2017-2018 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many WL students showed up for Second Look ? Didn't get a Second Look invite, so wondering if I still have a chance ? Also, any recent WL movement ? Thanks
From past years' threads, some people who didn't go to Second Look were still accepted off of the WL. Deposits were only due yesterday, so movement will probably be happening in the next few weeks. I know it's hard, but just be patient! No one can tell you what to expect until that phone call either comes or doesn't come. Obsessing over it is only going to make you more anxious.

Members don't see this ad.

From past years' threads, some people who didn't go to Second Look were still accepted off of the WL. Deposits were only due yesterday, so movement will probably be happening in the next few weeks. I know it's hard, but just be patient! No one can tell you what to expect until that phone call either comes or doesn't come. Obsessing over it is only going to make you more anxious.
Thank you, good advice at the right time, but.... easier said than done ....:doctor::doctor:

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST THIS MORNING!!!!!! Got a phone call, So stoked! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back:soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting is agony... I’m starting a masters soon and I’m planning on dropping out if I get an acceptance from here off the waitlist. Would really prefer not to take the financial hit lol

ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST THIS MORNING!!!!!! Got a phone call, So stoked! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back:soexcited:
CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Did you go for the Second Look ? Also, are you IS or OOS ? Thanks for sharing !

CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Did you go for the Second Look ? Also, are you IS or OOS ? Thanks for sharing !
Ignore that. Just saw your earlier post... OOS and did attend Second Look !

Did you get to know how many WL students came to Second Look ?

According to last year's thread, there were ~25 WL students at Welcome Back. Also relevant is the fact that there were 40 students who were accepted off the WL last year for the class of 2021.

According to last year's thread, there were ~25 WL students at Welcome Back. Also relevant is the fact that there were 40 students who were accepted off the WL last year for the class of 2021.
That is quite reassuring ! Thank you for bringing out these stats ! Good luck to ALL of us who are on the WL and eagerly looking for "that" call !

Dang, 40? That seems like a lot considering there are only 64 people in the whole class and some of them are linkage students.

My MSAR expired, but that was the number reported for the most recent class. The total amount of WL acceptances offered could even be higher than 40, as that may be the number of matriculants who were waitlisted originally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any WL movement today ?

Any waitlist movement today?

An adcom on the Waitlist Support Group thread commented that there was some movement at FAU today.

Holy Moly was there ever a lot of waitlist activity since Friday!
To start, there was a boatload at Vandy, UCSF, Davis, Morehouse and Irvine.
There was also movement at NW, Hofstra, MI St., MN, Wayne, FAU, Columbia, NYU, UCR, GW, SUNY Brooklyn, Temple, UCLA, VCU, Rutgers, Hawaii, Penn St. and Northstate.

Got accepted off the waitlist today! :hardy:

Reactions: 4 users
Did you get an email asking you to confirm your spot on the waitlist again before getting accepted?
yes, I responded to the email saying I was interested and within an hour or two I got the call.

yes, I responded to the email saying I was interested and within an hour or two I got the call.

Gah, I got that email yesterday too but no call so I’ve been driving myself crazy... congratulations though!! I should’ve lead with that

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if theyve taken any OOS males off the waitlist yet? I'm waiting on multiple waitlists rn and it's driving me nuts lol

Got off the waitlist today! They called again asking if I wanted to stay on the waitlist and when I said yes they told me I was actually accepted lol

Now the tough choice, FAU vs. FIU.....

Got off the waitlist today! They called again asking if I wanted to stay on the waitlist and when I said yes they told me I was actually accepted lol

Congrats! Are you in state or out of state?

Lmao is that even a question? FAU dude.... #thefaU

Can you guys elaborate a bit more on what you think the pros and cons are?

Lmao is that even a question? FAU dude.... #thefaU

Fau is one of the top upcoming schools
What makes FAU more up and coming than FIU?

FWIW I was faced with the same decision and chose FAU. But it's important to remember that everyone has their own preferences and values which will influence their decision. You can't go wrong with either. Congratulations!!!

Genuinely curious

Congrats! As much as I would love to take your seat ;) ...I vote FAU. From everything I've heard about the two programs, FAU seems superior.

Can you guys elaborate a bit more on what you think the pros and cons are?

What makes FAU more up and coming than FIU?

Genuinely curious
I was faced with choosing between FAU, FIU, and USF. I ultimately ended up selecting FAU because of its curriculum, small class size, and residency match. Their residency match is amazing! Also, during my interview, the kids at FIU seemed absolutely miserable.

