2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed 4/24 (or after) heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have the list of residencies students will be eligible to enter their 4th year?

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically everything but the most specialized of surgery programs, super lit. Excited for my interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Given that Hackensack Meridian Health is #1 in NJ and #4 in NYC metro area + has experience teaching medical students (NJMS I believe, correct me if i'm wrong), does this provide an advantage for placing at top residency programs even though its a new school?

Just curious if anyone knows this. Do we pay tuition for 4 years or 3 years since it's a 3+1 program.

Just curious if anyone knows this. Do we pay tuition for 4 years or 3 years since it's a 3+1 program.
3 years if you go to residency in your 4th year (you actually start earning in your "4th year" in this case I believe).
4 years if you do any of the other Phase 3 stuff.

I think they even if they had Neurosurgery, you probably won't be able to match it in 3 years.
I wonder how that would work with a lot of competitive specialties then since they all basically need a research year. I'm guessing they'll streamline the process or make research less important

I wonder how that would work with a lot of competitive specialties then since they all basically need a research year. I'm guessing they'll streamline the process or make research less important

What do you mean by research year? My understanding is that a research year isn't really required for any specialty.

The nice thing about the Seton Hall curriculum is that you have a lot of time at the third and fourth year of your education to do research. In fact your entire 4th year is basically open to do whatever you want. It's similar to Duke in that respect now that I think about it.

What do you mean by research year? My understanding is that a research year isn't really required for any specialty.

The nice thing about the Seton Hall curriculum is that you have a lot of time at the third and fourth year of your education to do research. In fact your entire 4th year is basically open to do whatever you want. It's similar to Duke in that respect now that I think about it.
I meant research in general but with this curriculum, there's not much time for research so most would have to take that extra year. Not many would want to do research during dedicated or rotations. Don't know too much about duke but I thought they had a research year before the end

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant research in general but with this curriculum, there's not much time for research so most would have to take that extra year. Not many would want to do research during dedicated or rotations. Don't know too much about duke but I thought they had a research year before the end

Your rotations end in 2.5 years. which means you have essentially one year to do whatever you wish . That doesn't include any projects that you handle during during the first two years.

Even for the most competitive specialties, no more than half of matched applicants actually take research years according to the last derm match .

Maybe for neurosurgery you should probably consider a research year. But there seems to be plenty of time in the curriculum to get out a few papers.

Hey everyone,

My friend without an sdn account asked me to post this:

Hey how’s it going? I’m interviewing tomorrow at seton hall and in the email it says the interview is at 10:30, but it’s not clear if that’s when the interview day starts or when the actual interview is at. I was hoping you could clarify that for me. I tried calling the school but they don’t answer. Thanks in advance

Hey everyone,

My friend without an sdn account asked me to post this:

Hey how’s it going? I’m interviewing tomorrow at seton hall and in the email it says the interview is at 10:30, but it’s not clear if that’s when the interview day starts or when the actual interview is at. I was hoping you could clarify that for me. I tried calling the school but they don’t answer. Thanks in advance
It's when the interview day starts. The actual interview is in afternoon after lunch

Just accepted got the call! My first acceptance! So happy just tears of joy. Bless this school! LizzyM: 72.5.

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed may 1st and just got an acceptance !!! 509, 3.61

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry about my last post was soo happy forgot to put when i interviewed! I interviewed May 1st! 516, 3.73

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for how many people have been accepted already?

I personally am choosing seton hall over another mid-low school. Seton hall will be cheaper, and your match destination is what you make of it.

Also I personally am not concerned with the rumors around seton hall, considering that they ostensibly are not apart of the medical school decision making process anyway. I suspect there is some level of bitterness there.

I'm thinking about academic medicine (so I'd like to match into a top program) and I keep hearing that its better to go to a more established institution. Do you think I'd be at a disadvantage by choosing here over RWJ?

I'm thinking about academic medicine (so I'd like to match into a top program) and I keep hearing that its better to go to a more established institution. Do you think I'd be at a disadvantage by choosing here over RWJ?
I think RWJ would be better as it is established!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree ^^ especially considering the curriculum is still brand new and there's going to be lots of kinks to work out. More than that I'm curious to see how students do on their step one after starting rotations and having preclinical time so crammed.

