2017-2018 University of Texas - Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do we wear to the social? Shorts and a tee or more formal?
khakis & polo or button shirt for guys, blouse & casual skirt for girls, or blouse & pants. Nothing too casual or bare (though the upper class students will probably be in shorts and tees)

Members don't see this ad.

Just found the II in my spam folder lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those that interviewed today! How'd it go? Any tips for future interviewees?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those that interviewed today! How'd it go? Any tips for future interviewees?

Very nice students who seem genuinely fond of UTMB. Feelings on the location were mixed. No one appeard to dislike Galveston, but some people clearly would have preferred to be in a big city.

The interviews were very conversational and stress free.

The other interviewees I met were super friendly.

This was my first time in Galveston and at UTMB. I was impressed.

Reactions: 4 users
Best of luck to all those driving/flying to Galveston the next two days! I just stumbled upon this post in my frenzied, last minute interview prep.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It seems their interviews are running one open file, one closed file. So keep that in mind and make sure you sell yourself to the person who knows nothing about you.

I think it depends, both of mine ended up being closed file.

Gotta be honest, it was obvious neither of my interviewers had reviewed my file. One guy opened my file and just read off it, asking questions as he went. He particularly challenged me on why I applied to *redacted other school* for some reason...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
My interviews were both open file.. although one guy switched to close file midway

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta be honest, it was obvious neither of my interviewers had reviewed my file. One guy opened my file and just read off it, asking questions as he went. He particularly challenged me on why I applied to mayo for some reason...
How the heck did he know where you applied?

It seems their interviews are running one open file, one closed file. So keep that in mind and make sure you sell yourself to the person who knows nothing about you.

They told us during the intro that our interviewers had our full app minus GPA and MCAT. Neither of my interviewers has read my app. One told me that right at the beginning. Other interviewees felt the same. I have no idea how they use those interviews to sort people. Maybe it's just a pass/fail type thing meant to eliminate applicants severely lacking in social skills.

Reactions: 1 users
They told us during the intro that our interviewers had our full app minus GPA and MCAT. Neither of my interviewers has read my app. One told me that right at the beginning. Other interviewees felt the same. I have no idea how they use those interviews to sort people. Maybe it's just a pass/fail type thing meant to eliminate applicants severely lacking in social skills.
It seemed like everyone I spoke to had different experiences with the interview. For me, one interviewer seemed very well informed regarding my app and clearly read my essays, but the other one didn't. It makes me think this process isn't really standardized and like you said seems fairly pass/fail.

I must have missed this part in the intro. I spoke with many who had the same impression that one interview did not have their application. Nonetheless, if they have not read your app they make it pretty apparent.

I had one open and one closed yesterday.

After reading last years thread and my experience yesterday, it looks like both interviewers have access to your file, but some may chose to not read it. My closed file interviewer showed me the rubric the use to grade and it has 7 sections graded 1 to 5 and each section has a spot for comments. How the school uses that rubric I'm not sure, but I guess that is what they use to standardize them.

I had one open and one closed yesterday.

After reading last years thread and my experience yesterday, it looks like both interviewers have access to your file, but some may chose to not read it. My closed file interviewer showed me the rubric the use to grade and it has 7 sections graded 1 to 5 and each section has a spot for comments. How the school uses that rubric I'm not sure, but I guess that is what they use to standardize them.

Neither of my interviewers wrote anything down either o_O

Gotta be honest, it was obvious neither of my interviewers had reviewed my file. One guy opened my file and just read off it, asking questions as he went. He particularly challenged me on why I applied to *redacted other school* for some reason...
If this happened, do you think they would react negatively to applying through AMCAS to schools outside of TX?

If this happened, do you think they would react negatively to applying through AMCAS to schools outside of TX?
I think it probably depends on how you answer it. If you applied to a bunch of top tier schools and present it like you're at x Texas school as a backup, then yeah it could hurt. I was actually extremely uncomfortable with the line of questioning regarding where else I had applied, but I guess my interviewer had also attended an elite institution so I'm not quite sure what his/her angle was in asking. Perhaps it was to gauge my interest in UTMB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is information that UTMB doesn't necessarily make apparent to applicants who are diverse in their interests. In fact, even the medical students or admissions don't know some of these items that may be pertinent to your case. I've put more manhours into choosing which Texas medical school to attend over my application and MCAT combined.

