2017-2018 Stony Brook University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To me, talking about other medical schools while at an interview feels almost like... talking about all your other tinder matches while on a first date with a girl or something. Thus, being forced to talk about the other people (or schools) you’re courting seems to constitute being forced to breach a certain amount of social etiquette. There’s also no great answer to the question, which is what I mean when I say it puts us in an uncomfortable spot (Oh I’m your only match? What’s wrong with you again? Vs oh you’re seeing 5 other girls too? What are you, some kind of player?)

Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I dont know whether these ideas reflect the consensus at all. I also don’t know if my applying = dating analogy will hold up under further scrutiny lol.
Haha I feel the same way. Also my interviewer also asked me how many interviews I've gotten. I just said I had one other even though it was technically my 4th interview and I already had one acceptance. I think they might just be curious but I wanted to keep it safe. I thought saying none would make it seem like I'm desperate while saying 4+ would make it sound like I'm bragging. It's no secret that Stony Brook isn't exactly the best med school so they might just be gauging your interest.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted OOS interviewed first week of Oct!!

So the acceptance letter states "If you wish to secure your place in this class, please send us the following by November 27th, 2017:
1. An email stating your intention to enroll at Stony Brook University School of Medicine
2. A signed Technical Standards Certification Form."

This is a dumb question but I want to clarify that this means I can't wait to hear back from other schools right?
 
Oh **** haha! Well here's to hoping that's just a question she asks interviewees for curiosity's sake and not as a trap to sink our evaluations :laugh:

And SBU made me wait 43 days after my interview to tell me that I had to wait some more 😛

I got deferred at another school so I know how you feel haha but hey, you're still in the running so cheers to that. Keep the vibes high!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rejected today pre-ii. complete early august 🙁. currently working towards mph. lizzy m 71.5. low gpa but high mcat and really good (i thought) ec's, essays and rec. in-state applicant.
 
Sooo my faculty interviewer asked me which other schools I've interviewed at so far. I answered honestly. Am I doomed?
I was asked the same question back when I interviewed. Also took the honest approach and today I'm in the program. I wouldn't worry; it's likely just a way to assess how you react under awkward situations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted this morning! Interviewed a couple weeks ago, had a great time. My acceptance email was initially accidentally addressed to someone else, so whoever Ms. McKenna is, congrats to you too girl 😛

Anyone know if there's an acceptance form we have to return to them by a certain date? Didn't see one. I know we have to turn in the Technical Standards form, but that didn't indicate a turn in date either.
 
Accepted this morning! Interviewed a couple weeks ago, had a great time. My acceptance email was initially accidentally addressed to someone else, so whoever Ms. McKenna is, congrats to you too girl 😛

Anyone know if there's an acceptance form we have to return to them by a certain date? Didn't see one. I know we have to turn in the Technical Standards form, but that didn't indicate a turn in date either.

In your acceptance e-mail, an attachment should have something along the following lines: "If you wish to secure your place in this class, please send us the following by...(the date they give you):
1) An email stating your intention to enroll at Stony Brook University School of Medicine.
2) A signed Technical Standards Certification Form. (An electronic signed form will be accepted.)"
 
Accepted this morning! Interviewed a couple weeks ago, had a great time. My acceptance email was initially accidentally addressed to someone else, so whoever Ms. McKenna is, congrats to you too girl 😛

Anyone know if there's an acceptance form we have to return to them by a certain date? Didn't see one. I know we have to turn in the Technical Standards form, but that didn't indicate a turn in date either.
congrats on your acceptance 🙂 did you interview the week of 10/30 or 11/6?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad