2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May; you have to apply on their application you're not automatically considered. -current student

May?! If they don’t inform students about scholarships before 4/30, don’t they lose a lot of applicants to other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
May?! If they don’t inform students about scholarships before 4/30, don’t they lose a lot of applicants to other schools?
As an OOS student there's no way I could actually commit to coming here if financial info isn't released before 4/30

Reactions: 4 users
As an OOS student there's no way I could actually commit to coming here if financial info isn't released before 4/30

I apologize, I just checked my email and I received my scholarship offer on April 4th. Sorry y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)

I apologize, I just checked my email and I received my scholarship offer on April 4th. Sorry y'all. I think they send out an email about applying for scholarships, but if they don't this is where you apply through (the application isn't live yet). UAB - School of Medicine - School of Medicine Scholarships

I'd imagine you are probably being considered for regular MD than at this point. They have already sent out pre-II rejections according to previous SDN posters, so silence probably means you are still being considered, just no longer for PCT since all the interview slots are filled up already for PCT. If you weren't even a consideration for regular MD, you probably would have received a rejection letter. SO, YES, here's to hoping in the New Year!
got this message from Adcoms yesterday:
"When applicants are not accepted in to the Primary Care Track, you are automatically considered for the regular MD program. We are communicating decisions on a rolling basis and we do not wait until the end of the cycle to notify candidates of their final status. All interview decision will be made by mid-February."

Admissions tweeted this morning no application is required for consideration this year, saying it’s a new process this year.

Got an email for II this morning. OOS, UAB undergrad, also have familial ties to AL. Only choice left was the 22nd. I got v lucky

Reactions: 3 users
Complete 10/6. Did primary care track. Received an email 1/2 that Primary care track interviews were full but I was still being considered for the regular MD program.
When was your application complete?

Any current students willing to answer a few questions via DM?

Hey y’all, I had posted earlier that you weren’t automatically considered for scholarships but in case you didn’t see the admissions tweet, they changed their process this year and you are! So sorry for the wrong info, I just didn’t want anyone to miss out on scholarships but they’ve changed a lot of things this year and scholarships were one of them! If y’all have questions about UAB you can message me anytime!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance calls tomorrow or Friday :xf::xf:
still-waiting-for-admissions-decisions-thumb.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Only because no one's yet shared this, my lovely wife looked on twitter (because SDN is the closest thing to social media in which I engage :p) and found the following (paraphrased) from the admissions twitter feed at about 10:00 AM today:

1. "Acceptance Offer calls going out today." (as disseminated above)
2. "Everyone who interviewed in November has been reviewed."
3. "Most who interviewed in December have been reviewed."
4. "A few who interviewed in January have been reviewed"
5. "Next meeting of the Admissions Committee is 2018-02-22"

Not that helps with nerves for the next hour, but it might be useful information for someone like me who doesn't have twitter.

Only because no one's yet shared this, my lovely wife looked on twitter (because SDN is the closest thing to social media in which I engage :p) and found the following (paraphrased) from the admissions twitter feed at about 10:00 AM today:

1. "Acceptance Offer calls going out today." (as disseminated above)
2. "Everyone who interviewed in November has been reviewed."
3. "Most who interviewed in December have been reviewed."
4. "A few who interviewed in January have been reviewed"
5. "Next meeting of the Admissions Committee is 2018-02-22"

Not that helps with nerves for the next hour, but it might be useful information for someone like me who doesn't have twitter.

So if I had my interview in Novemver and I haven’t received word on what my decisions is, does that mean I am waitlisted or what? Does anyone remember what they said on interview day about this?

So if I had my interview in Novemver and I haven’t received word on what my decisions is, does that mean I am waitlisted or what? Does anyone remember what they said on interview day about this?

Silence is "good". They will tell you something before April under 3 circumstances:
1. Accepted
2. Rejected
3. 3rd-tier Waitlist (the "probably not" answer)

Silence means they haven't come to a decision good or bad yet, which, although it's not an acceptance, is the 2nd-best scenario.

Last edited:
Silence is "good". They will tell you something before April under 3 circumstances:
1. Accepted
2. Rejected
3. 3rd-tier Waitlist (the "probably not" answer)

Silence means they haven't formally rejected or accepted you yet, which, although it's not an acceptance, is the 2nd-best scenario.

Even though they tweeted today all apps from November have already been reviewed?

To anyone that applied to the PCT track. What did you guys think about the whole process? I am hoping to apply this Fall and I want to be 100% ready. Any information would be appreciated.

To anyone that applied to the PCT track. What did you guys think about the whole process? I am hoping to apply this Fall and I want to be 100% ready. Any information would be appreciated.
As far as the application, you literally just check a box on your secondary saying that you are interested in the PCT track, and I want to say it then gave you the option to write a 700 character response as to why. I honestly can’t remember tho.

Even though they tweeted today all apps from November have already been reviewed?
@San Francisco de Quito is correct, no news is good news. Interviewed in Oct. and still haven't heard anything. So you are still under consideration if you haven't received a rejection yet. It is not an indication on whether you will be waitlisted if you haven't heard anything as well. All of this is according to their twitter announcements but please if anyone has heard differently, correct me.

