2017-2018 University of Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview at Pitt next week. It's my first interview. I'm an RN and a nontrad student (like really nontrad -- I'm 34). I'm really just hoping it doesn't hurt me too much being late in the process. I didn't apply until October ... not because I procrastinated/couldn't be bothered, but because it was July when I decided that this was the year to stop thinking/talking about med school and actually do it! Fingers crossed they still have some room left ...
I wish you the best! Everyone seemed enthusiastic and friendly, interviewers especially, and it seemed like they really made an effort to match me with interviewers with interests in common. The group activities were also fun and collaborative, so I hope you have an enjoyable interview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any feedback on the BMP program at UPitt and its ties to the MD school?

I have an interview at Pitt next week. It's my first interview. I'm an RN and a nontrad student (like really nontrad -- I'm 34). I'm really just hoping it doesn't hurt me too much being late in the process. I didn't apply until October ... not because I procrastinated/couldn't be bothered, but because it was July when I decided that this was the year to stop thinking/talking about med school and actually do it! Fingers crossed they still have some room left ...

Pitt does not do rolling admissions! So, in theory, the date you interview should not affect your decision outcome. Many of my classmates interviewed later in the cycle, and I know specifically of one friend who interviewed on the last day of the cycle last year.

Just make sure to shine bright during the interview ! Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt does not do rolling admissions! So, in theory, the date you interview should not affect your decision outcome. Many of my classmates interviewed later in the cycle, and I know specifically of one friend who interviewed on the last day of the cycle last year.

Just make sure to shine bright during the interview ! Good luck

Glad to hear! I wasn’t sure if they did or not. I’m not the very last day, but in the last week, ha ha

Is the student interview closed file and the faculty interview open file? I'm interviewing during their last week of interviews but have been having a hard time getting much information about the interview day itself, and this was implied in last year's thread.

Is the student interview closed file and the faculty interview open file? I'm interviewing during their last week of interviews but have been having a hard time getting much information about the interview day itself, and this was implied in last year's thread.
Yep, closed file student interview (hometown/undergrad institution provided), and open file faculty interview with GPA/MCAT withheld I believe.

When does Pitt release decisions? They didn't mention that during my interview day. And do all decicions come out the same day or in waves?

When does Pitt release decisions? They didn't mention that during my interview day. And do all decicions come out the same day or in waves?
January 31st I believe, and I think they all come out the same day.

Reactions: 4 users
See you all 12/13 peeps tomorrow! If anyone is staying Wednesday night as well and wants to grab dinner after the interview day, let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They said decisions are sent by regular mail on Jan 30th. They don’t email decisions, but if you don’t want to wait you can log in to the website after that date and it will show your status as changed.

To those who sent updates, did Pitt acknowledge you? Every other school that I've updated, I've received some sort of acknowledgement that it was received or that it will be added to my file. I haven't heard anything from Pitt, but I'd like to hear other people's experiences before I bother them.

I’ve sent a couple updates and I got confirmation. It took a day or so but they did say they will attach it to my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day went really well! I'm hopeful for Jan 31st. Hope everyone else had a wonderful interview day!

Reactions: 3 users
To those who sent updates, did Pitt acknowledge you? Every other school that I've updated, I've received some sort of acknowledgement that it was received or that it will be added to my file. I haven't heard anything from Pitt, but I'd like to hear other people's experiences before I bother them.

Did you end up getting confirmation? Also sent in a letter last week but haven't heard back about it and wondering if I should call them to make sure it found its way

I tried calling on Friday to see if they got something I sent in after my interview but they are closed till after New Years.

Anyone else hate the fact that the withdraw button is right next to the log out button? lol.

Hey all! I'm a rising M2 at Pitt - happy to answer any questions about Pitt Med, Pittsburgh, or the application process.
How is the night life? Do you stay in Pitt (bars clubs?) or do people leave Pitt?

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck! I'll be matriculating here in the fall. I also went to undergrad here, so if you have any questions about Pittsburgh or Pitt, let me know!
How is the med school night life? What do people do?

How is the med school night life? What do people do?

If you didn't mean drink-wise, lemme know and I can talk about other things we do.

TLDR: People from larger cities think the nightlife scene is lame. People like me, who are from smaller areas/who have lived in Pittsburgh for many years enjoy themselves and find regular spots.

