2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering did anyone get an email from marketing for their MBS program? I'm assuming if there's no response at this point + receiving this email = rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone tried to get loans from iHelp for this school yet

Has anyone tried to get loans from iHelp for this school yet
I started an application to see what rate I'd get. I did not get their lowest rate despite having a looooong credit history...
You?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 4/16 and haven't heard anything yet. But I'm checking my email every 3-5 seconds, so I'll let you know when I know something.

Interviewed 4/6 and I haven't heard anything yet

yea about 30 minutes ago

I'm not really sure where to go from here during the interview day they said they didnt like to waitlist/reject people and would just put them on hold and cont reevaluate them so i think a waitlist is pretty much a rejection

yea about 30 minutes ago

I'm not really sure where to go from here during the interview day they said they didnt like to waitlist/reject people and would just put them on hold and cont reevaluate them so i think a waitlist is pretty much a rejection
Was it an explicit waitlist or was it a 'you're still being considered'? Because I got the latter and thought it was a rejection for sure - then got accepted a week later.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was explicit:

"I am writing to inform you that you have been placed on the School of Medicine’s waitlist for a position in the Class of 2022. Waitlisted applicants are individuals we would like to see in the class had there been more seats available to accommodate them. As applicants with multiple acceptances make a singular choice of where to attend medical school, seats become available for those on the waitlist. We will be in touch with you as soon as a final decision is made regarding your application. Thank you for your continued interest in our program. "

Also I feel like it’s impossible to get off the waitlist here since people with multiple acceptances already gave them up and they have like 5 more interview dates from which they will accept people?

Also I feel like it’s impossible to get off the waitlist here since people with multiple acceptances already gave them up and they have like 5 more interview dates from which they will accept people?
People with recent (this week) acceptances have a few days to decide still. Have hope.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 4/23 - wait listed today. Dang, thought interview went very well.

I haven't had my interview yet but received the waitlist email too. *Huh

Don't give up hope! Waitlist movement hasn't really started yet and I'm sure a lot of those who were accepted are on multiple waitlists

Wait what? Did you receive an interview invite? Hoping this is a glitch then???

Yes it's scheduled for later this month. The email greeting had my name, so I don't know what kind of glitch..

Reactions: 1 users
Wait what? Did you receive an interview invite? Hoping this is a glitch then???

Mine had my name so it seems personalized too idk maybe they already ranked us and interview doesn’t matter lol

Mine had my name so it seems personalized too idk maybe they already ranked us and interview doesn’t matter lol
Yes it's scheduled for later this month. The email greeting had my name, so I don't know what kind of glitch..

Womp, mine was also with my name. That's unfortunate. Hopefully the people that haven't interviewed yet still have a chance! That would be cruel if they don't.

This school has managed to put me on an emotional rollercoaster in the most unexpected ways. I'm so confused now haha.

I would imagine that a waitlist pre-interview is a mistake. The name on the email probably comes from a form that has an <applicant name> entry.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if you can actually get off waitlists before all the interview days are done? It’s really confusing to be on the waitlist in May ( should I email adcom asking how it works) sorry for the spam today I just really don’t know what to think of it

Does anyone know if you can actually get off waitlists before all the interview days are done? It’s really confusing to be on the waitlist in May ( should I email adcom asking how it works) sorry for the spam today I just really don’t know what to think of it
Seems like CalMed would be pulling someone off the WL each time someone turned down an acceptance... especially at this late date, so that they could keep the class as close to 60 as possible. Wouldn't hurt to call them first thing tomorrow, I don't think. I called them once before and they were super nice.

I interviewed 3/26 and I still havent heard anything except under consideration?? surprised people would be waitlisted before me but idk. LM 71~72 oos

Seems like CalMed would be pulling someone off the WL each time someone turned down an acceptance... especially at this late date, so that they could keep the class as close to 60 as possible. Wouldn't hurt to call them first thing tomorrow, I don't think. I called them once before and they were super nice.

Honestly I would be fine with them doing that but if it is waiting till after the last interview day (in june?) I feel like its hopeless lol there is no way they can go through 100 more people and not accept like 20 more

I interviewed 3/26 and I still havent heard anything except under consideration?? surprised people would be waitlisted before me but idk. LM 71~72 oos

They said during the interview day they just put most people on hold and don't waitlist/reject them and keep re-reviewing the apps on hold against the new apps

Of those of you who have yet to interview - does anyone remember the latest interview date on the portal?