Perhaps my thought process might help you indicate areas of interest you already have and can prove OR help you make an informed decision. I'm in UTMB SOM and I seriously think UTMB is a hidden gem in my case. Here's why.

Education/Curriculum: It's a great program that focuses on education quality. The curriculum is PBL focused, PBL cases are painstakingly made (I saw the process and number/quality of revisions) to maximize retention on patient stories. It's hard to describe concisely, but it's definitely an art form, that is practical as well. Few schools can master this. According to the Town Hall meeting slides (not publicly available to outside UTMB, but you can probably find someone with access to it to show you), the 2019 class got an average of 241 on USMLE Step 1, past the magical coveted 240. Considering that we admit ~250 medical school applicants around 3.8/32, I'd say it's not a preselection bias or error that resulted in a high score, as you might see in certain "top medical schools" that don't care about your education, comprised of a significant amount of "loners", and constantly remind you of their Nobel laureate count snobbishly. I personally know educators at UTMB that design the curriculum and showed me how they changed the curriculum significantly several years ago to make the jump from sub 220s.

Reputation/Network: It's not apparent to many applicants, but UTMB has some really old ties relative to other medical schools, since we're the oldest state medical school and part of TMC. It's a little known fact that MD Anderson (#1 in Oncology worldwide, UTMB, MD Anderson to collaborate on League City campus | MD Anderson Cancer Center) is going to partner with UTMB in League City Campus for a cancer clinic, to be finished in 2018. The first partnership MDA is doing with a UT institution. UTMB is not the top medical school (UTSW/Baylor) in terms of pure research prestige, but it is absolutely reputable enough (~top 40 NIH funding) to secure top partnerships, relative to UTH, UTSA and Texas A&M. Also, it has much better international than national reputation, because UTMB does more research in ID/epidemiology which impacts a lot more people worldwide, a huge plus for public health. Look at the match list for UTMB. You have a good shot at any residency. The long-time, exclusive contract with TDCJ also provides one of the most diverse patient populations.

Perception: The doctors and community are well-known for chillness and patient satisfaction relative to all other Texas schools. When you're in Galveston/Houston/Austin, you'll get a lot of instant "social proof" without the awkwardness of "ivory tower" prestige. In case you don't know what I mean, my dad went to Harvard and the phenomenon is commonly known as "dropping the H-bomb" within those circles. Also, starting off with any conversation with the beach and cruises gives others a comfortable feeling. But that's more of a personal preference to have a "best of both worlds" duality when I get into a well-known residency.

Location: Location wise, Galveston is not a big city, but it's one of the top 3 best ROI vacation rental areas in the nation, and you can get some nice touristy stuff in between the 4 years when you have time. You can also take a cruise for at least one quick getaway during medical school to Cozumel's sapphire beaches without breaking the bank. (I figured out how to get the cruise for free with a hour of work, and it's also heavily discounted in winter if you like to just buy). It's still close enough to Houston if you crave any big city stuff, once in a while. Also, rotations can be in Houston or Austin if you'd like to change it up. Sure - it's not a big city. But frankly, IMO - you won't have that much free time in medical school to jerk off and get distracted in a big city anyways, when things get busy. Wait for after residency when you're board certified and you're super successful. No traffic during the most critical times in your life is actually a huge plus when you think about it.

Weather: It's absolutely humid in the summer, but definitely not unbearable, and I'm from dry Austin. There's a very nice sea-breeze that makes it feel better than Houston humidity and you'll keep your skin well-moisturized without the hassle. Make sure to get auto insurance coverage on flood damage. One of the easiest investments you can make to double your money with a junker car that can be easily totaled by flood. This happens somewhat often in the summer and you can switch insurance back to minimum every 6 months out of the hurricane season to maximize your odds of getting 4-5k, after getting cheap cheap $500 cars in a government auction, and getting paid 1k from anyone that makes a small dent in your junker's bumpers with a 24 hour dash cam.

