2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if that was just put on the website?!
I think so, in response to all the emails they've most likely been getting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!! I'm thinking the option to submit an updated "essay" will be their version of a secondary, for this cycle. Ok, time to get writing!

What do you guys think the general guideline for the length of the updates essay should be?

What topics are you guys writing these essays on? I have previously written secondaries on my challenges/failures, leadership qualities, my gap years, what kind of physician I aspire to be, diversity, why I want to attend this school, etc. What do you guys think we should submit?

The point of the link is to send an update. How are people writing an essay with no prompt haha. There is no need to write an essay stating youre interested, if you applied, they know youre interested

Reactions: 12 users
The point of the link is to send an update. How are people writing an essay with no prompt haha. There is no need to write an essay stating youre interested, if you applied, they know youre interested

That’s what i was thinking. The updated essay may be for an updated personal statement, if something significant has changed in the one you submitted a year ago. Otherwise it would seem odd to send in a random essay.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s what i was thinking. The updated essay may be for an updated personal statement, if something significant has changed in the one you submitted a year ago. Otherwise it would seem odd to send in a random essay.
Yes, I think if you can tie in something like "this is how these new experiences have affected my desire to go to med school/etc" then you could tie it in nicely with an update, but it seems a little strange to just send them a diversity essay or w/e.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d shy away from sending in excessive content, just to send it. I mean that’s where you have the “volunteer/work experiences” essay for.

Jesus christ. The school puts up a link for updates and you people write extra essays hoping it will boost chances. come on peeps

Reactions: 16 users
This is the best school because it's March and I have no acceptances.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like when they fill the class? Soooooo many Qs
Probably just by their orientation date in mid-July...their handbook says "Applications will be available beginning February 18th, 2018 and must be submitted no later than May 1st, 2018 for enrollment in our inaugural class. Students are selected and notified of their acceptance on a rolling admissions basis beginning April 10th, 2018; therefore, early application is advantageous." But their application was not available until end of March, so everything may accordingly be pushed back a month except I think the AMCAS deadline is still May 1st or 15th for the primary.

Reactions: 1 user
someone knows the admission requirements?

I feel obligated to send an update because I know everyone else will, but I think my update won't add much to my application.

Does anyone know if I can apply if I did not fill out a 2017 AMCAS application? I was planning to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle, but I have my personal statement and LORs sorted and would love to apply if the deadline is in May!

Does anyone know if I can apply if I did not fill out a 2017 AMCAS application? I was planning to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle, but I have my personal statement and LORs sorted and would love to apply if the deadline is in May!

I dont think so because I dont think AMCAS is verifying the 2017 applications anymore

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

premeds gonna premed

Reactions: 5 users
I just realized I submitted my update with lots of activities as the essay option because I thought of it as an "update essay" but it meant "updated essay". Probably should've read the options more carefully. I did mention some of those activities increasing my drive for medicine so I hope that's alright.

If that was possible, I'd be extremely jealous. After having gone through this cycle for almost a year with nothing but wait list after wait list, someone going from applying to being accepted and starting med school all in a 3 month time period just sounds too good to be true.

I feel obligated to send an update because I know everyone else will, but I think my update won't add much to my application.

Submit one if you have somewhat significant updates since you verified your amcas, like graduating or a new job or presenting research.

Good luck everyone! I just finished reading the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal and SHMS has taken out a giant full page ad advertising the addition of the med school in partnership with Meridian Health, it was pretty cool to see.

Yes, you can. You can use the 2018 application.

But is Amcas even verifying primaries right now?

Yes. You can add Seton hall through your 2018 AMCAS app and submit (I've actually received this information from the admissions since the 2017 AMCAS is no longer active). It took a less than a day for my app to be verified. Hope this helps.

Hey! how did everyone go about applying via the AMCAS? I applied to medical school and have gotten accepted but this school is in my home state and I would LOVE to stay close to home!

Did you guys contact AAMC? I can't edit my AMCAS for some reason and I have no idea how to add this school.

Thanks a ton everyone!
Log in, view application, go to "medical schools", at the top of the list it says "add school", select new jersey from state list then select seton hall, add letters, then click resubmit application in top left. Then pay.

Yes. You can add Seton hall through your 2018 AMCAS app and submit (I've actually received this information from the admissions since the 2017 AMCAS is no longer active). It took a less than a day for my app to be verified. Hope this helps.
The 2018 application is for 2018 matriculation, the 2017 amcas wouldn’t even be in question...

