2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the Cardiology IV Stethoscope okay or does DMU recommend something different? I know there is a medical supplies sale at the beginning of the year, but I found one for very cheap from a 3rd party.

EDIT: Should I go for the Cardiology IV or Master Cardiology Stethoscope? Online reviews claim that the master cardiology has better acoustics and with only a $15 between the two, that seems like a good deal. Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of having a tunable diaphragm on both the bell and diaphragm sides (Cardiology IV) vs. a single tunable diaphragm (Master Cardiology)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in second quartile and haven't heard from them yet. Hang in there man, out of our hands now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the Cardiology IV Stethoscope okay or does DMU recommend something different? I know there is a medical supplies sale at the beginning of the year, but I found one for very cheap from a 3rd party.

EDIT: Should I go for the Cardiology IV or Master Cardiology Stethoscope? Online reviews claim that the master cardiology has better acoustics and with only a $15 between the two, that seems like a good deal. Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of having a tunable diaphragm on both the bell and diaphragm sides (Cardiology IV) vs. a single tunable diaphragm (Master Cardiology)?

People have both so its honestly preference. Realistically, you aren't going to know what you're hearing until into second year, so it doesn't matter all that much. Sure you may hear sounds better but if you don't know what those sounds are/correspond to than its pretty much useless. Vast majority have the double sides, whether its a cardio 3 or 4

Is anyone planning on - or are any current students - using their state Medicaid for health insurance? Just wondering if anyone would share the approximate cost of that option. Tried to get an estimate cost but they won’t give any information until I apply, which wouldn’t be until after I quit my current job. Hoping it’s a cheaper option so I can opt out of student health insurance.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone planning on - or are any current students - using their state Medicaid for health insurance? Just wondering if anyone would share the approximate cost of that option. Tried to get an estimate cost but they won’t give any information until I apply, which wouldn’t be until after I quit my current job. Hoping it’s a cheaper option so I can opt out of student health insurance.

I am going to the incoming student visit day on Friday and will write that question down so I remember to ask it. I lose my health insurance January 1st, 2019, so I am in the same boat as you.

I am going to the incoming student visit day on Friday and will write that question down so I remember to ask it. I lose my health insurance January 1st, 2019, so I am in the same boat as you.

I used Medicaid for all of 2nd year. It gets difficult 3rd and especially 4th because you move around 4th year and spend time “living” in other states for away rotations so the Medicaid insurance doesn’t meet the requirements.

Anyone know how many questions are usually on the exams?

Feels like the pendulum has swung the other way from last year concerning significant wait list movement. For whatever it's worth, I called admissions a couple weeks ago for an update and they said that the wait list was moving "as expected." Of course, we don't really know what those expectations are...

Feels like the pendulum has swung the other way from last year concerning significant wait list movement. For whatever it's worth, I called admissions a couple weeks ago for an update and they said that the wait list was moving "as expected." Of course, we don't really know what those expectations are...

Completely agree with this! I'm guessing that they would have tried to almost overcompensate for last year's use of the entire waitlist by putting more people on the list than they expect to get through. I wish they indicated what the goal was- like if it's just to get through 1st quartile or more than that.

Completely agree with this! I'm guessing that they would have tried to almost overcompensate for last year's use of the entire waitlist by putting more people on the list than they expect to get through. I wish they indicated what the goal was- like if it's just to get through 1st quartile or more than that.

I agree that that was likely their strategy for this year, so as to avoid a repeat of 2017. As for their goal, it seems kind of overkill to split the list into four groups if only the first group is expected to get in, but perhaps that's just my hopeful second quartile status speaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does DMU have a medical supplies list? I know some schools do for incoming students but I haven't been able to find anything on pulse.

Does DMU have a medical supplies list? I know some schools do for incoming students but I haven't been able to find anything on pulse.
Once you get access to D2L, look at the clinical medicine syllabus; you'll see a list of supplies. For us it was: stethoscope, otoscope/ophthalmoscope, reflex hammer, eye chart, pen light, monofilament, and BP cuff. You can buy all of that stuff through some campus club or you can find things cheaper on eBay/Amazon (which is what I did). You could also keep an eye on the classifieds section of Pulse in case any upperclassmen are selling their stuff.

ACCEPTED!!! I'm so hyped to attend here! I was in the 2nd quartile and got the email today!

Reactions: 8 users
CONGRATS MAN I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope they keep it going!