Decision making process: As a personal anecdote - after a long internal debate, back then I chose UTMB pre-match over UTSW because (in order of importance):

1. Personal research interest in epidemiology/ID research, because I want to go into clinical trial research for vaccines and have a decent shot to make my mark in the world with the highest impact factor. (It's too difficult for MS to get into clinical trial research before graduating MD) They have the Galveston National Lab, only BSL-4 lab in the nation with Ebola etc. They have a not well known, exclusive training grant program from the NIH called the NIAID T35 (not available in UTSW), that pushes the PI to get you a shiny publication (with public funds at stake) to propel your research career forward, if you are interested in ID. This may also be a great plus if you're into Tropical Medicine.

2. The strong curriculum design. Note above. Also, lectures are optional and can be streamed.

3. The chillness/cooperativity culture (to counter the inevitable political nature of medical schools). Folks almost always generally help each other and share resources, lab powerpoints etc. I've gotten a lot of favors and given out a lot myself. It makes the medical school experience much better when someone is less likely to stab your back and more willing to help you out/socialize. Who else will want to pick up your call in 25 years and do you a solid? Your fellow medical student buddies that you've struggled with of course!!

4. An investment opportunity only possible in Galveston County that might make me self made millionaire rich, because the odds are really favorable (A year after my decision, I made enough to pay all 4 years of medical school with little work, still ongoing). But that's a long story. If you like that sort of stuff and you're considering UTMB, PM me.
(Note I don't care about money to buy luxuries, but money is absolutely important if you have an obsessive Messiah complex on saving the world from disease like I do.)

5. Not well known fact - but it's "easier" (you still need the academic merit etc) to get into a residency in Dell Medical School through UTMB because of old ties, if you play the match game right in terms of optimal game theory. My UG was from UT Austin and I really want to go back to Austin. My SO loves Austin and has friends there too. The city is poised for the quickest growth within 10 years. That would very likely make the Dell residency program very prestigious (within Texas) as well as being close to UT's eMBA program if I decide to enter mid career. Opportunity cost for MD/MBA precareer not worth it in my personal case. If Austin doesn't work, I'd still be happy in Houston since UT has a eMBA branch there. I personally think Texas is going to be the next prime medical technology hub beyond just medical devices, because of the current business-friendly environment and shift to commercial research due to Trump deep medical research budget cuts, according to what Vanguard Ventures top dog Jack Gill told me in person.

6. Continual investments in education and innovation. They are opening an "innovations in mind" facility, building another health education center, and already built a MakerSpace for 3D printing, ready to use (for pre-surgical operation innovations etc, Nation's First Medical Makerspace - www.utmb.edu/maker). I also happen to know the folks at UTMB Office of Technology Transfer and those patent lawyers really know their stuff. Recently, they got this other lab to receive millions as a cut from a Hep drug that made billions. UTMB got paid separate from the lab. They are likely going to continually reinvest that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Here is information that UTMB doesn't necessarily make apparent to applicants that have diverse interests. Perhaps my thought process might help you indicate areas of interest you already have and can prove OR help you make an informed decision. I'm in UTMB SOM and I seriously think UTMB is a hidden gem in my case. Here's why.

Education/Curriculum: I can tell you it's a great program that focuses on education quality. The curriculum is PBL focused are painstakingly made to maximize retention on patient stories. It's hard to describe, but it's definitely an art form that is practical as well. Few schools can master this. According to the Town Hall meeting slides (not publicly available to outside UTMB, but you can probably find someone with access to it to show you), the 2019 class got an average of 241 on USMLE Step 1, past the magical coveted 240. Considering that we admit ~250 medical school applicants around 3.8/32, I'd say it's not a preselection bias or error that resulted in a high score, as you might see in other "top medical schools" that don't care about your education, and constantly remind you of their Nobel laureate count. I personally know educators at UTMB that design the curriculum, so it helped me make the decision.

