2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update in. It was 3 pages so hopefully they aren't overwhelmed by it

The longest secondary I've had to write was 1 page lol...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thats way overboard

Adcom's perspectives:

A) This guy really wants to come here!

B)

c14e1ffedc077468eb7d71b060ed93936c424c1ea73dcd4e35ab9315e16b0182.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i tried my best to keep my update at one page since i know they are going to have to read a ton of crap in a very short amount of time. good luck to everyone applying - wonder how this one will play out

i tried my best to keep my update at one page since i know they are going to have to read a ton of crap in a very short amount of time. good luck to everyone applying - wonder how this one will play out

Update in. It was 3 pages so hopefully they aren't overwhelmed by it

Lol, 1 page/3 page updates? Daammnn mine have legit been 2 paragraphs always. Short fluffer intro and list I've accomplished/done new A,B,C since August.

Short and to the point.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, 1 page/3 page updates? Daammnn mine have legit been 2 paragraphs always. Short fluffer intro and list I've accomplished/done new A,B,C since August.

Short and to the point.

Same. Bullet points and bolded headings for time periods are always good! Helps organize and read well for reader!

Short and to the point.
I did mine paragraph style cuz I gained ~1700 hours worth of experience. And I guess the update itself is shorter cuz the last page is contact info, amount of hours, name of company, etc l;ike what you have to do on AMCAS so if they want to verify my hours and stuff (which they normally dont). But I work in a very productive lab so I had a lot to put down research wise.

Anyone else concerned by the back to back STEP exams? Not sure what a normal amount of prep time for them is, but studying for two major exams one after the other sounds very burnout inducing. Potentially.

I was always told :months, weeks, days

STEP 1-months of prep, Step 2- weeks of prep, step 3- days

Reactions: 2 users
Did anybody else look at the financial aid page? The off campus loan says $93k (without considering the first year class tuition reduction) and $21k for room and board. Is NJ that expensive? I assumed it would be cheaper being on the other side of the river when comparing to NYC prices.

"Our academic year budget reflects expectations that you will have at least one roommate." So the 21k is assuming you wont be living alone which seems really steep still.

EDIT (again): Its a typo. Should be $11k/year and would bring the total down to $83k which seems more on par with other private schools

Last edited:
Did anybody else look at the financial aid page? The off campus loan says $93k (without considering the first year class tuition reduction) and $21k for room and board. Is NJ that expensive? I assumed it would be cheaper being on the other side of the river when comparing to NYC prices.

"Our academic year budget reflects expectations that you will have at least one roommate." So the 21k is assuming you wont be living alone which seems really steep still.

EDIT (again): Its a typo. Should be $11k/year and would bring the total down to $83k which seems more on par with other private schools

The 30% is only on tuition right? So that would put it at ~$41,500. The cost of living in NJ is really high. I don't know how to link things here but I found this:

"New Jersey rents are well above average. A studio apartment in New Jersey goes for an average of $1,408 per month, according to myapartmentmap.com. That’s $353 above the national average. A one-bedroom in New Jersey rents for an average of $1,366, $365 more expensive than the U.S. average.

If you want to rent a place with two bedrooms, brace yourself. The New Jersey average rent is $1,757. That’s $526 over the national average. Three-bedroom apartments in the Garden State go for a whopping $2,238 per month, a full $705 above the U.S. average."

It looks like you're better off living alone to save money.. They also said they will start listing scholarship stuff around April 2 but I don't see them handing out many of them.

Does anyone know if I can apply if I did not fill out a 2017 AMCAS application? I was planning to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle, but I have my personal statement and LORs sorted and would love to apply if the deadline is in May!

Not sure if anyone directly answered your question but the answer is most likely no. Also those of us applying right now filled out the 2018 AMCAS, so I guess that means you'll be filling out the 2019 one if you're just applying. The 2019 one won't be open until may and can't be verified until june. Good luck to you though!

