2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasnt going to make the deposit yet, but I was also looking on the portal to find out where you actually do it and I cant find it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok Cool! Yeah I didn’t plan on it yet because I’m holding out for some more interviews. My luck tho I wouldn’t pay it and then this will be my only acceptance! We have to pay by December correct?

Members don't see this ad.

For those accepted are you all having any issues making the deposit? I am struggling to make the deposit if someone has succeeded could you send me a DM? Thanks much :)

yeah it has not appeared for me either and it has been almost 2 weeks or so but I would not worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II hold...

Complete 8/10
Don't be too let down. Coming from someone who was also on pre-II hold, and is now a first year student, it's by no means a soft rejection. Just send periodic updates to remind them that you're still interested. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Don't be too let down. Coming from someone who was also on pre-II hold, and is now a first year student, it's by no means a soft rejection. Just send periodic updates once a month to remind them that you're still interested. :)

Did you send updates after being Pre-II hold? If so, do you remember to whom? Thanks! :)

Did you send updates after being Pre-II hold? If so, do you remember to whom? Thanks! :)
I did! I guess I have no written proof that it works, but things did seem to happen coincidentally close to whenever I'd send updates.

I think the [email protected] email is the best for that. It's not some generic email, it actually does go to real people.

Reactions: 1 user
I did! I guess I have no written proof that it works, but things did seem to happen coincidentally close to whenever I'd send updates.

I think the [email protected] email is the best for that. It's not some generic email, it actually does go to real people.

Did you only send academic updates? I already graduated so I don’t really have any updates except for a new job and continued interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had graduated too. I volunteered a bunch, did extra education and took on extra projects at work.

If you want specifics, feel free to PM me.

Just got accepted. Interviewed 09/29. Really loved the school its going to be a tough choice.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! Interviewed 9/29!

Reactions: 6 users
Received an II yesterday, but will be declining. Hope my slot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Will be withdrawing my acceptance, hope my spot goes to one of you guys. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
holy smokes! 6 acceptances? where were you accepted, if you don't mind sharing?
No, I don't mind at all! I was accepted to Western COMP Lebanon, Western COMP Pomona, AZCOM, DMU, KCU, and Touro NV :)

Can any current students speak to why they chose DMU? I was accepted to DMU and CCOM and am having a hard time determining where I will ultimately send in my deposit. Both schools have very similar stats. I'm really looking for positives and negatives of DMU (feel free to PM me).

Can any current students speak to why they chose DMU? I was accepted to DMU and CCOM and am having a hard time determining where I will ultimately send in my deposit. Both schools have very similar stats. I'm really looking for positives and negatives of DMU (feel free to PM me).

They should post their answer on here so we can all see! :highfive:

No, I don't mind at all! I was accepted to Western COMP Lebanon, Western COMP Pomona, AZCOM, DMU, KCU, and Touro NV :)

oh wow we have a very similar interview schedule (/ places been accepted to). Do you know which school you are leaning towards? I have a very hard time deciding

oh wow we have a very similar interview schedule. Do you know which school you are leaning towards? I have a very hard time deciding
I'm having a really difficult time deciding as well. I'm a CA resident so I grouped AZCOM, both COMPS, and Touro NV together in one group (close to home) and DMU and KCU in another group (far from home). I narrowed it down in the "close to home" group to just COMP in Pomona. I decided I'd prefer to stay in state since all schools were pretty comparable in my eyes. The other group, far from home, I haven't yet narrowed down. I'm going to revisit both schools the first week of December to try to decide. And then at that point I'll decide between COMP Pomona and whichever one of those I picked based off of gut feel.

I had the exact same decision and I chose DMU. The price tag for CCOM was just too much, paired with cost of living out there. The place I am renting now is a 2 bed/1.5 bath with great amenities and I'm paying what I would be for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom around CCOM. I'm originally from about 15 min from the campus and my family is there but it just isn't worth the extra $$$ to me. Yes there are some great rotation sites within Chicago, but you also have to realize you aren't in the city and traffic can be a huge pain. Both CCOM and DMU are established schools with great reputations, and can both get you where you need to go. In my case, I plan on scheduling a few rotations in the Chicagoland area anyway, so the rotations around Chicago aspect was negligible. Also, the interview day for DMU blew CCOMs out of the water in my opinion. At CCOM we just sat in a conference room for 3 hours during the interview, while at DMU there was more things to do and you got a better feel of the overall vibe of the campus since you aren't held in a seperate room. The vibe was just better for me out at DMU, maybe because I'm a nontraditional student, and CCOM just seemed more 'gunner-y' to me. Also CCOM has lectures that aren't recorded (or at least theyre working on getting them all recorded), which in my opinion is a huge waste of time. Take everything I said here with a grain of salt, as these are just my opinions, and do not reflect in any way another person's judgement.