Reputation/Network: It's not apparent to many applicants, but UTMB has some really old ties relative to other medical schools, since we're the oldest state medical school and part of TMC. It's a little known fact that MD Anderson (#1 in Oncology worldwide, UTMB, MD Anderson to collaborate on League City campus | MD Anderson Cancer Center) is going to partner with UTMB in League City Campus for a Cancer Clinic, to be finished in 2018. The first partnership MDA is doing with a UT institution. It's not the top medical school (UTSW/Baylor) in terms of pure research prestige, but it is absolutely reputable enough (~top 40 NIH funding) to secure top partnerships, relative to UTH, UTSA and Texas A&M. Also, it has much better international than national reputation, because UTMB does more research in ID/epidemiology which impacts a lot more people worldwide.

Perception: The doctors and community are well-known for chillness and patient satisfaction relative to all other Texas schools. When you're in Galveston/Houston/Austin, you'll get a lot of instant "social proof" without the awkwardness of "ivory tower" prestige. In case you don't know what I mean, my dad went to Harvard and the phenomenon is commonly known as "dropping the H-bomb" within those circles. Also, starting off with any conversation with the beach and cruises gives others a comfortable feeling. But that's more of a personal preference to have a "best of both worlds" duality.

Weather: It's absolutely humid in the summer, but definitely not unbearable, and I'm from dry Austin. There's a very nice sea-breeze that makes it feel better than Houston humidity. Make sure to get auto insurance coverage on flood damage. One of the easiest investments you can make to double your money with a junker car that can be easily totalled by flood. This happens somewhat often in the summer and you can switch insurance back to minimum every 6 months out of the hurricane season to maximize your odds of getting 4-5k, after getting cheap cheap cars in a government auction, and getting paid 1k from anyone that makes a small dent in your junker's bumpers with a 24 hour dash cam.

Decision making process: As a personal anecdote - after a long internal debate, back then I chose UTMB pre-match over UTSW because (in order of importance):

1. Personal research interest in epidemiology/ID research, because I want to go into clinical trial research for vaccines and have a decent shot to make my mark in the world with the highest impact factor. (It's too difficult for MS to get into clinical trial research before graduating MD) They have the Galveston National Lab, only BSL-4 lab in the nation with Ebola etc. They have a not well known, exclusive training grant program from the NIH, not available in UTSW that pushes the PI to get you a shiny publication to propel your research career forward, if you are interested in ID.

2. The strong curriculum design. Note above.

3. The chillness/cooperativity culture (to counter the inevitable political nature of medical schools)

4. An investment opportunity only possible in Galveston County that might make me self made millionaire rich, because the odds are really favorable (A year after my decision, I made enough to pay all 4 years of medical school with little work, still ongoing). But that's a long story. If you like that sort of stuff and you're considering UTMB, PM me.

(Note I don't care about money to buy luxuries, but money is absolutely important if you have an obsessive Messiah complex on saving the world from disease like I do.)

5. Not well known fact - but it's "easier" (you still need the academic merit etc) to get into a residency in Dell Medical School through UTMB because of old ties, if you play the match game right in terms of optimal game theory. My UG was from UT Austin and I really want to go back to Austin. My SO loves Austin and has friends there too. The city is poised for the quickest growth within 10 years. That would very likely make the residency program very prestigious (within Texas) as well as being close to UT's eMBA program if I decide to enter mid career. Opportunity cost for MD/MBA precareer not worth it in my personal case. If Austin doesn't work, I'd still be happy in Houston since UT has a eMBA branch there. I personally think Texas is going to be the next prime medical technology hub beyond just medical devices.

6. Continual investments in education and innovation. They are opening an "innovations in mind" facility, building another health education center, and already built a MakerSpace for 3D printing, ready to use (for pre-surgical operation innovations etc). I also happen to know the folks at UTMB Office of Technology Transfer and those patent lawyers really know their stuff. Recently, they got this other lab to receive millions as a cut from a Hep drug.

That was a lot and you should seriously get paid by admissions to teach them how to sell the school better. Thanks for this post

Reactions: 2 users
That was a lot and you should seriously get paid by admissions to teach them how to sell the school better. Thanks for this post

You're welcome. UTMB doesn't readily invest in the "right" marketing materials as much as I'd like, unfortunately. You're absolutely right - they should, and I'm actually working on that indirectly as a volunteer project.

