2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except that I don’t. At least not this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep me neither.

Are you waiting on decisions from other nonrolling schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really, I got one that I’ve been waitlisted at, but I really don’t want to actually go there.

Yeah all my decisions are non rolling or might as well be counted as it, but I’d like to be in the same state as my wife as she will be going to grad school in MN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, I legit hate that. You both deserve a ton of options. It really bothers me.

Reactions: 1 users
Lurker here- First-time poster, Just got the call!!!! Accepted so excited.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m holding out till 9 EST. Not sure why, but I am.

Long time lurker here. I hope it's ok to post this, but I'm pretty sure we hung out at our interview (wandering around the museum ring any bells?). I haven't gotten a call either, and I just wanted to let you know that you're wonderful and I'm pulling for you. I really hope we both get in, some way some how!

Reactions: 6 users
Well I've heard that Dr. Fischer actually called several people this afternoon already, so I think my chances are personally over. I wish everyone else the best of luck. I'm not going to pretend this whole situation didn't leave me a bit bitter, but I recognize I'm in a better position than many and have a lot to be thankful for. Mayo is a great school but it's not the only one. Sorry if my negativity got anyone else down.

Reactions: 10 users
Long time lurker here. I hope it's ok to post this, but I'm pretty sure we hung out at our interview (wandering around the museum ring any bells?). I haven't gotten a call either, and I just wanted to let you know that you're wonderful and I'm pulling for you. I really hope we both get in, some way some how!

I do remember. I’m really surprised that you didn’t get a call either. I hope things are going ok for you otherwise. I’m still hoping for the waitlist, and if nothing else, I’ll try again next year. Didn’t you already get in elsewhere?

Has anyone heard from someone that wasn’t their interviewer..?

I do remember. I’m really surprised that you didn’t get a call either. I hope things are going ok for you otherwise. I’m still hoping for the waitlist, and if nothing else, I’ll try again next year. Didn’t you already get in elsewhere?

I'm surprised you didn't get a call either, I remember you were a total badass. Things are going ok for me, thanks! I'm lucky enough to have some other options, but feeling super bummed about Mayo.

Mayo MN Final Acceptance List

Monday 2/12/18
Username
(Likely Letter) Interviewed [LOI] 2+2
1. @roll_fizzlebeef (Personalized) December [Interest] No
2. @hopeful314 (Personalized) October [Intent] No
3. @anaminmasar (Personalized) December [?] No
4. @twentyeightmiles (INTENSELY) October [Interest] No
5. @IShallGetIn (Generic) November [Interest] No
6. @MarineMDHopeful (Personalized) November [Intent] No
7. @123skate (?) ? [?] No
8. @ariri (?) ? [?] No
9. @Almedstudent (Generic) November [Intent] Yes
10. @Ruth L. Kirschstein (Generic + personalized highly ranked email from faculty interviewer) ? [Intent] No

Tuesday 2/13/18

Username (Likely Letter) Interviewed [LOI] 2+2
11. @Sir Alanna Trebond (INTENSELY) ? [Interest] No
12. @mdwannabepleaseacceptme
13. @Dr. Jason Taylor
14. @sliversoshiver (ALL LETTERS)
15. @sophop (Personalized + Generic)
16. @Groggs

That's All, Folks! Congratulations to the lucky few. Meanwhile, I'm going to curl up in a corner and cry my eyes out. Sending all of you (both the rejoicing and the mourning) a great big hug!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Mayo MN Final Acceptance List

Monday 2/12/18
Username
(Likely Letter) Interviewed [LOI] 2+2
1. @roll_fizzlebeef (Personalized) ? [?] No
2. @hopeful314 (Personalized) October [Intent] No
3. @anaminmasar (Personalized) December [?] No
4. @twentyeightmiles (INTENSELY) October [Interest] No
5. @IShallGetIn (Generic) November [Interest] No
6. @MarineMDHopeful (Personalized) November [Intent] No
7. @123skate (?) ? [?] No
8. @ariri (?) ? [?] No
9. @Almedstudent (Generic) November [Intent] Yes

Tuesday 2/13/18

Username (Likely Letter) Interviewed [LOI] 2+2
10. @Sir Alanna Trebond (INTENSELY) ? [Interest] No
11. @mdwannabepleaseacceptme ???
12. @Dr. Jason Taylor ???

That's All, Folks! Congratulations to the lucky few. Meanwhile, I'm going to curl up in a corner and cry my eyes out. You are all welcome to join.

I’ve already claimed this corner with my bottle of red wine, and am feeling a bit antisocial at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Anddd it has passed 9:00 EST. Congrats to all who made it! I had an acceptance come in today so it has eased this pain slightly.

I will say that the new 2+2 program starting this year may have thrown a wrench into the situation and made it a bit more messy than last year. Maybe there is a little more love to give for everyone still in the running for the 4 year programs. For me, I think my application was more aptly suited for the 2+2 track, so I think all hope is lost at this point on my end, despite receiving highly ranked esoteric e-mails from the Florida people.

It has been real ya'll!

EDIT: has passed*

Anddd it is passed 9:00 EST. Congrats to all who made it! I had an acceptance come in today so it has eased this pain slightly.

I will say that the new 2+2 program starting this year may have thrown a wrench into the situation and made it a bit more messy than last year. Maybe there is a little more love to give for everyone still in the running for the 4 year programs. For me, I think my application was more aptly suited for the 2+2 track, so I think all hope is lost at this point on my end, despite receiving highly ranked esoteric e-mails from the Florida people.