It depends on what you like. In terms of bars and such, there are a lot to choose from and many neighborhoods. South side and Shadyside bars are the go to because you usually end up living around those neighborhoods. I prefer South Side. Neither of these places are ones where you super dress up and the music generally consists of top 40 hits, but I've enjoyed myself. Bars in Oakland are usually better for those fresh out of college or in college. Lot of undergrads. There are nicer bars in the Strip District, Lawrenceville (hipstery area), and Downtown. You can find anything really. Even one lot where people being puppies and you pet then while drinking beer. Dancing happens at some bars but not all. Just have to scope them out.

Has anyone sent a letter of interest? I' thinking about if but wanna save it just in case I get waitlisted.

Has anyone sent a letter of interest? I' thinking about if but wanna save it just in case I get waitlisted.
Same here.. I think at this stage they already made their decision about your application. I am saving mine for the waitlist scenario.

515. I think it is just a rough metric though and they only care about research. If you're MCAT was good enough to get an interview at Pitt it should be good enough for PSTP. The people who review our PSTP applications are research faculty, not adcoms.

I was under the impression that pSTP interviews began late janary, so before Pitt med lets us know of our status.

Ohhhh ok makes sense!

Also, anyone know when they release decisions? Is it the morning of February 1st? I know they said they'd call and email us, but I also remember them saying we can spam the portal to check or something similar.

Also, anyone know when they release decisions? Is it the morning of February 1st? I know they said they'd call and email us, but I also remember them saying we can spam the portal to check or something similar.

In my notes I have Jan 31st is when admission results are released (accepted, WL Tier 1, WL Tier 2, rejected). I think they said emails and then a letter will be mailed via snail mail as well. I'm not sure about phone calls. Either way, this wait sucks haha.

I think I remember them saying that people spammed the portal last year, so to prevent their website from crashing, they will send an email when the portal is updated.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha I have a feeling people aren't going to wait for an email to obsessively check their portal. Does anyone know the likelihood of acceptance, based on the wait list tiers?

I think traditionally, Pitt has a lot of waitlist movement so if you're on WL1 you have a decent shot at getting accepted.

Haha I have a feeling people aren't going to wait for an email to obsessively check their portal. Does anyone know the likelihood of acceptance, based on the wait list tiers?

According to what previous students have said, the year before me (I'm an MS-1) they made it into the second tier waitlist. Our year was a little odd in that there wasn't quite as much movement but there was still a decent amount.

Pitt loves to waitlist people. So if you get put on one, definitely wait it out. I was waitlisted and was accepted like two/three weeks later.

According to what previous students have said, the year before me (I'm an MS-1) they made it into the second tier waitlist. Our year was a little odd in that there wasn't quite as much movement but there was still a decent amount.

Pitt loves to waitlist people. So if you get put on one, definitely wait it out. I was waitlisted and was accepted like two/three weeks later.

Did you send a letter of interest before your acceptance?

Did you send a letter of interest before your acceptance?

Nope, I was feeling lazy, so I didn't. By the time I thought about maybe doing it, I was accepted.

Anybody know how strict Pitt is on pre-reqs?

I'm non-trad and haven't taken Ochem 2/lab yet and am struggling to find a class that doesn't interfere with either of my current jobs. The other school that I'm holding an acceptance from lets me sub biochem for it instead. Think Pitt would let me do the same/similar or are they notably strict on that kinda stuff?

Anybody know how strict Pitt is on pre-reqs?
I'm non-trad and haven't taken Ochem 2/lab yet and am struggling to find a class that doesn't interfere with either of my current jobs. The other school that I'm holding an acceptance from lets me sub biochem for it instead. Think Pitt would let me do the same/similar or are they notably strict on that kinda stuff?

I'd call them and find out. Best to get this sort of information straight from them. They are super nice.

I have a question for everyone. How long does it take for Pitt to upload or receive letters of recommendation after AMCAS sends it to them? Does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it was automatically updated to our profile when we submitted our secondary, probably within a week or two. Can anyone else verify?

super nervous about decisions being sent out in less than 2 weeks!!

i'm going to try to forget about it....but my anxiety is going to get much, much worse before it (hopefully!!) gets better!

Reactions: 4 users
super nervous about decisions being sent out in less than 2 weeks!!

i'm going to try to forget about it....but my anxiety is going to get much, much worse before it (hopefully!!) gets better!

Fade me now fam, Pitt will be the first school I hear back from post-II. I'm dreading the day it comes.