The 30% is only on tuition right? So that would put it at ~$41,500. The cost of living in NJ is really high. I don't know how to link things here but I found this:

"New Jersey rents are well above average. A studio apartment in New Jersey goes for an average of $1,408 per month, according to myapartmentmap.com. That’s $353 above the national average. A one-bedroom in New Jersey rents for an average of $1,366, $365 more expensive than the U.S. average.

If you want to rent a place with two bedrooms, brace yourself. The New Jersey average rent is $1,757. That’s $526 over the national average. Three-bedroom apartments in the Garden State go for a whopping $2,238 per month, a full $705 above the U.S. average."

It looks like you're better off living alone to save money.. They also said they will start listing scholarship stuff around April 2 but I don't see them handing out many of them.
Dang I thought it was cheaper. Idk if they are going with the 21k or 11k. Looks like 21k will be it cuz most schools Ive seen are north of 14k unless they are in the middle of nowhere. With the tuition cut and 21k, the max loans would be about 75K but like others have said on other forums, nobody really uses all the loans for medical insurance, books, transportation, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I should send in an official transcript? Or will the update file of “course work” suffice?

I wonder how many applications they have received from applicants who would actually attend even if taken off a waitlist at a different program that is not new.

In that case, who is on a waitlist currently?

Reactions: 3 users
Dang I thought it was cheaper. Idk if they are going with the 21k or 11k. Looks like 21k will be it cuz most schools Ive seen are north of 14k unless they are in the middle of nowhere. With the tuition cut and 21k, the max loans would be about 75K but like others have said on other forums, nobody really uses all the loans for medical insurance, books, transportation, etc.

From my understanding, schools will overestimate these things since that means more loan money will be available. The loan from filling out FAFSA will only give you I think a max of somewhere in the mid 40s k. The rest can be covered by the GRAD Plus loans up to the total cost of attendance, so up to ~93k. Most people don't buy the books and there's also a $1500 fee for a laptop that not everyone will use so there's ways to save money

Today I hope lol
I wish. Idk if they are screening metrics. They seem to be very non traditional (the dean even says medical education isnt working) so idk how much stock they will hold in metrics vs finding people who fit their mission (vets, women, LGBT, URMs, community medicine, people wanting to stay in NJ, etc)

I wish. Idk if they are screening metrics. They seem to be very non traditional (the dean even says medical education isnt working) so idk how much stock they will hold in metrics vs finding people who fit their mission (vets, women, LGBT, URMs, community medicine, people wanting to stay in NJ, etc)
Highly unlikely. How could they not screen gpa and MCAT?

Hopefully there is some news by Wednesday because if not it’s going to be silence till next Tuesday

I agree, I would be shocked if there was any noise from this Thursday through next Monday.

The university is closed Thursday and Friday for Easter. The calendar shows that classes are canceled on Monday so I’m not sure if the admissions committee would meet.

Last edited:

Short and to the point.

hey listen here: this might be my last chance this cycle. might as well go out with a bang.

Reactions: 10 users
The university is closed Thursday and for Easter. The calendar shows that classes are canceled on Monday so I’m not sure if the admissions committee would be too.

So what should we do in the meantime guys?

Does the school mention anything about a ranking system? It looks like they are P/F for pre clinical and H/HP/P/F for clinical. And looks like lectures are mandatory

Thinking about just holding off and applying in June - is the consensus that a school with preliminary accreditation has differences in how the students receive aid? Can someone source this or give me a clear rundown?

Thinking about just holding off and applying in June - is the consensus that a school with preliminary accreditation has differences in how the students receive aid? Can someone source this or give me a clear rundown?
Some don't qualify for fafsa but this one does. Because it has an established and robust undergraduate and graduate programs, this med school qualifies for federal aid (FAFSA). It's on their website.