Is it safe to assume that the updates are truly optional and not their form of a secondary?

Thats not what verifying means.

Does anybody know if you can submit an update more than once?

do we think SHU will screen heavily based on numbers and the fact that there is no secondary, to make their tight deadline? Just curious because it seems like the site doesn't mention anything about MCAT/GPA cutoffs like CalMed or the other med school that opened this cycle. It seems like they're really mission-based but that could also be due to the fact that they don't have time to put more info on the site, considering they have to build a class in like a hot second lol.

Thoughts? Do other inaugural classes usually have a broader range of MCAT/GPA scores?

do we think SHU will screen heavily based on numbers and the fact that there is no secondary, to make their tight deadline? Just curious because it seems like the site doesn't mention anything about MCAT/GPA cutoffs like CalMed or the other med school that opened this cycle. It seems like they're really mission-based but that could also be due to the fact that they don't have time to put more info on the site, considering they have to build a class in like a hot second lol.

Thoughts? Do other inaugural classes usually have a broader range of MCAT/GPA scores?

Good question. What is “mission based” anyway?

For the letter of recommendations, at least one letter has to be from a health care professional? Or will the committee letter suffice? From reading the website descriptions, it's unclear if they would like a health care professional letter as well as a committee letter.

For the letter of recommendations, at least one letter has to be from a health care professional? Or will the committee letter suffice? From reading the website descriptions, it's unclear if they would like a health care professional letter as well as a committee letter.
Yeah, I think their numbering was off in that section. I read it as "(1) healthcare professional, (2) professor, and (3) other appropriate source; a committee letter can substitute for two of those three." So if you have a committe letter, they want at least one more individual letter from an "appropriate source" but that letter wouldn't have to be from a healthcare professional.

Yeah, I think their numbering was off in that section. I read it as "(1) healthcare professional, (2) professor, and (3) other appropriate source; a committee letter can substitute for two of those three." So if you have a committe letter, they want at least one more individual letter from an "appropriate source" but that letter wouldn't have to be from a healthcare professional.
also would caution not to just get a LOR to check a box. you would be better off making sure you have good quality LOR from people who actually know you, rather than calling up a person that fits the letter criteria and having them write a basic form LOR that doesn't add value to your application. almost every school is flexible on the LOR policy and prefer LOR from people who actually know the applicant and can write genuine information.

my guess is they will have plenty of qualified applicants due to the proximity to NYC. I am not sure if students accepted elsewhere would attend this school due to it being new but I do think NYC osteopathic admits will attend if they were not admitted to any other MD program.

Well, I sent in an update. Hopefully it helps :xf:

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know how to go about submitting a recommendation letter that is not on AMCAS?

Update in. It was 3 pages so hopefully they aren't overwhelmed by it

does anyone know how to go about submitting a recommendation letter that is not on AMCAS?
You can use Interfolio's Dossier service to request and submit confidential letters but from what I remember there is a fee associated with it.

If I were an admission's counselor and applicants were sending in 3 page updates within the first week of opening the portal, I would put them straight to the back of the pile...

Reactions: 14 users
If I were an admission's counselor and applicants were sending in 3 page updates within the first week of opening the portal, I would put them straight to the back of the pile...
Good thing you aren’t then

Reactions: 11 users
Okay, so I submitted amcas and update to this school.

My committee packet was uploaded to amcas back in June 2017 by my premed advisor. If I submitted a primary to seton hall last week, can I be confident that the committee packet is automatically sent to them? The premed committee at my school asked that they be given a list of all the schools I applied to back in June 2017 ( n=9..err, bad move) but seton hall obviously wasn’t in that list.

What do you guys think? Are committee letters automatically sent to all schools that you submit a primary for on amcas?

Okay, so I submitted amcas and update to this school.

My committee packet was uploaded to amcas back in June 2017 by my premed advisor. If I submitted a primary to seton hall last week, can I be confident that the committee packet is automatically sent to them? The premed committee at my school asked that they be given a list of all the schools I applied to back in June 2017 ( n=9..err, bad move) but seton hall obviously wasn’t in that list.

What do you guys think? Are committee letters automatically sent to all schools that you submit a primary for on amcas?
They are automatically sent, I believe. I sent a primary for another school that just opened and the school basically just received the entire AMCAS since it's all been verified. Maybe your premed advisor just wants a list as a reference. You can also just send an email to your advisor to keep them in the loop