2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a lighter note, I just want to thank everyone on this thread for creating this outlet and listening to me fret over med school admissions. It makes everything seem more human, and I really feel we are all in this together in a way. Goodnight....tomorrow may be another excom meeting day~

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh I wasn't bothered at all. It was legitimate advice just because I could see many many people getting rather worked up over it. Sorry if it came off that way

No worries! :) I do completely understand - it's a complex issue that's highly emotional to some. I wasn't sure if you were upset or just giving advice; either way, I tend to think civil discussion is always best when possible. I think it's important to discuss the important things, especially with those with whom you differ. :)

Reactions: 1 user
So your example is exactly opposite the way UW does it. Each member of your interview (three) writes a report separately before talking to the other two. Then they write a group report. The one member that goes to excom, presents all this info together, so a picture of you from technically 4 perspectives is given. If two interviewers disagree strongly, then you are reinvented to interview again. This eliminates any of the issues you brought up.

Secondly, you're putting wayyyy too much into this "zeal for diversity". They aren't choosing diverse people over more qualified people, they are choosing people that fit with their mission, and that they think will add to the class as a whole, and be successful. And of course you can't determine who would get in in advance, thats the whole point of the interview. There isn't X and Y quality they are looking for, this isn't some checklist to be completed. The whole point is even with its huge limit on how much they can figure out about you in a short interview, is to get a "feel" for you.

To be honest, your coming off a sounding privileged, like UW owed you something because you have high stats and did this checklist of things you think you should have done. And personally, I think you're absolutely wrong. You decisions aren't everything, and thats the point. You want people that bring different viewpoints - and it's often those things that I mentioned that provide those. Can you honestly say you know what it's like to grow up as a person of color? What about living in poverty, or being super privileged and rich. These things inherinently add to a class, and allow people to be exposed to things different than they otherwise would. Yes your decisions matter as well, but by your logic you would end up with a class full of people that had the financial means to not work and to only expand their activities to look at good as possible. People like me - non-trad, 30, and have a family, would be a huge disadvantage because working 50 hours a week and taking 2 classes, I didn't have the same time you did you work at the food bank or homeless shelter.

I know it sounds like that. I don't at all think that UW owed me anything, and as I've mentioned before, it wasn't the best fit for me, and thus the reverse was also almost definitely true, as I tried to mention before. But people posted replies specifically mentioning that aspect of my comment, so I expanded.

If you are correct as to the admissions process (I will assume you are), then it is a bit more communal than I thought. I believed it was a bit of discussion afterward between the three, and then unless there was a huge disagreement, mostly up to the decision of the one committee member. You do appear to be correct as to UW. I was also referring to the general trend toward holistic review and diversity across universities, however, and you'll note that I never once said anything amounting to "I should have gotten in, but they must have given it to some minority or something." I said it may well have been because they somehow sensed it wouldn't be a great fit - I just don't know how they would have perceived that from the interview. I'd still bet it's most likely the case, though.

As to putting way too much into the diversity thing, again, it was originally one point amidst a few, but got dragged out in discussion because it's more controversial. And I never suggested there's a checklist in their minds, but that some experiences will appeal to certain interviewers much more than others, an issue in the subjectivity of all interviews, traditionally checked by stats, experiences, letters of rec, etc. I am just concerned if this is always the case in the later stages of these supposed holistic reviews. Again, not really a school-specific concern. Nor one I've spent nights thinking about,or ever particularly felt wronged by. It was just a thought, as I do prefer objectivity where possible.

I never said my opinions were God's truth. I respect yours, and am glad you brought the opposing view forth. And yes, I am privileged in my background. No, I don't know what it's like to be a person of color, or to have grown up in poverty. And where did I suggest that we shouldn't respect hard work and dedication? You had family obligations and chose to go to school while working 50 hours a week. Where did I downplay that? I did have the opportunity to go to school full time, research, volunteer, and so forth, also while working (though less hours, of course). In other words, I made sacrifices to make myself a good applicant and a better person. You had less choice in the matter, but in the same way as I could have just gone to class and called it good, you could have just gone to work and called it good. You didn't. You sacrificed, because you wanted to go to medical school. Both are valid, is my point, and yours, too, I believe. I think my "choices" comment is getting misshapen with use, to be honest, but at this point, I feel like we're beating a dead horse...

