2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when does Baylor let you know if youre on the waitlist? interviewed in Jan and wondering what the silence means
So it looks like the official waitlist email was sent out on May 2nd for the previous two cycles. That being said, I'm sure dates change all the time!

Members don't see this ad.

when does Baylor let you know if youre on the waitlist? interviewed in Jan and wondering what the silence means
If you are waitlisted, you won’t find out until after April 30th, the national reply date. They procrastinate on this it seems. But yeah, you’ll find out around the beginning of May

re:
It was for need. Got neither merit nor need here. Although I knew some that did .Those people seemed to get them soon after acceptance but I'm sure it's possible to get one at anytime

~~~~~

Just one experience here, FWIW and FYI...offer (OOS) came in early May from the WL...50% scholarship offered with the call...need versus merit was not mentioned, so we assumed it was merit. Interestingly perhaps, the 50% offer in exact dollars was 50% of OOS tuition for MS1, and 50% of IS tuition for years 2-4. That left it to us to figure out (well, duh! :)) that we should establish residence via a condo purchase, which we did promptly so there would be a full year of Texas residence before MS2 began. Savings over IS tuition for our home state public medical school tuition would prove to be enough to pay for a good portion of the condo in Med Center/University area.

Unquestionably, there is movement after that April 30 national reply date mentioned just above. Some number of OOS acceptees actually opt to go elsewhere, which might seem surprising at first blush. Perhaps they have gotten full free ride offers at home state public schools, or opt instead for other top-regarded schools like Hopkins, Washington U., or Stanford. These 4 led (in order) in average Lizzy M scores for acceptees when last I looked several years ago. Example: "BlackOrthoSurg" noted just above that s/he just dropped her/his BCM acceptance upon learning about aid offered.

Less than 2 weeks until national reply date when there will be at least some movement...keep the faith and good luck, WL's! :luck: :)
Calls might come, say, a week to 10 days later (just a guess based on our experience).

A thought: there is much understandable gnashing of teeth about BCM's methodical acceptance process, and especially its bent to remain incommunicado. One recent female student has said that she thinks that they are trying to assemble the very best class they can each year, which in turn is partly a function also of top candidates sometimes opting to go elsewhere...hence, some late acceptances.

But hey, getting accepted in May is just as good as October, except for the angst of waiting...when you show up for classes, nobody knows WHEN you were accepted. And thereafter, BCM's excellent education will lead to top shelf average Step 1 scores (sometimes # 1 in the nation) and excellent matches. The process WORKS. :thumbup: :happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can it be May already so I can move on with my life?! I didn't want to sign a lease just yet because of Baylor and lost an apartment >. <

Reactions: 4 users
Is it pretty easy to get involved with research as an M1/M2 at Baylor?

Do you think there are any more acceptances left to hand out? Or will it probably be just waitlist now? Trying my best to keep staying hopeful but man is it emotionally painful lol.

Man we’re at the last week and they’re really dragging this down to the last wire...it seems like there were no acceptances in the last week last year. Can anyone confirm?

Man we’re at the last week and they’re really dragging this down to the last wire...it seems like there were no acceptances in the last week last year. Can anyone confirm?
You could always call admissions and ask if the class is full! I think most of the movement will happen after the April 30th deadline, when people are limited to holding one acceptance. There could still be people debating between Baylor and somewhere else, but ultimately choosing the other place. Hang in there y’al!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been stalking this page daily since january to see when people were getting acceptance notifications. I interviewed in September and had honestly lost hope that I'd ever hear anything & was mentally moving on to a different school. And then... admissions called me yesterday and I got in! I literally am still in shock and now in a panic that I have 5 days to decide where I'm going, BUT hopefully this gives someone else hope who is still waiting to hear! It has definitely been a long road mentally & emotionally.