It has been real ya'll!
God this school with their highly ranked nonsense is much more brutal than I thought

Overly-pissed Mayo AZ applicant w/ a likely letter & no acceptance chiming in: Have any of those accepted by phone call at Mayo MN received any useful info from their caller regarding how calls are going out? Eg. Alphabetical, by letter of intent/interest, simply physician availability, etc.

God this school with their highly ranked nonsense is much more brutal than I thought

Yeah I would honestly be really confused if I received a highly ranked/interested letter from the MN/FL track but not get love from either of them lol. But that seems to be the road I am heading down..

It was an honor suffering with the rest of you. honestly, crushed is how I would mildly describe this. I’ll be back if I hear anything for the waitlist other than that I’ll be doing things that don’t make me feel like complete garbage like this lol. Those who were accepted congratulations, you are all probably excellent people and the position is well deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
"As we made clear on interview day, we seek to waitlist individuals who count Mayo high — preferably first — among the many outstanding options they typically have."

Reactions: 11 users
Yeah I would honestly be really confused if I received a highly ranked/interested letter from the MN/FL track but not get love from either of them lol. But that seems to be the road I am heading down..

You and me both.
2+2 personalized Highly Ranked letter.
Ah well. :)
Congrats to all who made it.

long time lurker, wanted to let those know keeping stats, I was accepted earlier today!

oh also, I got all the letters described.

Alright humans. I’ve had my cry in the shower with a bottle of Pinot (noir of course). I’m signing off unless I get an acceptance off the alternate list (assuming I’m on the alternate list). Time to re-cock and fill the gaps for next cycle. For those of you who got in, I’m so happy for you. I can honestly say that as far as I know you, every single one of you deserves it. Best of luck to you. You worked hard and it paid off. To the rest, look up, find your next target, and go for it.

Reactions: 7 users
Also signing off this thread to repair my damaged sense of self-worth lol. Congratulations to everyone accepted outright. Looks like Mayo is not in the cards for medical school, but there is always residency and fellowship.

I mean last year weren’t there acceptances at az on Wednesday it’s not over yet!!

I mean last year weren’t there acceptances at az on Wednesday it’s not over yet!!
None reported sadly, no. Wednesday was silence and Thursday is when the rejections started. Waitlist notifications likely next week. Sorry buddy.

None reported sadly, no. Wednesday was silence and Thursday is when the rejections started. Waitlist notifications likely next week. Sorry buddy.
Ohhhh no I’m 100% sure it’s over for ME I just want to hold hope for you wonderful people :(

Congrats to everyone accepted! Any 2+2 people get just MN acceptances? I applied 2+2, got the highly ranked, and nothing from either. Just wondering if there was a chance for us in the MN pool from 2+2. Grateful to be in this with all of you great people!

Ohhhh no I’m 100% sure it’s over for ME I just want to hold hope for you wonderful people :(
Ah I see. Yeah honestly that does make me sad too. Seems like the bulk of the acceptances reported were from people who posted for the first time or who didn't really participate much in the thread. Would have liked to see some more of the long-time posters make it. @MarineMDHopeful will carry our cohort's dreams to Mayo!

Ah I see. Yeah honestly that does make me sad too. Seems like the bulk of the acceptances reported were from people who posted for the first time or who didn't really participate much in the thread. Would have liked to see some more of the long-time posters make it. @MarineMDHopeful will carry our cohort's dreams to Mayo!

I am legit hoping more OGs of this thread get off the alt list. We definitely all clicked well.

Just got a waitlist from the University of Minnesota 5 minutes ago and radio silence from Mayo. Going to eat a chocolate lava cake.

Reactions: 7 users
Rest easy my fellow MayOG's I wanna see you get in! You'll have a room to crash in in Rochester if you ever need it.

Just got a waitlist from the University of Minnesota 5 minutes ago and radio silence from Mayo. Going to eat a chocolate lava cake.

Me too. Just got the U of M wait list and Mayo silence. Today is brutal :(

Out of curiosity, when did you interview at U of M? Since we got decisions at the same time, I wonder if we interviewed the same day.

Congrats to everyone accepted! Any 2+2 people get just MN acceptances? I applied 2+2, got the highly ranked, and nothing from either. Just wondering if there was a chance for us in the MN pool from 2+2. Grateful to be in this with all of you great people!

Same.

Me too. Just got the U of M wait list and Mayo silence. Today is brutal :(

Out of curiosity, when did you interview at U of M? Since we got decisions at the same time, I wonder if we interviewed the same day.
Rough stuff, our runs did no good. January 11th!

Heres to another year of no essays! Best of luck to everyone applying.
zTOzOxq.jpg

This is a very good image.

one last thing before I make my final exit... I am grateful to all of you who stuck it out with the rest of us. I am astounded at how underrepresented Mayo was on this thread but I do know we have lurkers too. To those of you who were accepted and have multiple options, who know you most likely will not be attending Mayo, please carefully consider your options and withdraw gracefully if you decide that mayo isn't the place for you so that others who would die to be there get their chance. thanks again everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe I’m an incorrigible optimist but I think you’ll get In. I just have a good feeling about you staying in MN with your wife.

Reactions: 4 users
Geez

Yeah this has been a fiasco with these letters.

Sorry guys. Hope by August you all get in where you want or at the least somewhere. Better late than never.

I completely understand your bitterness. The letters do make the rejections/waitlist personal.

Take a month to not think about it. Don’t write something in haste to the admissions office. I felt similar with another school for a different reason and really wanted to stick it to them regarding their process but I am glad I didn’t let my emotions dictate my language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted!!! Got the call in my dream.

Here’s some food for thought: since the highly ranked emails were essentially meaningless, maybe these acceptance calls aren’t actual acceptances either and we all still have a shot

Reactions: 2 users