2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received Call today.
Literally crying OMG OMG ACCEPTED...
Interviewed Last Tuesday

Okay, this makes me feel better

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, they said it would vary depending on the day and topic, you might be done between 12-3 during the week. A lot of the Human Dimension doesn’t need to be completed on campus. It might involve making calls to your families or meeting up with them off campus.
oh awesome. ok. very cool. do you think there are any days where you wouldn't have to attend at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh awesome. ok. very cool. do you think there are any days where you wouldn't have to attend at all?

I'm pretty sure for my interview today, they said that most days you would get out either around 12 or actually 11

I'm pretty sure for my interview today, they said that most days you would get out either around 12 or actually 11

every day? or are there some days where its longer and some days where you wouldnt attend at all

It’s mandatory classes and no video recordings. They want to promote a team environment and best way they feel is by being in person. Days don’t seem too long, it all depends on the day.

every day? or are there some days where its longer and some days where you wouldnt attend at all

From what I understand the only day of the week that you could possibly be there later than noon is when you have some sort of lab. I. E. Anatomy pathology etc.

No, I’m pretty sure they made it clear you would be there every day. But mainly mornings.

Just withdrew from my II spot. Hope it goes to one of you lovelies!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! :).
Applied 4/2, interviewed 4/10, and accepted on 4/20.
NY resident, LizzyM 72.5. MCAT 514.
I was very impressed with the school on my interview day and would choose Hackensack over a lot of mediocre well-established MD schools.

I was in the first batch of accepted students, I absolutely love the school and its mission. I'm deciding between here and Rutgers-RWJ. Would anyone choose this school over a well-established med school like RWJ (FYI: Hackensack SOM would be cheaper for me, about 23K less per year).
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the first batch of accepted students, I absolutely love the school and its mission. I'm deciding between here and Rutgers-RWJ. Would anyone choose this school over a well-established med school like RWJ (FYI: Hackensack SOM would be cheaper for me, about 22K).
What are your thoughts?
If it were NJMS, I’d say hell no. But RWJ......that’s tough right there

I was in the first batch of accepted students, I absolutely love the school and its mission. I'm deciding between here and Rutgers-RWJ. Would anyone choose this school over a well-established med school like RWJ (FYI: Hackensack SOM would be cheaper for me, about 23K less per year).
What are your thoughts?
Was in the same exact boat. Decided to go with RWJ instead of taking a chance. RWJ is a well established school and their match list is amazing. Plus lots of stuff question marks from Seton Hall people doesn't really sit well with me. All in all I think the school is great and will be among the best in Jersey in a few years but I wouldn't wanna be the lab rat if I had the choice.

What are your thoughts?

Although there are some pros with an inaugural class, the cons are very real as well- such as no upper-class peers to look up to for guidance and the professors teaching this new curriculum for the very first time. Just something to think about in addition to the money.

What are your thoughts?

I personally am choosing seton hall over another mid-low school. Seton hall will be cheaper, and your match destination is what you make of it.

Also I personally am not concerned with the rumors around seton hall, considering that they ostensibly are not apart of the medical school decision making process anyway. I suspect there is some level of bitterness there.

I just withdrew my acceptance. I am actually pretty sad about it, but it's just not the right choice for me at this point. I am super happy for whoever takes my place. This school is incredible.

I didn't share my interview experience when it happened but here it is:

The dean is an amazing woman. You could tell that she really believes in the mission. When asked if the school would ever change from non-profit to for-profit, she said there was a 0% chance. Every presenter was enthusiastic and excited about the school. The whole day was organized well and thoroughly answered any questions I may have had.

The campus is the best out of all of my interviews. It is massive, beautiful, and in a great neighborhood. Not every part of the school was a finished product. We had our first presentation, left for interviews, then came back to the presentation room; during that time they had painted the hallway where the presentation room was. It wasn't super unfinished, but with the kind of pace they were moving at, I don't foresee that being an issue for the incoming class. Also, they thought of a lot of little things. There are outlets EVERYWHERE. The hallways have benches with outlets. Everything has outlets.

My favorite part of the day was actually my interview. There were a few structured questions, but for the most part it was conversational. I literally told them that the situation did not apply to my experiences for one of the structured questions and I still got accepted. My second interviewer and I really clicked. She is one of the professors and I am jealous that other people are going to have her and I am not going to.

The school seems to be still focused on the original mission. There was no indication that they are moving away from it. My application is very closely tied with their mission.

