2018-2019 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students:

When does FAU distribute scholarship information?
Also, if known, what scholarships are available?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think 10 seats are reserved for the pipeline programs, so you may have an initial 54 seats. And I would guess that the initial acceptances might have some top tier offers and greater than 50% may leave. With such a small number of seats statistics is going to be tough to rely on.

Monica mentioned on my interview day that they actually can accept up to 70 students if need be, which could affect these numbers more. She added that they're cautious to hand out acceptances immediately post Interview because of yield, and that a majority of the class ends up coming off the waitlist in early May.

Monica mentioned on my interview day that they actually can accept up to 70 students if need be, which could affect these numbers more. She added that they're cautious to hand out acceptances immediately post Interview because of yield, and that a majority of the class ends up coming off the waitlist in early May.
She said the same to me. Also, I am friends with an MS4 and he had an identical experience with a Jan WL and an early May acceptance. So it is common to play out as mentioned above. It just sucks being on the WL...

Members don't see this ad :)
According to MSAR there were 40 people accepted off the waitlist last year.

The admissions department just added 4-6 more interview dates spanning into mid-march.

Reactions: 2 users
FAU Medical Admissions Portal
Current Status: Interview Report Completed

I’ve never wanted anything more in my whole life than to get accepted here!!! Pleaaaaaseeeeeeee

I noticed that the institutional scholarship is also for wait listed applicants. However, as a wait listed applicants, they have not informed me about this scholarship, I just found it online. Should I email Monica and ask her IF I should apply? Does anyone have information on this?

I noticed that the institutional scholarship is also for wait listed applicants. However, as a wait listed applicants, they have not informed me about this scholarship, I just found it online. Should I email Monica and ask her IF I should apply? Does anyone have information on this?

My partner is waitlisted for the school and I asked Mark, from financial aid, if she could apply for the scholarships.
Mark ultimately told my partner to apply, but I would reach out to him and ask. ([email protected]).

Also, I think the office of admissions is really busy. They have had a fairly delayed response time recently, where as mark typically responds in a day or so.

I just wish I knew how much potential scholarship is available :p

Reactions: 1 users
My partner is waitlisted for the school and I asked Mark, from financial aid, if she could apply for the scholarships.
Mark ultimately told my partner to apply, but I would reach out to him and ask. ([email protected]).

Also, I think the office of admissions is really busy. They have had a fairly delayed response time recently, where as mark typically responds in a day or so.

I just wish I knew how much potential scholarship is available :p
Thank you, definitely will email him.

I remember them saying at the interview that they are planning on accepting more OOS people (25% of the class as opposed to 12.5%). It seems like there are a lot more OOS being interviewed. At mine all but 2 people were OOS. Anyone else have this abnormally high OOS ratio at their interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if my status is still at secondary application completed and i submitted in august should i be concerned bc i am feeling a bit concerned

“Admissions Committee Review Complete” now all I can do is obsessively wait for a phone call

Just got an email saying Monica’s behind on decisions today, just in case anyone else was stressing like me

Reactions: 3 users
Was the interview open file? I am confused as to what to expect. I know there are two interviewers and one is "exploratory" and one is for behavioral questions but I don't want to be caught too off guard haha
Sorry for the late response. Closed-file and so chill. Enjoy!

I remember them saying at the interview that they are planning on accepting more OOS people (25% of the class as opposed to 12.5%). It seems like there are a lot more OOS being interviewed. At mine all but 2 people were OOS. Anyone else have this abnormally high OOS ratio at their interview?
I don’t remember but yes I think you are right. FAU is trying to also have more OOS. With that said, I’m IS and I believe so was at least one other person in my group. I was in the mid January interview group.

Waitlisted via portal. I’ll take that as a victory.
Our son was just waitlisted today at FAU. Anyone also on that list forAug 2019? Anything you can tell us about that?

Our son was just waitlisted today at FAU. Anyone also on that list forAug 2019? Anything you can tell us about that?
Due to the small class size, Monica said she sends more people to the waitlist than most schools. Acceptances/second looks will occur over the next few months as students withdraw their acceptances from FAU in favor of other schools. A big surge of this will happen at the end of April, so lots of movement should be expected in May/June. I have read that FAU brings about 30 people off of the waitlist for their class, which is almost 50% of the class so I'm definitely holding on to hope. Good luck to your son!

Are you on the waitlist?

Well it looks like you are and good luck to you!

Do you live in South Florida?

Our son the same. He checked the portal this morning and found he is now wait listed. I just joined this forum this morning. I appreciate you all accepting my post and replies. My wife and I are as anxious as our son,I think!

Did anyone else look through the post history and find everyone was rejected/ waitlisted? I found 3 people accepted 2 URM with high stats and 1 pipeline.

Blanky. What does MS4 mean and can you, knowing as much as you do, tell me how you view or know about the current wait-list? You really looking top of that! What is your status now?

My status hasn't updated yet. I guess it's likely that I'm out of the running. :(

Blanky. What does MS4 mean and can you, knowing as much as you do, tell me how you view or know about the current wait-list? You really looking top of that! What is your status now?
MS4 is Medstudent year 4.
I don’t know a lot and am in the same spot as everyone else. I don’t think there will be much movement until late April and early May.

My status hasn't updated yet. I guess it's likely that I'm out of the running. :(
This happened to me and Monica said that she wanted to call me before she updated my portal!

MS4 is Medstudent year 4.
I don’t know a lot and am in the same spot as everyone else. I don’t think there will be much movement until late April and early May.
Thank you! As our son saw online he is as of today an alternate. I believe we are in for a small wait until he knows further. Good luck to you and thank you for your reply. I will be watching for any further updates. We hope he has a good chance.

I apologize for asking what seems to be a basic question (I am a parent) but what is OOS?

Just got the call! Literally have tears of joy
Congratulations!!!! I am thinking your tears are of joy!! May I ask, if it is O.K., what your GPA/MCAT was? Did you have research or other special activities that you fell helped? Are you local? If you feel O.K. about providing that. Helps with parental anxiety :)

Thanks! After I asked I realized Google could know, it did.....

Congratulations!!!! I am thinking your tears are of joy!! May I ask, if it is O.K., what your GPA/MCAT was? Did you have research or other special activities that you fell helped? Are you local? If you feel O.K. about providing that. Helps with parental anxiety :)
Yes it was definitely tears of joy! And yes I’ll pm - private message you now

Accepted yesterday by phone call!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted yesterday by phone call!
Was this from the W/L? Could I ask if IS or OOS? MCAT/GPA? Any info would be helpful. I think I am the only parent shadowing this forum. Our Son was just put on the W/L a few days ago.

Was this from the W/L? Could I ask if IS or OOS? MCAT/GPA? Any info would be helpful. I think I am the only parent shadowing this forum. Our Son was just put on the W/L a few days ago.
I'm OOS and not from WL. For the purpose of anonymity, please PM me for stats. I would be happy to help.

For FAU. Can anyone advise as to a what a strong LOI should contain? What would be good guidelines on length and content? Beyond saying “ if accepted I fully commit to enrollment “
Thank you!
Also what’s the latest with you W/L’s? Any movement from there this week?