2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my application this morning after getting accepted to my #2 school and a great interview at my #1 school within the last week. I really hope that somehow helps someone who hasn't gotten an II yet get one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 2/15 and got my waitlist in the mail today already. Rumor has it their seats are full at the moment.

You heard that from a current student?

Also waitlisted. Seems like there have been very few acceptances lately :(

Just got an II. Don't know why they do this... I thought there was definitely no chance. Lol. Whatever, I got into my no 1 school already and hope someone else can have my seat!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does pcom email or mail interview invites?

Also, until when in the cycle do they interview?

Just got an II. Don't know why they do this... I thought there was definitely no chance. Lol. Whatever, I got into my no 1 school already and hope someone else can have my seat!
When was you interview schedule for? I know from this thread people had II for March 20 and March 28. I know they interview until late March. Last year the last interview date was like the 30th of March. I know people say they don't interview for waitlist but I feel like they do this late.

When was you interview schedule for? I know from this thread people had II for March 20 and March 28. I know they interview until late March. Last year the last interview date was like the 30th of March. I know people say they don't interview for waitlist but I feel like they do this late.
March 15. I haven't been following this thread for a while. Don't know the exact situation

I got a recent II for 3/26

Honestly from my conversation with their adcom, their application cycle seems quite disorganized this year compared to the last cycle. Don't know why.

Wait, but I know people who interviewed in early January, as well as early February (like myself) and have not heard anything, not even a waitlist or delayed decision with no portal changes. How come people who interviewed after that already have gotten something?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got a II for the 26th. I withdrew, however, I because I was accepted somewhere way closer to home. Good luck everyone, hope it goes to one of you still waiting to hear back.

You heard that from a current student?

Also waitlisted. Seems like there have been very few acceptances lately :(

Nobody knows this info except the ADCOM and they're not going to tell you the class is full already, they probably have a large number acceptances out and are waiting to hear back... the person you're replying too is just saying that the class is full as a way to justify their waitlist decision. Just stay calm until may/june because once the deadline for the deposit in April passes they will have a better idea on the number of seats remaining and the waitlist should see movement.

Nobody knows this info except the ADCOM and they're not going to tell you the class is full already, they probably have a large number acceptances out and are waiting to hear back... the person you're replying too is just saying that the class is full as a way to justify their waitlist decision. Just stay calm until may/june because once the deadline for the deposit in April passes they will have a better idea on the number of seats remaining and the waitlist should see movement.

Are you on the waitlist as well?

Wait, but I know people who interviewed in early January, as well as early February (like myself) and have not heard anything, not even a waitlist or delayed decision with no portal changes. How come people who interviewed after that already have gotten something?!?!
I honestly don't know, I was wondering this myself...but the way I see it if you are in that boat you are probably better off. This might mean they're on the fence about you as to whether or not they want to give you an acceptance or waitlist position whereas with others like myself automatically knew they weren't the best fit for the program so they received a waitlist or rejection. I think later is better because they might want to consider you for a bit longer and see if you are better than a few other people interviewing later. Overall, if you interviewed late in the cycle and still haven't heard back yet, I would take it as no news is good news until you receive that final letter saying you have been rejected or waitlisted because it means you are still in the running for one of the few acceptances left.

Due to an error with my school's registrar, my application wasn't complete until right before the deadline. I've been checking their portal every day because they have processed everything but my MCAT scores as of mid-Feb. The portal says it takes at least 15 business days and not to call about it, but I'm worried since everything was processed in a week except for my MCAT scores, which have been sitting for almost a month. Can anyone provide feedback on how long it took for your application to be processed after the fee was in?

Due to an error with my school's registrar, my application wasn't complete until right before the deadline. I've been checking their portal every day because they have processed everything but my MCAT scores as of mid-Feb. The portal says it takes at least 15 business days and not to call about it, but I'm worried since everything was processed in a week except for my MCAT scores, which have been sitting for almost a month. Can anyone provide feedback on how long it took for your application to be processed after the fee was in?
Around 4 days

I believe you can screenshot your scores and e-mail them to PCOM as well just so you can fulfill that requirement until they can update them officially, I think that's what I did. Sometimes things get lost in the sauce over at admissions unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
hey everyone!
I have an interview coming up and was wondering if anyone could message me with some advice? I'd be really appreciative ! :)

I honestly don't know, I was wondering this myself...but the way I see it if you are in that boat you are probably better off. This might mean they're on the fence about you as to whether or not they want to give you an acceptance or waitlist position whereas with others like myself automatically knew they weren't the best fit for the program so they received a waitlist or rejection. I think later is better because they might want to consider you for a bit longer and see if you are better than a few other people interviewing later. Overall, if you interviewed late in the cycle and still haven't heard back yet, I would take it as no news is good news until you receive that final letter saying you have been rejected or waitlisted because it means you are still in the running for one of the few acceptances left.

