2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got an email that said i'd get a letter in the mail. then i got the letter the next day.
Okay thanks. How many days did you have to pay the deposit?

Happy for you :) I know you're a re-applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted on Thursday! Paid the deposit and can't wait to start!

Does anyone know if there is a checklist of things to buy before starting?

Join the FB group called 'PCOM Class of 2022' and mention the checklist you're looking for. It's been emailed out recently and someone can forward it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the waitlist over? Like is nobody else going to be accepted off the waitlist? Starting to lose hope

So is the waitlist over? Like is nobody else going to be accepted off the waitlist? Starting to lose hope
Doubtful! The waitlist will likely still be looked at should any student decide to withdraw their seat between now and orientation week, which is Aug 6-10.
People have been known to be accepted even on orientation week, so there's still some hope! Mainly because there may be accepted students who are on waitlists for other schools, so you never know.

Reactions: 1 user
Just found out that apparently they never put my DO letter of rec into my application file for whatever reason. Wish I would have known this when I was placed on the waitlist 5 months ago.
Fingers crossed for you. I hope that DO LOR was able to work some magic!

Reactions: 1 users
Mind asking your friend where PCOM Biomed students factor into those offers? A couple of my friends from the program got accepted very late in the last year's cycle. Was hoping for the same type of miracle this year :arghh:
I did ask and if they are waiting for grades or scores then they are on hold and not wait list and decisions can't be made until those are received. If they are just on the waitlist they have to wait for a seat to open up.

I did ask and if they are waiting for grades or scores then they are on hold and not wait list and decisions can't be made until those are received. If they are just on the waitlist they have to wait for a seat to open up.
Okay I’m def not on hold for grades so I guess I will continue waiting.

Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not really worried about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!

Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not really worried about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!
If you actually want to be a physician... there's no reason not to take it. There's nothing you're going to do right now that will make you a better test taker than what you WILL do during M1 and M2. The board pass rate scores are in the upper 90%s.... there's no reason to fear that now REGARDLESS of MCAT score (the correlation it has is so weak its practically irrelevant). Follow your dreams, don't let fear get in your way.

Edit: Good luck and CONGRATS!

Hey everyone,
Thank you!
Hey did you just get off the WL today? Sucks to not know what's going on in the admissions department :(

I have a sub-500 and am sitting on the WL so congrats. I'm sure you're not alone. I wouldn't turn down the offer. A lot of what's on the MCAT you'll thankfully never have to see again. Believe me, If I got in and didn't have to even glance at the material on this test again I'd jump at the chance.

Hey everyone,
Thank you!

How did you know you were taken off the waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
Thank you!
How could you decline the offer? There are people like myself who are yearning for that spot of yours. If PCOM saw something in you either through your application and/or during the interview, they trusted you to succeed in their program and yet here you are doubting yourself. You are so lucky you don’t even know it.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish, but no luck. I'm sitting on the waitlist for the second year in a row with a 505 and 3.7. Losing hope really quickly.
Wow! Second year in a row with your stats. I guess I really shouldn’t take the waitlist silence personally. Such a mysterious process. I hope you at least have an acceptance somewhere with those numbers.

Wow! Second year in a row with your stats. I guess I really shouldn’t take the waitlist silence personally. Such a mysterious process. I hope you at least have an acceptance somewhere with those numbers.

Unfortunately PCOM was my only interview this year, so it's coming down to crunch time for me to figure out what I'm doing next year.

Unfortunately PCOM was my only interview this year, so it's coming down to crunch time for me to figure out what I'm doing next year.
Did you apply to any other newer schools? With your stats, you should be able to get in somewhere, unless there are red flags on your application?

Hey do you have any idea what's happening in admissions? Seems like the incoming class seats are still in flux. Are they still only meeting once a week?
No my friend is not in the office much these days. If the committee is meeting they are not including students at all but then they don't go to the other meetings either. One of the people in admissions did say that not many have been withdrawing so they can not accept until that happens. She said that some being accepted now are the ones who have to be accepted like those who are part of a school that has a kind of agreement with the school. Don't know the details but that is what she said.

Hey everyone,
Thank you!
For
How could you decline the offer? There are people like myself who are yearning for that spot of yours. If PCOM saw something in you either through your application and/or during the interview, they trusted you to succeed in their program and yet here you are doubting yourself. You are so lucky you don’t even know it.
Hi freshly off the waitlist. First congrats to you and second how can you now after all this time develop doubts about whether you can do the work? A little late in the cycle for cold feet. I have physicians in my family and I know that if you are not totally committed to becoming a physician don’t enter med school with that attitude. Too many people are ready to give 100% of their being to get a chance that you now have. So really please think it over. Also there is some credibility to MCAT and US med or ost licensing exam. Sure passing is likely but just a pass will not get you any decent intern residencies a 3.9 usually will get you 500 or better MCAT but your CARS and PhySci really pulled it down. Good luck with any thing you decide on. The dream is alive

Just a question to the group since it is July 20th. Has anyone received an email or in the portal from Deborah Benvenger I heard she may often alert wait list group of any activity going on. Also don’t despair as I did speak to a recent past director of medical education PCOM He told me they still have anywhere from 15 to 20 spots still not definitely filled. There could be a few post bac spots but most of those people have already been accepted. PCOM notorious for accepting up to the day class starts.