My dad has a friend on the admissions committee and spoke to her yesterday. Seton Hall got over 2000 applicants and they can only interview about 10% or so. Was told that about 45 spots were offered.
Ok so that’s a little over 200 interviews. They’re most likely gonna overfill lthe class right? So it seems like a safe bet to think they would accept ~85-100 following the 1.5-2x guideline. Other option is they waitlist everyone else after the original 55 but I don’t think anyone here has been waitlisted or even rejected post II

Does anyone know approximately what time the interview day ended?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using SDN mobile

Ok so that’s a little over 200 interviews. They’re most likely gonna overfill lthe class right? So it seems like a safe bet to think they would accept ~85-100 following the 1.5-2x guideline. Other option is they waitlist everyone else after the original 55 but I don’t think anyone here has been waitlisted or even rejected post II
I think it's pretty safe to say if they don't call you by the Friday following your interview week, you're on the "wait list." They're probably just not gonna make an official one since the time is too tight for it to be worthwhile.

For 55 spots, they will almost certainly have to make 110+ offers being a new school and with a lot of waitlist movement drawing away even the people who initially accept the offer. So if you've interviewed or are about to, your chances are quite high (relatively speaking....ahem ahem Mt. Sinai w/ the <25% post-II acceptance rate:mad:).

I think it's pretty safe to say if they don't call you by the Friday following your interview week, you're on the "wait list." They're probably just not gonna make an official one since the time is too tight for it to be worthwhile.

For 55 spots, they will almost certainly have to make 110+ offers being a new school and with a lot of waitlist movement drawing away even the people who initially accept the offer. So if you've interviewed or are about to, your chances are quite high (relatively speaking....ahem ahem Mt. Sinai w/ the <25% post-II acceptance rate:mad:).
I truly don’t think they’ll have to accept so many. I think they’ll have to make 65 maybe 70 offers max. Since it’s so late in the cycle, anyone who even interviews is only doing so because it’s very likely they’ll attend

I truly don’t think they’ll have to accept so many. I think they’ll have to make 65 maybe 70 offers max. Since it’s so late in the cycle, anyone who even interviews is only doing so because it’s very likely they’ll attend
Not necessarily, many people with previous offers (usually the better applicants) are probably fishing for full rides/significant scholarships.

Not necessarily, many people with previous offers (usually the better applicants) are probably fishing for full rides/significant scholarships.
We’ll see, I just can’t imagine anyone going to interview at this point if they weren’t pretty serious about it. But, hey, I’m on the “waitlist” so I’m rooting for any movement

Possible, but considering how very very few med schools including the likes of HMS/Stanford/JHU etc. where scholarship money is pretty abundant rarely crack 60% yield, statistically I am not going to assume a new school will manage so.

hey guys I know I am waaaaaayyy behind the eight ball on this one but does anyone think I have a chance if I apply today, I think I saw somewhere the deadline was may 15th?

Last edited:
hey guys I know I am waaaaaayyy behind the eight ball on this one but does anyone think I have a chance if I apply today, I think I saw somewhere the deadline was may 15th? 3.5 gpa 511 MCAT pretty decent ECs

Well, you have 0% chance if you don't apply.

Reactions: 4 users

Okay but the difference between Harvard and shu is that Seton Hall actually knows if someone's going to attend their school before they admit them. They already have access to the acceptance report, and it's post May 1st, so they know if someone is holding an acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay but the difference between Harvard and shu is that Seton Hall actually knows if someone's going to attend their school before they admit them. They already have access to the acceptance report, and it's post May 1st, so they know if someone is holding an acceptance.

Man you out here crushing dreams n shiz.

My dad has a friend on the admissions committee and spoke to her yesterday. Seton Hall got over 2000 applicants and they can only interview about 10% or so. Was told that about 45 spots were offered.
Hi! Thanks so much for the info! Does 45 means spots were offered or already confirmed attendance. Thanks!

For those who interviewed, does anyone remember the name of the woman who presented about student wellness?

For those who interviewed, does anyone remember the name of the woman who presented about student wellness?

On my interview day, Kate Sheppard presented on wellness. She's the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.

I got the call for an acceptance on Wednesday, 5/9! Interviewed on 5/1. How long did it take people to get their letters in the mail? Also, is there an email to confirm that we get?

Reactions: 2 users
You should get an email with instructions to send in a deposit in the next 2-3 days after the call. I did not receive a letter in the mail. Not sure if I was supposed to.
Cool hopefully I'll get it today. How much is the deposit?