I do apologize if I offended or came off as seeing myself as superior. The original post was really meant to be more about my perception that there may be less objectivity in the process. I stated it poorly, however, and drugged out diversity for far too long.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a lighter note, I just want to thank everyone on this thread for creating this outlet and listening to me fret over med school admissions. It makes everything seem more human, and I really feel we are all in this together in a way. Goodnight....tomorrow may be another excom meeting day~

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Good luck! I think we're all in the same boat, on the constant waiting and fretting. It's getting down to the wire now...

You know this hits home. I had a white coworker whose father is the dean of admission at a top 5 med school tell my friend (who is Latino), he wished he was an underrepresented minority so he could have a better chance of being admitted to his dream school right in front of me. But he wouldn't want to be a Latino any other day in his life. My friend worked full-time at a fast food joint, cleaned houses, mowed lawns, and worked as a mechanic throughout high school and college. Amazingly he graduated on top of his class with honors. Did I mention his parents each took 3 jobs and still couldn't make ends meet? He's felt like a helpless cockroach his whole life, and this this kid comes up to him and tells him he'd wish he was Latino too... I've had my own share, but I just felt so ashamed about what was said knowing what my friend has faced and overcome in his life. My friend applied to 25 schools, got 24 interviews, and he deserves every single one of his still-pouring-in acceptances regardless of being Latino, White, or anything else. My point is that inclusion of diversity isn't just about skin color, language, or culture, but it is exactly about the experiences you've had in life. All of those go hand-in-hand and being a minority can sometime force you to have life experiences that you otherwise wouldn't want to have, and yet take pride in having.

Reactions: 7 users
You know this hits home. I had a white coworker whose father is the dean of admission at a top 5 med school tell my friend (who is Latino), he wished he was an underrepresented minority so he could have a better chance of being admitted to his dream school right in front of me. But he wouldn't want to be a Latino any other day in his life. My friend worked full-time at a fast food joint, cleaned houses, mowed lawns, and worked as a mechanic throughout high school and college. Amazingly he graduated on top of his class with honors. Did I mention his parents each took 3 jobs and still couldn't make ends meet? He's felt like a helpless cockroach his whole life, and this this kid comes up to him and tells him he'd wish he was Latino too... I've had my own share, but I just felt so ashamed about what was said knowing what my friend has faced and overcome in his life. My friend applied to 25 schools, got 24 interviews, and he deserves every single one of his still-pouring-in acceptances regardless of being Latino, White, or anything else. My point is that inclusion of diversity isn't just about skin color, language, or culture, but it is exactly about the experiences you've had in life. All of those go hand-in-hand and being a minority can sometime force you to have life experiences that you otherwise wouldn't want to have, and yet take pride in having.

God, that's horrid. What a little ****, to say that to someone.

And I agree completely; it's about experiences. My fiancée is from Mexico, and her parents have always held multiple jobs. She essentially raised her sisters, and wasn't able to go to college, because her parents didn't understand what FAFSA was and wouldn't give out their personal information.

But she gets very upset when people assume things just because she's Mexican. She could just has easily have been from a rich family and had a fairly easy inroad into American medicine if she wanted. It's a delicate balance between actually creating equal opportunity as intended and assuming that because someone is *blank* they need such and such help from us priveleged white folk, which is racist/elitist and yet something I've seen my most politically-correct friends and colleagues guilty of.

In the end, my fiancée's experiences made her extremely responsible and mature, and given the time to take the courses she still needs to finish, I know she'll be an outstanding applicant, in part due to those very experiences she would have otherwise avoided.

Might be time to start a discussion thread on the merits of holistic review and diversities role on making a good physician. Personally, I think there are a lot of merits to it, as I am tired of going to physicians that don't really seem to care about interacting with me. I think this is an attempt by med schools to recruit people who still have the scholastic ability to excel as physicians, but also have the ability to provide compassion/empathy to their patients. This could be the person with high stats, or the person with acceptable stats, which is also the reason the AAMC changed the MCAT to theoretically predict that anyone above a 500 could successfully complete medical school and pass boards.

....tomorrow may be another excom meeting day~

To focus this back on our neurotic obsessions of getting the slightest bit of information on a possible acceptance...was this just wishful thinking, or do you have a lead on some solid intel?