As far as the application, you literally just check a box on your secondary saying that you are interested in the PCT track, and I want to say it then gave you the option to write a 700 character response as to why. I honestly can’t remember tho.
But the process appears to be a lot slower than regular MD! At least I feel this way, not sure about others.

Last edited:

But the process appears to be a lot slower than regular MD! At least I feel this way, not sure about others.

Thank you guys!!! I hate hearing that it is slower than the regular MD :( My goal was to apply to the rural medical program, but the MCAT is killing my timeline lol.

@San Francisco de Quito is correct, no news is good news. Interviewed in Oct. and still haven't heard anything. So you are still under consideration if you haven't received a rejection yet. It is not an indication on whether you will be waitlisted if you haven't heard anything as well. All of this is according to their twitter announcements but please if anyone has heard differently, correct me.

Precisely: they've reviewed you, but after an initial review they haven't come to a decision of accept or reject, and want to hold on for a bit and consider you more compared to the later interviewees. Sorry for the blunt language, but I hope it's better than all the obligatory controlled vocabulary. The good news is they haven't rejected or 3rd-tier waitlisted (ie sentenced you to Sysiphus' fate) you.

Thank you guys!!! I hate hearing that it is slower than the regular MD :( My goal was to apply to the rural medical program, but the MCAT is killing my timeline lol.
Don't get so locked in on a timeline. This is a process and a decision for a life time, so if it takes an extra semester or year to get the ideal results instead of mediocre ones isn't that worth it? As for RMP, you don't need to have taken the MCAT to apply for it. You only need to have a 24+ on the ACT. You'll be required to take the MCAT and make above like a 495 after your acceptance.

Don't get so locked in on a timeline. This is a process and a decision for a life time, so if it takes an extra semester or year to get the ideal results instead of mediocre ones isn't that worth it? As for RMP, you don't need to have taken the MCAT to apply for it. You only need to have a 24+ on the ACT. You'll be required to take the MCAT and make above like a 495 after your acceptance.

VERY true. Thank you for the boost of confidence! Sigh... Long story short, I was a dumb kid in high school (literally and decision wise lol). My ACT score won’t make the cut, so I will have to wait until next year or apply to the PCT track this year!

yes same i feel this way, -interviewed on october 5th but no word, and no worries, whatever happens happens lol

Just wondering, have there been any applicants who were rejected from PCT pre-II who were subsequently offered an II for regular MD?

Just wondering, have there been any applicants who were rejected from PCT pre-II who were subsequently offered an II for regular MD?
Yes, I was informed via email that I would not be considered for the pct anymore but subsequently was offered a regular MD II around 1-2 month after

i know that campus preferences for UAB are due soon. do we still submit our preferences if we haven't heard back from UAB yet?

i know that campus preferences for UAB are due soon. do we still submit our preferences if we haven't heard back from UAB yet?

I believe so...I'm PCT so it's Tuscaloosa or bust for me, but I believe from past applications that they want that from you as long as you're currently "not rejected".

Just got the acceptance call this morning!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if they typically wait to give OOS post-interview decisions later in the cycle due to their in-state preference?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Accepted! Primary Care Track, interviewed 2018-01-11. I hope to hear more good news for you all as well throughout today! And as cliched as it sounds, if anyone doesn't hear good news this year, if, after hard Socratic introspection, this is still your dream/calling/what have you, I can't encourage you enough keep working hard/humbly toward it. My first early decision UASOM interview was 5.5 years ago now, and after 2 waitlist placements in 5 years (and a second terrible summer of MCAT when my old one expired) I just got in today. So it may take painfully long, but if it's meant to be and you keep resiliently/stubbornly/humbly putting in the work to grow, it'll happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!! It still feels unreal
Interviewed 01/18, OOS

Reactions: 4 users
Did you receive an email right after the call or do they send it out when they update the portal?
At my interview day, we were told that the email is sent out toward the end of the day. They like to keep it personal by calling first. If that helps?

At my interview day, we were told that the email is sent out toward the end of the day. They like to keep it personal by calling first. If that helps?
Thanks! I missed a call from Birmingham earlier, but they didn't leave a voicemail. I am just anxious to hear from them since I interviewed in October.

Thanks! I missed a call from Birmingham earlier, but they didn't leave a voicemail. I am just anxious to hear from them since I interviewed in October.
Fingers crossed!!!!

Glad to hear that! I just interviewed yesterday OOS and I was a little blown away by the program.
Yeah it’s pretty amazing!! I was very impressed with their school:) hopefully you’ll be hearing some good news soon!

Glad to hear that! I just interviewed yesterday OOS and I was a little blown away by the program.

I'm also OOS and interviewed a few weeks ago. I was blown away by the school and program too! The facilities are awesome and everyone is so nice. Hope to hear good news too in the coming weeks!

anddddd rejected pre-II from regular MD couple days ago - LM 65, OOS, URM with lots of research, clinical, and publications -- good luck everyone else still in the running :D

anddddd rejected pre-II from regular MD couple days ago - LM 65, OOS, URM with lots of research, clinical, and publications -- good luck everyone else still in the running :D[/QUOTE

Sorry to hear, this process is something else. Hopefully you've got some other schools that you're waiting to hear on, best of luck!