Also... since second look has clearly passed us, if anyone who was able to go could maybe share what it was like or message me?? I was really hoping to get a chance to go back and visit Baylor if it was going to be an option for me, so it's a little stressful that I can't. Thanks in advance & good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
I've been stalking this page daily since january to see when people were getting acceptance notifications. I interviewed in September and had honestly lost hope that I'd ever hear anything & was mentally moving on to a different school. And then... admissions called me yesterday and I got in! I literally am still in shock and now in a panic that I have 5 days to decide where I'm going, BUT hopefully this gives someone else hope who is still waiting to hear! It has definitely been a long road mentally & emotionally.

Also... since second look has clearly passed us, if anyone who was able to go could maybe share what it was like or message me?? I was really hoping to get a chance to go back and visit Baylor if it was going to be an option for me, so it's a little stressful that I can't. Thanks in advance & good luck everyone!
Wow that's great news! The general consensus on this page was pretty much that all of us who haven't heard a word from this place in 6-7 months were headed for the WL. Can you share a little about your stats? Particularly IS or OOS?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats that's so exciting! I interviewed in September too and have definitely given up hope on Baylor, but this gives me hope even if I'm waitlisted of maybe getting in later...

Hi y'all! I'm new to SDN. I still haven't heard from Baylor yet either. My residency status is complicated and my Lizzy M score is 69. I interviewed in early November

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply! I'm considered IS and LizzyM score is 71.6.
I know it's been a super long road, but don't give up hope! I had pretty much assumed I'd been silently rejected by Baylor at this point - rooting for all of you!!

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply! I'm considered IS and LizzyM score is 71.6.
I know it's been a super long road, but don't give up hope! I had pretty much assumed I'd been silently rejected by Baylor at this point - rooting for all of you!!
Congratulations! I went to second look, so if you have any Q's feel free to shoot me a PM!

does anyone get rejected at this point or only waitlisted?

Waitlisted as well a few minutes ago. Do they send out post-interview rejections or is everyone that hasn’t heard back waitlisted?

That’s weird I just got mine just now! Looks like they don’t send them all at the same time
Lol whoops I meant I got it right then. I have no idea why I said this morning-today just must be going by really fast

does anyone get rejected at this point or only waitlisted?
I believe everyone who interviews is either accepted or waitlisted, no denials. You’re still in the running until they send the “our class is full” email, and that occurs around mid June.

Does anyone know how much waitlist there is off the movement historically? I saw 15 on MSAR and it looks like there were only a handful on SDN last year

LOOK a carrier pigeon from Houston has finally arrived after a long 8 month journey from Texas. Waitlist as well. Here’s to hoping there are a decent number of openings for all of us on here!

Reactions: 3 users
I didn’t get a email but my portal changed to being on the waitlist...weird

is there any point of sending an LOI at this point (im waitlisted)?

Received merit offer yesterday from acceptance in March! Nothing on the need-based front yet, but I'm to blame for that (put the wrong SSN in the application, took a while to figure out why they couldn't find my FAFSA :playful:)

I got the call yesterday! Was on the waitlist, so there is definitely movement. I interviewed in October, so I didn't think I'd hear anything at this point.

Reactions: 5 users
I got the call yesterday! Was on the waitlist, so there is definitely movement. I interviewed in October, so I didn't think I'd hear anything at this point.
Congrats! Did u send a letter of intent?

I was accepted on Friday and I’d really like to hear about the second look as well if anyone could take the time.

DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU DON"T WANT TO HEAR AN ANTI BAYLOR RANT

Wow it's really crickets on this thread. I just want to say and this is my final post on this topic; the way this school does things is RIDICULOUS and RUDE. You simply cannot leave people with NO IDEA where they stand (other than a 2 sentence wl email) for 8 months. How come all the top 10 schools are able to notify in March?? There is no way I believe that this utter lack of consideration doesn't continue in some way at the school This is the only school that does things this way. And so different than from how I understand the rest of the Texas schools do things from and let's face it. With 90% coming from IS it's basically a state school at this point.

