2017-2018 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think writing two update letters/letters of interest is over-doing it? I wrote a letter of interest with an update months ago after being placed on HFS. I haven’t had communication with them since (other than being placed on the alt list), and I don’t want to fall through the cracks or be forgotten — but also don’t want to sound desperate or redundant. Any advice? Thanks!
i swear med school waitlist communications are like texting your crush

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think writing two update letters/letters of interest is over-doing it? I wrote a letter of interest with an update months ago after being placed on HFS. I haven’t had communication with them since (other than being placed on the alt list), and I don’t want to fall through the cracks or be forgotten — but also don’t want to sound desperate or redundant. Any advice? Thanks!

I say why not, however I wrote a letter of intent in early april after being on HFS since Nov. and then was placed on the alternate list recently. However, you never know!

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder, has anyone been rejected post II? or have most people been put on the alt list?

Any one else get this e-mail? Does this mean anything?
"To prepare yourself should a place become available, you MUST use the following link to access the alternate admissions checklist to view the outstanding checklist items:" then "The clearance status of alternates is one of the variables considered in the review of the alternate list to fill any vacancies in the entering class. Our alternate list is kept active until the first official day of classes in August 13."

Does that mean that I'm higher on the waitlist or do they send this to everyone?

"To prepare yourself should a place become available, you MUST use the following link to access the alternate admissions checklist to view the outstanding checklist items:" then "The clearance status of alternates is one of the variables considered in the review of the alternate list to fill any vacancies in the entering class. Our alternate list is kept active until the first official day of classes in August 13."

Does that mean that I'm higher on the waitlist or do they send this to everyone?

I got this and am wondering the same. Id hate doing the entire checklist only to find out I wasn’t accepted later.

I think they sent this to everyone.

Hi Guys!
Does any one recommend a good place to buy stethoscopes OR do you know if the school happens to sell them?

I got this today and was wondering the same thing, did anyone receive this email before today?

On the alt list and got that email today as well. I'd guess that everyone on the alt list recieved it--maybe the admissions office wants waitlisted students to fill it out so whoever gets accepted can catch up with others?

Question is, what exactly do we have to fill out? I dont think anyone on the alt list recieved forms for immunization, cpr verification etc...

Reactions: 3 users
On the alt list and got that email today as well. I'd guess that everyone on the alt list recieved it--maybe the admissions office wants waitlisted students to fill it out so whoever gets accepted can catch up with others?

Question is, what exactly do we have to fill out? I dont think anyone on the alt list recieved forms for immunization, cpr verification etc...

On a similar note, where are we supposed to send all of this information to? The admissions e-mail address that they provide? They don't exactly specify any instructions on how to send these things in...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent everything via the admissions email

On a similar note, where are we supposed to send all of this information to? The admissions e-mail address that they provide? They don't exactly specify any instructions on how to send these things in...

are fellow alt-listers also submitting all the info via email? or are you waiting on things like the immunization stuff etc.

Hey! Do I have a shot here as a URM with a low MCAT (498). I'm a NY resident.

Hey! Do I have a shot here as a URM with a low MCAT (498). I'm a NY resident.
SUNY Downstate's 10th percentile MCAT for accepted applicants is 506 so you really should retake it before applying. Especially since the median is 514 according to MSAR.

SUNY Downstate's 10th percentile MCAT for accepted applicants is 506 so you really should retake it before applying. Especially since the median is 514 according to MSAR.
Dang too high for me lol. I shall try my luck elsewhere

I sent it to the admissions email at least the online forms, I think transcripts need to be mailed

I sent it to the admissions email at least the online forms, I think transcripts need to be mailed
another clarification question, looks like there are 2 emails for admissions. One is the MEDADMISSIONs email and the other is the ADMISSIONS email address. Which one did people send forms to? Also did you send immunization stuff to student health separately or in one bulk email to admissions.

another clarification question, looks like there are 2 emails for admissions. One is the MEDADMISSIONs email and the other is the ADMISSIONS email address. Which one did people send forms to? Also did you send immunization stuff to student health separately or in one bulk email to admissions.
Health Clearance documentation needs to be sent specifically to [email protected] as opposed to other clearance documents being forwarded to the admissions department.

