2017-2018 University of Texas - Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So far only one OOS got an interview, any other OOSers? Does anyone know if they interview OOS applicants way later in the cycle? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Got an II today for 8/25. Transmitted TMDSAS 6/13. LizzyM 68. Reapplicant who interviewed here last year and was on waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my II for 8/11 a couple of weeks ago but just got another email about housing for the night before interview.

Does anyone know what the stats for UTMB are in terms of # interviewed vs. # accepted?

Does anyone know what the stats for UTMB are in terms of # interviewed vs. # accepted?
According to MSAR, 1090 interview and 230 matriculate total last year (for both in-state and out-of-state). However, I do not know # accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
II today Scheduled for 8/18!
Transmitted: 6/12
LizzyM: 66 (ORM)

Reactions: 1 user
Received my II for 8/11 a couple of weeks ago but just got another email about housing for the night before interview.
Are you doing the housing option? I am interviewing 8/18 and am trying to decide on it.

I believe the big three Texas schools accept roughly 400 students before matriculating 230/240.

Congrats to the IIs!!
I'm assuming the big three TX schools are UTMB, McGovern, and UT San Antonio?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody renting a car from Hobby to Galveston on August 24th? I'll pay half!

Anybody renting a car from Hobby to Galveston on August 24th? I'll pay half!
Ill Pay all of it if you get me into the interview too!

Reactions: 6 users
Really hoping for a II here! Come on UTMB!

Can you update how it goes? :)
Yeah I can! But they suggest signing up at least 10 days before your interview and your interview is a week after mine so you should sign up for it anyway to ensure housing.

Anybody interested in carpooling from Houston to Galveston on Aug 10 and the other way the next day? PM me

How long do they typically take to send the "we've received your primary" email after it is transmitted?

So far only one OOS got an interview, any other OOSers? Does anyone know if they interview OOS applicants way later in the cycle? Thanks!

I think they may actually interview OOS earlier because they can give OOS acceptance letters after October 16 unlike in state where we have to wait until November 15 to get any letters that are not early decision programs. This only applies to Texas schools I think.

Will be interviewing on the 25th of August. Can't wait to hopefully meet some of you there

anyone want to carpool from Houston to Galveston on the 17th? Also going to the night before social that same day, if anyone needs a ride. Pm me!

II for 9/22. Non-trad, IS, Lizzy M 69-70, white male.

I'm flying into Houston this Thursday, August 3, around 9:00 P.M. I'm picking up a rental car and driving down to Galveston. If anyone needs a ride from the airport around that time I am happy to drive you. I am not asking for any money since I'm getting the rental regardless. However, since I'll be getting in relatively late, I'm not willing to do any detours. Just HOU -> Galveston.

Can anyone speak to the clinical experiences available thru UTMB?

Hey there! I'm an MS2, so I don't have any firsthand experience with respect to the actual third and fourth year rotations. However, UTMB does offer many opportunities for early clinical exposure:

-During first year, you will have four clinical site visits over the course of the year. This will be a longitudinal experience with the same clinic for all four visits. Each visit will last for an afternoon, and will give you an opportunity to practice taking histories and performing physical exams.

-During second year, you will have 10 clinical experience days. These will have you rotating through several different specialties (e.g. primary care, surgery, pediatrics, psych, derm, etc).

-There are several optional programs that can get you additional early clinical exposure. SCOPE is a program that focuses on continuity care; in this program, you will have your own patient base that you see over your four years of medical school. This entails additional clinic days that your peers will not have. There are also several tracks that have associated clinically-oriented summer preceptorships (off the top of my head, I believe Physician Healer Track, Global Health Track, and Bilingual Health Track all have clinical components to their summer programs). Plus, even if you do not participate in a track (many students don't), you can still apply for summer clinical preceptorships and spend four or eight weeks working under a physician from any number of specialties.

-Last but not least, my personal favorite: The St. Vincent's Clinic. St. Vincent's is a local student-run free clinic that provides healthcare to much of Galveston's underserved population. The clinic is open three days a week, and you can start volunteering from your first month of your first year. The students do everything. You call your patient back, take their history, and perform a relevant physical exam. You'll then present the case and your plan to a member of the faculty, who will help you flesh things out and expand on any areas of learning opportunity. Faculty will then see the patient with you (to make sure nothing is missed). You draw your own labwork and write out all the prescriptions (which will, of course, be signed off on by the actual doc). It is a great way to get early clinical exposure and also to give back to the Galveston community.

If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. I'm on here sporadically (just depends on how busy my week is), but I promise I will get back to you eventually.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey there! I'm an MS2, so I don't have any firsthand experience with respect to the actual third and fourth year rotations. However, UTMB does offer many opportunities for early clinical exposure:

-During first year, you will have four clinical site visits over the course of the year. This will be a longitudinal experience with the same clinic for all four visits. Each visit will last for an afternoon, and will give you an opportunity to practice taking histories and performing physical exams.

-During second year, you will have 10 clinical experience days. These will have you rotating through several different specialties (e.g. primary care, surgery, pediatrics, psych, derm, etc).

