2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent it to the admissions office [email protected] and received confirmation it was added to my file.
was your update about activities/ECs or something more significant like a publication? trying to figure out if i should send an update or not!

Members don't see this ad.

was your update about activities/ECs or something more significant like a publication? trying to figure out if i should send an update or not!
More for activities/ECs and some achievements. At this point I doubt you have much to lose than try!

Reactions: 1 user
More for activities/ECs and some achievements. At this point I doubt you have much to lose than try!
thats a very good point haha best of luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you (accepted) students took a course in statistics? I know uva doesn't require courses but they recommend statistics. Would it look bad to not take a course in statistics?

I'd love to take the course but it would conflict with my schedule.

I took stats but I highly doubt that when they vote in your application they'll be like "didn't take stats but otherwise a good applicant.. nah"

Reactions: 1 users
Me too buddy. Me too..
it hurts, but the email said 20 out of 200 people on the waitlist usually get an acceptance...
so you're telling me there's a chance.jpg

Accepted Yesterday!!!! Soooo pumped and honestly wasn't expecting it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! Definitely did not see this one coming. so so so excited! complete late July, OOS LizzyM ~75

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted this morning! Couldn't be more excited!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone know when they start plucking from WL?

Are the one on one interviews open or closed file?

When would be a good time to send an update letter, updated transcript, etc.? Dying to get in here.

they never mentioned any specific times they start pulling from the waitlist so I'd think you could send something at any time and they'd add it to your file.
Okay! Thanks man!!

Super curious, where are you other accepted students from? Would love to get an idea what the class hometown breakdown is going to look like!

I love that profile pic. I've started knocking on wood and walls now that I've seen the man himself do it. Subconscious or not I feel like a badass lol.

Interview invite this morning. Completely forgot I applied here.

Complete end of August I think. 4 dates in mid Feb

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Does UVA silent reject? I have been complete since early July, am a med school legacy and have heard absolutely nothing since July. I really love this school and wondering why II invites seem to be so independent of when we submitted!

Does UVA silent reject? I have been complete since early July, am a med school legacy and have heard absolutely nothing since July. I really love this school and wondering why II invites seem to be so independent of when we submitted!
No idea, I'm a legacy as well and was complete early September and have heard absolutely nothing

Been lurking this thread for awhile now but finally had to get an account to post. Can any current students comment on finding housing for first year? When did you start looking, best way to find roommates, when did you sign your lease, etc.? Thanks much!

Been lurking this thread for awhile now but finally had to get an account to post. Can any current students comment on finding housing for first year? When did you start looking, best way to find roommates, when did you sign your lease, etc.? Thanks much!
+1, I'm potentially going to be out of reach pretty much until matriculation and so I'm a little concerned about this and hoping the process isn't too difficult.

+1, I'm potentially going to be out of reach pretty much until matriculation and so I'm a little concerned about this and hoping the process isn't too difficult.
I went here for undergrad so I can maybe help with some logistic questions y'all may have! PM me with anything you may want to know!

My first acceptance!!

CA resident. UVA Medical Center ties. LizzyM 70.

So happy I could cry..

Reactions: 12 users
There should be a class Facebook group later on and it will be easy to find roommates there. There's plenty of housing in Charlottesville although many places run on the "cycle" based on the undergraduate schedule of signing leases in November/December (with a lease starting the following summer). Where you live mostly depends on how much you want to pay (closer to Grounds/Hospital is $$$). Would also recommend the UVA housing/sublet Facebook group as well.

Hello! Does anyone know if they allow you to submit application updates? I have fall 2016 grades that I would like to submit. I have an interview in February.

Hello! Does anyone know if they allow you to submit application updates? I have fall 2016 grades that I would like to submit. I have an interview in February.
Just email or call and ask how they want fall semester grades to be submitted (official vs unofficial transcript).

Does anyone have any information on when financial aid may be coming out?

"Entering students who have all of their documents submitted by April 1st will receive a preliminary award letter via email before April 30th."

https://med.virginia.edu/financial-aid/application-process/

Also, merit scholarships:

"All merit scholarships at the UVA School of Medicine are awarded by the Office of Admissions. There is no application for these scholarships. Recipients will be notified by the Office of Admissions, typically in late March or early April."

Usually mid-April, ahead of the matriculation deadline. Just get your documents in on time and then wait (seemingly) forever.