Why wouldn't the school just send a delayed decision if that's the case? Idk, I do find that odd that they haven't gotten a decision but maybe you're right and they're taking a closer look.

Does anyone know if accepted students have access to Nucleus yet? I was accepted in December and was told I would get an email with my login but I can't find it or not sure if I ever got that information.

Does anyone know if accepted students have access to Nucleus yet? I was accepted in December and was told I would get an email with my login but I can't find it or not sure if I ever got that information.

So Nucleus was actually recently replaced with “myPCOM” but you get a username and password (you can change the password to a personal one) in a welcome email but I think you get it after paying the second deposit. I honestly can’t remember if I got the info before or after I paid the second deposit sorry, but that may be the reason you haven’t received it yet

So Nucleus was actually recently replaced with “myPCOM” but you get a username and password (you can change the password to a personal one) in a welcome email but I think you get it after paying the second deposit. I honestly can’t remember if I got the info before or after I paid the second deposit sorry, but that may be the reason you haven’t received it yet
NVM I FOUND IT! It was lost in my gmail lol

Does PCOM provide incoming students with laptops or any technology? Debating whether I should invest in a new computer or tablet.

Does PCOM provide incoming students with laptops or any technology? Debating whether I should invest in a new computer or tablet.
You bring your own. As far as i know, you NEED a laptop that can run exam software. They do say however that if yours breaks, they have some available on loan.

has anybody heard anything or had a portal change?? Still haven't heard anything in terms of acceptance/hold/waitlist/rejection :( just feel like I'm waiting in limbo

Is there a date that DO schools have to accept as many people as the spots they have, like with MD schools. I been in the waitlist or waitpool since January and am trying to see when there will be some movement with that?

Is there a date that DO schools have to accept as many people as the spots they have, like with MD schools. I been in the waitlist or waitpool since January and am trying to see when there will be some movement with that?
Seems like WL movement at PCOM starts usually in May, June, July based on posts from previous threads.

This is the response that I got when I emailed last week:We will complete interviews in March and the Committee does not advise us as to how many invitations they may still have to send out.

I assume if you don't get anything by the end of this week then it is probably over since I doubt they will send IIs out the last week of interviews. From this thread it doesn't look like they sent out anything since the week of March 6th and they had already started sending out interview invites for the last week of March then.

Anyone know if they're done with II's this cycle?

Would like to know as well.

I would hold out until the end of March. After that point, it’s best to start preparing for the next cycle. Fingers crossed that you both hear something in the next 10 days! (PCOM has been known to, in some circumstances, send IIs only a few days before they are scheduled)

This is the response that I got when I emailed last week:We will complete interviews in March and the Committee does not advise us as to how many invitations they may still have to send out.

I assume if you don't get anything by the end of this week then it is probably over since I doubt they will send IIs out the last week of interviews. From this thread it doesn't look like they sent out anything since the week of March 6th and they had already started sending out interview invites for the last week of March then.

I would hold out until the end of March. After that point, it’s best to start preparing for the next cycle. Fingers crossed that you both hear something in the next 10 days! (PCOM has been known to, in some circumstances, send IIs only a few days before they are scheduled)

I received an II on 3/14 for the 3/16 interview date. So safe to say, they can send out II a few days prior to the interview date! I hope you all get the II you're hoping for. PCOM-GA is a great school with some amazing facilities and I really enjoyed speaking with the other interviewees on 3/16!

I received an II on 3/14 for the 3/16 interview date. So safe to say, they can send out II a few days prior to the interview date! I hope you all get the II you're hoping for. PCOM-GA is a great school with some amazing facilities and I really enjoyed speaking with the other interviewees on 3/16!

This is the Philly thread. The Philly and GA campuses have different committees and work separately.

I only know about Philly as I only applied to Philly and only corresponding to Philly. I even know last year Philly was sent out last interview invites the week of the 12th last year and you can even go back to that thread to see it is looking very similar to this one. Again don't know any thing about GA and how they conduct their cycle

I only know about Philly as I only applied to Philly and only corresponding to Philly. I even know last year Philly was sent out last interview invites the week of the 12th last year and you can even go back to that thread to see it is looking very similar to this one. Again don't know any thing about GA and how they conduct their cycle

Woop, I tagged the wrong person, my B

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know what kind of matches PCOM students got this year?

