues, and Sugarhouse.