Just a question to the group since it is July 20th. Has anyone received an email or in the portal from Deborah Benvenger I heard she may often alert wait list group of any activity going on. Also don’t despair as I did speak to a recent past director of medical education PCOM He told me they still have anywhere from 15 to 20 spots still not definitely filled. There could be a few post bac spots but most of those people have already been accepted. PCOM notorious for accepting up to the day class starts.

Hey, nope haven't received anything from Ms. Benvenger. I know in past threads 'waitlist updates' used to be emailed throughout the process but doesn't seem like they do that anymore. Yeah the class doesn't seem totally full yet so :xf:

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I too am eagerly hoping to come off the waitlist but realistic this probably won't happen. I am wondering though where we should send letters of intent, or if that is even worth it? I feel like they don't hold much weight, but for those that did send them, who did you send them to? Just to admissions? Also, does anyone know when the first day of class starts for PCOM?

Hey Guys,

I too am eagerly hoping to come off the waitlist but realistic this probably won't happen. I am wondering though where we should send letters of intent, or if that is even worth it? I feel like they don't hold much weight, but for those that did send them, who did you send them to? Just to admissions? Also, does anyone know when the first day of class starts for PCOM?
The PCOM class starts August 13th so from now til then I believe they will definitely take people off the wait list by phone call email portal Good luck to all of us. It’s going to happen for at least some us this cycle but for those left it will happen next cycle for sure. The dream is alive.

@the dream is alive Do you plan on reapplying?
I already have to schools I know I can have great chance of getting in. Didn’t apply this time unfortunately Taking MCAT early August expecting 507-509 based on practice tests then reapplying Pcom can’t now as still on waiting list and seems may need better MCAT. Made wait list with 503 but never did as well as I’m doing now on practices

I already have to schools I know I can have great chance of getting in. Didn’t apply this time unfortunately Taking MCAT early August expecting 507-509 based on practice tests then reapplying Pcom can’t now as still on waiting list and seems may need better MCAT. Made wait list with 503 but never did as well as I’m doing now on practices

You can reapply to schools your still on the waitlist for.

Does a 503 really warrant a retake. Their website suggests a 500 and people are getting in with less than that. Also, does anybody know how extensive the waitlist is. Still hopeful for a call his upcoming week but I only have a 500 mcat with a 3.77gpa so with people saying they need to retake who have a 503 I’m less hopeful.

@MedGainz96 The WL is unpredictable. I wouldn't retake the 500 with your GPA, I would get an earlier app in and subsequently an earlier interview. Feb and March interviews are higher odds for WL or Delayed Decision. When were you complete this cycle? Also maybe beefing up on ECs (shadowing or some new experiences to add to app). I'm def right there with you about trying to remain hopeful but there's hope in the next cycle as well :nod:

Everyone has their unique situation. A 500 with 3.75 makes a case for admission. A 503 with a 3.45 masters and undergrad is a different situation. All i know is i only made wait list after interviewing early December and that tells me I have to improve my app. The best way for me is with a better MCAT that doesn't mean it applies to Medgainz. I am still hopeful that this is the week most likely I will finally hear from PCOM. Again good like to all.

I was complete pretty late. Didn’t finish my secondary til mid october. I finished my primary for this upcoming cycle in mid July but haven’t received a secondary yet. I would’ve expected to receive a secondary considering it’s been over 2 weeks since my primary application. Do I need to resubmit my LORs and MCAT scores to aacomas? I heard pcom is also harsher on younger applicants and I am fresh out of undergrad so idk if that has something to do with it. I lack volunteer work at a hospital despite my extensive hours shadowing because I was unaware how important that was to an application. I have an mcat scheduled for end of August Incase I don’t get in and am going to start volunteering if I don’t hear this week. Hopefully I will get in though as will the rest of you. Not too long ago somebody said there was 15-20 spots to fill and I have only seen 2 acceptances on here since. Just wish I knew exactly what their issues with my application were

I was complete pretty late. Didn’t finish my secondary til mid october. I finished my primary for this upcoming cycle in mid July but haven’t received a secondary yet. I would’ve expected to receive a secondary considering it’s been over 2 weeks since my primary application. Do I need to resubmit my LORs and MCAT scores to aacomas? I heard pcom is also harsher on younger applicants and I am fresh out of undergrad so idk if that has something to do with it. I lack volunteer work at a hospital despite my extensive hours shadowing because I was unaware how important that was to an application. I have an mcat scheduled for end of August Incase I don’t get in and am going to start volunteering if I don’t hear this week. Hopefully I will get in though as will the rest of you. Not too long ago somebody said there was 15-20 spots to fill and I have only seen 2 acceptances on here since. Just wish I knew exactly what their issues with my application were

PCOM secondaries haven't gone out for 18-19 cycle yet because they're upgrading their system.

