2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone was telling me that the DO students will be moved to the new Tampa campus and MD students will take over the Ft Lauderdale campus, is this true?

Lol no. Tampa is just a branch campus to be opened next year. MD and DO stay in Ft. lauderdale and additional DO students can apply next year for the tampa campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone was telling me that the DO students will be moved to the new Tampa campus and MD students will take over the Ft Lauderdale campus, is this true?
Some students say that they will eventually move all dos to Tampa but not in the near future

Members don't see this ad :)
They told us at my interview date that the entire point of opening a Tampa campus is to double the enrollment and # of graduates, it's in line with the vision of producing as many physicians as possible to serve the needs of FL. DO will continue to exist at both campuses... they couldn't possibly sustain classes of ~400 all on one campus!

Anyone from late January interview dates heard back yet? Committee was supposed to meet Feb 6th but no word yet.... on the verge of a panic attack here! Best of luck to upcoming interviewees, I had an absolutely fabulous day and left with a new #1 school choice. Fingers crossed x 100000!!

Reactions: 2 users
They told us at my interview date that the entire point of opening a Tampa campus is to double the enrollment and # of graduates, it's in line with the vision of producing as many physicians as possible to serve the needs of FL. DO will continue to exist at both campuses... they couldn't possibly sustain classes of ~400 all on one campus!

Anyone from late January interview dates heard back yet? Committee was supposed to meet Feb 6th but no word yet.... on the verge of a panic attack here! Best of luck to upcoming interviewees, I had an absolutely fabulous day and left with a new #1 school choice. Fingers crossed x 100000!!
What makes this school your #1 choice? Would you mind highlighting some of your top "likes" for this school?

What makes this school your #1 choice? Would you mind highlighting some of your top "likes" for this school?

I 100% agree with that, I had my heart totally set on another school (to which I have recently received an acceptance) but got all the warm and fuzzy feelings when I was at Nova. I interviewed end of January and haven’t heard anything yet either.

For me personally it became my #1 choice because of the many opportunities (pre-doctoral fellowship, encouragement of international mission trips/rotations, option to get a concurrent Master’s, medical Spanish requirement) that I feel like most schools just simply don’t have. And the students there seemed genuinely happy and supportive of each other. My MD interviewer was telling me how he had worked at several other schools including Stanford before coming to Nova and he will never leave because Nova is the only place he’s worked where it’s truly collaborative and no one (students and faculty) is trying to undermine each other to get ahead. He then revealed he makes far less money at Nova. I just think that was very telling. People are there because they want to be there.

Reactions: 4 users
I 100% agree with that, I had my heart totally set on another school (to which I have recently received an acceptance) but got all the warm and fuzzy feelings when I was at Nova. I interviewed end of January and haven’t heard anything yet either.

For me personally it became my #1 choice because of the many opportunities (pre-doctoral fellowship, encouragement of international mission trips/rotations, option to get a concurrent Master’s, medical Spanish requirement) that I feel like most schools just simply don’t have. And the students there seemed genuinely happy and supportive of each other. My MD interviewer was telling me how he had worked at several other schools including Stanford before coming to Nova and he will never leave because Nova is the only place he’s worked where it’s truly collaborative and no one (students and faculty) is trying to undermine each other to get ahead. He then revealed he makes far less money at Nova. I just think that was very telling. People are there because they want to be there.
Those opportunities really opened my eyes towards this school as well. Also, the fact that they have rotations at two Level 1 Trauma hospitals doesn’t hurt. The best part of my interview day was when the dean came in and talked to us. She was so incredibly articulate and informative!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have thoughts on the 30 credit curriculum during the first semester? Manageable? Overkill?

Someone on a different thread said the DO school is switching over to PBL starting next year? Is this true? Based on my interview, I was under the impression that the curriculum was mainly lecture with PBL added here and there. I thought it was just the MD school that was focusing on PBL as their main learning style.

Someone on a different thread said the DO school is switching over to PBL starting next year? Is this true? Based on my interview, I was under the impression that the curriculum was mainly lecture with PBL added here and there. I thought it was just the MD school that was focusing on PBL as their main learning style.

Wow, does anyone know anything about this? I really liked the fact that is was more traditional with recorded lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, does anyone know anything about this? I really liked the fact that is was more traditional with recorded lectures.
I think this is likely just a rumor. If anyone could confirm that would be great.

In my interview session with the dean, she definitely denied this. She's proud of the school for having a curriculum that caters to many different learning styles and said that if anything, PBL makes up a small chunk of the teaching format. Also she didn't indicate major changes coming to that anytime soon.. although she did comment on the MD program being set up totally different than the DO (^^ like you said, much more PBL/ small group work focused).

Also, to reply to the #1 school comment, I have many of the same points and thoughts as MediC00L above :) I was blown away by the genuine-ness (?) of EVERYONE I met, students/administrators/faculty alike. Everyone loves being there and it has the most collaborative, friendly environment of all the schools I've been to. They really push international missions and rotations; are highly focused on community engagement and service in your practice; have a very positive and strong emphasis on OMT and on students being comfortable in performing it; the facilities are awesome; the people are happy; it checked all my boxes!

In my interview session with the dean, she definitely denied this. She's proud of the school for having a curriculum that caters to many different learning styles and said that if anything, PBL makes up a small chunk of the teaching format. Also she didn't indicate major changes coming to that anytime soon.. although she did comment on the MD program being set up totally different than the DO (^^ like you said, much more PBL/ small group work focused).