From what I can tell the medical school is not the **** show that some people fear it might be. It seems like there is a lot of chatter that has mostly originated from the Seton Hall community, but think that has more to do with their partnership dissolving than the school itself.

I hope this is helpful.

Reactions: 13 users
XWolfX, where did you decide to go?

Mary19637, there are about 248 interview slots for 60 people, so I think you definitely have a chance! Several people on this thread alone have turned down their interviews or admissions. Plus, they have several June interviews so you have a good chance

Reactions: 1 users

Mary19637, there are about 248 interview slots for 60 people, so I think you definitely have a chance! Several people on this thread alone have turned down their interviews or admissions. Plus, they have several June interviews so you have a good chance

I just love how you support everyone! I hope you get an acceptance!

Do u guys think having a strong research background will help/ hurt/ neutral with this school

Do u guys think having a strong research background will help/ hurt/ neutral with this school
They really didn’t stress research during my interview day... And even when I mentioned my research experiences during my interviews they seemed to care less about talking/hearing about it. So I’ll go with neutral, or might help a little.

I have a lot of research experience and I talked about it during my interview but more regarding how that experience pertains to patient care. I think they are pretty neutral about it.

NJMS is a much better school that RWJ in my opinion. When I was an undergrad, RWJ was always known as “the back up.”

I'm trying to decide between doing ED at NJMS and applying here next cycle and im having a really hard time

NJMS is a much better school that RWJ in my opinion. When I was an undergrad, RWJ was always known as “the back up.”

Not to be rude or anything, but that's never been the case
RWJ has had more research, better match placements, and a much higher ranking nationally for as long as it's been around (founded a few years after NJMS)

NJMS is getting a lot better and has effectively closed the gap, but RWJ is still tops in the state historically

Source: 3 generations of NJMS/RWJ educated doctors in my family

I wrote a couple updates paragraphs of updates and snuck in 2-4 lines of "interest" letter stuff and received interviews at the 3 new schools. N=1, but it doesn't hurt to do it!! I tried not to sound desperate, just emphasized why I match with what they're looking for.

Did you go this through the update section on the website?

Soooo, if we never heard back after our interview are we rejected?

I could be wrong but I think they said u can be accepted up until the beginning of July I guess like if somehow they don’t fill the class with their initial rounds of acceptance or something

interviewed the 17th...still waiting to hear back from here

Feeling discouraged. Does anyone know how many interview spots are left? Has anyone gotten an interview recently?Saw someone posted getting one on Friday. Is there any hope left. I wanted to go to Cal Med but never even got a II there. Thanks.

Same here. Even though I applied on the first day it became possible to do so, I haven't heard anything back. I think my poor stats did me in again.

Time (for me) to retake the MCAT and work on reapplying!

It's probable that they immediately inform the people they admit the week after the interview date. Then if they're not sure, they'll come back to your application in subsequent meetings. Then at a certain date will send up waitlist information and rejections.

Fingers crossed. Hoping for movement

did anyone else have two completely different interviews?

My first interviewer felt like he was out to get me, my second one was the most pleasant experience ever. Not sure what to think...
Ha, I didn't have quite that experience, but my first interviewer had a more straightforward approach and followed the sheet of questions given to him, whereas my second interviewer was all about getting to know me and wanted to talk a lot about the school and it's goals. Definitely very different interviews.

For those asking about interview spots, they still haven't started filling the June dates and at this point, I'm not sure if they are planning to. While all of the May interview dates are full, it appears they have been adding an applicant here and there. A few of the dates now have 17 applicants versus 16.

Reactions: 4 users
Ha, I didn't have quite that experience, but my first interviewer had a more straightforward approach and followed the sheet of questions given to him, whereas my second interviewer was all about getting to know me and wanted to talk a lot about the school and it's goals. Definitely very different interviews.

For those asking about interview spots, they still haven't started filling the June dates and at this point, I'm not sure if they are planning to. While all of the May interview dates are full, it appears they have been adding an applicant here and there. A few of the dates now have 17 applicants versus 16.
Oh no!!!!!

Just wondering if there is a place to check this or if this is just speculation?

Just wondering if there is a place to check this or if this is just speculation?
People who got interview first week were sent a link that showed interview spots and number of people each spot. But they stopped sending that link for people who got later interviews

did anyone else have two completely different interviews?

My first interviewer felt like he was out to get me, my second one was the most pleasant experience ever. Not sure what to think...
What did the interviewer do to make it seem like he was out to get you?