Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2018)' started by gyngyn, Mar 21, 2018.

1. pmlmu13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Formally received an II today (after missing the call on Friday). LM 73. Both OOS and out of region.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    Seton Hall no longer sharing cost of new medical school with Hackensack Meridian

This confirms a lot of what has been said
    • Seton Hall no longer very involved
    • Name changed
    • 30% tuition reduction for everyone sounds iffy at best, looks like more case by case
    • 1900 applications so far
    • acceptances going out in a "week or two"
    • "Eventually, the school will be administered solely by Hackensack Meridian Health after a defined transition process"
    • One-quarter of the class accepted each year will be set aside for Seton Hall students

4. euronsilence

the 30% reduction is still on the table though

5. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    But is it for everyone that fills a FAFSA? I definitely think financial aid is on the table, perhaps greater than 30% for some applicants

It is clear that Hackensack will aim for the best possible students

6. herrprofessordoktor

Medical Student
    II earlier today, IS, LM 73, grew up like 10 miles from HUMC.

BurntFlower and jazzmetal like this.
  7. NYCking

Pre-Medical
    Just received confirmation email regarding that the school is mainly funded by HUMC and will transi
    Received an email from the president about this as well.

8. Squeaks

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, it’s in the financial aid packet they give you on interview day. Fill out FAFSA and get 30% off, roughly $17,000. There are other scholarships available that will be need and merit-based. Nothing more than FAFSA is needed in order to be considered for further aid. And they are planning on having the award packets ready to go with your acceptance.

9. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I see nothing to suggest that

10. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    This is great then, thank you for confirming!
    When did they tell you to submit fafsa?

11. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should submit asap. Esp for this cycle .

12. Asherawh

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Should you submit for FAFSA when you don't even know if you received an acceptance from that school? If so, do you input the Seton Hall school code?
    Edit: Thank you, 7331poas, for the response below! It makes sense now!

#861 Asherawh, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What do you mean? You fill out your fasfa at the beginning of cycle. As far as sending it to schools, it's as simple as going back into your FASFA application and designating seton Hall. The main thing is having your FASFA already sent and verified by the federal government

Now granted, if you haven't been admitted to send Hall you don't need to submit the application there. But you should probably have the FAFSA in general filled out

Asherawh likes this.
  14. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone here interviewed yet? Any thoughts on interview day?

Also is it reasonably Lyft-able to go from Newark airport to the campus?

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  15. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Pilgrim Fulfilling a Personal Legend
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Bored and been reading through the past messages but I wanted to comment on these. (Sorry if it’s already been addressed)

No it’s not a waste of time to write an essay/update letter ESPECIALLY for this school since they have no secondaries. Your updates and letters of interest should be specifically tailored towards what makes you a good candidate for this school. Another thing worth addressing is qualities/characteristics you will contribute to the inaugural class to help establish the traditions, culture, and history of the school.

#864 Melchizedek, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  16. humblethinker

Medical Student
    sounds like with the confirmation about Hackensack taking over the program, the emphasis on the mission as represented by the Catholic roots of Seton Hall may no longer exist. Looks like it may end up just being another medical school seeking top metric applicants without really sticking to a mission. Not a fan b/c I really thought with SHU being involved it would help give this program a great niche and the potential for differentiated and meaningful impact.

Grandmaster Flex likes this.
  17. Asherawh

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    That may be a good question to ask admissions, "Has the mission changed or been modified now that Hackensack is footing the bill?"

18. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The article that was linked above still mentions the endowment is on the table too, so if you combine that with previous knowledge, the 30% will most likely be for all and then others could get more scholarships on top of that

19. humblethinker

Medical Student
    feels like it is implied based on the article, removal of information on the site, clear trend in II for high metric applicants, and the emphasis on private funding and Hackensack seeking to make it a top school with top applicants. Looks like as of July 1, SHU will no longer be involved financially and at some point I wouldn't be surprised to see the SHU name completely dropped out of the school if all funding is from Hackensack. Also, you'll notice the key word "at" in the new title of the school instead of the word "of" likely implying that SHU is just the physical location where Hackensack's privately funded program is taking place....therefore no longer connected or responsible for emphasizing the Catholic mission of SHU.