I think the problem here is that schools feel the NEED to accept a certain amount of minorities, or else people criticize them. I totally understand that people of different ethnic backgrounds can be intelligent, hard working, and completely deserving of being accepted on merits alone. Yet if a school was met with the situation where it just happened that all of the most qualified applicants were white, I would bet a lot of money that they wouldn't accept a class of 100% white applicants. However, I doubt a situation such as this could ever occur, because we do have so many qualified applicants who are minorities.

I think the problem here is that schools feel the NEED to accept a certain amount of minorities, or else people criticize them. I totally understand that people of different ethnic backgrounds can be intelligent, hard working, and completely deserving of being accepted on merits alone. Yet if a school was met with the situation where it just happened that all of the most qualified applicants were white, I would bet a lot of money that they wouldn't accept a class of 100% white applicants. However, I doubt a situation such as this could ever occur, because we do have so many qualified applicants who are minorities.

I think it's completely acceptable for schools to accept minorities not only based on merits. Living as a minority or an immigrant in United States, or anywhere for that matter, is overcoming a big hurdle, and therefore a huge accomplishment in itself. Even if their stats or experiences may not be as qualified as other white applicants, I think their applications should be seen differently than their ORM peers.

I understand why schools are trying to accept more minorities. We need more of those people in medicine who can empathize with patients, many of whom are minorities due to various social determinants that affect their health. Now I'm Asian, and completely over-represented in medicine, but I don't see this kind of policy to be disadvantaging me. If anything, I'm glad medicine is evolving this way and admission committees are acknowledging the need for minorities in the health care field.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is just one of many out there. I can only hope that more people would view the issue similarly. :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NEED to accept a certain amount of minorities, or else people criticize them

I don't think it is the fear of criticism that drives schools to admit minorities, but the understanding that disproportionality exists in our society, and that sometimes people of minorities would like the ability to see a physician that looks like them, and can maybe relate to their own personal experience. If you have the stats to succeed in medical school, then you should be on an equal playing field as everyone else (which is the point of holistic reviews). This is especially true of medical schools that are looking at training primary care physicians, as opposed to institutions who's main focus is research oriented. Medical schools don't accept people, regardless of background, that can't complete medical school and pass boards, which is why graduation rates at medical schools are very high (96.6% 8-year graduation rate-AAMC) compared to graduate (PhD) schools (56.6% 10-year graduation rate-CGS).

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's completely acceptable for schools to accept minorities not only based on merits. Living as a minority or an immigrant in United States, or anywhere for that matter, is overcoming a big hurdle, and therefore a huge accomplishment in itself. Even if their stats or experiences may not be as qualified as other white applicants, I think their applications should be seen differently than their ORM peers.

I understand why schools are trying to accept more minorities. We need more of those people in medicine who can empathize with patients, many of whom are minorities due to various social determinants that affect their health. Now I'm Asian, and completely over-represented in medicine, but I don't see this kind of policy to be disadvantaging me. If anything, I'm glad medicine is evolving this way and admission committees are acknowledging the need for minorities in the health care field.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is just one of many out there. I can only hope that more people would view the issue similarly. :/

I think what you are saying makes sense, but for me, personally, I would rather have an the most intelligent doctor I can have rather than one who has overcome a lot of life's struggles. For example, I decided to pursue medicine after my interaction with the nurse who did my rape kit after being sexually assaulted. I think medical schools see that as overcoming something, and I may be more empathetic to patients, but that doesn't make me a more competent doctor. But some people would probably rather have a doctor who cares more, over someone who is more intelligent, so I guess it is just a difference of preferences.

If you have the stats to succeed in medical school said:
I totally agree with that statement. And I believe that there are equal percentages of qualified URMs as ORM. However, there are many applicants who would succeed in med school and don't get accepted. If two kids are equal, I just don't think that the default should be to select the URM. I understand there has to be a tie breaker, but that's just not the one I would use. And maybe it's not what they use, they do look at so many aspects in a holistic review, and I'm not in the committee member's heads to see why they made their choices.

I don't know why my post ^^ came out looking so weird..

Members don't see this ad :)
Any acceptances/rejections/SUC news this week?

