2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold=may get accepted before 4/30, Waitlist=After 4/30. At this late of the game, no difference.
I was told that there is no difference, there is only 1 list (hold list is the same as waitlist)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have the waitlist email?

Below is the hold email:

The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application and interview evaluations and placed your file on the “Hold List”. This designation indicates that your credentials warrant further consideration as the remainder of the applicant pool is evaluated. You should be aware that a subsequent decision will be based on the information presently contained in your file with the exception of updated official transcript records.

Should your application remain active beyond the AMCAS reporting date of April 30, 2018, you will remain in the Hold category. If there are withdrawals prior to the start of classes, you may be considered for a position in the Entering Class of 2018. During this period it is important that the Office of Admissions has an updated mailing address and phone number where you can be contacted.

You will be promptly informed when a further decision is made. Due to the large number of applications, we encourage you to wait for this notification rather than call for information on your status.

We appreciate your interest in The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine.

It was a very tough decision, but I just withdrew my acceptance. Loved the vibe, loved the people, loved the program but you can't go to 2 med schools :unsure: I hope one of you on the waitlist gets the position!
Totally agree, seems like a great school, but I am also looking to withdraw... I couldn't find an option for it on the portal, did you just email admissions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday! Any one know how long it will take for the package to arrive? NYC based. Only got the email so far and saw someone posted previously saying deposit has to be in by April 30th?
My acceptance packet came in 5 days (3 week days). The letter inside says that you need to submit your 100$ deposit no later than 4/30. Not sure how that works for you since you just got accepted.

Accepted yesterday! Any one know how long it will take for the package to arrive? NYC based. Only got the email so far and saw someone posted previously saying deposit has to be in by April 30th?

I was also accepted, and I called admissions and was told to reply to the acceptance email saying I was taking the spot, and then I got an email back with instructions to send the check. She said they want to try to have everybody at least post mark it by April 30th.

I was also accepted, and I called admissions and was told to reply to the acceptance email saying I was taking the spot, and then I got an email back with instructions to send the check. She said they want to try to have everybody at least post mark it by April 30th.

Oh man, I hope they're willing to give me more than 6 days to decide. I'm waiting for one school. Emailed them today to see if I could get until mid-May to decide :confused:

Oh thank you for the info! Guess I will see you at the orientation~~ :D

Has anyone who has submitted their deposit and accepted a position in the class not received an activation account email and has no way to view financial aid (also haven’t received an email about this)?

Edit: In case this does happen to anyone else - I had an access account for undergrad that was open until January (when they would have sent information on creating my access account). The account expired shortly after because I was not enrolled in classes at penn state for 6 months. I called the information security team and they told me how to enroll with my old access account information for a graduate/professional account and now everything is squared away.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of those just accepted. I'm an MS1 in the PSCOM UP Program and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I just spent last week in Hershey doing clerkship work and I'm pretty familiar with their program as well. Feel free to PM me as well. I know 4/30 is a big day for you all when you have to pick one school, so best of luck with that process.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have some insight on waitlist movement here, MSAR info doesn’t really make any sense. Just trying to be realistic about my chances!

Reactions: 1 users
Are we allowed to update the school now since it's past the April 30th deadline?

Withdrew about 2 weeks ago. Hoping that spot goes to someone that needs it :)!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to those who needs it!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have some insight on waitlist movement here, MSAR info doesn’t really make any sense. Just trying to be realistic about my chances!
There will definitely be a fair amount of waitlist movement in the coming days and weeks. As above, lots of people just withdrew today since it is the deadline to have only a single acceptance, so there will be acceptances off the waitlist soon.

There will definitely be a fair amount of waitlist movement in the coming days and weeks. As above, lots of people just withdrew today since it is the deadline to have only a single acceptance, so there will be acceptances off the waitlist soon.
Does Penn State accept LOI at this stage, will it be helpful ?

Does Penn State accept LOI at this stage, will it be helpful ?
This is a good questions and I can't definitively answer. I know in general PSCOM is not big on updates in general for whatever reason, and I've not heard of LOIs being successful here.

