2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know when II's are going out?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How many people who got II's sent updates?

...just curious

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, to anyone who got an II. Did you guys get the email with the details for the interview yet?

Asked what the layout of the interview day was, she said a few presentations, lunch, two individual interviews, and a tour. Hope I see a few of you on Tuesday!

Got a call for an interview yesterday and got the email with details today. I'm actually from Maryland so this was a bit of a surprise.

Reactions: 5 users
My friends got interviews but half of them aren't even going.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed that all the people who got II's so far are OOS. Anybody from IS received an II?

And of course, congratulations on everyone who got the II! Best of luck!

Last edited:
I’m just gonna guess that they started with OOS invites so they have more time for travel plans.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m just gonna guess that they started with OOS invites so they have more time for travel plans.
I thought that too, but they were offered interview dates on 4/10 or 4/12 which doesn't give them a ton of time.

I’m as OOS as it gets (California) and no love #laughs.

More importantly, did they tell the admissions office that they are not going? LOL.

No, they're SHU premeds that got in places like Rutgers, Mt Sinai, Upitt Etc. Basically only applied because they're SHU undergrads.

Lol pretty sure most of the people I know that applied live in NJ

No, they're SHU premeds that got in places like Rutgers, Mt Sinai, Upitt Etc. Basically only applied because they're SHU undergrads.

Understandable as to why they would choose those schools for sure. More curious as to whether they said yes to the SHU II or no. haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

How do you like the school (assuming you go there)? I went to a very large school for undergrad with a huge campus and know SHU is smaller in size. Is there much to do around the school area or do most people head to NYC if they want something to do on a day off?

Is it worth applying now if they're rolling, trying to get a class together as soon as possible, and have already sent out IIs?

30% discount. NOTE: The discount is not automatically offered - to get it, you have to complete the FAFSA app.
30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!

30% discount who complete the FAFSA is not in the website now, which means they are not offering that any more.Any one notice this one!!!!!!!

Oh wow you are right lol. Maybe they realized it isn't feasible now, being a new school and all.

I think everyone who got an II had a 70+ LM. Hopefully there is a chance for the sub 70 people later on

Has anyone IS (but not SHU undergrad) received an II?

How do you like the school (assuming you go there)? I went to a very large school for undergrad with a huge campus and know SHU is smaller in size. Is there much to do around the school area or do most people head to NYC if they want something to do on a day off?

Don't understand why people look at SHU and say "location, location, location." 1st of all the school is closer to Newark, which is terrible. I live near the city but the school is about 14 miles outside of it. Getting into NYC is always a hassle and people don't go there to party, they usually go to Hoboken because the cost of getting into the city ranges between 4.50- $16 depending on how you go.

I can confirm; it's no longer on the website. Perhaps they feel like they don't have to give a discount with the large number of applicants?

Didnt they get $100 mil worth of money to be used for scholarships? I think maybe they realized with so many apps that there would at least be 55 students who are willing to pay the full ticket price to attend.

Their website has changed almost daily since the application season launched, almost no page is the same as it started out. Its possible that they just got people's hopes up about scholarship aid then decided after getting 100M in endowment to back out of it, but I think its more likely that they are still building the financial aid page and the 30% mark could change up or down now that they know their budget so they are still updating it. people who interview and meet with financial aid offices will tell us next week either way lol

I’m curious if they look into whether the applicant has acceptances to other schools (which they can see now that its April) and use that as one of their many determining factors.

I thought the FAFSA was due by April 1st so that’s why they took it down? Only those that have already filled it out are eligible?

everyone who got interviews please ask if the 30 percent thing is still on for the first class. and make sure they know that all of SDN is on to them

Reactions: 7 users
Didnt they get $100 mil worth of money to be used for scholarships? I think maybe they realized with so many apps that there would at least be 55 students who are willing to pay the full ticket price to attend.

I doubt they can back out of it now even if they tried. They announced it to the media. It's more likely that they're just updating the website and will stick it back in later

I’m curious if they look into whether the applicant has acceptances to other schools (which they can see now that its April) and use that as one of their many determining factors.
My understanding was that only schools that had already accepted {EDIT: or maybe it's waitlisted?} someone could see where else that person was accepted {waitlisted?}, and not until April 30... Am I mistaken? Pretty sure that acceptances aren't just open for any school to see...

My understanding was that only schools that had already accepted {EDIT: or maybe it's waitlisted?} someone could see where else that person was accepted {waitlisted?}, and not until April 30... Am I mistaken? Pretty sure that acceptances aren't just open for any school to see...

This has been happening since February. Med schools can only see where you've been accepted after they accept you

For anyone else that was curious. "SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate." I think even on par with Mayo

EDIT- I was quoting this from the article. Added the quotes people

Last edited:
For anyone else that was curious. SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate. I think even on par with Mayo
I mean they're gonna accept more than 55 people.... probably closer to 120

Last edited:
For anyone else that was curious. SHU has recieved aroun 1700 apps thus far making it one of the most competitive med schools in the country at a 3.3% acceptance rate. I think even on par with Mayo

thats not how it works. for 55 seats, they will interview about 300 and accept 150 knowing many will not accept. right now the acceptance rate would be around 9 percent

This has been happening since February. Med schools can only see where you've been accepted after they accept you

Yes it’s true that starting in Feb, they can see where else their accepted applicants have been admitted to. But as gyngyn mentioned on several threads previously, on April 1st, all medical schools can see where else you have been accepted to regardless of your status.

@medschoolzombie @jazzmetal

thats not how it works. for 55 seats, they will interview about 300 and accept 150 knowing many will not accept. right now the acceptance rate would be around 9 percent
I don’t think they’re going to offer 150 acceptances this late in the cycle, they’d have to be really concerned about overfilling, especially considering so many applying here potentially don’t have offers elsewhere