2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected post TRUST II. Interviewed 2/7

Members don't see this ad.

For the anxious post-interview TRUST applicant who finds themselves checking this thread in February of 2018 trying to figure out when they're likely to hear back (and then checking the prior year's thread, and then the year prior to that...), let me try to help you out.

Here's 2016 (~7-9 days wait based on n=1), and here's 2015 (~3 days wait based on n=1). It would appear that application review and acceptance doesn't take place in entirely the same day, so simply because someone has posted about being rejected/accepted does not mean you will necessarily find out that same day. (Having this information might have helped me relax a bit more on Monday night of this week after the first acceptance post appeared on SDN, so I hope it can help you, future-TRUST-applicant, relax a bit.)

If I had to guess, the TRUST process probably mirrors the regular admissions process: people with three solid "YES" votes from their panel, provided there are fewer than 10 such candidates, are outright accepted after the EXCOM meeting that takes place at the end of the week (so they could be contacted on a Friday, as was the case in 2015, or a Monday as was the case this year). Then the remaining pool of competitive candidates is whittled down unless the remainder equals the number of slots left (plus probably some "waiting list" ranking is generated). If my hypothesis is correct, this means some people will be called for acceptance on Monday, while others will be in limbo until Tuesday or beyond, while others are rejected on Monday or Tuesday etc. This year there were 45 interviewed candidates and 9 slots (normally this number is 10). Everything I am saying is conjecture specific to WA. The basic takeaway can be summarized as "chill out, it will happen when it happens, and you shouldn't obsess over SDN and what is happening with other folks and what that might mean for you, today may or may not be the day you find out and if you don't find out today that doesn't mean anything either way" ... this is a mindset I have employed for my other interviews, but my passion for rural medicine and the rapidity of the TRUST decision definitely led to some anxiety for me. If someone knows more about the internals of the process, please feel free to correct me, but I have found the process fairly opaque and figured sharing what bit I know or have been able to intuit might lessen others' stress in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Above what I've seen in many accepted applicants, and by the stats, at least, above their average posted online...I have no problem with diversity, but it should be the things you've chosen to do that make you diverse, if it's going to be a criterion for application decisons...so I'm guessing the white male from an upper-middle class background that wants to specialize in ophtho or neuro (they asked in the interview) just didn't feel to them like a fit...So some people with outstanding experiences won't get in while others will, sometimes stats be damned, and as an institution it can be capricious as to what types of diversity they seem to care about.

And you have self-explained the very reason they rejected you, but through the way of denial.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
And you have self-explained the very reason they rejected you, but through the way of denial.

Don't see how it's by way of denial to admit that I don't fit the school and vice versa since they're pretty primary care focused and I'm not, and I don't necessarily have the other sorts of diversity they may prioritize, but okie dokie.

So sounds like people think Seattle people might hear back tomorrow and Monday?

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry can someone explain the difference in admissions decisions when it comes to TRUST vs. regular admissions? Do TRUST decisions come out faster and why? How long do regular admissions decisions typically take?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bracing myself for that Continued Consideration email today...

Reactions: 1 user
I got the phone call today!!! Accepted to TRUST and UWSOM, I'm so freaking excited!
I was also accepted to TRUST. Congrats, and I hope to see you the fall! I selected Spokane as my preferred location, what about you?

Have all the accepted Montanans already heard? Getting nervous hoping for a call here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm in the same boat for Montana WWAMI.... Have you heard anything more? I was definitely expecting to hear by now.

I'm in the same boat for Montana WWAMI.... Have you heard anything more? I was definitely expecting to hear by now.
Makes three of us. I have almost peed my pants every time my phones buzzed since last Friday... Fingers crossed for us!

I think that we are the unlucky ones. I have heard that plenty of my acquaintances have been accepted. They seemed to get the call over the weekend or on Friday.

ImageUploadedBySDN1487723946.864325.jpg

I think that we are the unlucky ones. I have heard that plenty of my acquaintances have been accepted. They seemed to get the call over the weekend or on Friday.

They did say that different interviewers would get back at different times? (Holding on to the sliver of hope...)

I feel even worse getting waitlisted here. "Listen you're great, and maybe, someday, we could end up together."
ImageUploadedBySDN1487732866.783898.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I was also accepted to TRUST. Congrats, and I hope to see you the fall! I selected Spokane as my preferred location, what about you?
Woo!! Congrats! I set my preference to Seattle but I am open to both locations if they need students elsewhere.

Last edited:
In the past two days I've gotten phone calls from Washington. And every time I freak out thinking it's admissions but it always turns out to be some fake vacation offer or credit card thing :claps:Get's my heart rate going.

Also, I recently emailed the office and they said we can expect to hear a decision 4-6 weeks after our interview for anyone who is still in wait like me.

Sooo, maybe the next Seattle excom meeting isn't until March? The final one?

Based on last year's thread, there was silence between Seattle SUC emails going out Friday 1/29 and final Seattle acceptance calls going out Thurs 3/3 and Fri 3/4 (one acceptance call mentioned Mon 3/7).

Hang in there friends!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Ah, there will be decisions on all the SUCs next week??

Or is it late March that there are decisions for all SUCs?

Ah, there will be decisions on all the SUCs next week??

Or is it late March that there are decisions for all SUCs?

Based on last year's thread alone, the last mention of anyone receiving an SUC email was 1/29. First mention of a waitlist placement was Mon 3/7, which they'd only send out after the final EXCOM meeting.

Does not mean this is how it will go down this year.

Last edited:
Based on last year's thread alone, the last mention of anyone receiving an SUC email was 1/29. First mention of a waitlist placement was Mon 3/7, which they'd only send out after the final EXCOM meeting.

Does not mean this is how it will go down this year.
True, the year before I was notified of being on the waitlist on 3/12.

Yep, SUC. Curious to hear if any rejections/acceptances went out now as well.

SUC day.. I'm actually okay with a suc considering I did terrible on my second interview

Just got the continued consideration email. I don't know what the acronym SUC is but I'm assuming it means that something as getting the continued consideration email. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

I received a rejection haha. UW has been my dream school for years now so it definitely stings.

I hope the best of luck for the rest of you! This process is not easy by any means and you all should be proud of yourselves. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Any thoughts on what's next? No acceptances yet... How are y'all holding up?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
206 number calling.... OMG this is my big moment...
Me: "hello?"
Caller: "This is Amazon, let me into your building."
Me (thinking): "ahhh, dam you Amazon, why are you calling me, I don't ever get calls form unknown 206 numbers"
Me: "call my wife, I'm at work."

Reactions: 5 users