TLDR; Basically CCOM is wayyyyyy too much $$$ for not enough of a boost in overall career prep, DMU has a great, collaborative atmosphere, great faculty and has recorded lectures (CCOM doesn't have all of them). They both have a 5+ year run of 100% match and great board averages so either way you can't go wrong, but that money will bite you in the butt later on in life, I'll go ahead and pass on an extra $30,000 a year.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have insight as to how detrimental it is to have not sent interview thank yous?

Anyone have insight as to how detrimental it is to have not sent interview thank yous?
I didn’t send any thank you letters after any of my interviews and still got acceptances so I really don’t think it makes a difference.

I didn’t send any thank you letters after any of my interviews and still got acceptances so I really don’t think it makes a difference.
You rock. Thanks for easing my mind, congrats on the acceptances :D

I really don't think it matters. I sent thank you letters to my interviewers after one interview because I truly thought they were awesome and the interview was actually fun. I wouldn't force myself to send one if I had nothing to say, though.

I'll try to post a pretty in-depth response to this after our exam on Tuesday. I was also accepted to AZCOM and I know that's just a satellite school to CCOM so I think all my reasons for not accepting there are still pretty applicable.

Ultimately it boiled down to location and cost for me initially, but now that I'm here, the community is what clinches it.

Last edited:
I'm having a really difficult time deciding as well. I'm a CA resident so I grouped AZCOM, both COMPS, and Touro NV together in one group (close to home) and DMU and KCU in another group (far from home). I narrowed it down in the "close to home" group to just COMP in Pomona. I decided I'd prefer to stay in state since all schools were pretty comparable in my eyes. The other group, far from home, I haven't yet narrowed down. I'm going to revisit both schools the first week of December to try to decide. And then at that point I'll decide between COMP Pomona and whichever one of those I picked based off of gut feel.

I would be more then happy to compare pros and cons with you at a later date as well to help decide. I am a CA resident myself so a very similar predicament staying close to home v. great opportunities futher away.

I had the exact same decision and I chose DMU. The price tag for CCOM was just too much, paired with cost of living out there. The place I am renting now is a 2 bed/1.5 bath with great amenities and I'm paying what I would be for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom around CCOM. I'm originally from about 15 min from the campus and my family is there but it just isn't worth the extra $$$ to me. Yes there are some great rotation sites within Chicago, but you also have to realize you aren't in the city and traffic can be a huge pain. Both CCOM and DMU are established schools with great reputations, and can both get you where you need to go. In my case, I plan on scheduling a few rotations in the Chicagoland area anyway, so the rotations around Chicago aspect was negligible. Also, the interview day for DMU blew CCOMs out of the water in my opinion. At CCOM we just sat in a conference room for 3 hours during the interview, while at DMU there was more things to do and you got a better feel of the overall vibe of the campus since you aren't held in a seperate room. The vibe was just better for me out at DMU, maybe because I'm a nontraditional student, and CCOM just seemed more 'gunner-y' to me. Also CCOM has lectures that aren't recorded (or at least theyre working on getting them all recorded), which in my opinion is a huge waste of time. Take everything I said here with a grain of salt, as these are just my opinions, and do not reflect in any way another person's judgement.

TLDR; Basically CCOM is wayyyyyy too much $$$ for not enough of a boost in overall career prep, DMU has a great, collaborative atmosphere, great faculty and has recorded lectures (CCOM doesn't have all of them). They both have a 5+ year run of 100% match and great board averages so either way you can't go wrong, but that money will bite you in the butt later on in life, I'll go ahead and pass on an extra $30,000 a year.

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. I'm in the same situation as Rainbows&Waterfalls between DMU and CCOM. How are the rotations at DMU? I heard from someone that the rotations basically consist of shadowing and they don't get to interview/examine the patient. Is this just one bad site or is that fairly common?

Also how often do you have exams and how big are they? At CCOM I know they test 2-3 times per week but the exams are smaller than the big cumulative exams at other schools.

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. I'm in the same situation as Rainbows&Waterfalls between DMU and CCOM. How are the rotations at DMU? I heard from someone that the rotations basically consist of shadowing and they don't get to interview/examine the patient. Is this just one bad site or is that fairly common?