Also, to reply to the #1 school comment, I have many of the same points and thoughts as MediC00L above :) I was blown away by the genuine-ness (?) of EVERYONE I met, students/administrators/faculty alike. Everyone loves being there and it has the most collaborative, friendly environment of all the schools I've been to. They really push international missions and rotations; are highly focused on community engagement and service in your practice; have a very positive and strong emphasis on OMT and on students being comfortable in performing it; the facilities are awesome; the people are happy; it checked all my boxes!
Thank you so much for this information! Yes, during my interview the Dean did not make any mention of switching to PBL either.

I was also very much blown away by the facilities and community here. I am deciding between 4 schools right now, but this one is at the top of my list so far. Hope to meet you this summer!

Any clue regarding how full their class is at this point?

What does this mean?
It's a joke. 240 is roughly the amount of students that they accept period. I mean, I'm sure the accept slightly more to account for those who don't matriculate, but in general they have a class size of ~240.

I asked the Dean during my interview regarding PBL and she basically said that the new MD program in Nova will be incorporating it but not the DO program. DO will be using the same traditional class room style learning.

Any clue regarding how full their class is at this point?
They stated in yesterday's interview (2/15) that the class is pretty full, but not to worry if you get waitlisted, because they accept ~70 people off the waitlist every year.

It sucks interviewing this late, but it is what it is.

I am very hopeful for lots of waitlist movement just due to the opening of the new MD program. It seemed yesterday that there is a lot of overlap in late interviewees in the MD/DO application pools, as n=3 yesterday for the people I spoke with who had interviewed for both programs here - with the conversation only including three people.

Last edited:
They stated in yesterday's interview (2/15) that the class is pretty full, but not to worry if you get waitlisted, because they accept ~70 people off the waitlist every year.

It sucks interviewing this late, but it is what it is.

I am very hopeful for lots of waitlist movement just due to the opening of the new MD program. It seemed yesterday that there is a lot of overlap in late interviewees in the MD/DO application pools, as n=3 yesterday for the people I spoke with who had interviewed for both programs here - with the conversation only including three people.
They said the same during my interview in January and I know several people who were accepted. Don't lose hope!

What does the FACR stand for? Every friday they have a PBL style class?, I can't remember completely

What does the FACR stand for? Every friday they have a PBL style class?, I can't remember completely

Foundations and Applications of Clinical Reasoning. It’s my favorite class (except it’s too early, I’m a night person). The lecture starts with a physician presenting a case, then the related basic science professor presenting the physiology and pathophysiology details, and then back to the physician. It goes from patient presentation to history to physical to work up/tests to diagnosis. Then it goes into signs and symptoms, treatments, etc. It’s not PBL in the sense of fumbling around in a group of students. But it is case-based to a degree, although you fumble around in the beginning when the professor asks the class as a whole to nominant history questions, tests, differential diagnosis, etc, eventually you are given the full information. Best of both worlds.

Foundations and Applications of Clinical Reasoning. It’s my favorite class (except it’s too early, I’m a night person). The lecture starts with a physician presenting a case, then the related basic science professor presenting the physiology and pathophysiology details, and then back to the physician. It goes from patient presentation to history to physical to work up/tests to diagnosis. Then it goes into signs and symptoms, treatments, etc. It’s not PBL in the sense of fumbling around in a group of students. But it is case-based to a degree, although you fumble around in the beginning when the professor asks the class as a whole to nominant history questions, tests, differential diagnosis, etc, eventually you are given the full information. Best of both worlds.
Okay sweet thanks this was extremely helpful

I'm going to be "that" person - is there a FB group yet for accepted students?

0E8DB74A-3BA1-4A65-89BA-C5ECEB68930D.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
I have some friends in the med school, there's another rumor going around that they are switching over to pass/fail. Which I would really enjoy

I have some friends in the med school, there's another rumor going around that they are switching over to pass/fail. Which I would really enjoy

Other rumors that they’re switching to PBL. Which wasn’t hinted at in my interview at all. Also, if they were switching to pass/fail for next year wouldn’t this have been out in the open already? Feel like this stuff takes years coming down the pipe...i.e. if they just decided on pass/fail they would roll it out 2-3 years from now. I like the idea of pass/fail, but feel the chance of us seeing it is slim.

Do they send acceptances/waitlists/and the other "thing" all in snail mail?

So, I did something very, very stupid. I was just re-reading the post-II letter I sent here like a typical neurotic pre-med, and there was definitely a typo in there. A very obvious typo - a word left over from a sentence I had replaced that made absolutely no sense. I read the dang thing over about 15 times before sending it, but apparently my completely fried brain missed the typo every single time. I was very sleep deprived at the time of writing the letter, but still! Can't believe I missed that.

I emailed again and asked if my total failboat letter could be replaced with a corrected copy, which I attached. Hopefully no harm, no foul, and that Hayley in the admissions office is the only one who saw my original letter... does anyone know if the admissions committee met this week?

OH MY GOD. I am dying. :eek: This is my top choice school. If I don't get in, I'm always going to wonder if that stupid letter did me in...

So, I did something very, very stupid. I was just re-reading the post-II letter I sent here like a typical neurotic pre-med, and there was definitely a typo in there. A very obvious typo - a word left over from a sentence I had replaced that made absolutely no sense. I read the dang thing over about 15 times before sending it, but apparently my completely fried brain missed the typo every single time. I was very sleep deprived at the time of writing the letter, but still! Can't believe I missed that.

I emailed again and asked if my total failboat letter could be replaced with a corrected copy, which I attached. Hopefully no harm, no foul, and that Hayley in the admissions office is the only one who saw my original letter... does anyone know if the admissions committee met this week?

OH MY GOD. I am dying. :eek: This is my top choice school. If I don't get in, I'm always going to wonder if that stupid letter did me in...
They will be meeting this week or next week, coming up soon though

Dang, waitlisted through snail mail. The letter is dated Feb 16.
Interviewed 1/30

To the person that asked if all decisions are through snail mail, I believe acceptances are emailed.