Yea but idk why they would waitlist then until the end of all interviews

They said during the interview day they just put most people on hold and don't waitlist/reject them and keep re-reviewing the apps on hold against the new apps

Got a waitlist email at 6:30pm CST. Awkwardly, it was addressed to "Andrew" (which is not my name).

So if there is an Andrew out there who just got an acceptance email addressed to "Matt," let me know and I'll arm-wrestle you for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Yea but idk why they would waitlist then until the end of all interviews

It honestly just feels like a soft rejection. They said they don't like waitlisting/rejecting early on because then they have to notify AAMC but don't when they "hold"

There's an internal poll in the FB group and half of us voted that we will bounce if we get off a WL. They'll prob have to accept around 120. If they interview 350 candidates, then then the post interview acceptance rate will be 35% - pretty standard for a MD school.
Did you all read what MD2022 said . There is hope and I just got off a w/l somewhere else tonight. And to LOLHOLA there is a chance for you do not give up hope.

Reactions: 2 users
It honestly just feels like a soft rejection. They said they don't like waitlisting/rejecting early on because then they have to notify AAMC but don't when they "hold"
This is what it says under NOTIFICATIONS OF DECISIONS for w/l

Wait List
All applicants placed on the wait list will be informed by a letter from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions via U.S. mail within 2 weeks of the committee’s decision.

The acceptance process will repeat after each interview cycle until the incoming class is filled. If there are still positions available in the incoming class after May 15 of the matriculation year, then the applicants who have been placed on the waitlist will be offered positions in numbers sufficient to fill the incoming class.

you have a shot for sure. be positive

Congrats! The April 30 effects are starting to ripple out. :)
hang tight If it happened to me it will happen and by friday I think more will come out

Got a waitlist email at 6:30pm CST. Awkwardly, it was addressed to "Andrew" (which is not my name).

So if there is an Andrew out there who just got an acceptance email addressed to "Matt," let me know and I'll arm-wrestle you for it.
change your name LOL. You can be an Andrew.( poor answer wherever he may be)

Northstate does the same thing. They w/l and they still have another interview day May 11th.

Question to those who interviewed is there an anatomy lab with cadavers? Or just models? thx

Question to those who interviewed is there an anatomy lab with cadavers? Or just models? thx
There will be in the permanent building, in two years. In the temp building, there's an anatomy lab with prosection + plastination.

Anatomy lab with cadavers that are prosected. Students interested in surgical specialties will get the ability to disect cadavers during clinical years (I forget when exactly). I think this info was also in the handbook.

Edit: Dang too slow.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what it says under NOTIFICATIONS OF DECISIONS for w/l

Wait List
All applicants placed on the wait list will be informed by a letter from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions via U.S. mail within 2 weeks of the committee’s decision.

The acceptance process will repeat after each interview cycle until the incoming class is filled. If there are still positions available in the incoming class after May 15 of the matriculation year, then the applicants who have been placed on the waitlist will be offered positions in numbers sufficient to fill the incoming class.

you have a shot for sure. be positive

Thank you for the hope and CONGRATS on getting accepted!!

Im just not sure if the info in the handbook relevant to this year or if the May 15th thing is more for a date for the upcoming years with normal cycles? I’m going to email the admissions committee today and hopefully get more answers

So they've released financial aid information. I'll give you a quick breakdown of what we're looking at here:

There are two separate applications available, one for merit based aid and one for need based.

Scholarships awarded in this way will last for all 4 years (as long as you maintain good academic standing).

Merit Based: Requires a 3.7 GPA or greater, a 514 MCAT or greater, a Resume to be submitted and a few short answer responses.

Award will be between $10,000 - $30,000

Need Based: Requires you to fill out a EFC (expected family contribution) calculator worksheet, submit a Resume and also answer a few short questions.

Award will be between $5,000 - $30,000

Applications are open from May 2nd to June 1st and everyone will receive notification on June 15th of their award.

You can apply to both but can only be awarded one (I'm assuming the one that is greater in amount).

The applications will be sent out via email from the Director of Financial Aid.

Reactions: 4 users

Ugh! Admissions made another mistake! I'm not actually on the waitlist.

Accepted. 514. 3.69. OOS.

Sorry, Andrew.

Reactions: 7 users
Ugh! Admissions made another mistake! I'm not actually on the waitlist.

Accepted. 514. 3.69. OOS.

Sorry, Andrew.
I wouldn't say ugh to that haha! Congrats! Wish mine was a mistake, my interview went great and I was on the top 2-3% of stats for the school, was thinking its a mistake but i guess not if I didnt get a correction. Baffles me how they get to their decisions. oh well, time to go out of state. :/