-There are several optional programs that can get you additional early clinical exposure. SCOPE is a program that focuses on continuity care; in this program, you will have your own patient base that you see over your four years of medical school. This entails additional clinic days that your peers will not have. There are also several tracks that have associated clinically-oriented summer preceptorships (off the top of my head, I believe Physician Healer Track, Global Health Track, and Bilingual Health Track all have clinical components to their summer programs). Plus, even if you do not participate in a track (many students don't), you can still apply for summer clinical preceptorships and spend four or eight weeks working under a physician from any number of specialties.

-Last but not least, my personal favorite: The St. Vincent's Clinic. St. Vincent's is a local student-run free clinic that provides healthcare to much of Galveston's underserved population. The clinic is open three days a week, and you can start volunteering from your first month of your first year. The students do everything. You call your patient back, take their history, and perform a relevant physical exam. You'll then present the case and your plan to a member of the faculty, who will help you flesh things out and expand on any areas of learning opportunity. Faculty will then see the patient with you (to make sure nothing is missed). You draw your own labwork and write out all the prescriptions (which will, of course, be signed off on by the actual doc). It is a great way to get early clinical exposure and also to give back to the Galveston community.

If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. I'm on here sporadically (just depends on how busy my week is), but I promise I will get back to you eventually.

Thank you so much! This was really informative. I LOVE free clinic opportunities.

Thank you for dropping by! quick question. The utmb website says grading is f/p/hp/h, but sdn says it's p/f now. Looking for the intel from the horse's mouth, as it were.

The first two years are pass/fail. It is internally ranked for the purposes of determining honor society membership, but residency programs will not have access to your actual grade. For clinical years, it switches over to the traditional H/HP/P/F.

Hey thanks so much for answering our questions. What about research opportunities? Is it relatively easy to get involved? What is UTMB known for?

Hey thanks so much for answering our questions. What about research opportunities? Is it relatively easy to get involved? What is UTMB known for?

There are a ton of research opportunities. If you are really interested in research, you should definitely look into the Translational Research Track. This program will set you up with an eight-week research preceptorship the summer between first and second year, and also includes research electives during third and fourth year.

Even if you don't do TRT, it looks to be pretty easy to get involved in research. There are many different speakers who give lectures during the first two years of med school, and most of them are very receptive to talking with students after class about their specific research. Even if they aren't looking to take anyone on to their current projects, they might be able to put you in contact with a colleague who has space available. Really, this extends beyond research ... if you come across a doctor whose field interests you, ask them if they are receptive to having students shadow. A bunch of people in my class (myself included) have done this, and from what I have seen, the doctors who take the time to lecture or teach small groups are truly happy to show their field to the next generation of physicians.

UTMB is also home to the Galveston National Laboratory, which is one of only two national biocontainment laboratories in the country (I believe the other is in Boston). They were the first biosafety level 4 facility established on a university campus, and do a lot of work with Zika, Ebola, drug-resistant TB, etc.

Also, if you get a chance, you should look up the TED talk given by Dr. Joan Nichols. She happens to be the course director for Pathobiology and Host Defenses, which you will take in second semester of first year. The woman is straight up bioengineering a set of lungs, and yet she takes the time to teach immunology and pathology to first year medical students. Amazing.

If you interview at UTMB, I highly recommend attending the night before social. UTMB is a really diverse school; we have a large student body and a pretty big campus, and so it's pretty easy to find your niche. Research isn't a huge area of interest for me personally, but I guarantee that if you talk to a handful of current students, you will find someone who can give you much more information about available research opportunities than I ever could.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if not attending the night before social will be detrimental to my application or is frowned upon? I have an interview the day before, and my flight will not be able to land until an hour after the social starts :(

If i was in that position, i would just show up late. Assuming you want to go.
it sounds pretty informal. If you can wear jeans, you can be late due to air-travel.

My flight would land around 7:30, but the social ends at 8. And it takes an hour to get to Galveston from Hobby. :/

I could choose another interview date for my other school, but it would really mess up my schedule.

My flight would land around 7:30, but the social ends at 8. And it takes an hour to get to Galveston from Hobby. :/

I could choose another interview date for my other school, but it would really mess up my schedule.
It is truly optional, don't worry about missing the social mixer. And congrats on so many interviews!

Does anyone know if not attending the night before social will be detrimental to my application or is frowned upon? I have an interview the day before, and my flight will not be able to land until an hour after the social starts :(

The night before social has no bearing on your application whatsoever. While it's a nice chance to learn more about UTMB in a really casual atmosphere, you definitely shouldn't stress about trying to attend if it's going to be too much of a strain on your schedule. You want to be refreshed and relaxed for interview day. (And hey, if you ask me, having multiple interviews lined up in a row is a pretty good problem to have!)

I am also in a very similar situation. Interview the day before, and can no longer attend the night before

What do we wear to the social? Shorts and a tee or more formal?

QUESTION: Is anyone interviewing on 9/1 going to be renting a car to drive to Galveston from Hobby pretty late at night? (like 9 or 10 pm) If so, I would love to split the costs and ride with!

Guy: Bright florescent speedos
Gals: Monokinis

Galveston is really laid back and humid, so jeans, t-shirt, shorts, whatever you are comfortable to sweat in, etc.

I've heard that the social is casual. But that being said, I'd probably stick with wearing jeans and a nice shirt (basically anything that's not vulgar or rude)