2017-2018 Stony Brook University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are most people here OOS?! I am LizzyM 73 IS and still no II
According to my friend who went to SBU, for some reason it appears as though they have a bias against IS and def against their ug students. Most of the people who get in here with low stats are OOS, and most who get in IS have high stats. It's pretty bizarre honestly and is exactly opposite of how most state schools operate. I don't get it.
 
According to my friend who went to SBU, for some reason it appears as though they have a bias against IS and def against their ug students. Most of the people who get in here with low stats are OOS, and most who get in IS have high stats. It's pretty bizarre honestly and is exactly opposite of how most state schools operate. I don't get it.

That isn't my perception of my classmates. Not that stats perfectly correlate with performance in medical school, but some of the brightest in my class are OOS students. Some are IS students. Dean Kaushansky is very clear about having a diverse class which includes SES, ethnicity, geographic diversity, major/educational background, etc. This includes Canadians. My class has a professional bartender, a theater major, a professional make-up artist, and a slew of others from diverse backgrounds.

While it may be true that SBU has a perceived bias against IS students, only secondary to the school's diverse student body, I wholeheartedly disagree that it's because OOS students are not academically on-par. Applying to medical school can be stiff competition, and the process is less about numbers than one might think.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted today, IS student who interviewed 10/3. The email says that on average 30% of their matriculating students come from the waitlist, so I'm not giving up hope yet!
 
According to MSAR they grant acceptances to about 20% of the waitlist, so there is still hope. (Me trying to convince myself this is fine)

Hahah yeah, if you come up with any other helpful delusions let me know, I could definitely use some right now :'). It's been awhile now but the other applicants at Stony Brook still stand out as among my favorite I've met along the trail -- I remember thinking that everyone else seemed so well qualified and easygoing. Maybe the school was having too hard a time deciding which of us to take, so they just WL'd us all instead :laugh:
 
Going to my interview tomorrow. Pretty nervous. Any tips for me about anything? It's going to be my first time in New York.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected pre-II - OOS, URM, nontraditional with 14,000 hrs of medical research and 11 publications, and MPH.
However, LM was only in mid 60s so definitely not surprised by this rejection since I heard this school seems to place a much heavier emphasis on stats compared to other MD schools.
 
Rejected pre-II - OOS, URM, nontraditional with 14,000 hrs of medical research and 11 publications, and MPH.
However, LM was only in mid 60s so definitely not surprised by this rejection since I heard this school seems to place a much heavier emphasis on stats compared to other MD schools.
submitted secondary early August and marked complete 10/2
 
Anyone know how long the interviews typically are? Mine is later this week and this is the first school I've seen that doesn't do back-to-back interviews.
 
Anyone know how long the interviews typically are? Mine is later this week and this is the first school I've seen that doesn't do back-to-back interviews.
yeah so your interview time is usually a time that is convenient for your interviewers. Mine was with a surgeon and he only had a limited time frame to talk to me. The school actually called me to come in an hour earlier to accomadate his schedule. Either way, you're going to be interviewed by two people. Each interview goes as long as the interviewer wants. It could range from 30 min to 1.5 hrs depending on their schedule. There is a tour and lunch followed by someone from the admissions office talking about what to expect from them moving forward and financial aid etc. After all that, if youve had your two interviews already, you are free to go. If not, you just sit tight until the designated time and someone will come get you from the room. Pretty chill.
 
yeah so your interview time is usually a time that is convenient for your interviewers. Mine was with a surgeon and he only had a limited time frame to talk to me. The school actually called me to come in an hour earlier to accomadate his schedule. Either way, you're going to be interviewed by two people. Each interview goes as long as the interviewer wants. It could range from 30 min to 1.5 hrs depending on their schedule. There is a tour and lunch followed by someone from the admissions office talking about what to expect from them moving forward and financial aid etc. After all that, if youve had your two interviews already, you are free to go. If not, you just sit tight until the designated time and someone will come get you from the room. Pretty chill.

Thank you! My second interview is at 2pm so I guess I'll be sitting tight lol.
 
Sooo my faculty interviewer asked me which other schools I've interviewed at so far. I answered honestly. Am I doomed?
 
Sooo my faculty interviewer asked me which other schools I've interviewed at so far. I answered honestly. Am I doomed?

Weird, one of my SBU interviewers actually asked me how many schools I had interviews lined up at as we were walking back to the admissions office. It felt like a great interview otherwise, but that question really caught me off guard, and I responded somewhere along the lines of, "uh... a few" followed by a nervous smile.

Result: Waitlist LOL

In all honesty there's really no way to read into how much moments like this plays into the admissions decision. If I was your interviewer, I would view your honest answer as a positive sign FWIW. But asking an applicant about their other interviews does strike me as somewhat... unprofessional? Like, it puts us in a very uncomfortable spot. I'll ask you this: did your interviewer happen to be a female professor of physiology/biophysics?
 
Sooo my faculty interviewer asked me which other schools I've interviewed at so far. I answered honestly. Am I doomed?
Weird, one of my SBU interviewers actually asked me how many schools I had interviews lined up at as we were walking back to the admissions office. It felt like a great interview otherwise, but that question really caught me off guard, and I responded somewhere along the lines of, "uh... a few" followed by a nervous smile.

Result: Waitlist LOL

In all honesty there's really no way to read into how much moments like this plays into the admissions decision. If I was your interviewer, I would view your honest answer as a positive sign FWIW. But asking an applicant about their other interviews does strike me as somewhat... unprofessional? Like, it puts us in a very uncomfortable spot. I'll ask you this: did your interviewer happen to be a female professor of physiology/biophysics?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with telling your interviewer where you have interviewed so far? My last interviewer asked me this too at another school and didn't know it was like some sort of trick question
 
Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with telling your interviewer where you have interviewed so far? My last interviewer asked me this too at another school and didn't know it was like some sort of trick question

To me, talking about other medical schools while at an interview feels almost like... talking about all your other tinder matches while on a first date with a girl or something. Thus, being forced to talk about the other people (or schools) you’re courting seems to constitute being forced to breach a certain amount of social etiquette. There’s also no great answer to the question, which is what I mean when I say it puts us in an uncomfortable spot (Oh I’m your only match? What’s wrong with you again? Vs oh you’re seeing 5 other girls too? What are you, some kind of player?)

Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I dont know whether these ideas reflect the consensus at all. I also don’t know if my applying = dating analogy will hold up under further scrutiny lol.
 
Last edited:
Did anyone hear back (either II or rejection) after they submitted the secondary around the end of September? Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To me, talking about other medical schools while at an interview feels almost like... talking about all your other tinder matches while on a first date with a girl or something. Thus, being forced to talk about the other people (or schools) you’re courting seems to constitute being forced to breach a certain amount of social etiquette. There’s also no great answer to the question, which is what I mean when I say it puts us in an uncomfortable spot (Oh I’m your only match? What’s wrong with you again? Vs oh you’re seeing 5 other girls too? What are you, some kind of player?)

Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I dont know whether these ideas reflect the consensus at all. I also don’t know if my applying = dating analogy will hold up under further scrutiny lol.

lmao love this :bow: thanks
 
To me, talking about other medical schools while at an interview feels almost like... talking about all your other tinder matches while on a first date with a girl or something. Thus, being forced to talk about the other people (or schools) you’re courting seems to constitute being forced to breach a certain amount of social etiquette. There’s also no great answer to the question, which is what I mean when I say it puts us in an uncomfortable spot (Oh I’m your only match? What’s wrong with you again? Vs oh you’re seeing 5 other girls too? What are you, some kind of player?)

Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I dont know whether these ideas reflect the consensus at all. I also don’t know if my applying = dating analogy will hold up under further scrutiny lol.

lmao love this :bow: thanks
 
Weird, one of my SBU interviewers actually asked me how many schools I had interviews lined up at as we were walking back to the admissions office. It felt like a great interview otherwise, but that question really caught me off guard, and I responded somewhere along the lines of, "uh... a few" followed by a nervous smile.

Result: Waitlist LOL

In all honesty there's really no way to read into how much moments like this plays into the admissions decision. If I was your interviewer, I would view your honest answer as a positive sign FWIW. But asking an applicant about their other interviews does strike me as somewhat... unprofessional? Like, it puts us in a very uncomfortable spot. I'll ask you this: did your interviewer happen to be a female professor of physiology/biophysics?

Omg, same interviewer! Haha. Also, love your tinder analogy, quite spot-on! It's not so much that I mind telling them, but I've noticed the general way of things is that schools seem to like to pretend that they're the only school we're applying to. Either that or that's the way applicants have interpreted it in the past...

Btw, how long after your interview did you get that admissions decision?
 
Omg, same interviewer! Haha. Also, love your tinder analogy, quite spot-on! It's not so much that I mind telling them, but I've noticed the general way of things is that schools seem to like to pretend that they're the only school we're applying to. Either that or that's the way applicants have interpreted it in the past...

Btw, how long after your interview did you get that admissions decision?


Oh **** haha! Well here's to hoping that's just a question she asks interviewees for curiosity's sake and not as a trap to sink our evaluations :laugh:

And SBU made me wait 43 days after my interview to tell me that I had to wait some more 😛