2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am reading their admissions guidelines and it states that "With an exception for Re-applicants, once the Secondary Application has been submitted no further information will be added to an applicant’s application file."

I interviewed back in early January and via Twitter most of the apps on my day were reviewed and I, unfortunately, didn't hear back (however thankful didn't get rejected/3rd tier wait list). UAB is my top choice school and I really want to go here and so am now considering writing a letter of intent. However, I guess per admissions guidelines it seems this material for a first-time applicant won't be considered, however, there is an option on the secondary application software to upload documents such as a letter of intent. Should I go ahead and submit or just keep on waiting until an admissions decision is made.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am reading their admissions guidelines and it states that "With an exception for Re-applicants, once the Secondary Application has been submitted no further information will be added to an applicant’s application file."

I interviewed back in early January and via Twitter most of the apps on my day were reviewed and I, unfortunately, didn't hear back (however thankful didn't get rejected/3rd tier wait list). UAB is my top choice school and I really want to go here and so am now considering writing a letter of intent. However, I guess per admissions guidelines it seems this material for a first-time applicant won't be considered, however, there is an option on the secondary application software to upload documents such as a letter of intent. Should I go ahead and submit or just keep on waiting until an admissions decision is made.

I'm pretty sure they accept letters of intent/interest, etc. That admissions guidelines PDF on their website is from a couple years ago I think.

I'm pretty sure they accept letters of intent/interest, etc. That admissions guidelines PDF on their website is from a couple years ago I think.
I sent an Update Letter in January and was invited to interview in February. Just to back this up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know any more information about the Hudson Insitute in Huntsville? It looks like a really great way to round out the community based environment of the Huntsiville campus with a more academic research center.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know any more information about the Hudson Insitute in Huntsville? It looks like a really great way to round out the community based environment of the Huntsiville campus with a more academic research center.
So I'm not terribly familiar with their current projects, but we had a researcher from HA present to a personalized medicine class and basically they do interesting (IMO) medical genetics/omics work. It's relatively new, and though it's partnered with UASOM, there's not been much opportunity in the past for, say, students to be involved with research projects/scholarly activity and such, but that *should be changing* as they've recently gotten a few big NIH grants I believe, and faculty and students have been working to try and start establish collaboration.

So I'm not terribly familiar with their current projects, but we had a researcher from HA present to a personalized medicine class and basically they do interesting (IMO) medical genetics/omics work. It's relatively new, and though it's partnered with UASOM, there's not been much opportunity in the past for, say, students to be involved with research projects/scholarly activity and such, but that *should be changing* as they've recently gotten a few big NIH grants I believe, and faculty and students have been working to try and start establish collaboration.
Good to know, thank you so much!

Does anybody know if it will really take UAB until April 1 to release campus assignments? Just wondering if they tend to go out close to the date they say, or earlier. I can check previous years threads, but I figured I would ask here first.

I've been silently scrolling through this thread for months now but I'm so happy for everyone that was accepted! It gives me hope when I apply in a few cycles since I'm OOS! Many of you make me realize that I still have a ways to go before I can dream of applying :xf: This school has an amazing facility and is blessed to have all of the new arrivals. Even for those who didn't get accepted, just keep hustling while remaining humble and true to yourself! Like San Francisco de Quito said, it may take some time to get there but you WILL get there!

From what I have comprehended from various school threads, this cycle has been one for the books. It has been a learning curve for everyone involved and for those of us eagerly awaiting for our chance. I wish everyone the best and that you will all prosper in your dreams and goals! :biglove:

Last edited:
Accepted!! So ecstatic. PCT. Interviewed on 1/11. LizzyM~68. See everyone in Birmingham come Fall.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you IS or OOS?

IS. Also write a LOI if you truly want to go here! I wrote one, and though I can't directly attribute to my acceptance, I can say that I wrote it a few days before most recent adcom and then yesterday I got in. I think next ad com is another couple of weeks so go ahead and start drafting and crafting your letters if UABSOM is truly where you want to be on July 23. Just my two cents and hopes this benefits someone...

Reactions: 3 users
IS. Also write a LOI if you truly want to go here! I wrote one, and though I can't directly attribute to my acceptance, I can say that I wrote it a few days before most recent adcom and then yesterday I got in. I think next ad com is another couple of weeks so go ahead and start drafting and crafting your letters if UABSOM is truly where you want to be on July 23. Just my two cents and hopes this benefits someone...
Who did you address the letter to? (Dear Admissions Committee? or Dr. Grabowski and Dr. Swecker?)

