2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 09/11 so I probably won't hear back for a little while, but to those of you who interviewed on 09/01 and were accepted, does it show anything on your portal at all as well? :)

Interviewed 9/1. First acceptance of the cycle. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!! I'm going to be a doctor :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Joe!! The rare grocery industry -> medicine route proves successful!

I feel like it made for a great personal statement...went from working with produce to producing great outcomes. I make terrible jokes.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 9/7, got placed on Alternate list today. Should I expect to ever get pulled off the waitlist and get offered a seat?

Accepted too! Interviewed 9/1, im so glad it seems like a lot of 9/1 people are accepted. You guys were cool people :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!

sGPA/cGPA: 3.4. MCAT: 510

Secondary: submitted 6/30, interview 8/18

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday, interviewed 9/8!

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know the admission's email we send our thank you letters to?

Members don't see this ad :)

I found the direct email address of the faculty member online and did it that way. For the provider, who did not have an email address online, I sent an actual letter via snail mail to the Admissions Office.

I found the direct email address of the faculty member online and did it that way. For the provider, who did not have an email address online, I sent an actual letter via snail mail to the Admissions Office.
Thank you for your help! I will do that then :)

They gave my group a piece of paper with interviewers' names and contact info last year. Look through that binder thing they gave you (if they do still give them out) and see if there's anything like that in there. If not, what the poster above mentioned seems logical!

For those that have been accepted yet... have you paid the deposit and submitted the outstanding requirement form? What does your portal look like? Mine said accepted for a day or two but just says my app is completed now. Probably nothing but I just want to make sure I have my seat reserved.

For those that have been accepted yet... have you paid the deposit and submitted the outstanding requirement form? What does your portal look like? Mine said accepted for a day or two but just says my app is completed now. Probably nothing but I just want to make sure I have my seat reserved.

I don't plan on paying the deposit until the deadline... unless I hear back from all the other schools that I applied to before then.

My portal is pretty much nonfunctional. The only thing that changed was the option to add an "Outstanding Requirements Confirmation". No where on my portal does it say accepted or give me the option to pay the deposit. I'm guessing that it is just going to take a while to transfer the portal system over to the accepted version.

My portal is pretty much nonfunctional. The only thing that changed was the option to add an "Outstanding Requirements Confirmation". No where on my portal does it say accepted or give me the option to pay the deposit. I'm guessing that it is just going to take a while to transfer the portal system over to the accepted version.

I contacted them with this issue earlier, and heard that it may take a bit longer than the "two days" sent in the email. No worries! Congratulations on your acceptance :)

Any 9/14 interviewees hear back?

Who is interviewing on the 13th?

Has the DMU Class of 2022 FB group popped up yet?

ACCEPTED!!!! Interview 09/11! Just received the e-mail

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted! Looks like I'm gonna be a doctor! Interviewed 9/14

Reactions: 8 users
Couple Qs for my upcoming interview:

How many other interviewees will/are there?
Whats the interview? MMI, panel, both?
What does the day look like?

Thanks!

Couple Qs for my upcoming interview:

How many other interviewees will/are there?
Whats the interview? MMI, panel, both?
What does the day look like?

Thanks!
About 20 interviewees the day I went. Its a panel interview with 3 to 4 people. Mine had 3 people. It starts with presentations, then lunch, then tours or interviews based on which interview time you get.

Just got an acceptance 15 minutes ago!!! SO EXCITED! Top D.O choice!

Reactions: 4 users
How many interview days have there been? Already feels like Im interviewing for a waitlist...

Has the DMU Class of 2022 FB group popped up yet?

Yes, they sent out an "Everything you need to know to prepare to be a DMU student!" email today with the Facebook link. Check your "promotions" tab, as that is the folder that the email went to for me.

Accepted as well! I interviewed 9/14

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had problems contacting the admissions office? I had everything sent in almost two weeks ago, and everything is marked as received except for DO Program Letter of Recommendation 3, yet it has my three letters marked as received. My application isn't marked complete because of this one thing and I emailed the office last week, but have yet to get an answer, and an initial phone call just lead to machines. Has anyone had any similar situations? This is my top choice school, so im slightly freaking out about waiting like this!

Thank you!

Has anyone had problems contacting the admissions office? I had everything sent in almost two weeks ago, and everything is marked as received except for DO Program Letter of Recommendation 3, yet it has my three letters marked as received. My application isn't marked complete because of this one thing and I emailed the office last week, but have yet to get an answer, and an initial phone call just lead to machines. Has anyone had any similar situations? This is my top choice school, so im slightly freaking out about waiting like this!

Thank you!

You should email them again and attach the original email you sent to them and then try calling again!

Accepted! Interviewed 9/11. So excited as this is my second year applying! Any current/former students able to offer some insight on why they like DMU? Why they don’t? I saw that someone earlier mentioned that Governor Branstad was dean in the past... as an Iowan, that is not a positive in my eyes. :( But I can definitely look past that! Any other info is appreciated!

How many interview days have there been? Already feels like Im interviewing for a waitlist...
They definitely become more selective later in the process (prob around February) but if I remember correctly, I think DMU does reject people post-interview so being on the wait list isn't a bad spot to be.

Interviewed 9/7, got placed on Alternate list today. Should I expect to ever get pulled off the waitlist and get offered a seat?
It varies year to year, but typically there's quite a bit of movement on the wait list. IIRC, you can pretty much guarantee tiers 1 and 2 to get an acceptance. Tier 3 has a decent chance and tier 4 is super iffy. DO schools don't seem to be nearly as consistent as MD schools in wait list movement though so take it with a grain of salt.

Accepted! Interviewed 9/11. So excited as this is my second year applying! Any current/former students able to offer some insight on why they like DMU? Why they don’t? I saw that someone earlier mentioned that Governor Branstad was dean in the past... as an Iowan, that is not a positive in my eyes. :( But I can definitely look past that! Any other info is appreciated!
Honestly everyone here is very outgoing and wants you to succeed. This goes for faculty and fellow students. Everyone shares their study materials via quizlet, organizing reviews, etc. The overall atmosphere is just very laid back and everyone wants you to learn the stuff and it really shows. Faculty is very accessible when you have questions and the curriculum has tons of clinical correlations to what were learning so it helps to reinforce why we're here. Also I've found Des Moines to be a good balance of Midwest city life and still having the ability to relax and study. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me too because I'm a first year

Reactions: 1 users
For those recently admitted has the deposit option appeared on your portal yet? and for the outstanding requirements confirmation are we suppose to do anything for that?

For those recently admitted has the deposit option appeared on your portal yet? and for the outstanding requirements confirmation are we suppose to do anything for that?

I didn’t see anything

I was able to pay to pay the deposit. It was in the outstanding requirements link on the portal near the bottom. I was accepted on 9-15, but it took several days to let me see it.

I was able to pay to pay the deposit. It was in the outstanding requirements link on the portal near the bottom. I was accepted on 9-15, but it took several days to let me see it.

Perfect, thank you it probably will just take a few days I was accepted this Monday.