2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
being part of an inaugural class means you understand there will be bumps and hurdles to overcome along the way but that you will succeed if your open to change and like to thrive in uncertain environments, thus seeing opportunity where others see risk....with how established both the school and health network are, it would be surprising if the school didn't rapidly gain a solid reputation similar to how Hofstra has climbed the ladder in the public's eye in such a short time frame.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
being part of an inaugural class means you understand there will be bumps and hurdles to overcome along the way but that you will succeed if your open to change and like to thrive in uncertain environments, thus seeing opportunity where others see risk....with how established both the school and health network are, it would be surprising if the school didn't rapidly gain a solid reputation similar to how Hofstra has climbed the ladder in the public's eye in such a short time frame.
I completely agree. But we're talking about the struggles that the first couple classes may face. I just think SHU's unique (if not overly ambitious) curriculum , late app opening and power struggle between Hackensack & SHU may cause other problems to arise. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I just thought it wasn't right to not keep everyone in the loop in regards to what we've been hearing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there any factual data or was alot of it subjective?
I don't quite understand what kind of data you want. Of course it's subjective, but if my own school is saying these things then I guess it's the most accurate subjective statements we have. One of the professors did say that many of the people they've interviewed already have already gotten acceptances elsewhere

Reactions: 6 users
And your professors have intimate knowledge of the medical school? Not being combative I'm just curious.

SHU student here. Our pre-med committee highly advised anyone who already has an acceptance to not go. It's quite a mess over there. Promise I'm not trying to wrongfully deter anyone from going, I'm just relaying info that we get.

I, as a SHU undergrad, agree. The school's dynamic has changed. Unfortunately, money has gotten in the way. The mission is becoming less and less important to the school. Hackensack has more of an influence than Seton Hall. It's the not the school same we thought we were getting. I heard it has become for-profit as well.

I, as a SHU undergrad, agree. The school's dynamic has changed. Unfortunately, money has gotten in the way. The mission is becoming less and less important to the school. Hackensack has more of an influence than Seton Hall. It's the not the school same we thought we were getting. I heard it has become for-profit as well.

Not to be rude but being an shu undergrad means basically nothing. Do you have any insights on why the school is "not the same" as what you thought? Where did you hear it was for profit?

Not to be rude but being an shu undergrad means basically nothing. Do you have any insights on why the school is "not the same" as what you thought? Where did you hear it was for profit?

Okay, my friend. Good for you. What are you expecting...answers from the school's admissions committee? We go the undergraduate campus where most of the board meetings happen and where the staff is well-connected. We are simply offering what we know.

Reactions: 5 users
Huh, that’s interesting to hear. I’d like to know how it’s becoming less mission-based. After hearing from the dean and many others on interview day, they made it quite clear that their mission to better serve members of NJ and others regardless of race or socioeconomic background was their mission and will continue to influence every single decision made at the university. I don’t even remember how many times I heard that on interview day. While Hackensack may have more influence, I do not see the dean veering from her vision any time soon. She was a remarkable lady that doesn’t seem to have a for-profit interest.

Okay, my friend. Good for you. What are you expecting...answers from the school's admissions committee? We go the undergraduate campus where most of the board meetings happen and where the staff is well-connected. We are simply offering what we know.

Right. Like is said I'm not trying to be purposely combative. I am an applicant here like anyone else. I want to know if things are wrong.

What I am trying to distinguish is the rumors among undergrads from concrete, real issues in the school.

SHU has really strong Catholic mission based roots. Freshman are required to volunteer if thats any indication. The mission for this school was supposed to be 1.) more docs in NJ. 2.) a strong mission based pool of students.

Let's put it bluntly. SHU isn't the most prestigious school. Hackensack needed a school though. The original name of the school was Seton Hall- Hackensack Meridian School of medicine. It changed to Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at SHU after more money was being poured by Hackensack. There is less influence from SHU. Hackensack seems to want to go more stats based because of their already solid foundation (which makes sense considering the high stat/OOS students getting interviews from this thread). Dr. Stanton is a wonderful lady and shes a strong believer of the vision of the school, I doubt she will stop fighting for that.

We're a really small school and faculty here are involved in the medical school as well. We have lecturers who already teach at Hackensack due to our nursing, PA and PT program that also contribute a lot of insight to the school. You can take or leave what I said. I dont care. But I just wanted to shed some light on what I've observed and know.

I see. Personally I am an OOS interviewee so none of those things concern me.

But I can see how that would disappoint shu/nj residents .

Let's put it bluntly. SHU isn't the most prestigious school. Hackensack needed a school though. The original name of the school was Seton Hall- Hackensack Meridian School of medicine. It changed to Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at SHU after more money was being poured by Hackensack. There is less influence from SHU. Hackensack seems to want to go more stats based because of their already solid foundation (which makes sense considering the high stat/OOS students getting interviews from this thread). Dr. Stanton is a wonderful lady and shes a strong believer of the vision of the school, I doubt she will stop fighting for that.

