2017-2018 Michigan State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my formal acceptance after clear background check 2/5. Interviewed 10/27, accepted 12/5. Also haven't received anything in the mail, unsure if CHM does mailed letters at all.
 
Got my formal acceptance after clear background check 2/5. Interviewed 10/27, accepted 12/5. Also haven't received anything in the mail, unsure if CHM does mailed letters at all.
Did you have to file the Dean’s letter documents as well in order to receive your formal acceptance or did you get the formal acceptance as soon as your background check was approved?
 
Did you have to file the Dean’s letter documents as well in order to receive your formal acceptance or did you get the formal acceptance as soon as your background check was approved?
I believe just as soon as the background check was cleared. I attend a 4 year and submitted my dean's letter from there, but haven't submitted it from a community college I took classes from yet, so I don't think its dependent on those.
 
I believe just as soon as the background check was cleared. I attend a 4 year and submitted my dean's letter from there, but haven't submitted it from a community college I took classes from yet, so I don't think its dependent on those.
How are you planning on getting it from the CC? I live quite a distance away from the CC I took classes at in high school and am trying to figure out what to do...
 
How are you planning on getting it from the CC? I live quite a distance away from the CC I took classes at in high school and am trying to figure out what to do...
I'm in a very similar predicament! I plan on waiting for my university's spring break in a couple weeks and just making the trip home to go in! I bet if you call your CC and explain what you need you may be able to send them the form and a letter addressed to CHM, I would think most places would be accommodating to people living far away.
 
Does anyone know how many people interview for the Leadership in Rural medicine program and how many actually get in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess tonight wasn't my night. Ughhhh I really don't want to open my email tmr morning. Nothing good can come from it.
Same here, I've been anxiously staring at my phone for hours and sadly nothing too. Hoping there's nothing in the email tomorrow and better to wait until March :/ Let's hope for the best!
 
Rejected Pre-II. OOS. LM 68. I had received the recent hold for continued interest email. Kinda disappointed. Good luck to everyone else still in the fight!
 
I believe just as soon as the background check was cleared. I attend a 4 year and submitted my dean's letter from there, but haven't submitted it from a community college I took classes from yet, so I don't think its dependent on those.
I am assuming you went to the University of Michigan. May be a dumb question.. How exactly do we send the Dean's Certification Form? I'm assuming by mail... but to the registrar's office or another place?
 
How are you planning on getting it from the CC? I live quite a distance away from the CC I took classes at in high school and am trying to figure out what to do...

I had to get seven letters from all over the country. I filled the form out electronically with Adobe and then emailed it to the student conduct office or dean. I called each school individually to figure out who exactly to email it to. It’s not a unique thing so everyone had heard of the form and was willing to help me out.
 
I am assuming you went to the University of Michigan. May be a dumb question.. How exactly do we send the Dean's Certification Form? I'm assuming by mail... but to the registrar's office or another place?
Haha you are correct. I am still a student so I brought it to the dean's office in the LSA building and they sent me to someone in the Newnan Academic Advising Center. I'm not sure the exact person who needed it but I know their office is within Newnan so if you need to send via mail or email I suggest calling them. I was required to give them an addressed, stamped envelope.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha you are correct. I am still a student so I brought it to the dean's office in the LSA building and they sent me to someone in the Newnan Academic Advising Center. I'm not sure the exact person who needed it but I know their office is within Newnan so if you need to send via mail or email I suggest calling them. I was required to give them an addressed, stamped envelope.

okay I will head to Newnan then! Thank you
 
More big changes coming out of MSU. They are changing the college's name to the College of Medicine, Dean Beauchamp appointed to a new position as well.
I get their reasoning for the name change, but doesn't it feel like a really superficial change to make it seem like things are being done in response to the Nassar events? This feels like a PR move to me and an unnecessary one at that.
 
I get their reasoning for the name change, but doesn't it feel like a really superficial change to make it seem like things are being done in response to the Nassar events? This feels like a PR move to me and an unnecessary one at that.
I agree with you. I think they've made some meaningful steps for change but this one seems a bit unnecessary and undoubtedly will cost a lot of money to implement. Not to mention our whole alumni base (as the first class under this new name) will have graduated from a college of a different name.
Also Nassar's position was in COM, which is not being renamed or rebranded. It will be interesting to say the least to see how this continues to unfold.
 
