2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I may be biased but I'd suggest not attending the interview since you are unsure, that way UVA can have more interviews to send to people like me that haven't received an II from them yet ;):happy:
That's kind of what I was thinking. I will wait on it for a little while.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS accepted here yesterday morning as well! I am so excited, but cannot get over the high tuition and distance from home (CA). It's hard for me to tell how much these things should weigh into a decision. Any opinions?

1) wait for financial packages to come out in the spring. half of the students are from out of state.
2) ask admissions if you can be put in contact with a student from california or another west coast state if you really want to talk to someone.

1) wait for financial packages to come out in the spring. half of the students are from out of state.
2) ask admissions if you can be put in contact with a student from california or another west coast state if you really want to talk to someone.

Do you know if they offer anything based on merit or is it need only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if they offer anything based on merit or is it need only?
both. the financial aid website pretty much has everything about financial aid and other assistance options. the financial aid staff are also very nice and helpful.

Just got an II. Not sure if I will take it though because I have already been offered an acceptance elsewhere and I don't really know too much about Virginia to be honest. Those who have interviewed what was your opinion of this school in relation to other schools you interviewed at? I wouldn't want to take an interview that somebody else might appreciate more than I would.
While it's tempting to tell you not to because I'd kill for an II here, I really think you owe it to yourself to check out one of (in my opinion) the best medical schools out there. They're going to give out IIs to those they think are the best fit and if that includes you over one of us then that's awesome and you deserve to go! You just might fall in love with the school

Just got an II. Not sure if I will take it though because I have already been offered an acceptance elsewhere and I don't really know too much about Virginia to be honest. Those who have interviewed what was your opinion of this school in relation to other schools you interviewed at? I wouldn't want to take an interview that somebody else might appreciate more than I would.
I'd have to agree. I've been to Columbia, NYU, Vanderbilt, and GW and none of them really blew me out of the water/some of them I just didn't like. I had a big prejudice against UVA coming in because my family is a die-hard Va Tech family and I always got a snobby vibe from UVA undergrad, but the med school was absolutely incredible. I loved every part of the visit, from the people, to the hosiptal, the curriculum and buildings, everything. The night before my interview I told my girlfriend I didn't want to go because there was basically no chance I would go to UVA and now it's one of my absolutely top choices.

I'd have to agree. I've been to Columbia, NYU, Vanderbilt, and GW and none of them really blew me out of the water/some of them I just didn't like. I had a big prejudice against UVA coming in because my family is a die-hard Va Tech family and I always got a snobby vibe from UVA undergrad, but the med school was absolutely incredible. I loved every part of the visit, from the people, to the hosiptal, the curriculum and buildings, everything. The night before my interview I told my girlfriend I didn't want to go because there was basically no chance I would go to UVA and now it's one of my absolutely top choices.

UVA getting some good rep on SDN :) I'm excited for my upcoming interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i'd like to emphasize that the undergrads are totally separate from grad students, especially vibe-wise :)

I'll probably be turning down my II so hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! LM 78, complete early Aug. interview 10/18

Am I right in assuming the number of pages on the school threads correlates with the interview/acceptance activity of the school? :D

So, UVa has only 5 pages = not many IIs sent out yet?

SO THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR ME YET???? :xf::xf::xf:

Does UVA notify you if you have been rejected for an interview invitation?

Does UVA notify you if you have been rejected for an interview invitation?

Unfortunately in previous years applicants that did not get interviews have had to wait until the end of interview season for their rejections.

Really sucks when UVA is your top choice/dream school and you're applying with a slight, borderline chance stat/app wise (to be competitive for UVA). You end up hanging onto false hopes of ''what if'' for months, only for them to be crushed devastatingly at the end

Last edited:
Am I right in assuming the number of pages on the school threads correlates with the interview/acceptance activity of the school? :D

So, UVa has only 5 pages = not many IIs sent out yet?

SO THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR ME YET???? :xf::xf::xf:

The UVA thread is notoriously small. We don't interview a lot of people. We are interviewing through the 16th of March this year I believe, but that's always subject to change.

Well I officially withdrew my app, hope my II went to one of you guys :)

Does anyone have experience traveling from Florida to Charlottesville? I'm considering flying into Richmond and renting a car to drive to UVA for the interview, but I'm not sure if anyone has done this and recommends otherwise. A PM would be appreciated!

Anyone else submit early and not hear anything? I guess, as previously mentioned, they will just drag me along till the end and then send a rejection! Cruel! haha.

Anyone else submit early and not hear anything? I guess, as previously mentioned, they will just drag me along till the end and then send a rejection! Cruel! haha.
+1 -- complete 7/15

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! I loved this place so much, the student body was maybe the most chill, happy and laid back but fun of any school's I've seen, the campus was just gorgeous and the weather is perfect. So so so so happy :love:

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! I loved this place so much, the student body was maybe the most chill, happy and laid back but fun of any school's I've seen, the campus was just gorgeous and the weather is perfect. So so so so happy :love:
+1! I 100% agree. The students were fantastic, the admissions staff was incredibly helpful, and everyone obviously wanted to make the interviewees feel welcome. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

+1 sooo excited!

II just now! :soexcited:....stats (for those of you tracking ;)) complete date 7/15, LizzyM 77-79, OOS, fairly traditional, heavy research. Haven't even logged on yet to check available dates -- I'll let you all know shortly!

Edit -- they have openings next week (too soon for me), the first and second weeks in December

Last edited:
Congrats to all who've had good news so far! Do you guys think I don't have any hope since I submitted my secondary so late (10/20)? For reference, I'm OOS, undergrad in VA (top school), 3.98 GPA, and 513 MCAT. I really love this school but due to unforseen circumstances, I submitted late! Thanks all and best of luck to all who applied!

I think the only one who doesn't have a chance is the person who doesn't apply. I've seen high stats, early applicants rejected and low stats, late applicants with multiple acceptances. The process is definitely shrouded in mystery. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

II 2 weeks ago. Complete early July.

Accepted!!!! Omg I'm crying. This school is absolutely incredible. Good luck to everyone. I'm sending good vibes your way.

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED today, OOS!!! Blown away by UVa and couldn't be more excited!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know if UVA has any requirements for laptops or if they let us use whatever we want?