I genuinely hope a lot of what I say is wrong because I want SHU's mission to be part of the medical school. I'm just offering a different insight on the unique aspects of this program/history

Wow! I never realized they changed their name to Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine. Do you know when this change occurred?
Damn, now it makes sense why so many high stat/OOS students are getting interviews. But yeah, I hope what you said is wrong too. Thank you very much for your insights!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe this is why the 30k discount was taken off the site ? If it's becoming a for-profit school, I doubt they'd give out free money. Overall it does sound like a mess over there

SHU student here. Our pre-med committee highly advised anyone who already has an acceptance to not go. It's quite a mess over there. Promise I'm not trying to wrongfully deter anyone from going, I'm just relaying info that we get.

Don't really think the head of the pre-med committee is that competent. Heard she made some person apply to 9 top ten schools resulting in rejection from all of them. Even though he/she had good stats.

Last edited:
Don't really think the head of the pre-med committee is that competent. Heard she made some guy apply to 9 top ten schools resulting in rejection from all of them. Even though he had good stats.

She cant 'make' someone only apply to 9 schools. Its partially the applicants fault for not doing his own research. I agree though, thats some weak advising

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe this is why the 30k discount was taken off the site ? If it's becoming a for-profit school, I doubt they'd give out free money. Overall it does sound like a mess over there
I believe someone who went to the interview day confirmed that the 30% scholarship was still on the table.

She's difficult to work with, yes. But she does her job. I wouldn't call someone incompetent just because you heard one situation about one person. She has def insisted on me applying to certain schools but she's never told me not to apply to more. So it's his fault. She has gotten plenty of people into medical school as your previous posts have implied.
Yeah the person got into the schools that they picked, but again she recommended all those schools. Even with research if your pre-med committee head is telling you "here's a list of schools I think you should apply to" and they end up being a good amount of top 10, then I wouldn't blame the person, I would assume the person knew she had connections and an understanding. She's a poor adviser anyhow. Doesn't respond to emails until 2 months on average and can't give much insight unless you've done okay on the MCAT and then she will show slight effort. It's not one instance, I've heard several, this one case where she told the person about the elite schools was just a terrible job, probably because that person did stellar on the MCAT.

All in all the interview day was very impressive! The building is brand new and still being set up, but they are putting in some impressive equipment from the simulation centers to the anatomy lab to the TBL rooms. The dean is a gem and really sells the school and the 3+1 program. Seems like HMH will really take care of their own for residencies, especially if you want to graduate in 3 and go straight to residency.

30% off inaugural class tuition is still on the table (roughly $17,000 off) and no, the class will not be filled with 30% Seton Hall undergrads. In the future, they are looking to implement that later on with their 4+3 program. Both interviews were very casual - variety of doctors (MD and DO), someone had a lawyer, and others. Hopefully will be hearing back in 2-3 weeks!
Here is the confirmation that the 30% off tuition is still on the table.

Do we know they are admitting 55ish? The msar says 75.

Thanks.

can anyone who attended an interview last week let us know exactly what building the interview day is in? The campus seems rather spread out and mildly confusing with the ongoing construction

can anyone who attended an interview last week let us know exactly what building the interview day is in? The campus seems rather spread out and mildly confusing with the ongoing construction

I thought the "campus" was just the one building.

I don't interview till later in the month though.

It would be awesome if it was 75 students but I think it's 55. Just want to confirm the area code of the II phone call. It was 973 right?

There's a sign next to the building that says School of Medicine, but an admissions lady was standing near it to direct you to the right parking lot.

Formally received an II today (after missing the call on Friday). LM 73. Both OOS and out of region.

Reactions: 4 users
Seton Hall no longer sharing cost of new medical school with Hackensack Meridian

This confirms a lot of what has been said
  • Seton Hall no longer very involved
  • Name changed
  • 30% tuition reduction for everyone sounds iffy at best, looks like more case by case
  • 1900 applications so far
  • acceptances going out in a "week or two"
  • "Eventually, the school will be administered solely by Hackensack Meridian Health after a defined transition process"
  • One-quarter of the class accepted each year will be set aside for Seton Hall students

Reactions: 6 users
the 30% reduction is still on the table though
But is it for everyone that fills a FAFSA? I definitely think financial aid is on the table, perhaps greater than 30% for some applicants

It is clear that Hackensack will aim for the best possible students

Just received confirmation email regarding that the school is mainly funded by HUMC and will transi
Seton Hall no longer sharing cost of new medical school with Hackensack Meridian

This confirms a lot of what has been said
  • Seton Hall no longer very involved
  • Name changed
  • 30% tuition reduction for everyone sounds iffy at best, looks like more case by case
  • 1900 applications so far
  • acceptances going out in a "week or two"
  • "Eventually, the school will be administered solely by Hackensack Meridian Health after a defined transition process"
  • One-quarter of the class accepted each year will be set aside for Seton Hall students

Received an email from the president about this as well.