Last edited:
I'm conflicted about UTMB because I loved the school and all the people I met on interview day, but just cannot see myself living in Galveston for 4 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Here is information that UTMB doesn't necessarily make apparent to applicants who are diverse in their interests. In fact, even the medical students or admissions don't know some of these items that may be pertinent to your case. I've put more manhours into choosing which Texas medical school to attend over my application and MCAT combined.

Perhaps my thought process might help you indicate areas of interest you already have and can prove OR help you make an informed decision. I'm in UTMB SOM and I seriously think UTMB is a hidden gem in my case. Here's why.

Education/Curriculum: It's a great program that focuses on education quality. The curriculum is PBL focused, PBL cases are painstakingly made (I saw the process and number/quality of revisions) to maximize retention on patient stories. It's hard to describe concisely, but it's definitely an art form, that is practical as well. Few schools can master this. According to the Town Hall meeting slides (not publicly available to outside UTMB, but you can probably find someone with access to it to show you), the 2019 class got an average of 241 on USMLE Step 1, past the magical coveted 240. Considering that we admit ~250 medical school applicants around 3.8/32, I'd say it's not a preselection bias or error that resulted in a high score, as you might see in certain "top medical schools" that don't care about your education, comprised of a significant amount of "loners", and constantly remind you of their Nobel laureate count snobbishly. I personally know educators at UTMB that design the curriculum and showed me how they changed the curriculum significantly several years ago to make the jump from sub 220s.

Reputation/Network: It's not apparent to many applicants, but UTMB has some really old ties relative to other medical schools, since we're the oldest state medical school and part of TMC. It's a little known fact that MD Anderson (#1 in Oncology worldwide, UTMB, MD Anderson to collaborate on League City campus | MD Anderson Cancer Center) is going to partner with UTMB in League City Campus for a cancer clinic, to be finished in 2018. The first partnership MDA is doing with a UT institution. UTMB is not the top medical school (UTSW/Baylor) in terms of pure research prestige, but it is absolutely reputable enough (~top 40 NIH funding) to secure top partnerships, relative to UTH, UTSA and Texas A&M. Also, it has much better international than national reputation, because UTMB does more research in ID/epidemiology which impacts a lot more people worldwide, a huge plus for public health. Look at the match list for UTMB. You have a good shot at any residency. The long-time, exclusive contract with TDCJ also provides one of the most diverse patient populations.

Perception: The doctors and community are well-known for chillness and patient satisfaction relative to all other Texas schools. When you're in Galveston/Houston/Austin, you'll get a lot of instant "social proof" without the awkwardness of "ivory tower" prestige. In case you don't know what I mean, my dad went to Harvard and the phenomenon is commonly known as "dropping the H-bomb" within those circles. Also, starting off with any conversation with the beach and cruises gives others a comfortable feeling. But that's more of a personal preference to have a "best of both worlds" duality.

Location: Location wise, Galveston is not a big city, but it's one of the top 3 best ROI vacation rental areas in the nation, and you can get some nice touristy stuff in between the 4 years when you have time. You can also take a cruise for at least one quick getaway during medical school to Cozumel's sapphire beaches without breaking the bank. (I figured out how to get the cruise for free with a hour of work, and it's also heavily discounted in winter if you like to just buy). It's still close enough to Houston if you crave any big city stuff, once in a while. Also, rotations can be in Houston or Austin if you'd like to change it up. Sure - it's not a big city. But frankly, IMO - you won't have that much free time in medical school to jerk off and get distracted in a big city anyways, when things get busy. Wait for after residency when you're board certified and you're super successful. No traffic during the most critical times in your life is actually a huge plus when you think about it.

Weather: It's absolutely humid in the summer, but definitely not unbearable, and I'm from dry Austin. There's a very nice sea-breeze that makes it feel better than Houston humidity and you'll keep your skin well-moisturized without the hassle. Make sure to get auto insurance coverage on flood damage. One of the easiest investments you can make to double your money with a junker car that can be easily totaled by flood. This happens somewhat often in the summer and you can switch insurance back to minimum every 6 months out of the hurricane season to maximize your odds of getting 4-5k, after getting cheap cheap $500 cars in a government auction, and getting paid 1k from anyone that makes a small dent in your junker's bumpers with a 24 hour dash cam.