Reactions: 2 users
Can you get around during the winter without all wheel drive?
Yes. Just don't drive through a crap ton of snow with your vehicle and find routes with the least amount of hills. I've lived in Iowa since the day I entered this world and only got stuck once because I was being dumb. Winter driving takes practice, but once you're used to it it's not the worst thing.

But if you don't feel comfortable driving, DMU works with the DART bus system so you'd always have a way somewhere.

Or just make sure to live within walking distance...I used my car so little that I had to make sure to go start it every week or so to make sure it didn't freeze up.

But agree with above...make sure you just use main roads that arent overly steep and you should be fine. Alternatively, if you have RWD, buy sandbags or something else heavy and put them in the trunk. I did that with my old car and it worked fine

Of the supplies we have to buy, do we use them all in our first year? I would rather hold off on buying some stuff right now if I won't use it until second year.

Of the supplies we have to buy, do we use them all in our first year? I would rather hold off on buying some stuff right now if I won't use it until second year.
We use the vast majority yeah. Even if it’s only for a clin med lab here or there. Buying these supplies is a drop in the bucket in terms of tuition and all that and I went through SOMA and saved a big headache trying to get the right stuff. Don’t get overly fancy with stuff but you do use it first year for OSCEs and stuff and you’re required to have your own.
Just my experience

I don't post on SDN, but I have been following the DMU alternate movement here. So, I figured it was appropriate to let those who are waiting know that I got accepted yesterday at 6pm from 2nd quartile! The movement still seems fairly frequent and consistent!

I used Medicaid for all of 2nd year. It gets difficult 3rd and especially 4th because you move around 4th year and spend time “living” in other states for away rotations so the Medicaid insurance doesn’t meet the requirements.
Would you say it’s significanfly cheaper than the school option? Finding a lot of different costs online - it seems like Medicaid would be about half the cost but I just want to make sure that’s accurate before I go through the hassle of scrambling to signup the week before orientation. Thanks!

Would you say it’s significanfly cheaper than the school option? Finding a lot of different costs online - it seems like Medicaid would be about half the cost but I just want to make sure that’s accurate before I go through the hassle of scrambling to signup the week before orientation. Thanks!

When I had it, I didn’t pay anything. I just applied for it and got it. I never really get sick or have any recurring medical issues so I had it just to say I had coverage to the school. The school plan now costs about 3,000 to 3,500 or so.

Does the school or any student group facilitate discounts for certain apps (complete anatomy, etc) and/or outside resources?

Also Is there a textbook list or what do y’all current students recommend in that regard (buy vs e-copy vs ppt/lecture +/- outside sources)?

Does the school or any student group facilitate discounts for certain apps (complete anatomy, etc) and/or outside resources?

Also Is there a textbook list or what do y’all current students recommend in that regard (buy vs e-copy vs ppt/lecture +/- outside sources)?

The student government has a specified representative that takes care of discounts for various things, mostly board prep related like Sketchy products, Pathoma, Question banks. Nothing app related that I know of but that stuff wasn’t big during my pre-clinical years so maybe that has changed.

Don’t bother with buying textbooks. Very few will be beneficial not to mention you simply won’t have the time. The only books I recommend are First Aid for obvious reasons. And then BRS physiology. The only two books I used significantly. All the others collected dust.

Don’t bother with buying textbooks. Very few will be beneficial not to mention you simply won’t have the time. The only books I recommend are First Aid for obvious reasons. And then BRS physiology. The only two books I used significantly. All the others collected dust.

Were these beneficial during 1st year or primarily 2nd and dedicated?

Were these beneficial during 1st year or primarily 2nd and dedicated?
BRS Phys was first year. I didn’t use FA much first year. FA is great for second year along with all the other stuff I mentioned. Most likely your SGA will get a discount for Sketchy micro and Pathoma during first year

BRS Phys was first year. I didn’t use FA much first year. FA is great for second year along with all the other stuff I mentioned. Most likely your SGA will get a discount for Sketchy micro and Pathoma during first year

You da man. Sorry about your hawks this year.

You da man. Sorry about your hawks this year.
Of course, happy to help. And I was spoiled for a decade. It was about time for things to lose their spark. Only time will tell the directions things are gonna go from here.

I agree with my classmates here that it is entirely possible, however, as someone from up north, I just wanted to note that Des Moines (and Iowa) has probably the worst winter driving conditions I've ever driven in because it doesn't snow as frequently here as it does where I come from. They just don't have the same workforce of plows so it can be a full day (if not more) before the roads are really appropriate for driving on.

Does anybody know a rough estsimate on how many people are in each quartile? I am in the second quartile and I don’t know what to expect regarding my chance of getting in.

I really wish I knew I have heard that it varies year to year regarding how many people are in each quartile...I am in the same boat as you hoping we hear soon

I really wish I knew I have heard that it varies year to year regarding how many people are in each quartile...I am in the same boat as you hoping we hear soon

I was so anxious to know I decided to count how many people from the first quartile posted their acceptance on this thread and I only counted about 6. There were a number who said they were withdrawing but they did not specify if they were admitted or waitlisted let alone which quartile. If we assume around the same amount of people posted about their acceptance in the first and second quartiles I think we are about half way through? This would be a very rough estimate but I was desperate to have some idea! The quartiles seemed smaller than I would have guessed (maybe 15 people?) let me know if anyone has a better guess!

That's kind of what I was thinking about half way through hope they start sending more out soon!

To any current students: what would you do with 10 days or so before the start of orientation? I am moving up in just under a month and I am not familiar with the area at all.

To any current students: what would you do with 10 days or so before the start of orientation? I am moving up in just under a month and I am not familiar with the area at all.

I would just take some time to learn about the area and especially which way you'll drive in to campus if you will be driving. It's sometimes helpful to have a backup route since construction is somewhat commonplace around Grand and Ingersoll.

Other than that, just figure out what kind of things you'd like to do around DSM in your free time. Check out Raccoon River and some of the other places if you like to bike, run, etc. Make sure you get things settled in your house/apt or whatever so that you don't have to worry about them during school.

If you're a real go-getter, you can stock up on pens/pencils/highlighters, get Anki downloaded and familiar with it, or just generally gather stuff to be ready to study.

Your big will be getting in contact with you sometime in the next month or so, and you can ask them any specific questions or maybe they'll have other little pearls for you. I would say the main thing is to just get familiar with the area, find out what places you may like to eat/drink/work out, whatever.

I would just take some time to learn about the area and especially which way you'll drive in to campus if you will be driving. It's sometimes helpful to have a backup route since construction is somewhat commonplace around Grand and Ingersoll.

Other than that, just figure out what kind of things you'd like to do around DSM in your free time. Check out Raccoon River and some of the other places if you like to bike, run, etc. Make sure you get things settled in your house/apt or whatever so that you don't have to worry about them during school.

If you're a real go-getter, you can stock up on pens/pencils/highlighters, get Anki downloaded and familiar with it, or just generally gather stuff to be ready to study.

Your big will be getting in contact with you sometime in the next month or so, and you can ask them any specific questions or maybe they'll have other little pearls for you. I would say the main thing is to just get familiar with the area, find out what places you may like to eat/drink/work out, whatever.
I will try to be familiar with at least the area immediately surrounding the school! I am just across the street, so I won't have to worry about driving. I forgot about the big/little thing DMU does. I am looking forward to hearing from my big!

You go to Eatery A, Zombie Burger, Exile, Jethro's, Sakari, Annie's, Outlaws and Up/Down because then you move for 3rd year (maybe, probably?) and it's all gone :(

I miss Des Moines every day, and I had never even been to the state of Iowa until the day I interviewed at DMU. It becomes home pretty quick, and it's a great city to live in. Soak it up guys, s*it gets real and it goes by fast!

You go to Eatery A, Zombie Burger, Exile, Jethro's, Sakari, Annie's, Outlaws and Up/Down because then you move for 3rd year (maybe, probably?) and it's all gone :(

I miss Des Moines every day, and I had never even been to the state of Iowa until the day I interviewed at DMU. It becomes home pretty quick, and it's a great city to live in. Soak it up guys, s*it gets real and it goes by fast!
I've been scoping out all the restaurants, working my way out from my apartment just across the street from campus. Eatery A is going to be first on my list! The cheese bar sounds pretty awesome, too.

I've been scoping out all the restaurants, working my way out from my apartment just across the street from campus. Eatery A is going to be first on my list! The cheese bar sounds pretty awesome, too.

Don't forget Gateway Market, Palmer's and Fong's.

Does anybody know if there was still wait list movement at this time in years past? When does is usually slow down/ stop?

Does anybody know if there was still wait list movement at this time in years past? When does is usually slow down/ stop?

Last year they pulled people off the WL through July. It seems like they have been going through it more slowly this year. Maybe they accepted more people initially so they wouldn’t have that issue.

Has anyone else gotten a message asking if they were still interested today? I got one at 2:30 and I know in years past that is a sign you may be accepted soon!

Yeah, I got the same email at the same time. Hopefully it turns into good news!