Join me in my slow migration to the 2018-2019 PCOM-PA thread.

Just a shred of hope for us waitlistees, it looks like they're def still offering acceptances, as recent as last Monday. Turnaround for deposits are about two days.

Any idea how many people are on the waitlist? I mean I’m sure at least some of the recent acceptances are being turned down due to it being so late and applicants taking other acceptances by this stage. I hope we hear back soon. Idk why but I’m getting the feeling classes are full

Any idea how many people are on the waitlist? I mean I’m sure at least some of the recent acceptances are being turned down due to it being so late and applicants taking other acceptances by this stage. I hope we hear back soon. Idk why but I’m getting the feeling classes are full
They’re prob offering to local waitlist people I’d assume.

Last edited:
Well just when you needed a B12 shot i have to excitedly and still unbelievably tell you I got accepted to PCOM Monday. I had been told by many that they can easily keep filling till the last moment but who knew they were not kidding. I am stunned and elated but The Dream Is Alive and well . I accepted instantaneously It was an Email with all the info needed including acceptance letter and payment details which they wanted in 24 hours but they got it in about 24 minutes. I know its late in the cycle but obviously never give up until the classes start. To all of you I know what you've gone through and cannot wish you enough in the way of success. Pulling for you!!!! The Dream Is Alive.

Still absolutely in shock, but I was accepted last week. Thanks to everyone for answering questions and providing support along the way. Pulling for the rest of you!!!

Well just when you needed a B12 shot i have to excitedly and still unbelievably tell you I got accepted to PCOM Monday. I had been told by many that they can easily keep filling till the last moment but who knew they were not kidding. I am stunned and elated but The Dream Is Alive and well . I accepted instantaneously It was an Email with all the info needed including acceptance letter and payment details which they wanted in 24 hours but they got it in about 24 minutes. I know its late in the cycle but obviously never give up until the classes start. To all of you I know what you've gone through and cannot wish you enough in the way of success. Pulling for you!!!! The Dream Is Alive.

Still absolutely in shock, but I was accepted last week. Thanks to everyone for answering questions and providing support along the way. Pulling for the rest of you!!!

Congrats to both of you!
Just wondering, are either of you local?

From the dream is alive. No problem. Yes I live within 15 miles from phila area. I saw the note about area residents getting priority and agree but it’s priority for Pa residents not just phila area. PCOM has always tried to look kindly on Pa residents hoping they will practice in Pa. Again thanks to all for having this site. By the way that “just a little star” person is a big star as they seemed to give the most support over the long haul. Special thank you.

@the dream is alive I'll take that as a compliment :p! I figure we're all going through the same struggle to become doctors. A little support goes a long way sometimes.

Hey justalittlestar any idea what the class registration list is looking like? I know you mentioned they had 6 spots left not to long ago even though that’s not a full proof method for knowing remaining seats. Was wondering if you had any updates on that number. I know it’s super close to classes starting but I’m still pulling for us both!

Congrats guys!! We just had an email sent today regarding orientation and they mentioned they are still working with "an active waitlist", so I imagine there will be more people coming off the waitlist soon. My tour guide at my interview said he was literally accepted the day before classes began...so don't give up hope!

Congrats guys!! We just had an email sent today regarding orientation and they mentioned they are still working with "an active waitlist", so I imagine there will be more people coming off the waitlist soon. My tour guide at my interview said he was literally accepted the day before classes began...so don't give up hope!
Thanks for sharing @smc223 :happy:

Hey guys so I know with orientation starting they are going to be hard pressed to fill the few remaining seats. Hopeful for all of us, but at this point I’m curious to know how many people are even left on the waitlist? Anybody have any idea?

Hey guys so I know with orientation starting they are going to be hard pressed to fill the few remaining seats. Hopeful for all of us, but at this point I’m curious to know how many people are even left on the waitlist? Anybody have any idea?

I am still on the waitlist! I wrote to them yesterday mentioning I am local and the reasons why I want to stay in Philly / attend their program.

Here is to hoping for a miracle in the last few days!