2017-2018 Stanford University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does that mean that they're only sending invites to KH Scholars that get invited to the immersion weekend?

What I would imagine is that if you're being considered for KH, they will wait to give you an II so that it coincides with the immersion weekend. If you end up getting rejected from KH, it will have no effect on your MD application.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you with IIs - any of you apply for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program? When I met with the director, he said that they would try to coordinate the MD interviews to occur during the immersion weekend, since the program is footing the bill for travel and lodging. Since invites to the immersion weekend aren't sent until December, I'm unsure if those in consideration would even receive an MD II prior to then...

I was going to apply, but I decided not to once I got the Stanford secondary and saw that you needed to submit the KH application before the secondary. They might end up offering an II before then, but perhaps they would offer the opportunity to simply come in for that immersion weekend instead of an earlier interview spot? Not sure, that's a tough situation.

Just got an II! OOS and complete July 11.

Anyone have experience with how flexible they are concerning interview dates? I have interviews on the only two days available right now (2nd/3rd week of November, for anyone curious).

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II! OOS and complete July 11.

Anyone have experience with how flexible they are concerning interview dates? I have interviews on the only two days available right now (2nd/3rd week of November, for anyone curious).

Holy crap you are literally like a pre-med god(dess), sitting at an over 80% II yield and now Stanford too. I'm sure you have been asked this many times, but any insight into what made your cycle so successful? All I can say is congrats and I'm glad you can only matriculate into one seat to leave some for the rest of us :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Holy crap you are literally like a pre-med god(dess), sitting at an over 80% II yield and now Stanford too. I'm sure you have been asked this many times, but any insight into what made your cycle so successful? All I can say is congrats and I'm glad you can only matriculate into one seat to leave some for the rest of us :laugh:
You are so sweet, thank you! :love:

Unfortunately I don't have much insight -- this cycle has been a crazy surprise. :) I know my stats are good, and I was complete very early at every school. Other than that, I could only guess that I had a lot of good advice throughout the process (shout out to my pre-med advisor) and enjoy writing, which allowed me to articulate a thoughtful "why medicine" story. I'm a state school girl from a semi-rural area, with a vague, totally unplanned theme of activities involving immigrant communities, teaching English, work/study abroad, etc. I don't really have a "hook" or any standout factors, I don't think! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Any current Stanford student willing to share some things they like about Stanford's curriculum and why it's unique?

Anyone remember getting a white screen when they submitted?

Just tried to submit, and when I clicked the button, it was a blank screen.

Also, got no immediate email confirmation...is this normal?

Anyone remember getting a white screen when they submitted?

Just tried to submit, and when I clicked the button, it was a blank screen.

Also, got no immediate email confirmation...is this normal?
I remember a similar thing happening to me - I would just log out then log back in and check your status. Worst case you email admissions, like I did, and they'll solve it.

I remember a similar thing happening to me - I would just log out then log back in and check your status. Worst case you email admissions, like I did, and they'll solve it.

Phew, ok.. I refreshed the page, and it said file complete, and I just got the email this morning, around 8 hours after I submitted it.

Do you remember what admissions did after you emailed them?

II :) Complete early August

Reactions: 7 users
Phew, ok.. I refreshed the page, and it said file complete, and I just got the email this morning, around 8 hours after I submitted it.

Do you remember what admissions did after you emailed them?
I think at the time their payment system was down in general too, so they just emailed saying they will fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Complete late July. I'm ecstatic. For my own sanity, I had pretty much written off getting an interview here at this point, and I'm so giddy that I did!

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning! Complete late July. I'm ecstatic. For my own sanity, I had pretty much written off getting an interview here at this point, and I'm so giddy that I did!
For better or worse, the II's seems to be kind of not in order...I am first week of August, so maybe judgement day is coming soon?

Reactions: 1 user
For better or worse, the II's seems to be kind of not in order...I am first week of August, so maybe judgement day is coming soon?
It doesn’t seem that order plays into it a whole ton, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Nothing that can be done now anyway!

Question - I will be interviewing in LA in the coming months. I am from the East coast and being able to just fly out once would save a couple hundred dollars. Is that distance too far for an 'in the area' notice? (Not sure how it works if the state in question is huge lol) Thanks!

Question - I will be interviewing in LA in the coming months. I am from the East coast and being able to just fly out once would save a couple hundred dollars. Is that distance too far for an 'in the area' notice? (Not sure how it works if the state in question is huge lol) Thanks!

They are nowhere near each other

For reference, that's kind of like sending in ITA email to an NYC school when you'll actually be in North Carolina. Sure, it will save you money, but you're not actually in the area at all.

For reference, that's kind of like sending in ITA email to an NYC school when you'll actually be in North Carolina. Sure, it will save you money, but you're not actually in the area at all.
Yea, that's what I figured. Thanks for the quick response!

Does Stanford take thank you letters?

If yes who do you send it to for MMI? @Goro @LizzyM

Wait really? Don't you always recommend sending one in? Or does that opinion change for MMI?

ugh. please stop sending thank you letters. I haven't for any of my 1 on 1 interviews on a matter of principle.

Wait really? Don't you always recommend sending one in? Or does that opinion change for MMI?
The only reason you should send them is if you momma taught you to be polite. Thanking every interviewer is excessive. It won't affect your fate...which was determined by the interviewers within an hour after the interview was over. If you insist, just thank the Admissions dean.

The only reason you should send them is if you momma taught you to be polite. Thanking every interviewer is excessive. It won't affect your fate...which was determined by the interviewers within an hour after the interview was over. If you insist, just thank the Admissions dean.

why is fate determined by interviewers the hour after the interview is over?

why is fate determined by interviewers the hour after the interview is over?

Goro is implying that interviewers generally write their notes about you right after the interview is over, so it really doesn't matter whether you send a thank-you letter or not. Especially in the MMI setting, it can't be assessed any other way. Their comments won't change with a letter.

EDIT: ^^^ Beat me to it.

Goro is implying that interviewers generally write their notes about you right after the interview is over, so it really doesn't matter whether you send a thank-you letter or not. Especially in the MMI setting, it can't be assessed any other way. Their comments won't change with a letter.

EDIT: ^^^ Beat me to it.

I understand now, thanks!

rejected, lm 78-83, submitted late july i think. not a surprise.

Rejected, great start to my supposedly relaxing weekend. I wish they were willing to provide feedback as they were one of my favorites going in. Complete 7/22, LizzyM ~77.

Sorry to hear, folks :(
Are these all pre-interview rejections?

Also, Stanford's working through the weekend, it seems --> intense!
they probably worked on Friday and the email came in late. these were pre interview.

Sorry to hear, folks :(
Are these all pre-interview rejections?

Also, Stanford's working through the weekend, it seems --> intense!
Mine was pre-ii, at least. They've often been sending IIs on weekends (based on this thread) and I hadn't seen rejections yet (to my recollection) so I was excited at first to have an email from them but definitely hit a new low.

Rejected also. Also curious why specifically, but oh well. With a LizzyM of 74ish and most of that coming from a near 4.0 GPA, can't say I'm surprised.

Edit: curious how much that Secondary Question about the "kind of practice" you want to be in plays into interview invites... I want to do primary care and so I wonder if they might not be as interested in selecting people like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was pre-ii, at least. They've often been sending IIs on weekends (based on this thread) and I hadn't seen rejections yet (to my recollection) so I was excited at first to have an email from them but definitely hit a new low.
Eh, you're gonna go be a great doc from somewhere else. You've got double digit interviews if my memory serves me well. Life moves on!

Reactions: 3 users
Refreshing my email constantly now (as if I haven't been for months already). I'd love to go back to my alma mater but I'm not sure I'd be a great fit culturally for this school.

Good luck folks. Keep your heads up!

Also got the rejection! Sucks that the rejections have come out at such an odd time... the start of the weekend. Best of luck to everyone on the rest of their applications as I'm sure you will make fine doctors.

Emails are coming out staggered - not all at once. Today's going to be a stressful day for those refreshing their emails.

Rejections seem to be targeted at the Late-July/early-August crowd. So if you were one of the first to hit submit, you might hear back today. If not, feel a bit of hope :)

Last edited:
Stanford bringing down the hammer, rejection today as well. No love from the SF area this cycle.

Rejection complete mid July :/ good luck everyone else !

I fear my rejection will not come today because they have yet to see my application...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected !!! Expected, because I have only 4 posters and 0 pubs. Having research goes a long way into the top 10s :')

Those who got rejected: any of you apply for Knight-Hennessy?

Ugh. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it means when people are rejected with complete dates after? I was complete 7/20. Still silence at alot of the programs I applied for.

I dont really expect an interview here, its just the waiting that kills me.

*waiting on my rejection e-mail to come in* LM 70 complete late july, so def expecting one soon.

Edit: curious how much that Secondary Question about the "kind of practice" you want to be in plays into interview invites... I want to do primary care and so I wonder if they might not be as interested in selecting people like that.

I have no idea, I'm also just an applicant, BUT while I'm sure they interview applicants who indicate other areas of medicine, I get the impression that Stanford's primary mission is to produce academic physicians who want to do a lot of research

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it means when people are rejected with complete dates after? I was complete 7/20. Still silence at alot of the programs I applied for.

I dont really expect an interview here, its just the waiting that kills me.
My only guess would be the order we're reviewed isn't necessarily the order we submit in. To be honest I'd rather get that R than get silently rejected