DelayedGratification likes this.
  20. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    SHU is literally just a location for the actual school and because they need an academic institution according to the article. They're still in charge of handing out diplomas with the SHU name so I can't imagine them being kicked off but no doubt Hackensack will have the final say in any decisions. Ya I doubt the mission will stay the same too

21. humblethinker

Medical Student
    from what I gathered, the dean is really genuine....my guess is at heart she is really dissapointed by all of this but this is the reality of the power of money---- good missions fade b/c they are usually started by people or places who can't financially sustain them and that is b/c the types of people that start heavy mission driven ideas are not motivated by money and are more motivated by valuing others and the community over making a top dollar. I wonder if the rumor someone posted earlier about Hackensack making it a "for profit" is true? If so, it would be a complete pivot away from all the mission driven ideas that were discussed over the years in which this program was being developed. There are a bunch of YouTube videos from the past three years where the genuine sense of sticking to the mission was conveyed.....as someone who followed the development closely and had high hopes for the program, there is definitely a sense of frustration seeing the power of the dollar come to light in this situation.

22. Basil246

Medical Student
    I think there is no way to say there’s a clear trend of IIs for high metric applicants. SDN is a just a section of the population that there’s no way to generalize that. Even if there is, I don’t think that in anyway reflects them straying from their mission. I think every medical school, regardless of their mission, tries to interview applicants with high metrics. Who can blame a new medical school especially for doing that? They’re trying to gain some credibility, but I’m sure that’s not all they’re looking at. I’m sure there will be low or average stat people interviewed and accepted, as well as high stat people who don’t get an II or get rejected post II because they didn’t fit the program. We can’t say exactly what this school wants from students until the cycle is done and we have the data to prove it. Until then, let’s not criticize them for doing what basically every other medical school does.

23. humblethinker

Medical Student
    I agree, the point was more that there is a trend on here for high stat II. But overall, everything appears to be moving in a direction where I think it is fair to say we now might have less confidence in the program adhering to the initial mission it had during its developmental stages over the last few years.

24. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    What does for profit med school mean? Like what are other examples of med schools that are considered for profit? Don’t most med schools other than a few public ones in like Texas have high tuitions?

25. oktaisnice

Pre-Medical
    The high amount of OOS interviews alone should let you know that the school is focusing on becoming more stat based. But can you blame them? There is nothing wrong with the school wanting to admit the best students. However, it is slightly disappointing (for us NJ residents and SHU students) to see HSM steering away from Seton Hall's original mission. Money talks. That doesn't mean HSM is some evil corporation. They just want students who have shown they can produce.

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  26. futureDr.funnylookin

Pre-Medical
    Allright, high stats and fitting this schools mission are not mutually exclusive, same goes for being OOS. They want to help alleviate the physician shortage in New Jersey, and they quote numerous times that people who go to med school in NJ, and do Residency in NJ tend to practice in NJ. So they don’t need to take people who grew up in NJ to alleviate the physician shortage, they know that even if your from across the country, if you do school and residency here (like by taking advantage of their three year into Hackensack option) you will likely practice here. And the other mission they have seemed to really care about is teaching and appreciating all the social, economical, and contextual determinants of health besides medical care. One need not have a certain lizzym score to fit this mission and show a history of empathy for these things. If a high stats person wants to go to school here and shows an interest in the socioeconomic determinants of health, I would hope for the schools sake they would be chosen over a lower stats but otherwise equivalent counterpart. Basically, we can’t make any judgments about them sticking to their mission or not just because they interviewing high stats, and OOS’s

Omg, sorry so long

27. ineedhelpplse

Pre-Medical
    People are just salty they didn’t get interviews. Although it is a bit unfortunate about the changing Seton Hall - Hackensack financial situation imo.

Venusian likes this.
  28. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Oh dear me, how ever so will I fulfill my role as a physician without adhering to the good and pure morals of the Christian faith. Truly I need the guidance of shu to lead me down the path of Christ in order to deliver effective Medical Care.

Give me a break. Every school in the country wants the same thing. Even schools that purportedly, "serve the state" do similar things as other schools that serve "the region". Do you think Yale doesn't care about New Haven? Or the same for other "top" schools and their respective regions?

Is Pittsburgh worse for Pennsylvania than UNC is for North Carolina simply because they admit higher stats students? I don't agree with that statement.

29. oktaisnice

Pre-Medical

Whose mans is this?

