2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh... I think I got rejected, but the email sent was not from admissions but from their marketing email? They wanted me to apply to their MBS program instead. I was under consideration for a while now.

Edit: I have no idea if this is legit or not. The subject line says: "How about a postbac program?" Does anyone have any advice on this?

I got that email earlier too and am just assuming the same thing. Mine was titled "CalMed MBS Program" but it's probably my rejection email. I wish they would've just sent me one straight up lol

Members don't see this ad.

Can you guys post the body of the email?

Subject: How about a postbac program?

Dear XXXXXX,

The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and has decided not to offer you acceptance into the Class of 2022.

We were most grateful to have received applications from so many students, like you, who exhibited excellent intellectual and personal qualities. With so many talented and highly qualified candidates, the Admissions Committee faced a very difficult task.

Perhaps you are considering completing a master’s degree as a way to improve your chances or as preparation for other health and science careers. If so, we would like to make you aware of a new Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) program we are starting this July.

The California University of Science and Medicine’s Master of Biomedical Sciences degree is an innovative program designed for students who wish to enhance their academic qualifications and candidacy for a career in healthcare, such as an MD, DO, DDS, PhD or other professions such as nursing, pharmacy, research, education, physician assistant and biomedical technology.

Students enrolled in our MBS program, who desire to reapply to medical school and have at least a 3.0 GPA and MCAT score of at least 502, will be offered the opportunity to interview, if desired, for a position in our MD program. An MCAT score is not, however required for acceptance in to the MBS program. We encourage you to pursue your goals and to consider this program in your journey towards a career in healthcare!

Yours sincerely,

The Admissions Team

For more information on the MBS program, please contact the MBS Program Director, Dr. Atamna

A link to the MBS program is included below for your convenience.

Edit: This email makes it sound like I never even received an interview invite from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting the email. Maybe it was an error? They were sending out rejections accidentally earlier. Otherwise, I hope you hear good news elsewhere!

Thanks for posting the email. Maybe it was an error? They were sending out rejections accidentally earlier. Otherwise, I hope you hear good news elsewhere!

I hope so. This new school is kinda chaotic lol. And thanks. You too!

Waitlisted just now

Interviewed 5/4 so i'm pretty shocked by their response time

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the last interview date May 18th? Maybe we can expect to see waitlist movement starting the week after?

Have there been any acceptances recently? All I've been seeing is waitlisted or rejected :(

Reactions: 1 user
Have there been any acceptances recently? All I've been seeing is waitlisted or rejected :(

Honestly if there are 40 people on the fb group its likely that there are 20 accepted people out there that don't use student doctor or fb. Maybe all 60 students have already been accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly if there are 40 people on the fb group its likely that there are 20 accepted people out there that don't use student doctor or fb. Maybe all 60 students have already been accepted?

And they are still interviewing till the end of May so there will be even more people added to the waitlist?

Anyone not getting into their MD program previous cycle planning to apply to their MBS?

someone dropped off the FB now
Uh... I think I got rejected, but the email sent was not from admissions but from their marketing email? They wanted me to apply to their MBS program instead. I was under consideration for a while now.

Edit: I have no idea if this is legit or not. The subject line says: "How about a postbac program?" Does anyone have any advice on this?
it is legit. Hence the first line . They are giving you something to help improve our chances for next year. Most people who do a post-bac exponentially improve their chances of acceptance and since they have one they are saying they will probably accept you if you do.

someone dropped off the FB now

it is legit. Hence the first line . They are giving you something to help improve our chances for next year. Most people who do a post-bac exponentially improve their chances of acceptance and since they have one they are saying they will probably accept you if you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Just checked FB now 39 someone must have gotten accepted elsewhere. Don't lose hope there are at least 21 slots left and two more decision days left and less than 38 more interviewers so those waiting for one acceptance keep positive thoughts. If anyone has research experience PM me.

Just checked FB now 39 someone must have gotten accepted elsewhere. Don't lose hope there are at least 21 slots left and two more decision days left and less than 38 more interviewers so those waiting for one acceptance keep positive thoughts. If anyone has research experience PM me.

I've got about 2 years of full time bench research experience if that's what you mean, if no one has answered your inquiries yet.

Besides that, does anyone know if the Colton area is nice or a decent place to live? Have found some decent looking apartments there but I've never lived in SoCal so I know nothing about the area's nature.

I had a very brief clinical research experience.

I've got about 2 years of full time bench research experience if that's what you mean, if no one has answered your inquiries yet.

Besides that, does anyone know if the Colton area is nice or a decent place to live? Have found some decent looking apartments there but I've never lived in SoCal so I know nothing about the area's nature.

One of the early comments in this thread from someone who was around the area suggested not living too close to the school given the crime rate/poverty rate of the area. S/he suggested commuting to class. If memory serves correctly they also provided a few better areas.

The first two years for the inaugural class are in San Bernardino and the last two years are in Colton. I live in Redlands (about 15 minutes drive from the school). I will continue living here and recommend living here - most people in Redlands will have an even shorter drive the first 2 years. There’s also Loma Linda as another good option. Redlands has a nice downtown and a farmers market on Thursday nights. Redlands and Loma Linda are pretty safe although I recommend using a crime map. I’m not sure where you’re from so I can’t judge relative crime. I feel safe living in Redlands.

I wonder how many IS vs. OOS students they plan on accepting?
they did say "slight advantage" being from IE, but not as much of factor this cycle. I think there are going to be more OOS in the inaugural class, but future cycles will have more in state

Anyone that was accepted, how were you notified of the acceptance?

How many people are on the waitlist? I counted ~7 from previous replies

How many people are on the waitlist? I counted ~7 from previous replies

16 interview days x ~20 people per interview day = 320 interviewees total

If we look at how many people reported acceptances on SDN vs actual class size ratio we can get an estimate I guess.

If we look at how many people reported acceptances on SDN vs actual class size ratio we can get an estimate I guess.

haha too much math for me

Still silence from interview 3/26, most likely gonna be a reject at this point I figure.

I'd do 16 days x ~16 people per day. My interview day only had 12 total and I believe interview days were capped at 16 when I signed up for mine.

First interview day had 21 people, second had 24, the remaining 14 interview days (assuming there were ~16 per day) comes up to ~269 total interviewees. Maybe up to 20 more if some interview days actually had 20 people.

Anyway:

20 people reported on SDN that they were accepted. If there's currently 38 people in the facebook group that would mean a ~2:1 acceptance to SDN post ratio, but that's highly unlikely, it's probably more like 4:1 at the minimum lol based on what I've seen on other school threads.

9 people reported waitlisted btw.

Last edited: