2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I caved and did.. Wendy’s not in, poo

What were you going to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder how many are duplicates?

I thought so too but I didn't actually look lol i googled the possibility of getting into mayo at all instead (1.8% can't remember the source) then, given this squared it and found that the chance of getting accepted to both is 0.034 percent. this again is back of the napkin math and i really shouldn't be more neurotic than this

What were you going to ask?

If all the calls had been made lol and if they had been I would’ve started crying to gain pity

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If all the calls had been made lol and if they had been I would’ve started crying to gain pity

I like your style.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought so too but I didn't actually look lol i googled the possibility of getting into mayo at all instead (1.8% can't remember the source) then, given this squared it and found that the chance of getting accepted to both is 0.034 percent. this again is back of the napkin math and i really shouldn't be more neurotic than this

Eh. That's assuming totally random probablity which def isn' t case.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh. That's assuming totally random probablity which def isn' t case.
true story! the real probability has so many variables that it is probably impossible to quantify until many years of classes go through Mayo MN and AZ

My interviewer actually wrote in email that I should expect, verbatim, “good news”. At the time I thought it was a bit inappropriate but now it seems really messed up to tease someone like that.

Reactions: 7 users
Have there been any calls today? I feel like yesterday around this time we had a steady influx of calls

My interviewer actually wrote in email that I should expect, verbatim, “good news”. At the time I thought it was a bit inappropriate but now it seems really messed up to tease someone like that.
I am glad you said this! I also got an email with that language from my interviewer and have heard nothing. Feeling not good.

I am glad you said this! I also got an email with that language from my interviewer and have heard nothing. Feeling not good.
Would you mind saying who your interviewer was? Or PMing me? I'm curious if my interviewer sent these out or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Wendy. She didn't pick up. Can someone please take up the torch tomorrow and call her to ask if all acceptances have already been given out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone ever get a personalized likely letter from Dr. Fischer?

Honestly that is really very messed up. They're playing a sick game if they just handed these out like that

Anyone ever get a personalized likely letter from Dr. Fischer?
nope! I'm not sure if we're gonna get anything from Dr. Fischer including a phone call lol

Honestly that is really very messed up. They're playing a sick game if they just handed these out like that

I don't think anyone is being intentionally cruel. This is all just a huge machine with lots of good people as the moving parts, and tiny, well-intentioned actions can have unintended consequences. Everyone at Mayo is almost certainly trying to do their best to keep this running smoothly and kindly. That's what I love about Mayo.

Honestly this whole fiasco has lowered my respect for Mayo. Applicants should be treated with respect. Don’t tell them they’re highly ranked. Don’t spread out your calls over an unspecified number of days. I’m going to call this a rejection of waitlist (which as may well be a rejection since I don’t intend to accept a waitlist offer).

Reactions: 6 users
I agree to some extent with both @scienceguy95 and @MayoHopeful2018... yes, they try to make things personal by calling us individually, but this waiting game (esp. with the highly ranked letter & two personalized letters from my interviewers) makes this rejection/waitlist all the more painful. I wish at the least that they emailed waitlist/rejection people today and then made the calls for acceptances at the same time

I agree to some extent with both @scienceguy95 and @MayoHopeful2018... yes, they try to make things personal by calling us individually, but this waiting game (esp. with the highly ranked letter & two personalized letters from my interviewers) makes this rejection/waitlist all the more painful. I wish at the least that they emailed waitlist/rejection people today and then made the calls for acceptances at the same time
Their process is atrocious. At first I didn’t like the radio silence from the other non rolling schools I am expecting to hear from in March, but now I see it’s more respectful toward the applicants. They let everyone know the decision simultaneously through the portal. No fishing for letters and ambiguous interest statements. Makes a rejection much less personal.

I am probably coming off as bitter, but honestly I don’t care anymore. We deserved better.

So like one person was accepted today...?

I think SDN is really underrepresented... it seems a lot of the people who were accepted have never posted on this thread, or weren't even SDN members until they got the call.

So like one person was accepted today...?

It’s just now 5:30 at Mayo. I’d give it another 2-3 hours before switching from beer and despair, to whiskey tears.