I think what you are saying makes sense, but for me, personally, I would rather have an the most intelligent doctor I can have rather than one who has overcome a lot of life's struggles. For example, I decided to pursue medicine after my interaction with the nurse who did my rape kit after being sexually assaulted. I think medical schools see that as overcoming something, and I may be more empathetic to patients, but that doesn't make me a more competent doctor. But some people would probably rather have a doctor who cares more, over someone who is more intelligent, so I guess it is just a difference of preferences.

Yeah I see where you're coming from too haha. And tbh, at least the way I see it, the fact that you've gone through such a thing does make you a competent doctor. I don't think competency isn't just about the grades or the scores, but also the life experiences you overcame that shaped you, helped you mature, and enabled you to empathize with those in similar situations. You as a doctor will be able to connect with patients going through similar things in a deeper level than I can. And of course, every doctor should try to empathize, but in some situations it's easier if you had many life experiences that expanded your view of the world.

If I was an immigrant who couldn't fluently speak English, I don't think I'd care if a doctor had 525 MCAT with 3.9 GPA. If she had good enough stats to go to medical school and pass the boards (505 MCAT 3.4 GPA), and on top of that, is from my culture, I'd want to see her instead.

For me personally, URM would be the tie breaker I'd use.

But as an ORM myself, I do understand where you're coming from. My stats suck, and sometimes I think if I was a URM, I might have better luck. But even then, my stats still suck And moreover, the deficit to that thinking, as someone already pointed out, is that then am I ready to also take on the hardships that they go through in their lives?

I would rather have an the most intelligent doctor I can have rather than one who has overcome a lot of life's struggles.
ancient_aliens_both_by_theporkchopexpress-da316kc.jpg

That's... terrifying
As a o-chem prof once elucidated for me, PhD programs are tough to get into, but nowhere near as hard as medical school. PhD programs really make you prove yourself once you are in, prove your research for your dissertation, and will even attempt to trip you up just to see how you handle it. Whereas, MD/DO programs really make you prove yourself before they admit you, and once you are in, they work hard to make sure you succeed. That isn't to say that med school isn't hard in of itself, and that boards are some sort of cake walk (not that I have done either yet myself); but, from his point of view (and he knew a lot of people that also went into med school), med schools are really interested in you succeeding.

Might be time to start a discussion thread on the merits of holistic review and diversities role on making a good physician. Personally, I think there are a lot of merits to it, as I am tired of going to physicians that don't really seem to care about interacting with me. I think this is an attempt by med schools to recruit people who still have the scholastic ability to excel as physicians, but also have the ability to provide compassion/empathy to their patients. This could be the person with high stats, or the person with acceptable stats, which is also the reason the AAMC changed the MCAT to theoretically predict that anyone above a 500 could successfully complete medical school and pass boards.

I totally agree with the intent. I'm just wondering what the best means of execution might be. But perhaps my concerns are illegitimate, and it really is a fairly objective way to find the students that are the best fit. I'm just not completely convinced of that at this point.

While I agree with much of this sentiment, we must include a caveat. While people who have actually overcome those hurdles to get where they are should be seen differently in that we need to respect those obstacles and he sacrifice it took to overcome them, not all minorities are disadvantaged.

I don't think it is the fear of criticism that drives schools to admit minorities, but the understanding that disproportionality exists in our society, and that sometimes people of minorities would like the ability to see a physician that looks like them, and can maybe relate to their own personal experience. If you have the stats to succeed in medical school, then you should be on an equal playing field as everyone else (which is the point of holistic reviews). This is especially true of medical schools that are looking at training primary care physicians, as opposed to institutions who's main focus is research oriented. Medical schools don't accept people, regardless of background, that can't complete medical school and pass boards, which is why graduation rates at medical schools are very high (96.6% 8-year graduation rate-AAMC) compared to graduate (PhD) schools (56.6% 10-year graduation rate-CGS).

I think the concern is that some with the stats to do decently may get in over those who have the stats to thrive because of such other factors. But I think you hit the nail on the head with the distinction of primary care-focused institutions versus more research-oriented ones. The other questions then becomes, is it okay for a student to get denied because they want to specialize and the school cares more about primary care... which is a multifaceted issue.