Well I addressed my LOI to the Adcom but from a recent tweets looks like writing it wont be worthwhile until later in the cycle. Per twitter they wont review such letter until May/June when taking individuals off the wait list :/.

Does anyone know when scholarship/financial aid packages will be released?

Looks like Mid-April... although the tweets implies they have already given some out.

Thank you! Looks like they saw my post and responded LOL Wondering, was anyone on this thread included in previous rounds of scholarship distribution and can comment on if it's a comprehensive package with FAFSA as well? Need-based versus Merit?

Thank you! Looks like they saw my post and responded LOL Wondering, was anyone on this thread included in previous rounds of scholarship distribution and can comment on if it's a comprehensive package with FAFSA as well? Need-based versus Merit?

I was offered a scholarship, which I presume was merit-based since it was not a comprehensive package. I don’t think full financial aid packages (i.e., including loans) come out until later - maybe even after traffic day.

I was offered a scholarship, which I presume was merit-based since it was not a comprehensive package. I don’t think full financial aid packages (i.e., including loans) come out until later - maybe even after traffic day.
If this is too personal feel free to ignore! Were you happy with your offer?

If this is too personal feel free to ignore! Were you happy with your offer?

I was happy with my offer. I mean, I was pretty thrilled to be offered a scholarship at all!

Has anyone seen UAB’s match list yet?

I was happy with my offer. I mean, I was pretty thrilled to be offered a scholarship at all!

Has anyone seen UAB’s match list yet?
Yes, it's up on their website.

Do you think if I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything at all, I should start the reapplication process? I am OOS

Do you think if I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything at all, I should start the reapplication process? I am OOS

I wouldn't start til May (unless you have to restudy for MCAT or what not) but if you are just trying to apply again, I think you probably can complete in a month's time - but that's up to your time management ~ waitlist should come out soon and you might have a better idea of what's going to happen, but if you're utterly bored, it may not be bad to start drafting ideas for a new personal statement, or writing new activities/editing old ones ~

Does anyone remember what they said about the waitlist tiers and their chances of acceptance? Do they usually go through the entire first tier? Some of the second? etc...

Does anyone remember what they said about the waitlist tiers and their chances of acceptance? Do they usually go through the entire first tier? Some of the second? etc...
I believe in past years it was all of the 1st tier and ~ 1/2 the second tier. However, they also stated this year they were looking at giving more outright initial acceptances so I suspect the number accepted off the wait-list could be less than usual. Hard to say.

Reactions: 3 users
FYI - Campus assignments are posted (at least mine is). Look under the "pre-matriculation" tab on the admissions portal page.

Does anyone know how their anatomy course is structured? Is it spread out over two Years and is it prosected already?

Does anyone know how their anatomy course is structured? Is it spread out over two Years and is it prosected already?
The curriculum is based on intergrated systems and the cadavers are not prosected already.

I believe in past years it was all of the 1st tier and ~ 1/2 the second tier. However, they also stated this year they were looking at giving more outright initial acceptances so I suspect the number accepted off the wait-list could be less than usual. Hard to say.

So this is the first actual year of them using this system -- they've adopted it from other programs, namely OUWB; over there that's where the anticipated "past year data" comes from, but every school is different and it may or may not reflect their "anticipated" results~

Does anyone know how many people they place in each tier of the waitlist? Or have they ever disclosed this information?

In case anyone has been anxiously waiting for info about financial aid (federal/loans) and (like me) doesn't check FB often, I thought I'd share this.

I suppose it shouldn't hold much bearing as Unsub Fed loans are for everyone up to aggregate lifetime limits, and PLUS loans will cover the difference between other aid and COL as long as your/your parent/guardian's credit doesn't suck, but I guess a part of me was hoping to see in black and white the couple hundred thousand dollars I'll be borrowing to pay for these next 4 years. Plus I didn't feel like doing the math myself.

From talking to a current M1, basically they have us go through a crash course during orientation, and then a student panel for questions.
Screenshot_20180415-175553.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

For those of you who received scholarship offer calls, did you get an email also?

Anyone heard about waitlist movement yet? Starting to get concerned that we haven't seen any here on sdn

Anyone heard about waitlist movement yet? Starting to get concerned that we haven't seen any here on sdn
The impression I got from them is that we won’t find anything out until end of May or first of June.

This is hearsay, but I heard earlier today about someone from the first tier WL getting in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Just found out my buddy got off the waitlist this morning. Any movement is good news

Got off the waitlist this past week, there's been movement!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile