2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!!!!!! Can't even process

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much no I did not got the email of acceptance at 6 30

Sorry no I did not get the interested email just the acceptance at 6 30

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry no I did not get the interested email just the acceptance at 6 30

My understanding is that they send the “still interested?” email to applicants without a letter of intent. I sent a LOI before my acceptance and didn’t get the “still interested?” email, just the acceptance one!

I contacted admissions a while back and was informed that the alternate list is roughly 150 people. I've only seen 4 acceptances from the 2nd quartile, including myself. I've also heard they may pull people up until the start of classes. I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

Second quartile here and I also got that email asking about continued interest... hoping this bodes well for as many of us as possible in the form of another round of offers.

I contacted admissions a while back and was informed that the alternate list is roughly 150 people. I've only seen 4 acceptances from the 2nd quartile, including myself. I've also heard they may pull people up until the start of classes. I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

What day are classes scheduled to start? I'm in the 3rd quartile and trying to get a better idea of my chances of acceptance this cycle.

What day are classes scheduled to start? I'm in the 3rd quartile and trying to get a better idea of my chances of acceptance this cycle.
Orientation starts July 30th if I'm not mistaken. Last year it was Aug. 1st.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I have a few questions for current students:
1) are there any DMU specific premade anki decks for the M1 classes
2) are there any qbanks provided by the school during year 1 or any other online complementary resources

I have a few questions for current students:
1) are there any DMU specific premade anki decks for the M1 classes
2) are there any qbanks provided by the school during year 1 or any other online complementary resources

People make their own decks and it isn't all that much different than anything else you can find. They give you a combank but that's all we got and I didn't really use anything besides class stuff

People make their own decks and it isn't all that much different than anything else you can find. They give you a combank but that's all we got and I didn't really use anything besides class stuff

Perfect, thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was looking for as a nice supplement to lecture material and zanki cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, I just got off the waitlist at DMU-COM and would really really appreciate a current student or upcoming M1 to contact me as I have so many questions! Thanks

Hey y'all, I just got off the waitlist at DMU-COM and would really really appreciate a current student or upcoming M1 to contact me as I have so many questions! Thanks
Congrats, do you mind sharing if you were in the 2nd or 3rd quartile?

I'm a second year MSBS student there and can answer a lot of your questions. I'm native to the area as well and have a lot of friends incoming or M2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Your big will be reaching out to you by the middle of this month, ideally. If you have particular questions before then, feel free to send me a PM!

Congrats, do you mind sharing if you were in the 2nd or 3rd quartile?
I am in the second and haven’t gotten accepted yet so they are most surely in the seconds quartile as well. Not in the third yet if that is what you were curious about. Hopefully they get there soon!

Orientation is July 31st-Aug 2nd and the first day of class is Aug 3rd.

This list is still moving! Woke up to an offer of admission email this morning, can't wait to be there in three short weeks! Hoping the list keeps going through the second quartile and beyond!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got the admission email this afternoon!!! So excited to join this amazing school!
I was in the second quartile and had almost given up hope! Good luck all!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got my pin the mail that I’m #DMUbound. I can’t wait to get started. I know I’m getting WAY ahead of myself, but I’m really anxious that EM will be too competitive by 2022 as a DO unless you absolutely kill COMLEX/ STEP. I really wanna be in the ER.

Got my pin the mail that I’m #DMUbound. I can’t wait to get started. I know I’m getting WAY ahead of myself, but I’m really anxious that EM will be too competitive by 2022 as a DO unless you absolutely kill COMLEX/ STEP. I really wanna be in the ER.

Well you can take a few deep breaths and chill because that isn’t going to happen. EM isnt currently, never has been, and is never going to be that type of specialty where you have to kill boards to match. The only thing boards matter for in eM is getting you past one part of the screening process. SLOE’s from away rotations, away rotations themselves, and the interview day are by and far the things that matter most and that is not going to change any time soon.

Anyone know if there is a bus route to DMU from Fleur Dr.? Near Gray's Lake?

Or if there is a good back road bike trail to get to DMU from Gray's lake?

Anyone know if there is a bus route to DMU from Fleur Dr.? Near Gray's Lake?

Disclaimer: I've only ever taken the DART to the fair, so this is just based off looking at the route map.

Looks like the 8 bus up fleur to central terminal, then 11/60 out to DMU would be the route.

I doubt there's any sort of back road to DMU for bikes, since the river kind of breaks everything up over there. You would likely have to go down fleur to Grand then over.

Attached is the DART route map if you wanna take a look.

Attachments

• System Map 0418.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
Awesome, thank you so much I really appreciate it!

Hi guys, any useful tools for first year med students? Like Firecracker, Anki? Not sure what's all out there, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated! :)

Friend from undergrad just withdrew from her seat. Refresh your emails!

Hi guys, any useful tools for first year med students? Like Firecracker, Anki? Not sure what's all out there, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated! :)

It all depends on how you learn. If you're into flashcards, then either firecracker or anki would be great (I'd use zanki because it's free and most people I know who used it are doing well on boards). If not into flashcards, you have a bunch of other options. Here are my suggestions for first year, though they might not apply for first semester.

-Netters Anatomy Flashcards (free with AMA membership)
-BRS Physiology (2nd sem)
-Pathoma (2nd sem)
-Sketchy (2nd sem)
-Boards and Beyond

Biochem is taught really well at DMU, so all you need to do to do well is write out all the objectives for each section and blunt memorize those.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for your response, that is all extremely helpful!!!

I just got the acceptance call this morning around 10 am! If anybody has suggestions for apartments please let me know

Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome! Talk about a wild ride, eh? There are also still plenty of rental postings on DMU's classifieds section of Portal, as well as some postings for "roommates/housemates wanted" on the class Facebook page. Get access to those asap and something should work out!

Does anyone think they’ll make it to the third quartile?

Does anyone think they’ll make it to the third quartile?
I honestly do not see that happening. As someone in the 3rd quartile, I had hoped for a lot more movement by now. Their orientation starts next week. I would be surprised if more than one person gets excepted in the next week.

I honestly do not see that happening. As someone in the 3rd quartile, I had hoped for a lot more movement by now. Their orientation starts next week. I would be surprised if more than one person gets excepted in the next week.
Ya kind of figured the same

Received an acceptance call today, but I am choosing Western as I live in CA and would prefer to stay in state. Hope it goes to someone still waiting! :D

Don't wanna give false hope but you never know...we had people literally get called a day or two before orientation last year