Yeah I see where you're coming from too haha. And tbh, at least the way I see it, the fact that you've gone through such a thing does make you a competent doctor. I don't think competency isn't just about the grades or the scores, but also the life experiences you overcame that shaped you, helped you mature, and enabled you to empathize with those in similar situations. You as a doctor will be able to connect with patients going through similar things in a deeper level than I can. And of course, every doctor should try to empathize, but in some situations it's easier if you had many life experiences that expanded your view of the world.

Easier to empathize, but perhaps much harder to see others go through. I agree with you overall, but there is a flipside to the issue, too.

To focus this back on our neurotic obsessions of getting the slightest bit of information on a possible acceptance...was this just wishful thinking, or do you have a lead on some solid intel?

I know there have been at least 3 interview dates since then, and I think they are behind. So my theory is they might try to catch up with another meeting today. I also think they met last Thursday since someone posted they got in last Friday, and we all got emails Monday. So guessing they meet thursdays. (<----my neurotic deductions)

If I was an immigrant who couldn't fluently speak English, I don't think I'd care if a doctor had 525 MCAT with 3.9 GPA. If she had good enough stats to go to medical school and pass the boards (505 MCAT 3.4 GPA), and on top of that, is from my culture, I'd want to see her instead.

I totally agree, and I think a lot of people from my home town would too. There is a lot of distrust with the medical field these days, and patients have rated TRUST in physicians above all other domains! Isn't that interesting?

I was once told by a physician that medicine is an art more than a science. You cannot undervalue street smarts/REAL life experiences, and I think that gpa and mcat do not give you the full picture of how good a physician a person will be. I think AAMC and most medical schools agree, hence the switch to holistic reviews now. I have tried to think about it from a white or privileged student's perspective: If I was up against a black kid from the hood, who was perhaps the only kid from his high school to make it this far and from an uneducated/poor/broken family, and he had slightly lower stats then me, is he more deserving than I am? Would I give up my seat for him? He clearly had to overcome a lot more than I did. We clearly didn't START equal? It would be a tough decision but would reflect how much I really care about equality and justice. BUT again, even with these so-called advantages white/privileged students fill up medical schools every year and dwarf the number of colored students. So I guess your real competition is other white/privileged students.

Personally, I wish all students who have worked this hard and made it this far (to the interview stage) and are not antisocial/arrogant should make it in. We have a shortage and our country keeps importing them from India and Philippines instead of training our own best and brightest. But that is a whole other can of worms....

EDIT: again no intention of generalizing people or hurting anyone's feelings. Have had this debate many times and just sharing my perspective, and honestly wish you all the best

Last edited:
I must say, that engaging in dialog with intelligent people that are excited to attend school is really making me look forward to the medical school experience...Another one of the reasons I am interested in attending UW with the new small group learning environment they have set up...is it March yet?

I must say, that engaging in dialog with intelligent people that are excited to attend school is really making me look forward to the medical school experience...Another one of the reasons I am interested in attending UW with the new small group learning environment they have set up...is it March yet?
Talking with fellow interviewees has been the highlight of my interview trail. Everyone's so into data analysis and problem-solving that it's just awesome to talk with them. For the most part, they never bring up sensationalized statistics and only bring up what is relevant to the conversation. Truly truly an awesome experience.

While I agree with much of this sentiment, we must include a caveat. While people who have actually overcome those hurdles to get where they are should be seen differently in that we need to respect those obstacles and he sacrifice it took to overcome them, not all minorities are disadvantaged.

Totally agree with what you just said. Struggles don't come from being a minority (at least not all of them). I know plenty of white people who came from severely challenging homes.

Totally agree with what you just said. Struggles don't come from being a minority (at least not all of them). I know plenty of white people who came from severely challenging homes.
Hence being called a holistic review, and not affirmative action :)

I was once told by a physician that medicine is an art more than a science. You cannot undervalue street smarts/REAL life experiences, and I think that gpa and mcat do not give you the full picture of how good a physician a person will be. I think AAMC and most medical schools agree, hence the switch to holistic reviews now.

This is a very good point. I remember my anatomy prof saying that perhaps as much as evidence-based medicine, a physician's experience and instinct from that experience is important. There just often isn't the evidence you'd want, or the time to go find it if possible.

Talking with fellow interviewees has been the highlight of my interview trail. Everyone's so into data analysis and problem-solving that it's just awesome to talk with them. For the most part, they never bring up sensationalized statistics and only bring up what is relevant to the conversation. Truly truly an awesome experience.