1. Personal research interest in epidemiology/ID research, because I want to go into clinical trial research for vaccines and have a decent shot to make my mark in the world with the highest impact factor. (It's too difficult for MS to get into clinical trial research before graduating MD) They have the Galveston National Lab, only BSL-4 lab in the nation with Ebola etc. They have a not well known, exclusive training grant program from the NIH called the NIAID T35 (not available in UTSW), that pushes the PI to get you a shiny publication (with public funds at stake) to propel your research career forward, if you are interested in ID. This may also be a great plus if you're into Tropical Medicine.

2. The strong curriculum design. Note above. Also, lectures are optional and can be streamed.

3. The chillness/cooperativity culture (to counter the inevitable political nature of medical schools). Folks almost always generally help each other and share resources, lab powerpoints etc. I've gotten a lot of favors and given out a lot myself. It makes the medical school experience much better when someone is less likely to stab your back and more willing to help you out/socialize. Who else will want to pick up your call in 25 years and do you a solid? Your fellow medical student buddies that you've struggled with of course!!

5. Not well known fact - but it's "easier" (you still need the academic merit etc) to get into a residency in Dell Medical School through UTMB because of old ties, if you play the match game right in terms of optimal game theory. My UG was from UT Austin and I really want to go back to Austin. My SO loves Austin and has friends there too. The city is poised for the quickest growth within 10 years. That would very likely make the Dell residency program very prestigious (within Texas) as well as being close to UT's eMBA program if I decide to enter mid career. Opportunity cost for MD/MBA precareer not worth it in my personal case. If Austin doesn't work, I'd still be happy in Houston since UT has a eMBA branch there. I personally think Texas is going to be the next prime medical technology hub beyond just medical devices, because of the current business-friendly environment and shift to commercial research due to Trump deep medical research budget cuts, according to what Vanguard Ventures top dog Jack Gill told me in person.

6. Continual investments in education and innovation. They are opening an "innovations in mind" facility, building another health education center, and already built a MakerSpace for 3D printing, ready to use (for pre-surgical operation innovations etc, Nation's First Medical Makerspace - www.utmb.edu/maker). I also happen to know the folks at UTMB Office of Technology Transfer and those patent lawyers really know their stuff. Recently, they got this other lab to receive millions as a cut from a Hep drug that made billions. UTMB got paid separate from the lab. They are likely going to continually reinvest that.

I appreciate this post SO much. Thank you!!

I'm conflicted about UTMB because I loved the school and all the people I met on interview day, but just cannot see myself living in Galveston for 4 years.

This was my biggest worry too, but everyone I talked to seemed to like it there, so I'm trying not to focus on that too much
Why not? Think of all the hours of traffic jam you will avoid

Until you have to commute to the psych rotation in Houston :dead:

Just received my first II from here, beyond excited right now! Lizzy M 66

Just received my first II from here, beyond excited right now! Lizzy M 66

Do you have a 3.8+ or 3.9+ GPA? If you don't want to share you could PM me. I'm just wondering if they are inviting people with higher GPAs at the moment

Do you have a 3.8+ or 3.9+ GPA? If you don't want to share you could PM me. I'm just wondering if they are inviting people with higher GPAs at the moment

Completely anecdotal, but I had a LizzyM of 66, ORM, and my TMDSAS gpa was only a 3.4 (4.0 in my non-SMP Master's). I interviewed at UTMB this past Friday.

Completely anecdotal, but I had a LizzyM of 66, ORM, and my TMDSAS gpa was only a 3.4 (4.0 in my non-SMP Master's). I interviewed at UTMB this past Friday.

+1. LizzyM: 68, ORM, 3.5 gpa. The assistant dean said that the median MCAT would go up this year (from last year's 508) so they might be seeing a higher mcat/lower gpa more favorably than before?

Did you guys get an email about your IIs? I'm a Lizzy M 69, IS, ORM waiting patiently :( hope they get to me lol

Did you guys get an email about your IIs? I'm a Lizzy M 69, IS, ORM waiting patiently :( hope they get to me lol

+1, Fingers crossed for both of us.

Last edited: