2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the health forms do we just email them to the student health email address? Also did anyone find out if BLS is really required for alternate list people? The reminder emails seem to say that everything needs to be in by July 1.

Yeah just emailing it to the student health office as one pdf is preferred.

I think as it gets later in the cycle it (BLS) might help in deciding who they choose. If you have everything they may prefer you over other students. Not sure to be honest. But if you get it you will have the qualifications for two years I believe. So you won’t have to worry about it later.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off the Alt List today!! Interviewed late March, P2P 5/7, Alt listed 5/14

Reactions: 3 users
Also accepted off of the alt list today! Interviewed in October. P2P in December. HFS in December. Alt list in May

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else find that their health forms aren't being marked complete? I keep receiving "items outstanding" from the admissions office even though the health forms were submitted weeks ago

Anyone else find that their health forms aren't being marked complete? I keep receiving "items outstanding" from the admissions office even though the health forms were submitted weeks ago
Mine are being marked off complete. Are you sure you're sending them to the student health email address?

Reactions: 1 user

It might be because of the high volume of emails they’re getting at this time. I sent mine in and it’s still not marked as well.

Maybe you should call to see if you can get an update on if it was received.

Mine are being marked off complete. Are you sure you're sending them to the student health email address?

Yeah, I'm receiving replies that say "Documents Received," but they're not being checked off on the admissions checklist. How long after you submitted were they marked complete?

It might be because of the high volume of emails they’re getting at this time. I sent mine in and it’s still not marked as well.

Maybe you should call to see if you can get an update on if it was received.

That makes sense. I tried emailing Student Health a few days ago, but haven't received an explanation why the checklist isn't updating.

Yeah, I'm receiving replies that say "Documents Received," but they're not being checked off on the admissions checklist. How long after you submitted were they marked complete?

The first time I sent the documents, it took about two and a half weeks. I recently sent more documents and they were marked complete within a week.

Hey guys, MS2 here. I'll be one of your orientation leaders in August. I look forward to meeting all of you, but for now, feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Exams are over and my summer research project is really chill so I'll try my best to get back to you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, MS2 here. I'll be one of your orientation leaders in August. I look forward to meeting all of you, but for now, feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Exams are over and my summer research project is really chill so I'll try my best to get back to you guys.

Hey! Any comments on the sorrounding areas? Also, what is the testing schedule like for first years? Looking forward to meeting you :)

First post here. I'm on the alternate list... anyone know what the deal is with this CPR verification thing?

Hey! Any comments on the sorrounding areas? Also, what is the testing schedule like for first years? Looking forward to meeting you :)
The area immediately surrounding Downstate is pretty safe, in my opinion. As long as you mind your own business and use common sense, you'll be okay. This is coming from the perspective of a tall-ish dude; you might have a different experience if you're a petite female, but I haven't heard of any of my female classmates running into any trouble either.

There are cafes and restaurants opening up as gentrification creeps in, but most of these new shops are still at least a 10-minute walk away from campus. The majority of restaurants around here serve some variety of Caribbean food (which is awesome) or fast food.

Preclinical years have a pretty reasonable testing schedule. You'll only get tested once every 8-12 weeks for a total of 6 exam weeks throughout MS1-2. There are weekly quizzes, but these don't count towards your grade; there are some in our class who use them as practice for exams, and then there are others who just randomly guess to get credit for having done them.

The area immediately surrounding Downstate is pretty safe, in my opinion. As long as you mind your own business and use common sense, you'll be okay. This is coming from the perspective of a tall-ish dude; you might have a different experience if you're a petite female, but I haven't heard of any of my female classmates running into any trouble either.

There are cafes and restaurants opening up as gentrification creeps in, but most of these new shops are still at least a 10-minute walk away from campus. The majority of restaurants around here serve some variety of Caribbean food (which is awesome) or fast food.

Preclinical years have a pretty reasonable testing schedule. You'll only get tested once every 8-12 weeks for a total of 6 exam weeks throughout MS1-2. There are weekly quizzes, but these don't count towards your grade; there are some in our class who use them as practice for exams, and then there are others who just randomly guess to get credit for having done them.

Thanks for your insight!! I was also just wondering what public transportation was like immediately sorrounding the school. Is it easy to get from place to place without a car? How is the train/bus/uber service?

Thanks for your insight!! I was also just wondering what public transportation was like immediately sorrounding the school. Is it easy to get from place to place without a car? How is the train/bus/uber service?
Yeah, Downstate is right next to the 2 and 5 trains. It's pretty convenient for getting around the city for cheap.

how many people on the alternate list have crossed off everything on the checklist? I sent all of my health forms on monday but i doubt they get crossed off before july 1.

how many people on the alternate list have crossed off everything on the checklist? I sent all of my health forms on monday but i doubt they get crossed off before july 1.

I have everything complete...but I'm still on the waitlist (I also sent a letter of intent)

I was told by the admissions office that the acceptance response form, white coat form, background check, and admissions deposit do not need to be submitted before July 1. Otherwise, I had all other forms submitted. I'm still on the alternate list as well.

I totally forgot about the health forms. How can I see if I am still on the waitlist?

can any current students chime in- do you recommend living in the on campus apartments for first year? Will it make it easier to meet people? Do a lot of first years live on campus? Thanks.

MS2 here. Living on campus is very nice for the sake of convenience. I think in our year we have a solid 40% of our class living in the dorms.

If you're the type of person who rolls right out of bed and doesn't need or want to have a morning routine then these accommodations will suit you. Fair warning the facilities are old/slightly run down and can be expensive. Also if you're an out of state student do NOT live in the dorms as you will not qualify for in-state tuition come second year.

MS2 here that got in in July last year. Few students got in last minute like me and one student got in during orientation week. Still hope.
I really hope I will be able to say this to a future Downstate applicant

MS2 here that got in in July last year. Few students got in last minute like me and one student got in during orientation week. Still hope.

Thanks! I certainly hope it works out at Downstate; financially, logistically, and residency-match-list-wise, it would be better. I have been accepted as Western Michigan, so I'm getting my ducks in a row to move out there on 7/26. However, I'm still ready to go to Downstate at the drop of a hat. I sent downstate a "re-commitment"/additional letter of intent, and had several alumni/faculty I know reach out on my behalf, though I know at this point it might not do much.

WMed starts 7/30, and from what I understand, Downstate starts 8/13. Just on the off chance I got into Downstate after school started at WMed, would it be crazy to turn around and go to Downstate?

I'm committed to Downstate, but if my top choice e-mails me between now and orientation, i'll be rescinding my acceptance to Downstate for sure

Thanks! I certainly hope it works out at Downstate; financially, logistically, and residency-match-list-wise, it would be better. I have been accepted as Western Michigan, so I'm getting my ducks in a row to move out there on 7/26. However, I'm still ready to go to Downstate at the drop of a hat. I sent downstate a "re-commitment"/additional letter of intent, and had several alumni/faculty I know reach out on my behalf, though I know at this point it might not do much.

WMed starts 7/30, and from what I understand, Downstate starts 8/13. Just on the off chance I got into Downstate after school started at WMed, would it be crazy to turn around and go to Downstate?

TBH, I don't think thats allowed. I read about it somewhere...

After four cycles of applying to medical schools all over, I am finally ecstatic to say that SUNY Downstate has given me the opportunity to pursue my dream! Accepted off the waitlist yesterday....Good luck to everyone. Your time is coming! Don't lose hope, don't lose faith. If its your dream, your time will come

Reactions: 5 users
After four cycles of applying to medical schools all over, I am finally ecstatic to say that SUNY Downstate has given me the opportunity to pursue my dream! Accepted off the waitlist yesterday....Good luck to everyone. Your time is coming! Don't lose hope, don't lose faith. If its your dream, your time will come
Congrats! Did you happen to send an updated LOI or an early LOI? Im wondering if I should send one.

For those of you who were accepted recently and are looking for housing, make sure you look at the Downstate COM Marketplace Facebook page. There's a spreadsheet with a list of available houses and apartments near campus that are usually significantly cheaper than on-campus housing. I found my apartment on the spreadsheet last year and saved a few thousand dollars over the course of a year, and it was only a 5-minute walk from school.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Did you happen to send an updated LOI or an early LOI? Im wondering if I should send one.
Thank you very much! Actually, I hadn't sent a LOI at all but this was out of sheer procrastination. Plus, I felt that actively completing the items on the Checklist let them know I was somewhat interested in attending. I don't think it could hurt to let them know through a LOI, though. Good luck to you!