2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email that said Utah Admissions and got super nervous. When I opened it though it was just a survey. Needless to say I was a little disappointed.

+1. I completed the hell out of that survey though. Nothing says "accept me" like filling out surveys, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview. MD/PhD

Secondary completed end of August. IS

Lizzy Score: 66

As you can tell, my scores are very average, but it proves the point the University of Utah considers other aspects of your application. Wish you all luck, and never lose hope. I know I did for a little bit. Thanks for all the help to everyone that has contributed to this site. I wouldn't have made it this far without your kind thoughts and encouragement.

Reactions: 1 users
Should we expect a handful of acceptances to go out mid Nov?

Have there been any recent out-of-state and out-of-region II's? I was recently marked 'Complete' but no II yet... trying to figure out if there's still any hope.

Last edited:
For OOS applicants with an interview invite, what were your stats? Also does anyone know how SMP programs factor into their minimum GPA requirement for the secondary?

For OOS applicants with an interview invite, what were your stats? Also does anyone know how SMP programs factor into their minimum GPA requirement for the secondary?

Not oos, so I can't give you the stats you want, but I can tell you that the U has a very holistic process. Comparing gpa/mcat stats probably won't help that much. Comparing ECs would probably be a better metric. Also, I do know that any coursework taken after you graduate will be included in gpa. My science gpa with just undergrad is around 3.12. After you add in science classes from my graduate degree, it goes up to 3.23. I've made it through all the thresholds and have received an II.

At my interview, we were told that applicants are categorized into groups (Utah residents, non residents who graduated from a Utah university, Idaho residents, and out of state residents). They then accept 1/4 of the people they interview from each group, so they will interview 60 out of state residents and accept 15. They also said they will only accept about 25% of the class before March 1, so not to worry if you don't hear from them. I'm not sure about SMPs fit in, but I assume those GPAs are accounted for too.

At my interview, we were told that applicants are categorized into groups (Utah residents, non residents who graduated from a Utah university, Idaho residents, and out of state residents). They then accept 1/4 of the people they interview from each group, so they will interview 60 out of state residents and accept 15. They also said they will only accept about 25% of the class before March 1, so not to worry if you don't hear from them. I'm not sure about SMPs fit in, but I assume those GPAs are accounted for too.
Sounds like being IS isn't much of an advantage then...go figure.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!! Phone call from Dr. Chan around 8:00am!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like being IS isn't much of an advantage then...go figure.

No, according to the MSAR they interview the majority of the IS applicants -- there are A LOT more OOS applicants that don't get interviews.

Last edited:
Accepted!!! Phone call from Dr. Chan around 8:00am!!!

Congratulations! When did you interview? Guess it's time to start checking my phone compulsively for missed calls until March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have received the post-interview survey 3 times now. Anyone else? Either they really, really want my opinion about their interview day or it's just a glitch haha

I have received the post-interview survey 3 times now. Anyone else? Either they really, really want my opinion about their interview day or it's just a glitch haha

I got my second one today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know most schools are way behind on getting back after secondaries are submitted. Just wondering if anyone else has hit the 3 month mark with no contact from the U?

I know most schools are way behind on getting back after secondaries are submitted. Just wondering if anyone else has hit the 3 month mark with no contact from the U?

I have friends that submitted in July and haven't heard back. The U isn't necessarily linear with their processes like most schools. :)

I have friends that submitted in July and haven't heard back. The U isn't necessarily linear with their processes like most schools. :)

I figured so, but just thought I would check since I hadn't noticed anyone saying they have been complete for a while. Thanks!

Does anyone know if more IIs have gone out recently for MD only? The last wave of IIs I'm aware of was 4 weeks ago, so I'm just trying to see if maybe more went out but they just weren't posted on SDN. The IIs that went out 4 weeks ago went through December 12th (Well..that's what I was told), so I'm hoping that some other IIs get sent out soon if they haven't been already!

Does anyone know if more IIs have gone out recently for MD only? The last wave of IIs I'm aware of was 4 weeks ago, so I'm just trying to see if maybe more went out but they just weren't posted on SDN. The IIs that went out 4 weeks ago went through December 12th (Well..that's what I was told), so I'm hoping that some other IIs get sent out soon if they haven't been already!

I got an interview around a month ago scheduled for 12/19. I think it's part of the same wave to which you're referring, but the date is beyond the 12th. (OOS, middling stats, good ECs)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just thought I would poke my head in here. I am currently an MS I at the UUSOM, so if you have any questions about the application cycle, or the process then please let me know. I can also answer any burning questions you might have about our curriculum, the MD/PhD program, school performance, etc. Feel free to reply to this, or PM me to ask your questions, and best of luck with your applications!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, just thought I would poke my head in here. I am currently an MS I at the UUSOM, so if you have any questions about the application cycle, or the process then please let me know. I can also answer any burning questions you might have about our curriculum, the MD/PhD program, school performance, etc. Feel free to reply to this, or PM me to ask your questions, and best of luck with your applications!