Reactions: 4 users
If you look at last year’s thread, there were around 13 reported acceptances before non accepted decisions started rolling in. We are about there already, so I think the class is filled. It’s kind of sad that we have all been waiting for Dr. Fischer to call when he probably won’t be making calls this year.

But technically acceptances could last three days even if they only went for two last year

Try to stay positive. I understand that it's difficult waiting for decisions, but negativity and pessimism are ultimately self-defeating. Keep your heads up and remember that the value you place on yourself should not depend on a phone call or acceptance to Mayo.

Reactions: 5 users
In a telling twist of fate, my Mayo pen broke today :(

Reactions: 12 users
I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.

Nothing beats a rejection from mayo and being single on Valentine’s Day all at the same time...

Reactions: 14 users
I don't know about you guys but I'll be glued to my phone until I hear otherwise. I know this waiting is hard and especially so when you see in real time people getting in; however, from their perspective, they may not go on to SDN and look for multiple reasons. We come here freely and do most of this to ourselves, unfortunately. We need to sit tight and wait patiently. I know this absolutely sucks and is endlessly demotivating but hold on a little longer guys. also, I have run out of good dog pictures to share so I'll have to take more when I get home. therapy puppies will be incoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Long-time lurker. I interviewed here in October, did not receive a single likely letter (generic or personal). I also felt terrible about the interview so I'm not surprised at all that I didn't receive a call yet. I'm sure there are plenty of interviewees like me who are not active on SDN.

At least many of you have received likely letters, generic or otherwise. You are more likely to receive waitlist decisions for a second chance. I hope that makes you all feel somewhat better. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Long-time lurker. I interviewed here in October, did not receive a single likely letter (generic or personal). I also felt terrible about the interview so I'm not surprised at all that I didn't receive a call yet. I'm sure there are plenty of interviewees like me who are not active on SDN.

At least many of you have received likely letters, generic or otherwise. You are more likely to receive waitlist decisions for a second chance. I hope that makes you all feel somewhat better. Best of luck to everyone!
thanks it makes me feel a little better. everyone is welcome on this thread if you anonymous people want to post go ahead and do so. its not like any of us will judge you or you'll be found out for being on here.

Thanks for sharing. In a way though you have gone through less anxiety without the dumb pretense of these highly ranked emails. Not getting accepted after all the post interview build up and teasing is a hard blow. Hell, I wasn’t even sure Mayo was my top choice yet. But it still stings.

Thanks for sharing. In a way though you have gone through less anxiety without the dumb pretense of these highly ranked emails. Not getting accepted after all the post interview build up and teasing is a hard blow. Hell, I wasn’t even sure Mayo was my top choice yet. But it still stings.

This.

Not gonna lie, I felt like I crushed the interview. Not like I would get in or anything, but out of all my interviews, I felt Mayo was my best one. Still didn’t really expect much given how small the class is, and then that “highly ranked” email gave me real hope. The crash is real.

Yeah, the boost in confidence from the highly ranked letter ultimately led to a much higher fall and crushing sense of defeat. Though I haven’t given up, I have all but accepted not getting in at this point. Which really sucks, cause I don’t have a plan B.

Concur, I don't like this process. I still like Mayo though, I feel it would be a school that would be open to hearing opinions and changing their interview process next year
Yeah, the boost in confidence from the highly ranked letter ultimately led to a much higher fall and crushing sense of defeat. Though I haven’t given up, I have all but accepted not getting in at this point. Which really sucks, cause I don’t have a plan B.

If it's any comfort. I think I heard 99% of Mayo interviewees get in somewhere. Statisically I say you will definitley have a back up, if its any comfort.

+1

Concur, I don't like this process. I still like Mayo though, I feel it would be a school that would be open to hearing opinions and changing their interview process next year

If it's any comfort. I think I heard 99% of Mayo interviewees get in somewhere. Statisically I say you will definitley have a back up, if its any comfort.

Except that I don’t. At least not this year.

Both my interviews were absolute trainwrecks, so I felt like crap for a long time but then later on I got the personal and generic highly ranked.