This is definitely the only time I've ever had this conversation with other applicants, to be sure. Usually it's more of what's your story / tell me about your research sort of stuff that leads to really cool discussions. Really interesting group of people, overall.

In some ways that would be ideal, but it's not really fair to someone if they happen to have had a good life to deny them because they haven't had difficult life experiences to overcome.
There's always something to overcome. You don't have to be a minority to struggle. Women, the socioeconomically disadvantaged, handicapped persons, immigrants, rural/reservation residents, the medically/politically underrepresented, and many other groups have their own challenges. For most people, there's privilege in some of the categories and lack of it in the others they belong to. The absolutely privileged (if there's such a person) have their own challenges too to be honest. It's not always easy to get out of your comfort-zone and become socially aware if you grew up in a very comfortable homogeneous community. I think it comes down to character development and maturity of the applicants. Needless to say that overcoming challenges isn't the only thing that matters, but how a challenge reflects on the growth of the person is very important as well. You have to use the lemons life gives you to become socially competent, caring, and curious, and I think that it's fair to judge the applicants based on that.
Making lemonade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If it helps, I interviewed mid-Dec (Seattle) and got rejected last night. It wasn't my first choice, but considering my stats and experiences and what I thought was a good interview, I'm a bit displeased... especially considering some of the people I knew that DID get in.

Interesting.

So your example is exactly opposite the way UW does it. Each member of your interview (three) writes a report separately before talking to the other two. Then they write a group report. The one member that goes to excom, presents all this info together, so a picture of you from technically 4 perspectives is given. If two interviewers disagree strongly, then you are reinvented to interview again. This eliminates any of the issues you brought up.

This is correct. The interview process attempts to account for individual preference by giving each interviewer's assessment equal weight. After the individual assessments are submitted, discussion ensues, and a new, team-based assessment is produced. This is what the excom member presents to the committee.

An important note that some of the posters in this thread may have missed, or simply forgotten in this admittedly arduous, anxiety-provoking process: UW is extremely mission-driven. That mission is to meet the health care needs of the WWAMI region, through 1. enhancing primary care for the underserved populations therein, and 2. producing leaders in the realm of academic medicine. Statistics and experiences can get you an interview. Your ability to convey your drive for pursuing those experiences, what they have taught you about medicine as a career/field, and what you hope to do with the information you gleaned from them gets you the acceptance.

Last thing. To those of you waiting on pins & needles, theorizing about the date of the next EXCOM meeting or the true meaning behind background check emails: my heart goes out to you. Tom Pretty is a wise man, the waiting is definitely the hardest part. To take some of the anxiety out of it -- the majority of the class may not hear back until March. Acceptance and surrender is the antidote to anxiety (at least for me). You can't change anything about the process, don't let it dominate your life just yet. Once you get in, you won't have a choice ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Acceptance and surrender is the antidote to anxiety (at least for me). You can't change anything about the process, don't let it dominate your life just yet. Once you get in, you won't have a choice ;)

You effectively killed the thread (or gave it the antidote)...not a singe utterance or musing since :)

Reactions: 4 users
To shift the topic a little bit -- I have my interview on Feb7th. I'm an out of state applicant from quite far away. But excited to visit Seattle for the first time.

To shift the topic a little bit -- I have my interview on Feb7th. I'm an out of state applicant from quite far away. But excited to visit Seattle for the first time.
Enjoy! I'm biased but Seattle is an awesome city :)

As long as you use enough butter in your cooking

(did I get the avatar correct I just noticed it)

I think I saw I have a on campus meeting on the 7th, if you see some guy waving to all the applicants in suites and wishing you luck, it may be me.

is there advantage or disadvantage for applicants who graduated from UW and apply UWSOM?

is there advantage or disadvantage for applicants who graduated from UW and apply UWSOM?
One could argue that UW's grading scheme in the bio/chem/physics departments puts you at a disadvantage.

No UW specific data that I've seen but schools tend to have a slight preference for their own. UW maybe less so due to heavy mission focus. Advantage increases if you did research at SOM, etc.

Have any Alaskans received a phone call yet? I'm getting so nervous

I'm gonna agree with freak7, and also include the fact that this question was brought up and Dr. Teitz addressed it in a Q&A, and said there was no preference.