You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Texas Tech University - El Paso
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
@gyngyn
Secondary Application Questions:
Secondary Application Questions:
- "The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions." Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)
- Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)
- The TTUHSC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities." Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)
- Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same, just submitted! Good luck everyone.
.
Last edited:
Random, but for those of you who have submitted your secondary are you able to log back into your account? Somehow I haven't been able to access my account for the past several days.🙁
I also can't seem to access it right now. Submitted earlier today, got a confirmation immediately after.Random, but for those of you who have submitted your secondary are you able to log back into your account? Somehow I haven't been able to access my account for the past several days.🙁
Okay, I assume it's an issue in their system. Thanks for the reply and all the best with applications!I also can't seem to access it right now. Submitted earlier today, got a confirmation immediately after.
I get a 404 error after I login, seems to be on their end.Okay, I assume it's an issue in their system. Thanks for the reply and all the best with applications!
Random, but for those of you who have submitted your secondary are you able to log back into your account? Somehow I haven't been able to access my account for the past several days.🙁
Haven't tried lately, but I submitted last week and was able to log back in the days immediately after.
How long did it take everyone to get a secondary? My TMDSAS was transmitted on 6/12 and I have the secondary pre-written but I still haven't gotten an invitation yet. It's the only Texas school besides Dell that hasn't sent one yet.
Submitted TMDSAS: 5/16
Received PLFSOM Secondary: 5/22
Transmitted TMDSAS 6/21How long did it take everyone to get a secondary? My TMDSAS was transmitted on 6/12 and I have the secondary pre-written but I still haven't gotten an invitation yet. It's the only Texas school besides Dell that hasn't sent one yet.
Received the secondary the next day
Transmitted: 5/31How long did it take everyone to get a secondary? My TMDSAS was transmitted on 6/12 and I have the secondary pre-written but I still haven't gotten an invitation yet. It's the only Texas school besides Dell that hasn't sent one yet.
Received: 6/1
Submitted: 6/23
I've reread this prompt countless times and am still having trouble understanding what it's asking... I'm surprised this prompt hasn't even been edited throughout the years to add clarity...
"Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage...and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree."
If I choose not to talk about a disadvantage but instead go for "experiences," I'm completely lost. What kind of experiences are they looking for exactly? ANY experience that's had significance in my pursuit of an MD? But isn't that what the entirety of our personal statements are supposed to be about??
"Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage...and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree."
If I choose not to talk about a disadvantage but instead go for "experiences," I'm completely lost. What kind of experiences are they looking for exactly? ANY experience that's had significance in my pursuit of an MD? But isn't that what the entirety of our personal statements are supposed to be about??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, that question was a bit hazy for sure. But I imagine that the committee is asking about any experiences that had a significance in your MD pursuit. If you've already discussed this at length in your personal statement, then I don't think there's any harm in mentioning that you've already done so in your personal statement. This way they know that your experience was shared and that you attempted to answer the question. As long as nothing is forced, they'll be good.I've reread this prompt countless times and am still having trouble understanding what it's asking... I'm surprised this prompt hasn't even been edited throughout the years to add clarity...
"Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage...and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree."
If I choose not to talk about a disadvantage but instead go for "experiences," I'm completely lost. What kind of experiences are they looking for exactly? ANY experience that's had significance in my pursuit of an MD? But isn't that what the entirety of our personal statements are supposed to be about??
I'm sure everyone got the email but for those who haven't heard yet, TMDSAS has had some issues transmitting the applications to TTU-El Paso because of the way the application was updated this year. Make sure to check on your app after submitting that it was transmitted to El Paso too! If it wasn't (mine wasn't and I submitted on 5/23) then you email TMDSAS with your name and ID and request it be sent to El Paso also!
I'm sure everyone got the email but for those who haven't heard yet, TMDSAS has had some issues transmitting the applications to TTU-El Paso because of the way the application was updated this year. Make sure to check on your app after submitting that it was transmitted to El Paso too! If it wasn't (mine wasn't and I submitted on 5/23) then you email TMDSAS with your name and ID and request it be sent to El Paso also!
Your avatar! 😀 Bassheads for med school let's go!
Your avatar! 😀 Bassheads for med school let's go!
We got this!
Does El Paso send us 'under review' emails? I never got one from Lubbock - they just send the interview invite email. I was wondering if El Paso will be the same way.
IIs anyone?
Nothing over here 🙁IIs anyone?
Same just got the II!
Email or portal?Same just got the II!
Email or portal?
It was by email.
II here! App complete by 5/25. Invited through email
Congrats guys! What are your stats/timeline if you don't mind sharing? 🙂
Does anyone know if El Paso yield protects?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lizzy M: 70
ORM
Not from El Paso
Everything complete 6/26
The interview dates are 8/3 and 8/10 so far.
ORM
Not from El Paso
Everything complete 6/26
The interview dates are 8/3 and 8/10 so far.
Word up! Congrats to you all!!!
Question: did all who received IIs have LORs in?
My LOR are in.Question: did all who received IIs have LORs in?
Whew! Very happy for the II, but gonna be rough getting to El Paso. On a tight budget, so only reasonable option is to drive 11 hours each way.
Whew! Very happy for the II, but gonna be rough getting to El Paso. On a tight budget, so only reasonable option is to drive 11 hours each way.
DId you get it this morning?/ Where you driving from
DId you get it this morning?/ Where you driving from
PMed you.
Not to sound too neurotic (even though this is SDN), but should I be concerned if I submitted my secondary and everything in early June and still haven't gotten an II for this school? I'm in the same boat for lubbock as well-ppl who submitted everything after me have gotten II's.
I'm in the same boat too! I think we shouldn't worry though, just chillax 🙂Not to sound too neurotic (even though this is SDN), but should I be concerned if I submitted my secondary and everything in early June and still haven't gotten an II for this school? I'm in the same boat for lubbock as well-ppl who submitted everything after me have gotten II's.
In a similar position, but my LORs aren't in.
Currently I have an excuse 🙄
Currently I have an excuse 🙄
Same - submitted secondary 6/25, still no II
+1Same - submitted secondary 6/25, still no II
+1 to no II, submitted secondary 6/25 too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1+1 to no II, submitted secondary 6/25 too.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I submitted back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but my LORs are still MIA so I’m not sure what to think.
Yup, I submitted mine a while back also.