But is it for everyone that fills a FAFSA? I definitely think financial aid is on the table, perhaps greater than 30% for some applicants

Yeah, it’s in the financial aid packet they give you on interview day. Fill out FAFSA and get 30% off, roughly $17,000. There are other scholarships available that will be need and merit-based. Nothing more than FAFSA is needed in order to be considered for further aid. And they are planning on having the award packets ready to go with your acceptance.

Yeah, it’s in the financial aid packet they give you on interview day. Fill out FAFSA and get 30% off, roughly $17,000. There are other scholarships available that will be need and merit-based. Nothing more than FAFSA is needed in order to be considered for further aid. And they are planning on having the award packets ready to go with your acceptance.
This is great then, thank you for confirming!
When did they tell you to submit fafsa?

You should submit asap. Esp for this cycle .
Should you submit for FAFSA when you don't even know if you received an acceptance from that school? If so, do you input the Seton Hall school code?
Edit: Thank you, 7331poas, for the response below! It makes sense now!

Last edited:
Should you submit for FAFSA when you don't even know if you received an acceptance from that school? If so, do you input the Seton Hall school code?

What do you mean? You fill out your fasfa at the beginning of cycle. As far as sending it to schools, it's as simple as going back into your FASFA application and designating seton Hall. The main thing is having your FASFA already sent and verified by the federal government

Now granted, if you haven't been admitted to send Hall you don't need to submit the application there. But you should probably have the FAFSA in general filled out

Has anyone here interviewed yet? Any thoughts on interview day?

Also is it reasonably Lyft-able to go from Newark airport to the campus?

The point of the link is to send an update. How are people writing an essay with no prompt haha. There is no need to write an essay stating youre interested, if you applied, they know youre interested

That’s what i was thinking. The updated essay may be for an updated personal statement, if something significant has changed in the one you submitted a year ago. Otherwise it would seem odd to send in a random essay.

Yes, I think if you can tie in something like "this is how these new experiences have affected my desire to go to med school/etc" then you could tie it in nicely with an update, but it seems a little strange to just send them a diversity essay or w/e.

I’d shy away from sending in excessive content, just to send it. I mean that’s where you have the “volunteer/work experiences” essay for.

Jesus christ. The school puts up a link for updates and you people write extra essays hoping it will boost chances. come on peeps

Bored and been reading through the past messages but I wanted to comment on these. (Sorry if it’s already been addressed)

No it’s not a waste of time to write an essay/update letter ESPECIALLY for this school since they have no secondaries. Your updates and letters of interest should be specifically tailored towards what makes you a good candidate for this school. Another thing worth addressing is qualities/characteristics you will contribute to the inaugural class to help establish the traditions, culture, and history of the school.

Last edited:
sounds like with the confirmation about Hackensack taking over the program, the emphasis on the mission as represented by the Catholic roots of Seton Hall may no longer exist. Looks like it may end up just being another medical school seeking top metric applicants without really sticking to a mission. Not a fan b/c I really thought with SHU being involved it would help give this program a great niche and the potential for differentiated and meaningful impact.

sounds like with the confirmation about Hackensack taking over the program, the emphasis on the mission as represented by the Catholic roots of Seton Hall may no longer exist. Looks like it may end up just being another medical school seeking top metric applicants without really sticking to a mission. Not a fan b/c I really thought with SHU being involved it would help give this program a great niche and the potential for differentiated and meaningful impact.
That may be a good question to ask admissions, "Has the mission changed or been modified now that Hackensack is footing the bill?"

The article that was linked above still mentions the endowment is on the table too, so if you combine that with previous knowledge, the 30% will most likely be for all and then others could get more scholarships on top of that

That may be a good question to ask admissions, "Has the mission changed or been modified now that Hackensack is footing the bill?"
feels like it is implied based on the article, removal of information on the site, clear trend in II for high metric applicants, and the emphasis on private funding and Hackensack seeking to make it a top school with top applicants. Looks like as of July 1, SHU will no longer be involved financially and at some point I wouldn't be surprised to see the SHU name completely dropped out of the school if all funding is from Hackensack. Also, you'll notice the key word "at" in the new title of the school instead of the word "of" likely implying that SHU is just the physical location where Hackensack's privately funded program is taking place....therefore no longer connected or responsible for emphasizing the Catholic mission of SHU.

feels like it is implied based on the article, removal of information on the site, clear trend in II for high metric applicants, and the emphasis on private funding and Hackensack seeking to make it a top school with top applicants. Looks like as of July 1, SHU will no longer be involved financially and at some point I wouldn't be surprised to see the SHU name completely dropped out of the school if all funding is from Hackensack. Also, you'll notice the key word "at" in the new title of the school instead of the word "of" likely implying that SHU is just the physical location where Hackensack's privately funded program is taking place....therefore no longer connected or responsible for emphasizing the Catholic mission of SHU.

SHU is literally just a location for the actual school and because they need an academic institution according to the article. They're still in charge of handing out diplomas with the SHU name so I can't imagine them being kicked off but no doubt Hackensack will have the final say in any decisions. Ya I doubt the mission will stay the same too