Some don't qualify for fafsa but this one does. Because it has an established and robust undergraduate and graduate programs, this med school qualifies for federal aid (FAFSA). It's on their website.
Or some choose not to offer federal aid (I'm looking at you CNU).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Someone mentioned this:

"If I recall correctly, I saw mention of federal unsubsidized loans, meaning that the student will pay the interest that accrues before payback starts. Still can be better than private loans though, if the interest rates are lower and/or fixed. If you google for "federal loans vs. private loans" you should get to a page sponsored by the feds with a summary chart of the differences between fed and private loans. My understanding is that students aren't eligible for federal subsidized loans until the school is two years from this initial accreditation milestone."

Looking for confirmation here

"If I recall correctly, I saw mention of federal unsubsidized loans, meaning that the student will pay the interest that accrues before payback starts. Still can be better than private loans though, if the interest rates are lower and/or fixed. If you google for "federal loans vs. private loans" you should get to a page sponsored by the feds with a summary chart of the differences between fed and private loans. My understanding is that students aren't eligible for federal subsidized loans until the school is two years from this initial accreditation milestone."

Unfortunately, graduate students only qualify for federal unsubsidized loans. That's at all accredited med schools.

Graduate/Professional students at any school are no longer eligible for Federal Subsidized loans. As a medical student you can take out $40,500 in Federal Unsubsidized loans (current rate is 6% for 2017-18 academic year) where interest accrues immediately upon being disbursed. You can then fund the remaining balance (up the the school's Cost of Attendance) by using a Federal GradPlus loan (current rate is 7% for 2017-18 academic year). New interest rates are announced in June, and there is a significant possibility that they will increase.

Last edited:
Graduate/Professional students at any school are no longer eligible for Federal Subsidized loans. As a graduate student you can take out $20,500 in Federal Unsubsidized loans (current rate is 6% for 2017-18 academic year) where interest accrues immediately upon being disbursed. You can then fund the remaining balance (up the the school's Cost of Attendance) by using a Federal GradPlus loan (current rate is 7% for 2017-18 academic year). New interest rates are announced in June, and there is a significant possibility that they will increase.
Isn't it $20,500 in Federal Unsubsidized loans per semester?

From the LCME website, it sounds like there's no difference in how the students are treated. It's just a process:

Preliminary accreditation status is granted to an unaccredited program seeking full accreditation status. This status allows the program to recruit applicants and accept applications for enrollment.

Provisional accreditation status is granted after a program enrolls a charter class, submits a modified educational database and self-study summary to the LCME, and successfully completes a limited site visit. The site visit takes place before the midpoint of the second year; provisional status allows the charter class to continue into the third and fourth years of training.

Full accreditation status is granted to programs after a program submits an educational database and selfstudy summary and completes a full site visit late in the third or early in the fourth year of the curriculum. Full accreditation is awarded for the balance of the eight-year term that began when preliminary status was granted; subsequent term lengths are determined through completion of the full survey process.

From the LCME website, it sounds like there's no difference in how the students are treated. It's just a process:

Preliminary accreditation status is granted to an unaccredited program seeking full accreditation status. This status allows the program to recruit applicants and accept applications for enrollment.

Provisional accreditation status is granted after a program enrolls a charter class, submits a modified educational database and self-study summary to the LCME, and successfully completes a limited site visit. The site visit takes place before the midpoint of the second year; provisional status allows the charter class to continue into the third and fourth years of training.

Full accreditation status is granted to programs after a program submits an educational database and selfstudy summary and completes a full site visit late in the third or early in the fourth year of the curriculum. Full accreditation is awarded for the balance of the eight-year term that began when preliminary status was granted; subsequent term lengths are determined through completion of the full survey process.
I thought I read somewhere (maybe Seton's main financial aid page?) that Federal subsidized loans were available only to students in a program authorized to grant a terminal degree, meaning that a med school would have to reach provisional status first. This is moot if it's true that grad students don't qualify for subsidized loans any more. I hadn't heard that before - what a travesty!