Are we allowed to update the school now since it's past the April 30th deadline?
I don’t believe so. The email they sent specifically said any further considerations would be made based on information currently in the file. Not sure if that includes LOIs

Do people ever come off the hold list here?
I'm trying to figure out if I should just grab an apartment at my other school

Do people ever come off the hold list here?
I'm trying to figure out if I should just grab an apartment at my other school
I believe some do. I don't know exactly how many since essentially everyone who didn't get accepted right away was placed on the hold list, but that's just to my knowledge.

This is a good questions and I can't definitively answer. I know in general PSCOM is not big on updates in general for whatever reason, and I've not heard of LOIs being successful here.

I called the office and they said they would accept letters of intent and updates. Not sure how pivotal it maybe....

Does anyone know if there have been acceptances sent out this week?

Can anyone confirm if merit and need-based scholarships are two separate things here? I believe that need-based scholarships should already have been in our financial aid award letter, but merit scholarships come at a later time?
I emailed the financial aid office, and they weren't very helpful...

EDIT: their second reply said that incoming students do not receive merit scholarships; only current students qualify for them.

Last edited:
I believe some do. I don't know exactly how many since essentially everyone who didn't get accepted right away was placed on the hold list, but that's just to my knowledge.
Are they going to notify us if we are put on the wait list from hold or is everyone on hold on the "wait list"
It would be nice if they provided us with some kind of update.

This is more directed to the current students- is there a formal way to find roommates as in does the student council release a roommate matching thing.

I can't live on campus since I have a cat lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are they going to notify us if we are put on the wait list from hold or is everyone on hold on the "wait list"
It would be nice if they provided us with some kind of update.

The hold list is the same as the waitlist. I called and asked! So if you are on hold after your interview, you are on the waitlist.

The hold list is the same as the waitlist. I called and asked! So if you are on hold after your interview, you are on the waitlist.
Do we know how many students they take off the waitlist?
Historically I feel like there hasn't been this many people on the waitlist haha

Do we know how many students they take off the waitlist?
Historically I feel like there hasn't been this many people on the waitlist haha

I have a feeling that there’s a difference between on hold and wait list. MSAR says PSU pretty much take everyone from the wait list, and I doubt we (as in people on post interview hold) are all going to be accepted.

I have a feeling that there’s a difference between on hold and wait list. MSAR says PSU pretty much take everyone from the wait list, and I doubt we (as in people on post interview hold) are all going to be accepted.

There is no waitlist. Essentially, everyone is put on hold. SDN's have synonymized hold with waitlist.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything?

Holy Moly was there ever a lot of waitlist activity since Friday!
To start, there was a boatload at Vandy, UCSF, Davis, Morehouse and Irvine.
There was also movement at NW, Hofstra, MI St., MN, Wayne, FAU, Columbia, NYU, UCR, GW, SUNY Brooklyn, Temple, UCLA, VCU, Rutgers, Hawaii, Penn St. and Northstate.

According to gyngyn, there was waitlist movement at Penn State. Not sure if it was from the holdlist or a direct acceptance after not hearing back from the interview for a while.

I just got accepted!!!! Was on the hold list. This is unbelievable...i am so excited for this school! Have hope everyone :D

Reactions: 15 users
S

I read somewhere that most people get off of the waistlist so I guess that’s wrong

That is definitely wrong. Everyone after the interview is waitlisted if they are not accepted which is essentially 300+ considering they accept 300+ students for a class of 149 and interview over 750 candidates.

Can any other accepted/current students comment on whether we are supposed to get a drug screen before showing up? I got all of my vaccinations and things that we were told to get in our acceptance packet but idk I kind of was assuming I'd have to pee in a cup before starting school

For anyone who has been accepted, can you please share when the white coat is/when classes begin?

For anyone who has been accepted, can you please share when the white coat is/when classes begin?
Orientation begins July 10, someone earlier said that white coat is after the first block on medical profession -- July 28 I believe

Correction: July 27. TY @chappikachu

Last edited:

Orientation begins July 10, someone earlier said that white coat is after the first block on medical profession -- July 28 I believe
White coat is actually the afternoon of Friday, July 27.
Official classes start the week after orientation on Monday, July 16.

For those on the waitlist, have any of you written LOI?

Where has everyone gone to look for roommates for off campus housing? Was looking to get a roommate or two to live off campus for the first year since I wasn't accepted for the on campus housing.