2017-2018 Rutgers University - NJMS

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that interviewed, how was it? Is it just a single 1-on-1 with faculty? Open application or blind?

I'm gonna be interviewing soon and don't wanna blow it. Lol.

Yeah it’s a single 1-1, open file! Mine was super relaxed and conversational, no tricky questions just trying to get to know you better as a person!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Too late to submit application?

I am from CA, but my fiance and a lot of family lives in NJ.

MCAT: 511; GPA: 3.6
 
If your interview was in mid-Sept and haven't heard anything is it safe to say you're either in the rejection or waitlist pile at this point?
 
My interviewer definitely knew my MCAT score. He had my entire AMCAS app (similar looking to the PDF we can download) printed out and he sprawled it out on the table.

Yeah they have your AMCAS, but the MCAT score section is removed/crossed out. My interviewer told me when the topic of MCAT came up in the interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed on the 23rd from OOS and I'm in love with this school. Hopefully they still show me some love even though Im not from NJ! I don't know if I'll be able to take the wait!
 
I missed a call from No Caller ID Wednesday morning. If it was him, maybe next week he tries again? My ringer is usually off so I wonder at what point they just send the email.
hmmm potentially! i got an email about 5-6 days later congratulating me with a letter in the mail sent to my address. you might get an email some time between monday and thursday of next week. I would call just to check lol
 
hmmm potentially! i got an email about 5-6 days later congratulating me with a letter in the mail sent to my address. you might get an email some time between monday and thursday of next week. I would call just to check lol
That would make for one awkward conversation. "Um...hello...did you guys call last week giving me an acceptance?..No?...Ok, just checking, thanks!"

lol
 
I just received a second interview... idk if this is good news or bad news. anyone have any insight?
Hey! I was an ED applicant, had a second interview, and was later accepted. It just means that they didn't get all the information they need to make a decision. The good news is that they like you enough to bring you back for a second interview. Now just be prepared to kill it the second time around! Best of luck.
 
Hey! I was an ED applicant, had a second interview, and was later accepted. It just means that they didn't get all the information they need to make a decision. The good news is that they like you enough to bring you back for a second interview. Now just be prepared to kill it the second time around! Best of luck.
was your second interview an hour-long interview as well, with a different faculty member?
 
yes a second in-person interview. my first was 10/18 and I received a second interview invite today.
That's probably a good sign! It means that somebody on the adcom was fighting for you! Are you in state or are they going to make you pay for another flight? Either way, best of luck!


Since your interview was on 10/18 that must mean that they are getting close to reviewing those who interviewed on 10/23 hopefully.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
was your second interview an hour-long interview as well, with a different faculty member?
Yes and yes. We just focused on some different topics than my first interview, but all very typical questions. That being said, there was definitely overlap between the questions asked at the first and second.

I can't imagine yours would be with the same faculty member as your first.
 
Does anyone know if 3rd and 4th year clerkships, are pass/fail or honors/high pass/pass/fail? Ton of conflicting info on website. Thanks
 
Does anyone know if 3rd and 4th year clerkships, are pass/fail or honors/high pass/pass/fail? Ton of conflicting info on website. Thanks
I'm a current NJMS student and our clerkships are honors/high pass/pass/fail. Pre clinical years are true pass/fail.

If anyone else has any other questions I would be happy to answer them! Good luck and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!
 
For those who know better than me, a question about holding a spot and what goes along with it.

When you are accepted and waiting for other schools, do you just need to turn in the deposit within two weeks? What about the other things it states? Does the background check, parent info., etc have to be done within two weeks or just by the July deadline?

Just trying to not mess up at this point lol.
 
For those who know better than me, a question about holding a spot and what goes along with it.

When you are accepted and waiting for other schools, do you just need to turn in the deposit within two weeks? What about the other things it states? Does the background check, parent info., etc have to be done within two weeks or just by the July deadline?

Just trying to not mess up at this point lol.
yes! do that asap. its a $100 refundable deposit that goes toward ur tuition if you stay, but if you withdraw before april 30th, you'll get the $100 back. The background check just needs to be initiated before the 2 week deadline (it costs $36 :/) parent info is super quick and i forgot what else there is, but all in all, it should take less than an hour or so.
 
Can anyone tell me around what time the interview day ends? My faculty interview is from 2-3pm, so does that mean my day is over at 3pm? (Trying to figure out when to plan my train back to school)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me around what time the interview day ends? My faculty interview is from 2-3pm, so does that mean my day is over at 3pm? (Trying to figure out when to plan my train back to school)
Mine was the same time, but it did go a little later. I would plan a bit of buffer time, but I can't see it going later than 3:30-4!