Hey guys
I made an account to let you guys know I got accepted off the waitlist.
Interview 2/13
Waitlist 5/2
Acceptance 5/21

LizzyM 73
Good luck to those waiting.

Reactions: 4 users

I sent it to regular admissions with this in the subject line "Medicine Applicant-Technical Standards Form" and I received an email back saying they received it and it could take two days to show up in the portal

I sent it to regular admissions with this in the subject line "Medicine Applicant-Technical Standards Form" and I received an email back saying they received it and it could take two days to show up in the portal
Thanks snickers!

Hey guys
I made an account to let you guys know I got accepted off the waitlist.
Interview 2/13
Waitlist 5/2
Acceptance 5/21

LizzyM 73
Good luck to those waiting.

Congrats !! Can I ask if you sent all your alternate list forms in yet ?

Withdrawing this week! Hope my seat and funding goes to one of you still checking this thread!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats !! Can I ask if you sent all your alternate list forms in yet ?
I sent in my transcripts through the email services from my universities that had them. One school I sent by mail; not sure if they received them yet. I did the technical standard document and the survey. I still have to do the rest.

Withdrawing now. Hoping that the most qualified and deserving applicants earn my acceptance :D

neurotic alert, but did anyone complete the study styles inventory, and have it not show up on your checklist. I promise im not trying to be annoying, its just that this checklist is the only semblance of control i can exert over this whole process.

neurotic alert, but did anyone complete the study styles inventory, and have it not show up on your checklist. I promise im not trying to be annoying, its just that this checklist is the only semblance of control i can exert over this whole process.

It takes a few days.

I know right! I just gotta do the CPR thing :(

It takes a few days.

I know right! I just gotta do the CPR thing :(

Weirdly enough, I definitely filled out the Study Styles Inventory, last week, and just to make sure I clicked on it and it said I had already filled it out. Then when I went back to check on it today, it didn't say that I had already filled out out, so I'm filling it out again.

Question: I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a pharmacy with the meningitis vaccine; I called one Duane Reade that did have it, and they said I didn't need a prescription for it, but then when I went in they said I did need a prescription for it. I'm sure I've gotten the vaccine before, but I don't have evidence that I've gotten it within the past 5 years. Is it a red flag if I don't get it before matriculating (I'd be happy to get it, if I can find a place/if Downstate wants to give it to me!).

When did you get this email? I just got the Alternate Acknowledgement reply after I sent in the form.

anyone have any clue where we mail forms for the waitlist checklist, also where I can find the medical clearance-related forms?

anyone have any clue where we mail forms for the waitlist checklist, also where I can find the medical clearance-related forms?
Just sent mine to the admissions email! and then sent health related forms to student health

When did you get this email? I just got the Alternate Acknowledgement reply after I sent in the form.
I got the email for the checklist about 1 week after the alternate list acknowledgement. Might just be processing causing the delay!

Does anyone think that completing everything except for the CPR class would impact getting accepted?

Weirdly enough, I definitely filled out the Study Styles Inventory, last week, and just to make sure I clicked on it and it said I had already filled it out. Then when I went back to check on it today, it didn't say that I had already filled out out, so I'm filling it out again.

Question: I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a pharmacy with the meningitis vaccine; I called one Duane Reade that did have it, and they said I didn't need a prescription for it, but then when I went in they said I did need a prescription for it. I'm sure I've gotten the vaccine before, but I don't have evidence that I've gotten it within the past 5 years. Is it a red flag if I don't get it before matriculating (I'd be happy to get it, if I can find a place/if Downstate wants to give it to me!).

I also filled this out last week, the first day and I just checked back now. I have a check mark next to the technical skills form but not the study skills

Accepted off alt list this week.

Any current students have insight on the dorms at downstate? Really I just want to know the odds of M1s being in the double standard room. Is it likely or unlikely unless requested?

Any current students have insight on the dorms at downstate? Really I just want to know the odds of M1s being in the double standard room. Is it likely or unlikely unless requested?
Do you mind sharing when you were waitlisted/when you interviewed?

Interviewed 2/15, P2P 3/13, HFS 4/16, alt list 5/2
Congrats!! and my burning question is... how much of the alternate checklist did you get through?

Congrats! do you mind sharing your stats?