I was faced with choosing between FAU, FIU, and USF. I ultimately ended up selecting FAU because of its curriculum, small class size, and residency match. Their residency match is amazing! Also, during my interview, the kids at FIU seemed absolutely miserable.
A lot of people have said this but I’m confused, What was so amazing about their residency match? Their first derm match was recently and I think I only saw one or two ortho matches this year. For example, FIU has multiples of the competitive specialties all over the country

A lot of people have said this but I’m confused, What was so amazing about their residency match? Their first derm match was recently and I think I only saw one or two ortho matches this year. For example, FIU has multiples of the competitive specialties all over the country

FAU's residency match is much more impressive than that of FIU's considering the newness of FAU as a medical school. FAU has matched their students in derm, ortho, and neuro. Some have matched Harvard and the UCs, as well as other competitive institutions. I truly think FAU is climbing in the ranks. ALSO! Apparently FAU doesn't have classes on Friday and their class day ends at 12:00 pm

FAU's residency match is much more impressive than that of FIU's considering the newness of FAU as a medical school. FAU has matched their students in derm, ortho, and neuro. Some have matched Harvard and the UCs, as well as other competitive institutions. I truly think FAU is climbing in the ranks. ALSO! Apparently FAU doesn't have classes on Friday and their class day ends at 12:00 pm

Talked to multiple students at FAU on my interview day who said they have class/other mandatory stuff until 4-5pm most days of the week. Many claimed they didn't have much time outside of class/other mandatory stuff to do other things. One student said they have one protected day a week where class ends at 12. There is a large difference between "ending class at 12 with no other mandatory obligations" and "ending class at 12 but having lab/PBL until 5". I made a point to ask multiple people about this as it was one of my biggest things when deciding between schools. Their match list is definitely impressive for being a new school, but they definitely don't end classes at 12 on most days.

I was deciding between FAU/FIU/other FL schools (ended up going somewhere else altogether so I'm not really biased in that sense) so if anyone wants to hear my take feel free to message me! (Not saying my opinion matters much but it's always good to bounce ideas off others who had the same decision to make!)

Student here with 2 quick things
1.) we are generally pretty happy which I think is important and actually like each other
2.) you have 2-3 afternoons a week for independent study time. So no, there isn’t mandatory stuff to 4-5 every day. And we don’t have things after 12 on Friday.
Let me know if there are any questions! Not here to sway, but just wanted to make sure you got the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I have some updates that are relevant to my candidacy, but I exhausted my 3 online portal updates already, and sent a strong letter of interest like a month and a half ago... How do you guys think I should go about this (if at all)?

Do they send that email asking if you want to remain on the waitlist to everyone? Or just those that they are still considering?

Do they send that email asking if you want to remain on the waitlist to everyone? Or just those that they are still considering?

Reading the posts above it looks like 3 posters received a similar email exactly a week from today. 2 of them were accepted within the following 48 hours.

They messed with me sooo much before offering me an acceptance, I mean 2 calls and one email all saying "do you want to accept our waitlist position?"
me all 4 times, "Yes"
then finally "okay, you're accepted."

Reactions: 3 users
They messed with me sooo much before offering me an acceptance, I mean 2 calls and one email all saying "do you want to accept our waitlist position?"
me all 4 times, "Yes"
then finally "okay, you're accepted."

Gahhh I would have had a heart attack lol but it paid off!! Congrats!!

Got the email today too!!! No idea how to process it lol

Excited to still be under consideration

Just withdrew so hopefully someone on here gets good news today!

Reactions: 4 users
So....is there anyone on the waitlist who hasn't received the "are you still interested in being considered for admission" email? Or, is there anyone who received it and hasn't been accepted yet? Trying to gauge if it actually means anything.

Reactions: 3 users
So....is there anyone on the waitlist who hasn't received the "are you still interested in being considered for admission" email? Or, is there anyone who received it and hasn't been accepted yet? Trying to gauge if it actually means anything.
I received it this past Thursday but have not gotten an acceptance, I'm also trying to gauge if it means anything bc my masters in Baltimore is starting real soon and I don't wanna have to drop out and lose all the rent money

I received it this past Thursday but have not gotten an acceptance, I'm also trying to gauge if it means anything bc my masters in Baltimore is starting real soon and I don't wanna have to drop out and lose all the rent money
Same, holding off on signing a lease for a place near the school I'm currently planning on attending but I can only hold off for so long..

Also, my SO is planning on moving with me if I have to move states so it would be really nice if I could give him a definite answer by now so he could figure out his situation too.

Has everyone on the waitlist gotten an FAU net ID on their medical admission portal (click on your name in the top right)?

I have come to the conclusion that sending us that email was a way to screw with us. Or, maybe they're trying to see if we can handle anxiety well. I hope they approve of my Netflix and popcorn binges....

*only slightly joking