-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
anyone know when II's are going out?
Check back a few posts, friend! They've already started going out!
Not to me though...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many people who got II's sent updates?
...just curious
Yes
I sent in a hand-calligraphed epic poem about my gap year activities. /s
maybe Seton Hall can show some love for the big east (Georgetown, St Johns, Villanova) undergrads lol
UConn used to be in the big east so I guess no love for me hahaha
Hey, to anyone who got an II. Did you guys get the email with the details for the interview yet?
Just got it!Hey, to anyone who got an II. Did you guys get the email with the details for the interview yet?
Exciting! Best of luck!Asked what the layout of the interview day was, she said a few presentations, lunch, two individual interviews, and a tour. Hope I see a few of you on Tuesday!
Got a call for an interview yesterday and got the email with details today. I'm actually from Maryland so this was a bit of a surprise.
My friends got interviews but half of them aren't even going.
I volunteerMy friends got interviews but half of them aren't even going.
Wait what? Why did they apply then?My friends got interviews but half of them aren't even going.
D
deleted466839
My friends got interviews but half of them aren't even going.
More importantly, did they tell the admissions office that they are not going? LOL.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought that too, but they were offered interview dates on 4/10 or 4/12 which doesn't give them a ton of time.I’m just gonna guess that they started with OOS invites so they have more time for travel plans.
More importantly, did they tell the admissions office that they are not going? LOL.
No, they're SHU premeds that got in places like Rutgers, Mt Sinai, Upitt Etc. Basically only applied because they're SHU undergrads.
I’m just gonna guess that they started with OOS invites so they have more time for travel plans.
Lol pretty sure most of the people I know that applied live in NJ
Oh I didn’t know you were friends with all the applicants lmaoLol pretty sure most of the people I know that applied live in NJ
D
deleted466839
No, they're SHU premeds that got in places like Rutgers, Mt Sinai, Upitt Etc. Basically only applied because they're SHU undergrads.
Understandable as to why they would choose those schools for sure. More curious as to whether they said yes to the SHU II or no. haha!
Last edited by a moderator:
No, they're SHU premeds that got in places like Rutgers, Mt Sinai, Upitt Etc. Basically only applied because they're SHU undergrads.
How do you like the school (assuming you go there)? I went to a very large school for undergrad with a huge campus and know SHU is smaller in size. Is there much to do around the school area or do most people head to NYC if they want something to do on a day off?
Is it worth applying now if they're rolling, trying to get a class together as soon as possible, and have already sent out IIs?
D
deleted787552
Is it worth applying now if they're rolling, trying to get a class together as soon as possible, and have already sent out IIs?
Probably. Only a couple of II have been reported here.
30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!30% discount. NOTE: The discount is not automatically offered - to get it, you have to complete the FAFSA app.
D
deleted466839
30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!
Oh wow you are right lol. Maybe they realized it isn't feasible now, being a new school and all.
YesHas anyone IS (but not SHU undergrad) received an II?
How do you like the school (assuming you go there)? I went to a very large school for undergrad with a huge campus and know SHU is smaller in size. Is there much to do around the school area or do most people head to NYC if they want something to do on a day off?
Don't understand why people look at SHU and say "location, location, location." 1st of all the school is closer to Newark, which is terrible. I live near the city but the school is about 14 miles outside of it. Getting into NYC is always a hassle and people don't go there to party, they usually go to Hoboken because the cost of getting into the city ranges between 4.50- $16 depending on how you go.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can confirm; it's no longer on the website. Perhaps they feel like they don't have to give a discount with the large number of applicants?30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!
Didnt they get $100 mil worth of money to be used for scholarships? I think maybe they realized with so many apps that there would at least be 55 students who are willing to pay the full ticket price to attend.30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!
Their website has changed almost daily since the application season launched, almost no page is the same as it started out. Its possible that they just got people's hopes up about scholarship aid then decided after getting 100M in endowment to back out of it, but I think its more likely that they are still building the financial aid page and the 30% mark could change up or down now that they know their budget so they are still updating it. people who interview and meet with financial aid offices will tell us next week either way lol
I thought the FAFSA was due by April 1st so that’s why they took it down? Only those that have already filled it out are eligible?
Thats really greasy if they are taking away the tuition reduction
everyone who got interviews please ask if the 30 percent thing is still on for the first class. and make sure they know that all of SDN is on to them
II this morning!
Are you from the east coast also?II this morning!
D
deleted787552
Didnt they get $100 mil worth of money to be used for scholarships? I think maybe they realized with so many apps that there would at least be 55 students who are willing to pay the full ticket price to attend.
I doubt they can back out of it now even if they tried. They announced it to the media. It's more likely that they're just updating the website and will stick it back in later
Yikes.30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!
My understanding was that only schools that had already accepted {EDIT: or maybe it's waitlisted?} someone could see where else that person was accepted {waitlisted?}, and not until April 30... Am I mistaken? Pretty sure that acceptances aren't just open for any school to see...I’m curious if they look into whether the applicant has acceptances to other schools (which they can see now that its April) and use that as one of their many determining factors.
D
deleted787552
My understanding was that only schools that had already accepted {EDIT: or maybe it's waitlisted?} someone could see where else that person was accepted {waitlisted?}, and not until April 30... Am I mistaken? Pretty sure that acceptances aren't just open for any school to see...
This has been happening since February. Med schools can only see where you've been accepted after they accept you
D
deleted787552
For anyone else that was curious. "SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate." I think even on par with Mayo
EDIT- I was quoting this from the article. Added the quotes people
EDIT- I was quoting this from the article. Added the quotes people
Last edited by a moderator:
I mean they're gonna accept more than 55 people.... probably closer to 120For anyone else that was curious. SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate. I think even on par with Mayo
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nooo... Mayo gets 8000 applications: https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ical-schools-with-the-lowest-acceptance-ratesFor anyone else that was curious. SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate. I think even on par with Mayo
Do you remember when you sent in your app?II this morning!
For anyone else that was curious. SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate. I think even on par with Mayo
thats not how it works. for 55 seats, they will interview about 300 and accept 150 knowing many will not accept. right now the acceptance rate would be around 9 percent
This has been happening since February. Med schools can only see where you've been accepted after they accept you
Yes it’s true that starting in Feb, they can see where else their accepted applicants have been admitted to. But as gyngyn mentioned on several threads previously, on April 1st, all medical schools can see where else you have been accepted to regardless of your status.
@medschoolzombie @jazzmetal
I don’t think they’re going to offer 150 acceptances this late in the cycle, they’d have to be really concerned about overfilling, especially considering so many applying here potentially don’t have offers elsewherethats not how it works. for 55 seats, they will interview about 300 and accept 150 knowing many will not accept. right now the acceptance rate would be around 9 percent