Also how often do you have exams and how big are they? At CCOM I know they test 2-3 times per week but the exams are smaller than the big cumulative exams at other schools.

From my knowledge that's how all rotations are, at least at first. You're a third year medical student...you don't know how to do anything besides take a history/physical and maybe some other very basic things (like taking a blood pressure) that aren't really needed. Whatever assessments you would do would have to be double checked by the physician anyway. I'm only a first year but had extensive hospital experience and all I ever saw the students do was follow the attending around, ask/answer questions, and take histories. This was from many different universities and the amount of hands on you do varies by attending rather than school. In terms of exams, mostly its 2-3 per week staggered through all our classes. You have so many different classes that the spacing between exams makes sense. We have many exams and then a final in most classes. What helped me was to get a dry erase calendar strictly for exams for the month. It helps to keep everything on track and ensures an exam doesn't sneak up on you. You end up taking so many exams it becomes very commonplace, extremely different than undergrad. Its a lot but everyone before you made it through so you just have to remind yourself that. I have loved every second of my time here so far. Any other questions feel free to post on here/message me. If its something you feel like most people could benefit from knowing put it here though. I try to check in whenever I can because SDN actually helped me a lot during my application cycle.

From my knowledge that's how all rotations are, at least at first. You're a third year medical student...you don't know how to do anything besides take a history/physical and maybe some other very basic things (like taking a blood pressure) that aren't really needed. Whatever assessments you would do would have to be double checked by the physician anyway. I'm only a first year but had extensive hospital experience and all I ever saw the students do was follow the attending around, ask/answer questions, and take histories. This was from many different universities and the amount of hands on you do varies by attending rather than school. In terms of exams, mostly its 2-3 per week staggered through all our classes. You have so many different classes that the spacing between exams makes sense. We have many exams and then a final in most classes. What helped me was to get a dry erase calendar strictly for exams for the month. It helps to keep everything on track and ensures an exam doesn't sneak up on you. You end up taking so many exams it becomes very commonplace, extremely different than undergrad. Its a lot but everyone before you made it through so you just have to remind yourself that. I have loved every second of my time here so far. Any other questions feel free to post on here/message me. If its something you feel like most people could benefit from knowing put it here though. I try to check in whenever I can because SDN actually helped me a lot during my application cycle.

I know you say that there are 2-3 exams per week amongst all the classes, but how often are exams for just one class, say like anatomy or biochem or mirco or something

I know you say that there are 2-3 exams per week amongst all the classes, but how often are exams for just one class, say like anatomy or biochem or mirco or something
It varies. Like right now were in a biochem section where we have one every two weeks. Anatomy were only having three for the whole semester, etc. It's outlined in the syllabus

Does anyone know how long it takes them to review the applications? My portal has been stuck on the "DMU Initial Review of Application Items" for some time now. It says I have 9/10 items and this appears to be the only item missing. I am really interested in this school :) so I am hoping this is normal.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to review the applications? My portal has been stuck on the "DMU Initial Review of Application Items" for some time now. It says I have 9/10 items and this appears to be the only item missing. I am really interested in this school :) so I am hoping this is normal.

I got my II on the 58th day!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine was stuck for a little too long so I emailed them! Got complete the next day

Has anyone who has been accepted had a change in their application status tab on the webpage? The acceptance email said there should be the option to pay the deposit, but I don't see that option...

Current 3rd year here. I'll chime in on the rotations - in my n=1 experience, I've had basically the polar opposite of what you described. Of course on any rotation it's going to depend on where you are and who your attending is. For example, I'm at a teaching hospital and if im on a service without residents, I'm expected to function as the intern. That can mean anything from pre-rounding on every patient on the service before the attending arrives, following up on labs and consults, writing up an A&P and any other loose ends that need o be tied up. On my surgical months, I've first assisted nearly every case.

My biggest piece of advice to you when it gets to the point to be out on rotations your experience will be what you make it. If you show up every day and dgaf then you attending is going to treat you like a shadow and not let you do anything. If you're proactive, study and be prepared for the case then they'll be more comfortable in letting you do more and actually do things to be helpful. When they tell you to look something up, do it, and make sure you talk to them about it. Don't be lazy. Be the first one there. Ask for more to do. If you're sitting around and there's other patients on the service that you haven't seen, ask if you can go do an exam and get a history. Little stuff like that shows a lot of initiative and motivation and will get you a long way with most attendings. At the end of the day having a student slows the service down - all they want in return is a student who is interested and willing to learn what they have to teach.

Reactions: 7 users