I agree with you. I think they've made some meaningful steps for change but this one seems a bit unnecessary and undoubtedly will cost a lot of money to implement. Not to mention our whole alumni base (as the first class under this new name) will have graduated from a college of a different name.
Also Nassar's position was in COM, which is not being renamed or rebranded. It will be interesting to say the least to see how this continues to unfold.
I totally agree with everything you said. I'm excited for real cultural changes to happen for the future, but I'm tempering my expectations.

Now we can take bets on what the new name will be! College of Medicine? School of Medicine?

If College of Medicine, will there be two MSUCOMs? I hope not for simplicity's sake, lmao.
 
For the ABLE program apparently 30-40 students are referred for 12-15 spot. According to the email I just received the final selection is determined in the late spring (interpret as you will). You have to attend a summer institute which has no tuition associated with it the do provide housing and a small meal stipend. The rest of the programme (Fall and Spring semester following the summer institute) would be cost around $13288 per semester ($32770 for out of state) the cost are not set since the tuition for next year had not been set yet. The way this email describes it seems that the college may provide a stipend to help offset the cost but it doesn't elaborate on how much (email states that students are also responsible for cost).


Hopefully this is useful to someone either in this cycle or in subsequent cycles
 
I totally agree with everything you said. I'm excited for real cultural changes to happen for the future, but I'm tempering my expectations.

Now we can take bets on what the new name will be! College of Medicine? School of Medicine?

If College of Medicine, will there be two MSUCOMs? I hope not for simplicity's sake, lmao.

Yeah, I’m an undergrad here now and am also very confused about the name change. The article said it’s “to better reflect generally used medical terminology”... I think it’s pointless. If anything, change it to the College of Allopathic Medicine (CAM). Also, this is petty, but I’m salty because our white coats are going to be different than everyone elses lol
 
Last edited:
I agree with you. I think they've made some meaningful steps for change but this one seems a bit unnecessary and undoubtedly will cost a lot of money to implement. Not to mention our whole alumni base (as the first class under this new name) will have graduated from a college of a different name.
Also Nassar's position was in COM, which is not being renamed or rebranded. It will be interesting to say the least to see how this continues to unfold.

I totally agree with everything you said. I'm excited for real cultural changes to happen for the future, but I'm tempering my expectations.

Now we can take bets on what the new name will be! College of Medicine? School of Medicine?

If College of Medicine, will there be two MSUCOMs? I hope not for simplicity's sake, lmao.
Yeah, I’m an undergrad here now and am also very confused about the name change. The article said it’s “to better reflect generally used medical terminology”... I think it’s pointless. If anything, change it to the College of Allopathic Medicine (CAM). Also, this is petty, but I’m salty because our white coats are going to be different than everyone elses lol

Students & alumni got real mad about this. Real mad. The name change came from the board and pres., not the dean. The vote for the name change was tabled until April and as far as we can tell at this point, it won't happen.

Dean Beauchamp IS trying to make real change and his new role is putting him in the position to do so.

I'm also still holding out on getting too hopeful, given the track record, but the dean is a solid human being and has his heart in the right place.. I'm hoping he can help lead MSU in the right direction.
 
Students & alumni got real mad about this. Real mad. The name change came from the board and pres., not the dean. The vote for the name change was tabled until April and as far as we can tell at this point, it won't happen.

Dean Beauchamp IS trying to make real change and his new role is putting him in the position to do so.

I'm also still holding out on getting too hopeful, given the track record, but the dean is a solid human being and has his heart in the right place.. I'm hoping he can help lead MSU in the right direction.

I just watched a video earlier where he apologized for the rash decision. He also ensured that the name change was indeed happening on July 1st, if I'm not mistaken. Here is the link for anyone interested:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CURRENT STUDENTS:

Hey everyone,

I interviewed at MSU today. I have some questions about the curriculum and about the LMU program. I want to hear some insights from the student perspective.

Would anyone be willing to inbox me? I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you! 🙂
 
I think I am in love with this school. Not only that, everyone I met and interacted with in Lansing was so kind, inclusive, and down to earth. I feel a strong sense of community here, especially with the flooding going on. Is this typical or was my sample number and duration of exposure too limited?
 
I think I am in love with this school. Not only that, everyone I met and interacted with in Lansing was so kind, inclusive, and down to earth. I feel a strong sense of community here, especially with the flooding going on. Is this typical or was my sample number and duration of exposure too limited?

I am very amazed with this flooding. Of the 4 years I have been here as an undergrad, this is the first. I guess I would say it is not "common".