30. Grandmaster Flex

Pre-Medical
    So I was triggered before on your last comment. But now I'm Uber triggered with your apathy towards SHU's holy teachings. #onlyshucanshowyoutheway

31. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Emma Watson's

I wish

Melchizedek likes this.
  32. humblethinker

Medical Student
    The point is, when videos like the ones listed below were posted years ago about the developing school, there appeared to be a genuine commitment to embracing the Seton Hall core values and ensuring they were a focus within medical education at the program.
    Here are the YouTube links so you can compare the "then" vs "now" and how different the school might actually be relative to the expectations during the course of its development.

33. that kid

that kid Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    Any acceptances yet? Also, would it be worth it for me to apply this late? I just heard about the school.

34. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The way it was explained to me : It means exactly that. They're for profit. For-profits aren't funded by taxpayers...they're funded by investors. Unless you count Pell grant money...then they're funded by both. All sorts of ethics come into play, such as: which takes precedence, profit or education? From what I understand about the corporate world, for-profit schools ideally would be concerned with maximum efficiency. How to turn out adequate physicians and keep their doors open so they keep making money for investors. They follow a business model usually at the expense of student satisfaction/prioritization to maximize profits . They also tendency of admitting large numbers of students yet they have specific numbers they require at each stage as you progress.

They say their true goal is to help fight the shortage of healthcare providers in underserved areas. Whether that's legitimate or not probably depends on the school. Also, many of these students that attend a for-profit are ineligible for many federal loan repayment/forgiveness options.

The best examples I can think of are the Caribbean schools, but CNU is an MD for-profit school (but I don't think they have federal loan status)

Having a high tuition doesn't make it a for-profit school. I think the only reason Texas has low rates is because they're subsidized by the government probably on the condition that they primarily accept texas people

35. humblethinker

Medical Student
    MD: California Northstate University College of Medicine
    DO: Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
    DO: Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
    DO: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine

For profit status means the primary reason for operation is to make money after paying all the debts due to anyone involved with funding the school. The ethical issue is that it is possible there are sacrifices made to increase the bottom line as opposed to ensuring the best quality education. Federal loans are not available at for profit schools.

36. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    Federal loans can become available after 2 years of the programs continued existence. RVU has loans

37. euronsilence

Its not a for profit school.

LavarBall likes this.
  38. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    yeah this. This school isn't changing its status from not for profit to for profit. However, even as a not for profit school, you can bet they will look at the bottom line.

Basil246 likes this.
  39. 7331poas

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Both non-profit and for-profit schools receive private funding. Also both can receive public funding as well. Even private schools receive public funding.

You don't think non-profit hospitals are concerned with their financials?

The difference between non-profit hopsitals and for-profit are one gives their profits to investors, the other uses it to build a waterfall display in their lobby (or they simply write off their profits as bonuses to the people who want the profitable portion).

Incorrect.

Also Kaiser which many are stating has the possibility of being a top program.

being for profit absolutely does not bar federal aid possibilities.

40. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    Is CNU for profit because they have been open for longer than 2 years and they still don’t give federal loans?

41. PerpetualPremed

Pre-Medical
    I believe they're for profit because that's what the founders wanted

42. humblethinker

Medical Student
    but for some reason a bunch of founding faculty and dean jumped and moved on to CalMed

43. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    Yeah they are eligible to apply for federal loans, they were actually eligible before they opened the medical school because they already had a pharmacy school, but they don't want to apply for whatever reason, presumably associated costs.

44. NYCking

Pre-Medical
    You triggered some people. Good thing this isn't a Loma Linda forum or you would've been torn apart. But I agree with your statement.

45. futureDr.funnylookin

Pre-Medical
    So some people had interviews today, and last week. Let's get some interview feedback! What you liked, what you didn't like, how the actual interviews went. Just you general ramblings/impressions. I would love to hear.

46. lolahola

Pre-Medical

I understand the many cons of Caribbean schools. But schools like CNU might not care about their students as much as other US md schools but would these for profit school students get stigmatized against during residency match? Is that why people are worried about SHU possibly being for profit?

#895 lolahola, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  47. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    No the PD could care less about profit or no profit. Your clerkships and step scores will mean everything. However if you become malignant like CNU, then it maaaaay affect you, but likely not

48. Xxmedxx

R we able to take out federal loans potentially with this program?

49. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not sure if they’d be stigmatized but it sounds like that could be a very valid concern. Your step scores could become what defines you and if it’s anything like the Caribbean ,you may be kicked out if you don’t meet a certain threshold

50. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For SHU yes last I heard

Xxmedxx likes this.
  51. Xxmedxx

Got interview offer Monday for May 1 LM score ~66 from nj