Can a current student comment on how they take notes on lectures? Trying to determine if I need a new laptop or tablet. Any advice helps!

Can a current student comment on how they take notes on lectures? Trying to determine if I need a new laptop or tablet. Any advice helps!

Not a current student quite yet, but I just purchased a Lenovo yoga 920 and it’s amazingggg. My dinosaur laptop from high school needed a serious upgrade, so if you’re willing to spend the cash I highly recommend. This’ll probably be my laptop til I’m 40 lmao. It’s a 2-in-1 laptop that can fold completely flat into a tablet. Although it should probably be called a “3-in-1” because you can fold in half way backwards as well and stand it up like a teepee if that makes sense. It’s super fast, thin, lightweight, touch screen. Figured I could write all over my PowerPoint slides with the pen while still being able to type notes in the note section. I’ve alwaysssss been a paper/pen type person while taking notes so it’ll be a big change for me to adjust to mainly computer note taking but I’m excited to give it a try. MIGHT print the PowerPoints for the first week of classes just incase I start to panick in class over the computer lmaooo

Not a current student quite yet, but I just purchased a Lenovo yoga 920 and it’s amazingggg. My dinosaur laptop from high school needed a serious upgrade, so if you’re willing to spend the cash I highly recommend. This’ll probably be my laptop til I’m 40 lmao. It’s a 2-in-1 laptop that can fold completely flat into a tablet. Although it should probably be called a “3-in-1” because you can fold in half way backwards as well and stand it up like a teepee if that makes sense. It’s super fast, thin, lightweight, touch screen. Figured I could write all over my PowerPoint slides with the pen while still being able to type notes in the note section. I’ve alwaysssss been a paper/pen type person while taking notes so it’ll be a big change for me to adjust to mainly computer note taking but I’m excited to give it a try. MIGHT print the PowerPoints for the first week of classes just incase I start to panick in class over the computer lmaooo
I was debating a similar computer, one with a touch screen and stylus for writing on PowerPoint. I'm a pen and paper person too. Thanks!

Hadn’t heard anything back since submitting my secondary and called today and was told that my letters of rec weren’t complete. Apparently they didn’t pick 2 science faculty from the letters I had in AACOMAS and only picked 1 so technically my app has been incomplete since that time. Kind of sucks considering interviews end in March and I actually had a pretty good shot at getting in otherwise. For those of you who haven’t heard anything back maybe check your portal cuz that might be the problem.

Hadn’t heard anything back since submitting my secondary and called today and was told that my letters of rec weren’t complete. Apparently they didn’t pick 2 science faculty from the letters I had in AACOMAS and only picked 1 so technically my app has been incomplete since that time. Kind of sucks considering interviews end in March and I actually had a pretty good shot at getting in otherwise. For those of you who haven’t heard anything back maybe check your portal cuz that might be the problem.

I’m so sorry that this has happened to you @blm24 , I can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now. Keep your head up, if you’ve already been accepted elsewhere, then consider yourself lucky that this is one fewer choice you’ll have to make about your future! And if not, I can attest that having to wait another year doesn’t have to be the end of the world. I am actually happy I got to spend an extra year working and making money! Either way, it’s not fair that this has happened to you, but I am confident you will get there soon.

Isn't that PCOM's fault or did you fill out your app incorrectly? If the former, you should complain. That's outrageous.

@chowder92 I hear where you’re coming from. This is 100% NOT OP’s fault and I am not suggesting that in the slightest. I think PCOM would unfortunately “defend” themselves by stating that they tell students to check the portal frequently and alert them of any missing/incorrect items. That being said, PCOM is still the responsible party. But if OP has even the slightest inclination of reapplying next year, I would think it’s best that he take the high road and not file a complaint with admissions, as it might hinder his chances for next year. It sucks because for any other circumstance I’m all for standing your ground and complaining about what is rightfully yours, but in the case of medical school admissions unfortunately this situation might be an exception to the rule. I would feel terrible if this happened to me. But I think, for me, this situation would just have to be another one of those terrible experiences I’d have to add to my list of Terrible Experiences of the Medical School Application Process list. Just my 2 cents!

I think part of the application process includes following up and/or checking portals.

Nonetheless, that is a very unfortunate situation.