I would never give up my other T20 acceptance to go here so I want to withdraw so badly from this place but then another part of me wants to get in so I can say "yeah. No"

Thank you Baylor lovers for letting me rant!!! Good luck to all who want to matriculate here especially my fellow OOS'ers!!

Last edited:

Wow it's really crickets on this thread. I just want to say and this is my final post on this topic; the way this school does things is RIDICULOUS and RUDE. You simply cannot leave people with NO IDEA where they stand (other than a 2 sentence wl email) for 8 months. How come all the top 10 schools are able to notify in March?? There is no way I believe that this utter lack of consideration doesn't continue in some way at the school This is the only school that does things this way. And so different than from how I understand the rest of the Texas schools do things from and let's face it. With 90% coming from IS it's basically a state school at this point.

I would never give up my other T20 acceptance to go here so I want to withdraw so badly from this place but then another part of me wants to get in so I can say "yeah. No"

Thank you Baylor lovers for letting me rant!!! Good luck to all who want to matriculate here especially my fellow OOS'ers!!

Vomit.

I feel you but at the same time if you don't hear correspondence from a school it probably means you're not yet accepted. They've accepted people on what seems like a rolling basis (as can be deduced from the slowly growing FB group), and for the rest of us, I think it's frustrating but we also can't expect them to give us biweekly updates on our status... I don't think any school does that... Right now we just have to wait to see whether people drop out, and then they'll slowly move down the waitlist!

If they're going to accept us, they'll email us. If they don't email us.... well we're probably not accepted lol or very high on the ranking list.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Guys Im just a 2019 cycle lurker trying to figure out what type of stats mainly mcat score i need for BCM. I have a 3.96 GPA/ 3.92sGPA i would say above average EC & research. As well im a URM texas resident, I'm conflicted because on MSAR i see the mcat scores of matriculated applicants but i know of people who got in with lower mcat scores. Can anyone help me out with about what i need on MCAT as well the subsection scores! thanks and congrats to everyone who got in!! yall are goals!!!

Hey Guys Im just a 2019 cycle lurker trying to figure out what type of stats mainly mcat score i need for BCM. I have a 3.96 GPA/ 3.92sGPA i would say above average EC & research. As well im a URM texas resident, I'm conflicted because on MSAR i see the mcat scores of matriculated applicants but i know of people who got in with lower mcat scores. Can anyone help me out with about what i need on MCAT as well the subsection scores! thanks and congrats to everyone who got in!! yall are goals!!!
What do you mean by lower MCAT scores? Like below the 25th percentile on the msar? Regardless. A 50th percentile MCAT score compared to the MSAR stats for Baylor should be okay and anything more is ideal

Congrats! Did u send a letter of intent?

Late response, but I did not send a letter of intent.

On a side note, I will say that the school has been more communicative now that I've been accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
This morning at 10:02 AM, I got a call from Dr. Vallejo. We talked a few minuted about parents and school before he extended an offer of acceptance. Before the call, saying that I was frustrated with BCM was an understatement. I had already accepted an offer at another school and was ready to study there. That being said, when life gives you lemons... Best of luck to everyone still waiting; I will do my best to amend this messed-up system. Like everyone, I hate Baylor's communication. I did send a letter of intent on the first of May. I also have a feeling that the letter helped my chances. @BCMClassof2022 can't wait to meet y'all

Reactions: 7 users
This morning at 10:02 AM, I got a call from Dr. Vallejo. We talked a few minuted about parents and school before he extended an offer of acceptance. Before the call, saying that I was frustrated with BCM was an understatement. I had already accepted an offer at another school and was ready to study there. That being said, when life gives you lemons... Best of luck to everyone still waiting; I will do my best to amend this messed-up system. Like everyone, I hate Baylor's communication. I did send a letter of intent on the first of May. I also have a feeling that the letter helped my chances. @BCMClassof2022 can't wait to meet y'all

IS or OOS?

My stats were 523 and 3.96 and I'm still on the "waitlist" so...