Is grading pass/fail or are there rankings? Thanks!

II recieved Wedneday Idaho Resident date mid January

Is the curriculum system based or more traditional?

Is grading pass/fail or are there rankings? Thanks!
So the answer to your question is yes. Haha. So officially on the transcript that is sent out when you apply for residencies everything is pass/fail. However, you are ranked internally for Scholarships, AOA (honor society), and there is a statement on your MSPE (residency application) that says which quartile you were in (top 25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, or bottom 25%), though I have heard most residencies don't look at that, they just care about your step scores and research mostly.

Is the curriculum system based or more traditional?
Great question, so the curriculum is very much systems based. The first semester (called Phase I) is just a review of everything you should know up to this point (anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry, genetics, embryology, ethics, law, Evidence based medicine, etc.) and then 2nd semester of first year up until completion of your 2nd year (phase II) is even more systems based. For instance Phase I did things like Cardiovascular, Brain/CNS, Pulmonary, Urinary, etc. and then Phase II goes over greater detail of these systems, and then goes into the pathologies of each system. It is kind of genius because by the time you have to take your Step 1 exam at the end of 2nd year you have gone over every topic between 3-5 times, so you are very comfortable with it. To be 100% honest I actually love how the curriculum is laid out as it makes a ton of sense, and builds on itself super well. Also, it is really nice to not be studying things I don't care about, like we all had to in undergrad.

if I am not a Utah or Idaho resident, do I basically have no shot at attending this school?

if I am not a Utah or Idaho resident, do I basically have no shot at attending this school?
They do have heavy in state bias and have a contract to take 15 Idaho residents (I think?). But I was told on my interview day that if you are an OOS interviewee you have as good of a chance of being accepted as any in state or Idaho interviewee!

As far as getting an II as an OOS applicant, I don't really know... I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but hey, this process is unpredictable so who knows. Utah I particularly unpredictable in my opinion, they look for specific applicants.

II just now :) OOS but grew up in Utah and graduated from U of U

Reactions: 2 users
As far as getting an II as an OOS applicant, I don't really know... I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but hey, this process is unpredictable so who knows. Utah I particularly unpredictable in my opinion, they look for specific applicants.

Comparably they offer way more II to in-state than out, so while the interviewee's have a similar chance of matriculation it is much easier to get an II being in-state. The data for this is in MSAR.

Just so everyone knows the numbers: Typically 81% of the class is filled with in-state seats. So, 19% goes to you OOS applicants. However, if you graduated from a college in the state of Utah then you actually count as IS, not OOS. You will pay OOS tuition if you aren't a Utah resident, but you will be competing for a seat in the 81%, not the 19%. Super weird, but that is as of last year. I have lots of classmates at the UUSOM who are OOS, so no need to worry.

Just so everyone knows the numbers: Typically 81% of the class is filled with in-state seats. So, 19% goes to you OOS applicants. However, if you graduated from a college in the state of Utah then you actually count as IS, not OOS. You will pay OOS tuition if you aren't a Utah resident, but you will be competing for a seat in the 81%, not the 19%. Super weird, but that is as of last year. I have lots of classmates at the UUSOM who are OOS, so no need to worry.

I REALLY want you to be right, but it looks like it changed since last year. http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/residency-non-residency.php

Have you seen anything about this? Thanks for your feedback and responses on this board!

Last edited:
I REALLY want you to be right (I'm applying OOS but did HS and College in Utah), but it looks like it changed since last year. http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/residency-non-residency.php

Have you seen anything about this? Thanks for your feedback and responses on this board!

Yeah, so that does look like it is listed differently than it was for my class. However, it does say AT LEAST as the qualifier for each of those categories. I just know they got it approved with the legislature so they can count OOS applicants who graduated from an in-state school as IS, so they can "increase the quality of students accepted". So, they may list it however they choose, but I think the idea is still the same. You stand a really good chance of getting in at the U if you are from the state, and also if you graduated from a school in Utah. The number of applicants who are in state far outweighs those that are out of state, so I bet you still have the same odds.

They do have heavy in state bias and have a contract to take 15 Idaho residents (I think?). But I was told on my interview day that if you are an OOS interviewee you have as good of a chance of being accepted as any in state or Idaho interviewee!

There are 10 seats contracted for Idaho students, an increase of two from years past when it was 8 seats.