2016-2017 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!! Got the call a couple of hours ago. Absolutely love this school, easily one of my top choices, and am absolutely psyched to have the chance to become a badger. IS, interviewed 9/23. On, Wisconsin!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So if we didn't get a call today, then we're waiting for a rejection via snail mail? Shoot...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email earlier today:

"We are writing to let you know that we are still in the process of making final decisions for the Regular MD program. We hope to be able to let you know of our decision within a week or two."

Not sure if this is a good or bad sign...

When did you interview? or is this pre-interview?

"We are writing to let you know that we are still in the process of making final decisions for the Regular MD program. We hope to be able to let you know of our decision within a week or two."

Pre or post interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is via snail mail, right? Not e-mail?

First notification of acceptance is via phone call. You will then receive a letter in the mail confirming acceptance and giving further instructions.

They probably just haven't gotten to the final review of your application yet. The committee only meets once per week, and it's very possible that your interviewer was late in submitting your evaluation. I wouldn't read too much into this email; they are just extending the courtesy of letting you know that they haven't forgotten about you and that a decision will come soon.

So if we didn't get a call today, then we're waiting for a rejection via snail mail? Shoot...
Not necessarily. See my post immediately above ^^^

EDIT: There is usually a spread of a few weeks within which people that interviewed on the same day may hear back.

Reactions: 1 users

When did you interview?
My interpretation of the email is that they're just running slower than the 4 week response time they mentioned on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who ever said silence is golden didn't apply to medical schools:D

Reactions: 3 users
Not necessarily. See my post immediately above ^^^

EDIT: There is usually a spread of a few weeks within which people that interviewed on the same day may hear back.

Thank you so much! You've been really helpful

I was complete late September (it took UW over a month to confirm residency). Does anyone know long it takes for them to get back to us with an interview or rejection for the in-state pool (though they are probably swamped with applications right now)?

Accepted!!!! Got the call half an hour ago!!!! Interviewed 10/7.

Heart pounding.

Surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
For those of you who have interviewed, where do you park on interview day? I can't find any information about it online or in the confirmation emails.

Has anyone else who interviewed 10/7 received any updates (acceptance calls or waitlist/ rejection letters) yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else who interviewed 10/7 received any updates (acceptance calls or waitlist/ rejection letters) yet?

I interviewed on 9/30 and haven't heard back yet. Called and was told there is another AdCom meeting this Friday.

Anyone who interviewed get something in the mail from UW yet?

How long does it usually take for them to get back to you after having your secondary complete?

I also received my waitlist letter yesterday, and I interviewed 10-21.

Last edited:
Has anyone that interviewed for the WARM program heard back yet?

Has anyone that interviewed for the WARM program heard back yet?

I haven't. I interviewed in October,and they told me the WARM committee was meeting on 11/04, and they my app had to be reviewed by the regular MD program after that. So they told me I should hear back within 3-4 weeks of my interview date on 10/28

I haven't. I interviewed in October,and they told me the WARM committee was meeting on 11/04, and they my app had to be reviewed by the regular MD program after that. So they told me I should hear back within 3-4 weeks of my interview date on 10/28

Thanks for the info! I interviewed at the end of September, and when I called and asked about my application, they said the committee was still making decisions but didn't provide a ballpark of when I might hear back... I'm just surprised it's taking so long to get a decision, so now I'm just checking my mail obsessively haha.

Thanks for the info! I interviewed at the end of September, and when I called and asked about my application, they said the committee was still making decisions but didn't provide a ballpark of when I might hear back... I'm just surprised it's taking so long to get a decision, so now I'm just checking my mail obsessively haha.

I take that back. I missed a call from my interviewer this afternoon "about the status of my WARM application". But I can't call back because I'm at work from 4-12 tonight! arghh!

Wow it really seems that grades and MCAT Score aren't the main thing they are looking for. What do you guys think they are looking for, you guys have amazing stats?

Accepted to the WARM program this morning!

Reactions: 6 users
Wow it really seems that grades and MCAT Score aren't the main thing they are looking for. What do you guys think they are looking for, you guys have amazing stats?
They probably do a very holistic review and assess a person's character and motivations as best they can rather than just looking for people with high stats and who've checked off all the premed requirements

They probably do a very holistic review and assess a person's character and motivations as best they can rather than just looking for people with high stats and who've checked off all the premed requirements
you think being URM would help?

At my interview day we were told they do a very comprehensive holistic review. After several reviewers go over and rate your application, the reviewer that ranked you highest presents your file to the voting committee. The reviewer begins with something like:

"This is _____. (S)he was born on ______ to (mom) and (dad). As a child _____... etc., etc.", all the way up to the present day.

Everyone on the committee then has a chance to discuss your application before they vote.

So, yeah, it's hard to imagine a much more comprehensive and holistic review than that.

you think being URM would help?
The told us that they do value diversity of all kinds, including age, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, hobbies, life experiences, etc.

At my interview day we were told they do a very comprehensive holistic review. After several reviewers go over and rate your application, the reviewer that ranked you highest presents your file to the voting committee. The reviewer begins with something like:

"This is _____. (S)he was born on ______ to (mom) and (dad). As a child _____... etc., etc.", all the way up to the present day.

Everyone on the committee then has a chance to discuss your application before they vote.

So, yeah, it's hard to imagine a much more comprehensive and holistic review than that.
Dang, son. No wonder they take so freaking long :shifty: lol

This shows there's no such thing as "perfect" ECs…and anyone who claims to have them just might be exuding some arrogance that they may or may not actually have and that a skilled interviewer should definitely detect.

ACCEPTED! My first one! I was called yesterday, but missed it due to the fact I was at work so I didn't find out until just now!

Reactions: 3 users